Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 9th April 2008, 17:34   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Because I'm speechless. Just because some Kapasi has a bag shop, lol.
And looks like he could do with some of your english lessons as well.
Old 9th April 2008, 17:42   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Another great Blog from The Yeti

I am glued to this thread now.

Awaiting The One's comments
Old 9th April 2008, 18:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

Default My bet is...

I have 5 rupees that TheOne® (who must be obeyed) will have him wearing Lederhosen and playing rap music on his accordion within 6 months. Any takers?
Attached Images

Old 9th April 2008, 18:25   #34
BHPian

Welcome to India and Mumbai Jenny. Good to see you here and even better when trying to get into our common Indian Dresses.

do get in touch if you need any help with buying some good Indian wear. though sam has already managed to take you places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Indian attire looks gooooooood on you Jenny
I quite agree with Jaggu. you look really nice in them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
(pardon me am yet to figure out, kurtaa from a punjabi dress??? <scratching my head>)
Kurta is just the upper part of the punjabi dress while Punjabi dress itself is an ensemble of Kurta, Pyjama ( also called salwar kameez ) with a duppata.

Mansi
Old 9th April 2008, 18:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post

Kurta is just the upper part of the punjabi dress while Punjabi dress itself is an ensemble of Kurta, Pyjama ( also called salwar kameez ) with a duppata.

Mansi

Thanks for the clarification, manaa. I thought i always knew, but forgot.

Yep, got to agree with the views here. TheOne looks great in Indian outfits. I am waiting to see her try the Saree.
Old 9th April 2008, 20:50   #36
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that TheOne® finally made it to India!
The salwar-kameez looks good. TheOne® actually looks like a Punjabi,I'd say!
Old 9th April 2008, 21:42   #37
BHPian

Cool blog Sam keep it coming; the pics are amazing looking at the streets of Fort and VT seems you had planned a Sunday visit to be away from the normal hustle and bustle.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:43   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Cool blog Sam keep it coming; the pics are amazing looking at the streets of Fort and VT seems you had planned a Sunday visit to be away from the normal hustle and bustle.
But the date is mentioned quite clearly- 21st March 2008, which was a friday
Old 9th April 2008, 21:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

Its always interesting when someone with a different perspective observes something that would generally get lost on us due to familiarity.

On my Dad's first foreign trip, he took a photograph of a road junction. Circled a portion on the photograph that depicted a corner on the junction and labelled it "No Chai shop". (Those days prints used to have white borders)

Thanks for this thread, we are tired of seeing only the Taj Mahal as India.
Old 9th April 2008, 21:56   #40
BHPian

Quote:
But the date is mentioned quite clearly- 21st March 2008, which was a friday
Oops missed the date does not seem to be crowded even on a friday.
Old 9th April 2008, 22:10   #41
Senior - BHPian

hey sam, how come u didnt include hyderabad in the trip? maybe next time i guess

do plan a proper trip of hyd which should include proper sightseeing and shopping, hyd has many places like the chowmahalla palace apart from charminar. also if poss a place called araku near vizag and a 3/5 day cruise on the river godavari, both of them will show u the actual sights, foods and culture of andhra.

Last edited by aadix : 9th April 2008 at 22:16.
Old 9th April 2008, 23:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
The One, did you enjoy it?
Most certainly lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sam,

Your photos are enlightning, small simple things which we miss to see in life, is observed my TheOne.
That's because you see it every day!

Quote:
Wo bist du Jenny? I have the next set of pictures ready. We're waiting for your impressions.
Mr. Kapasi, I had no idea that you had already started this thread this morning! And I am even more surprised to find it already 3 pages long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Yep, got to agree with the views here. TheOne looks great in Indian outfits. I am waiting to see her try the Saree.
Thanks for all the compliments Though I must tell you from the start that you will not get to see me in a saree, that will come next time!
Old 10th April 2008, 00:04   #43
BHPian

Okay, here we go:

My part of the story begins at Frankfurt airport. Two of my sibling plus my niece and nephew drop me off. I have been there many times before but where the heck is the counter of Air India now? The three of us look at each other, look around, a bit confused, then I see an Indian family coming by and laugh "come on, lets follow them"! Sure enough they lead us the right direction. After check-in we have breakfast together and then I am off! Yeah... finally!

I get on the plane and looking at my seat I realise it is not the promised emergency exit! OH NO. I turn around to the steward "Sir, there must be a mistake..." Well, turns out to be the best that could have happened to me, I had an entire row for myself, could stretch out, and was right next to the little kitchen. Was being offered water before we even took off (wow!), made jokes with the crew, and then went to sleep only waking up for the meals which were quite good.

We arrive at Mumbai airport. As soon as I step out of the plane I am running against a wall of heat and humidity. Good lord - I quickly take off my jacket cursing myself I am even wearing something with long sleeves underneath - why did I not pack a t-shirt in my hand luggage?

The very few Germans that were on this plane kind of crowd together, we help each other to find our way haha. Turns out all of them will have the same flight back, quite funny.

I go through immigration and customs, all of it no problem. Finally, I get my suitcase and make my way out. I don't perceive it that crowded - Sam, where was this picture taken? I didn't see any of this hustle bustle. But maybe I was blinded lol - cause as soon as I step out I see him! Right in front of me, not to miss. My heart jumps up and down - I am here, in India, with him!

