Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2008, 20:54   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Next time you can up the difficulty by trying it out in south india with crazier rules of survival on road.
Patirnce my friend, their trip is not over as yet. There is much to be revealed.........(Muhahahahahaha = Evil laughter)
Old 16th April 2008, 20:55   #377
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Such a refreshing insight into everything through this travelogue. Great going Sam and Jenny. Jenny should have had a lot of nerves to drive in India during her first visit. And Sam should have had even more nerves to let her drive.

Last edited by pjbiju : 16th April 2008 at 20:56.
Old 16th April 2008, 21:03   #378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Nothing happened baba, hence I said uneventful. GoAir, the flight was normal, not delayed - but in my eagerness to book cheap flights, I did not relaise the flight was via Ahmedabad with a stopover. (No change)
Oh Ok.

I see Jenny online & so awaiting the next report

I know she has her work but the I am eager for more logs
Old 16th April 2008, 21:17   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Oh Ok.

I see Jenny online & so awaiting the next report

I know she has her work but the I am eager for more logs
Sorry sorry! As you said I have to work and now I am challenged by my bossto play a round of kicker he he, how can I say no? AH, life is hard!

Promise: the next post will be made when I am home!
Old 16th April 2008, 21:52   #380
Team-BHP Support

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Patirnce my friend, their trip is not over as yet. There is much to be revealed.........(Muhahahahahaha = Evil laughter)
oh oh.. i spoke too soon cant wait for this part
Old 16th April 2008, 22:53   #381
BHPian

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

The autobahn is a faster drive, the situation is far more dynamic than slow moving indian traffic, yes, Indian traffic is slow moving.

Learnt this 10 years when a friend came down for the first time to India and drove on the highways - at that time there were no fancy highways and tollways with lane segregations. We just had one road with 2 lanes, one for up traffic and one for down traffic like the Bombay Pune highway. (not expressway).

The girl driving the car said that things are too slow in India.

Jenny might have found it slow and not as dynamic as Deutschland.

Especially with the traffic segregated from Shahjahanpur (turnoff to Neemrana to Gurgaon)

Great writeup with photos.

Mods: any question of having admission charges in the future ?

Cheers

M M M
Old 16th April 2008, 23:09   #382
BHPian

Default Day 10 and 11

As Sam already said we chilled out in Mumbai the next day. That way we got to spend a bit more time with his father and enjoyed more Bollywood.

Last but not least I get to see a little more of Bandra. I enjoy walking along the seaside but the heat and humidity are killing me. Change of climate again after coming back!

We stroll around the area, Sam points out and explains several things to me about the history, about culture and habits and so on. It is all pretty relaxing and we are chatting happily away. I am pretty aware of this coconut oil in my hair after that massage treatment
Sam, I am running around with totally greasy hair lol! Ah well, actually why bother? Nobody knows me here.
Oh, but it is Sunday my dear and this is really not uncommon to see in India, trust me!

So we go on, end up in a coffee shop and finally go back home. Soon after we have to get ready as we are invited for dinner to Sam MD's house. I know the family from work in Germany, have met all of them before and I am looking forward to seeing them again. It is a pleasant evening with delicious food and some excellent red wine!

Next day: "it's just another manic Monday, wish it were Sunday..."
Sam needs to go to work again. I follow a bit later seeing to it first that our suitcases are packed again for the next day and doing a few other necessary things. Sam's driver is taking me to the office, though he does speak very little English we understand each other. Not only today but also during our previous stays in Mumbai he sees to everything, taking care of Sam and I in a very sweet way.

After some time in the office, Sam and I get invited to spend the evening with his MD's son. He had not made it the previous day for dinner and so we are planning on an evening with the two of us, him and his girlfriend. We drive to his apartment, where we enjoy the evening with some good wine and some very good Chinese take-away. Both of them are very sweet, the four of us are laughing a lot and as the evening advances TheOne® gets a little drunk! cheers:

End of day 11! God, time is going by too fast.

Next to come: our trip to Bangalore and the East Coast!
Old 16th April 2008, 23:20   #383
BHPian

Wow!!!!!!!!! Very nice travelogue. In fact i was waiting for the next trip you are about to write. Welcome to Bengalooru travellogue writing... Eagerly waiting to see Bengalooru from your perspective.
Old 17th April 2008, 01:34   #384
BHPian

@TheOne® -

Just awesome - I am enjoying every bit of this travelouge especially the way you explained the '"sounds"..

At the police station

"WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM"...

"WHACH WHACK WHACK WHACK"....

And now

Murp murp!!!
Toot toot
Doodledeedoo doodledeedoo doodledeedoo!!!
Deedle dee deedle dee deedle dee…
Old 17th April 2008, 03:28   #385

Hey Sam, hey sis,

it is fun reading all of this, I am enjoying it very much. I was going to read it from the beginning but I only made it to page 9. It's just too much! So I simply clicked through the pages looking at the pictures and reading a post here and there.
Now I definitely know I want to visit you guys! Perhaps next year after I'm done with school.... And after reading TheOne's report on driving in India, guess what else I want to do ^^. And believe me, I won't hesitate using the horn ^^!
Also liked the pictures of the fort and the stepwell, I bet both have a very interessting history. I will try to stick to this thread more constant from now on, so keep it coming...

