Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 12th April 2008, 11:01   #211
BANNED

Aan de! Aan de!
I'm now more curious to hear what that unfortunate incident was!
Something serious?
Old 12th April 2008, 12:03   #212
Team-BHP Support

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
We Dilli-wallahs have spoilt him with him getting a vocabulary expansion on every visit!!
Only thing is he means/thinks something in english and translates that to something else in hindi, naughty boy sam
Old 12th April 2008, 12:48   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
And I guess the green ones are the really spicy ones, correct?
Generally yes. There are some which are almost sweet. And a couple of varieties (less than 1cm long) which even fire will fear!
Quote:
Sorry, but where did you learn your German? It is damn good! This cannot just be translated on the computer or?
Danke vielmals! Learnt it in India 24 years back. Alte Boschler. Have lived in the Mare's Garden for some time, and my favorite weekend haunt used to be the Schwartzwald (half my kingdom for echte Schwartzwalder Kirchtorte and Schnapps)!
Quote:
About phaiu: could it possibly mean "for you"?
Nowhere near! It is "five" as pronounced by most in Mumbai!!! *running for cover*
Old 12th April 2008, 13:07   #214
Senior - BHPian

All these experiences apart -

@ The One - Did Sam take you to watch a Bollywood movie on the big screen?

If not - you have missed another mind blowing experience.
Old 12th April 2008, 13:34   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post

@ The One - Did Sam take you to watch a Bollywood movie on the big screen?
No baba, she needs subtitles. She won't enjoy a movie she can't understand.
Old 12th April 2008, 14:01   #216
Senior - BHPian

Arre explain to her the story before the movie starts. bas !!

I can watch Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Japanese etc without knowing a word.

Movies and Music know no language barrier my boy !

You just sit back and enjoy.
Old 12th April 2008, 14:04   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn NC you are like my brother.. he used to watch south Indian movies after office sometimes in that theater near king circle & he actually used to enjoy them
Old 12th April 2008, 14:09   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Sam's ticket is something like 20 or 50 Rupees, mine is almost 1.200!
Simple solution for that : Come to India, stay here & get an Indian Citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
However TheOne® is still sleepy and I let her snooze for a while. I take some funny pictures of her sleeping, but those are unpublishable. By Order.
Would love to see those pics

Quote:
I stare at him. "Chalo kuchch bhi nahi milega, chalo" he stares at me back and walks away.
I didn't know that Elephants were afraid of YETI

Quote:
OH WOOOWWW!! A river laundry.
Attachment 8091
Welcome to INDIA

Quote:
Next: The eternally beautiful Taj Mahal and an unfortunate incident.
Don't keep us on toe-tips forever
Old 12th April 2008, 14:26   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Danke vielmals! Learnt it in India 24 years back. Alte Boschler. Have lived in the Mare's Garden for some time, and my favorite weekend haunt used to be the Schwartzwald (half my kingdom for echte Schwartzwalder Kirchtorte and Schnapps)!
24 years back? Wow, you must have put a lot of effort into not forgetting anything.

Well, unfortunately I cannot bring any Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte with me next time but for sure there can be something done about the Schnaps haha. Which one? Kirsche as well or rather Marille, Williams Christ Birne, Holunder, Brombeer, Himbeer, Pfirsich etc. etc. or some Kräuterschnaps??? Let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Nowhere near! It is "five" as pronounced by most in Mumbai!!! *running for cover*
OMG - I am shaking with laughter - I couldn't have been more mistaken

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Arre explain to her the story before the movie starts. bas !!

I can watch Tamil, Kannada, Telugu, Japanese etc without knowing a word.

Movies and Music know no language barrier my boy !

You just sit back and enjoy.
I prefer having the subtitles. The one movie we watched some things were said without subtitles and you could see the question marks circling around my head lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Simple solution for that : Come to India, stay here & get an Indian Citizenship
Very sorry, no offense, but I am proud to be German!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
Would love to see those pics
No way, Sam don't you dare!
Indian or German, women are women and you will get into trouble if you do this lol!
Old 12th April 2008, 14:39   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Very sorry, no offense, but I am proud to be German!
Why would that be offensive at all? You should be proud of being who you are.

We understand perfectly. We are all proud to be Indians.
Old 12th April 2008, 14:42   #221
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
How does she live the YetiLife then ?
Old 12th April 2008, 14:46   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
How does she live the YetiLife then ?
If there is one thing this lovely lady understands, it is the YetiLife®. And that's why we're so happy together.
She understands it and loves it and lives it. A life, larger than life.

She loves my writing and often refuses to talk to me just so she can read every word I write.

She writes beautifully herself, with no assistance (in a language that is not even her own, I can only imagine how wonderfully she would write in German!)

What can I say? I'm lucky to have found her

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 12th April 2008 at 14:50.
Old 12th April 2008, 15:52   #223
BHPian

Can't miss a single hour without checking on this Travelogue. Sam please don't make us wait further on the Agra stuff.
Old 12th April 2008, 17:41   #224
BHPian

Default Continuation of Day 6 - Agra Part II/III

From the hotel we drive to the Baby Taj. It looks supernice! Very fine, filigree architecture, light colours, various inlay-works - all of that uniting to make an extraordinary piece of art.
Around it is a huge park which provides the Baby Taj just with the right and worthy surroundings.

We enter and take a look. From the entrance hall we go right and see two tombs.
See Jenny, the wife was put here later!
What, why?
See how one tomb is put into the exact centre of the room and the other not? That one was added much later.
Aaaah, I understand - pretty interesting. Just one little mistake in your explanation: it was him who was added later, the written information outside says that she died first hahaha.
Sigh, those Germans!