On our way to its home we stop for some coffee at a hotel. Talking talking talking... getting back into the car to finally go to his house. While driving I keep looking outside the window, observing Mumbai at night. It seems full of people and traffic, the atmosphere is louder than what I am used to, the air a bit more polluted, the heat at night still so present that I wonder what it will be like the next day - but nevertheless people are smiling and everything looks quite cheerful, lots of lights and music everywhere, all those tiny little shops in between. Some things remind me of Latin America, some other things bring up memories of South Africa, but no matter what I have seen so far I realise that all of this is still very different, yet it is too early to grasp all of it. I am fascinated and I cannot wait to see more.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:09   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
Mr. Kapasi, I had no idea that you had already started this thread this morning! And I am even more surprised to find it already 3 pages long.
You should be surprised that it is only 3 pages long. That means folks here have actually been busy, LOL . Any thread that Sam starts would run into reams before the end of the day (on a normal day).
Old 10th April 2008, 01:12   #45
BHPian

I wake up early, Jesus what noise from outside - Rikshas hooting, people shouting, cars driving by - no way I can go on sleeping, especially as those houses here have no blinds on the windows, full sunlight in the room. That's it - time to get up.

After a lovely breakfast with Sam's Dad we go downtown.
Oh my God, what traffic! As if he can read my thoughts, Sam says: "we are lucky, traffic is not too bad at the moment". What? I am sure I must have misunderstood. As I look at him in doubt he bursts out laughing, I realise he is serious. I look around me, whush one car taking over, and right after one of those scooters - huh, how many people sat on it? Was it three? I think so (it is later that I find out that it can actually carry up to 5 people at a time lol). I try to figure out the system of driving - hmmm, seems there is none lol. I think of Navin's comment about the lanes in between the lanes, or something like that, and I find it very true. After a while I begin to see some of them myself.

We continue driving - AAAAH, wait wait wait, Sam there are cows! I look at him, he doesn't get why I am so amazed and I repeat "Sam, two cows - I mean COWS, understood? COWS - in the middle of all this traffic, how is this possible? Where do they come from, how do they manage, what do they eat, where are they kept...? All of those thoughts at once, I cannot believe what I just saw!
Yes, I have experienced cows, donkeys, goats, dogs and cats strolling in and around the towns in Africa many many times - but not in the huge cities, not in a surrounding like this. I shake my head, wow! I lost my speech for a moment and that means something haha.

We reach a shopping mall and here I am in my element lol. As you could see already from the pictures Sam posted. After that we drive to the city centre, get out of the car and walk around. It's HOT, FULL, LOUD but FANTASTIC! So many impressions, so many things to see, so different from what I have seen so far. Different climate, different smells, different language, different colours, different noise background, different way of dressing, different ways of handling day-to-day matters... Welcome to Mumbai Jenny!

We walk around, underneath some great archways, along those little shops and stands that are all over - I have my first "normal" coconut, I only ever had the dried ones. I don't like the milk too much but love the rest lol.

We are crossing junctions and huge buildings like the railway centre. I am a great fan of architecture so I take a close look at all the houses, temples and buildings that are on our way. I see magnificent buildings, lots of ancient constructions. I enjoy, it is brilliant! Despite the fact that many are more dirty than what I am used to and that colours are often coming off or are fading. But then again, if you want colours look at the people lol. All the bright colours of the women's dresses - so amazing! I quite enjoy watching the people, there are more people than I thought who still dress in Sarees and Kurtaas and however you call all those Indian dresses.

I see a mix of everything, glamorous properties right next to little shacks, small shops next to high-risers. This contrasting mix is new to me, and I don't know where to look first. I don't want to miss anything. And yes there is a lot of dirt and trash on the streets, I can see Sam glancing at me now and then and I have to laugh. This is nothing that puts me off, something I am quite used to from my world travels.

We have lunch, very good but whew it is spicy. Oh God, where is the water? I need to drink. Sam orders some lemon water - huh? what is that? He laughs, you'll see! Aaaah, quite nice I must admit!

Well, after lunch we finish our shopping tour, go back home, change and go for dinner! The restaurant is super, they have kind of an open kitchen and we watch them making the different kinds of breads etc. - wow!!! They are so fast, kneading the dough, putting it into different sizes and forms, zack zack zack (sorry for the German slang lol) - quickly into those hot ovens and done!
I am sorry for not being able to provide you with the pictures right now, I will do so first thing tomorrow - promise!

However, the food is excellent and the service outstanding. Sam chooses carefully what to eat. To his amazement even this is still very spicy for me lol - except for the superb desserts we had: some special kind of ice-cream and... hm, I cannot remember the name of the other dessert that I loved so much - Sam, please help me out!

Well, that is day no. 1! Hope you enjoyed my side of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
You should be surprised that it is only 3 pages long. That means folks here have actually been busy, LOL . Any thread that Sam starts would run into reams before the end of the day (on a normal day).
Oh wow, how will I ever be able to keep up? You guys are 3 1/2 hours ahead of me in time lol.
Closed Thread