TheBrother®
Old 17th April 2008, 04:45   #386
BHPian

You two had a great time at Neemrana and the northern part of India. But the oncoming part of your travelogue is much awaited by us southies!!
Old 17th April 2008, 10:10   #387
BANNED

WHAT?????
You guys came down south??? Sam!!! Not fair! Absolutely not fair.

Ok, let me forgive you for now!

@TheOne. Sure, next time you are coming to God's own country for sure. Or we will make Sam drink lots of brandy everytime he says Kerala.
Old 17th April 2008, 10:27   #388
Senior - BHPian

Very funny reading that bit about driving. FYI, those captions behind the trucks to 'blow horn' or 'sound horn' are all an absolute must for those trucks as per the Motor Vehicles Act as are a few other bits of information.

awaiting the bandwagon's tryst into bangalore, chennai & pondicherry.
Old 17th April 2008, 11:27   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Beautiful pics!
Sam..just wondering.. what are those 'matkas'/pots doing on the roof,in one of those pics? Is it just decoration?
Love the setting where you both had dinner. Looks so inviting.
TO KEEP THE TEMPERATURE IN CONTROL. Those are old ways of Air Conditioning. These pots keeps the room kool in summers and warm in winters.
Old 17th April 2008, 13:14   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® 1st April 2008

Wake up - it's time to wake up the queen of the snooze button.
We have a flight to catch - to BANGALORE! The city of Gardens and traffic jams and one-ways and no-entrys!!
We reach the airport well in time. The flight is delayed by 15 minutes.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0070_thumb.jpg

Hey Jenny, it's April Fools day!
Oh yes, I forgot! Let's do something crazy.
Like what?
Let's call my Dad and tell him that I'm never coming back to Germany.
Umm...heh heh heh

We soon drop the idea. It may be April Fools day, but I am not a fool. That might not turn out to be funny. He has real guns.

The driver is late (or so we think) - my mobile has gone for a toss and I'm using Jenny's Samsung - BUT it doesn't have the driver's number. After a few calls I find out an hour later that he is still hunting for parking near the airport. Welcome to Bangalore!

We decide to get home and have some fruit for lunch. First stop Brigade Road.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0073_thumb.jpg

Jenny is amazed to see the red bananas, she's never seen them before. Well, we don't get them in Mumbai or Delhi either.
She's a big fruit freak and India's the land for fresh fruit of all variety. This makes her super happy.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0076_thumb.jpg

Soon we reach home, unpack.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0085_thumb.jpg
Eat and we're off. First I must visit the JBL store across and then later the office at Mission Road. An hour and a half later, I'm free. I already know what Jenny would like to see.

Bangalore is a very fortunate city. I hear people complain to me about the traffic, the poor infrastructure, the weird government laws - but what bustling city is so full of gardens and trees? A drive through Cubbon Park and I can already see Jenny's face softening.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0103_thumb.jpg

It's green!
Yes.
This is what a city should look like. Shops, traffic yes, OK, but patches of gardens and forests.

Yes. Smiling. I have someplace to take you.

From Mission Road, Lalbag is hardly 10 minutes away. Anand takes us there and waits outside.
Ah the botanical garden of Lalbag. I have tried to visit it whenever I have had time in Bangalore. It is such a shame that I don't see enough young people there. Is it not cool to go and sit amongst the trees? Or is everyone busy trying to modify their car?
If my office was close to Lalbag, I would bring my sandwich here and sit quietly listening to the birds sing for me during lunch.
Expectedly, Jenny loves Lalbag. She skips through happily, staring at the trees and flowers. God, she looks happy. I'm grinning like an idiot.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0105_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0109_thumb.jpg

We walk on past the centre of the garden to the lake. In our perpetual effort to be busy, we often forget what a beautiful lake there is in the middle of Lalbag. So clean, green and beautiful. Nothing is crowded, it's a monday afternoon.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0136_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0143_thumb.jpg

We sit quietly on the bench near the lake for a little while, listening to the bulbuls and mynas, watching the pelicans. I get up to take a few pictures, leaving her on the bench.

5 minutes later, she's fast asleep.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0139_thumb.jpg

I smile and sit around, relaxed, smelling the water and the leaves and grass around me. A few kids cross us, staring at this white chick fast asleep on the bench, but nobody bothers us.
In a short while she's awake and we walk around the serene lake. I cannot believe I am slap-bang in the middle of super busy Bangalore.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0147_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0148_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0159_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0163_thumb.jpg

We reach the lotus Pond and I take one of my favourite pictures of this trip.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0170_thumb.jpg

Now it's time to leave Lalbag. Walking through nature has worked up a healthy appetite and we drop in to Mocha, near Lavelle Road. Coffee and Cake - Kaffee und Kuchen - a true German tradition. However the Mocha dessert proves to be very heavy.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0180_thumb.jpg

We relax here quietly for a while and slowly amble home. Some quiet time in the beautiful peaceful JBL guesthouse - (It wasn't so peaceful when we had that infamous Bangalore party eh?, here's a refresher )
We get dressed and Hop in to Sunny's, across the road for some salad. Maybe that Mocha cake was not such a good idea.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0184_thumb.jpg

We sit around the house and wait for Rudra and Jaggu.
(Surprise twist in the story - she did meet some Team-BHPians after all, lol)

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0189_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0193_thumb.jpg

They arrive late. Some drinks, conversations and Biryani from Shezaan. A great evening.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0198_thumb.jpg

End of day 12. It's been fun.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 17th April 2008 at 13:31.
Closed Thread