I take a look at the other tomb opposite the one we just stood in. From there I want to go back but obviously take the wrong exit as all of a sudden I am standing in front of a third tomb. Huh? Sam, where are you?
I am here

Where honey? Look, there is another tomb here!
Suddenly he appears amazing! I didn't know that.

I am not entirely sure but either we even found a 4th tomb after that or we ended up being in one of the first ones again lol. I was a bit confused by then. We rest a bit in the park outside watching the squirrels running around and then make our way back to the car: time for the Taj Mahal! yeah.

We are dropped close by, no cars allowed within a radius of 1 km. Okay! Lots of people come running by offering us to go by rickshaw, camel cart or horse. No no no, it doesn't look to me as if those camels are properly dealt with and I don't want some poor guy on a cycle to have to drag both Sam's and my weight to the Taj, that is deadly hahaha.

So we walk - though after a couple of minutes I curse myself. Selfish thoughts come up: so what if some guy had to struggle with our weight and be half-dead afterwards, at least we would have been there already! It is so bloody hot. I feel a bit dizzy so I take a quick break. Sam is a bit worried but I assure him that I just need water. Again, ours was empty so we hurry onwards to be able to buy some more. After that is done we get the tickets. Having to pay such an enormous price myself I am granted a little bottle of water and some cotton covers to impose on my shoes for the Taj itself. hahaha! I would have taken my shoes off as well, but okay.

We go through security check and enter with a crowd of people around us. Lol, typically woman I now need a toilet - so we rush to the other end of the building and wow, what do my eyes see: it is free for me but Indians have to pay! Hehehehe, how silly.
Anyways, this time I am warned - I check every cabin until I find a "Western toilet" lol.

We approach the Taj Mahal. We can already see it through the gate, small in the background behind some gardens and fountains, lalalalala - there it is. Sam tells me to walk right in the middle of the way, let it slowly come closer - and wow, as I do so it just seems to get bigger and bigger! What effect! We walk until the end of the platform right up to the stairs that lead down into the garden. The Taj seems huge and it is simply overwhelming. I am blown away.

We stop to make some pictures, of course I have to do the mandatory "I hold the top of the Taj in my hands" picture lol. Some really nice guy walks up to us and offers to take some pictures of the two of us together, brilliant. After that we walk along that water pipe/fountain thing towards the Taj. Stopping now and then to take pictures, being asked by Indians a couple of times to have a picture with them as well. Huh? Well, okay - I don't really understand why as I don't know them but fine with me lol.

We finally reach the Taj itself. Sam takes off his shoes, I put on those cotton covers and off we are, up the stairs to have a close look at this fantastic monument. Shame, there are so many people with us at the same time - that is the only bothering point. As I take a look at the building I realise the marble is not only white! Wow, from the pictures I had seen so far it always seemed to be a complete white building but on the contrary. And all those fancy hand-made inlays everywhere! Who would have expected anything like that? I am speechless. Some guy explains the work of the inlays to us, illuminating them with a small little torch, showing us which ones are still the original precious stones and which ones were taken by the Brits. It is all very interesting, I am all ears.

Now we are inside the Taj, together with dozens of people and pigeons haha. I look around - GREAT! Just imagine the amount of work, the capabilities and expertise of the architects and constructors (I am told that their hand were cut off afterwards so they wouldn't be able to build another monument like that - wow), the energy that the 20.000 workers put into this (again I am told that if they broke one side of a marble stone or didn't perform up to expectation they had to start all over again, Jesus), and the time it must have taken to build all this, 17 years altogether wow. And all of that, so that Shah Jahan could pay his last respects to his wife after her death. Sad, romantic and cruel - all of that mixed together. I am also told that Shah Jahan wanted to build a similar building out of black marble on the other side of the park for himself, obviously that was too much for his son who got him imprisoned in the Red Fort!

We walk around inside, shame you cannot go any further, I see archways and other halls stretching further out. We are admiring the architecture, the fine work, all so well-thought, so beautiful. The tomb is surrounded by some fine open-worked walls, that are supposed to have the shape of Mumtaz' crown.
Such a sweet idea, don't you think Sam?
Hmmm, women! Haha, but ja I guess so.
We need to take some pictures, please.
No way, not allowed!
No? Oh boohoo.
Well, lets see about that!

We go outside again and continue the photo shoot of the Taj Mahal, with and without towers, from every possible angle lol, with and without ourselves on the pictures. We have great fun though it happens more than once that some guys jump into Sam's pictures in order to get a picture of that firang as well - in the beginning it is amusing, in the end not so much anymore. Then we lie down outside on the cooling marble for a bit to relax.

After that we go and take a look at the mosque next to the Taj. We see some people washing themselves outside and Sam explains the way of how it has to be done to me. I had no idea this was such a ritual, wow. We enter as far as it is allowed and look around. Of course, it is also a great building but of course the Taj cannot be topped by anything anymore this day.

In the very end I beg Sam to go into the Taj with me again: purpose is some quick sneaky pictures! In, click, click, and out - I am superhappy!!!

To be continued once Sam has uploaded the pictures and added his part of the story...!
Old 12th April 2008, 17:42   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which one? Kirsche as well or rather Marille, Williams Christ Birne, Holunder, Brombeer, Himbeer, Pfirsich etc. etc. or some Kräuterschnaps???
Kirsche, Pfirsich or Birne, shank you berry mush! Hic!
Quote:
OMG - I am shaking with laughter - I couldn't have been more mistaken
So, the next time around you will understand phiphtin, tonti-phaiu, thatti-phaiu, phiphti-phaiu or schewanti-phaiu when you hear it!
Quote:
...you could see the question marks circling around my head lol.
I can imagine - big yellow flashing 3D ones!
Closed Thread