Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 18th April 2008, 18:46   #451
BHPian

Default Day 13 - The Dune Beach Resort

I discover more about the meaning of Indian hospitality as we start the day with a truly wonderful breakfast.

With a bit of delay (seems I am not the only one who likes the snooze button lol) we get ready and leave for the beach resort close to Pondicherry. On our way out of Chennai we stop over at Thad E Ginathom’s house, another nice T-BHPian I get to meet! Unfortunately, it is only a short visit as we do not have that much time and are quite delayed already.

Therefore, we soon continue our journey again. The road runs parallel to the sea and I am getting all excited. Nature all around us. Lots of palm trees, small traditional urban houses all over, lively colours from fresh green meadows and fields to deep blue skies and turquoise water. In between some paddy and salt fields – something I have never seen in real life before. It is simply fantastic. Again I am to blame for the bad-running air conditioning in the car as I didn’t give it a chance to do a proper job due to my constant photo hunt at the open window (Farhan and Nishat, I apologise once again).

We stop at this great hotel and enjoy some nice lunch in a relaxed atmosphere before we continue our drive. The men in the front, the women in the back lol. I am enjoying the company - we chat, laugh and listen to music and the three of them never get tired of answering my many questions.

We pass one of those fruit vendors at the side of the road and Sam makes Farhan and me taste our first palmfruit (tadgola). The two of us are a bit sceptical at first, it looks funny and slippery and somehow tasteless. After trying I must admit it tastes quite nice though.

In the afternoon we reach The Dune Beach Resort. Farhan does the check-in while the staff loads our luggage onto one of those little electric cars to drive us to our rooms (this place is huge). No normal cars allowed from this point onwards! The first impression of this place is fantastic.

Sam, I cannot believe we will stay here, it is absolutely wonderful!

We split up to do the unpacking etc. Sam and I go to our room, Farhan and Nishat to theirs.

Wow Jenny, look at that. Isn’t that beautiful?
JAAAAAA! Farhan couldn’t have chosen better. It is absolutely lovely.

We unpack, change and go searching for the way to the beach. We are to meet our friends at the pool again a bit later. The beach isn’t far and on our way we see all kinds of different houses and bungalows. Each guest room is different, each designed by a different artist. It is beautiful and interesting. The pool itself is constructed in such a way that you can overlook the resort. We pass it first, we want to go to the beach before it becomes too dark.

To get to the beach you have to pass a specially designed gate, I like the idea and it fits into the surroundings. Sam immediately makes new friends as he is excitedly greeted by a Dalmatian, a German Shephard mix and a Labrador. They play around for a bit and I have fun watching them. Then it is swimming time.

Huh? Sam, the water is as warm as my bathtub back home.
Cool, at least this time I won’t have to freeze. I laugh

We have a great time jumping over and diving under the waves, then the current gets a bit strong. As it is also becoming a bit dark we stroll back to the pool. It is nicely illuminated, and the slightly red sky forms a beautiful contrast to that. Soon after, Farhan and Nishat join us and we happily continue our talks.

Back to the rooms, we change and wait for the other two to join us in our little “garden” in front of our room where we have a drink before dinner with the sparkling night sky above us.

We decide to have dinner at the resort despite Farhan’s doubts about the quality of food. The two of them had already been to the resort shortly after it opened some time ago and did not remember the food as something outstanding. Luckily Farhan’s fears do not come true. The kitchen has obviously improved a lot in the meantime (we found out that the French cook had left haha) and so we have a great dinner!

Soon after we fall into our beds, another great day has come to an end, sniff.
Old 18th April 2008, 19:46   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
We pass one of those fruit vendors at the side of the road and Sam makes Farhan and me taste our first palmfruit (tadgola). The two of us are a bit sceptical at first, it looks funny and slippery and somehow tasteless. After trying I must admit it tastes quite nice though..
Here are the pictures of that.
Attached Thumbnails
A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0380_thumb.jpg  

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0388_thumb.jpg  

Old 18th April 2008, 20:26   #453
Senior - BHPian

Palmfruit Nunguu in tamil, tadgola in gujarati.
I learned a hard lesson through one of my travels. Palmfruit is never to be bought and carried home. Its to be enjoyed at the selling spot itself. Reason being; more than half of them will be either empty or with dry or decayed inner 'meat'. I can never forget throwing a dozen of them one after another after carrying them home for relaxed consumption.
Old 18th April 2008, 20:38   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - 4th April 2008 - Morning at The Dune

We wake up and have a wonderful breakfast. Jenny is ready for the sea, I think she was ready for it all night lol. We finish breakfast and wander around the resort just a little bit.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0521_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0523_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0524_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0525_thumb.jpg

We approach the poolside and decide to get changed for the sea. As we're talking, we notice a woman sitting, tanning herself.
I would not go to the beach if I were you, the sand is too hot and it burns she says in a thick accent.
We smile our thanks and we're off to get into our swim gear. In the changing room Jenny asks me Where was that accent from? I dunno, I say frankly, maybe spain? No. OK. Well, if we cannot swim, Jenny wants to sunbathe.
She approaches the lady to sit next to her. The customary hellos and where are you from?
Switzerland, she says. Ah, says Jenny grinning. Deutscheland.

I roll my eyes. Here comes the German conversation, lol. I pick up my morning papers and sit in the other direction. Ah well, we're on holiday, she finally has someone to chat with in German.

5 minutes later.

Honey what was the name of the (something something)
I mumble it out behind my paper.
Honey come here and talk to us.
I pick myself up and join in the conversation. Her English is not as good as Jenny's. It's peppered with German words (followed by a helpless glance towards Jenny, who promptly translates)
Soon Farhan joins us.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0545_thumb.jpg

It's niceat the start but I do not like some of the things this lady is saying. I know she's not being rude on purpose, but some things are demeaning towards India. Later Jenny and I discuss the same thing and she too disagrees with many things said.

I feel the need to wander. It may be rude, but I'm on holiday, i don't need to listen to her talk. I walk around and make a few beautiful pictures - this gives an idea of the surroundings.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0537_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0539_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0543_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0544_thumb.jpg

I leave Jenny and Farhan with the lady and find a bed.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0552_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0550_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0551_thumb.jpg

Ah. I should be happy but there is a niggling sadness now gnawing at me. This holiday will be over soon. I try not to think about it. The soft sea breeze, the silence and the taste of slat in the air is relaxing, I find myself drifting for a short while.

Jenny sneaks into my open air bedroom, steals the camera off the bed and takes a picture of me resting.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0554_thumb.jpg

I wake up and soon we're off happily to the sea. Farhan has gone back to the airconditioner

Last edited by normally_crazy : 21st April 2008 at 13:07. Reason: Date corrected
Old 18th April 2008, 20:42   #455
Senior - BHPian

I simply love that bed under the tree, by the sea. That is beautiful !!
Old 18th April 2008, 20:49   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

Default YetiBlog® - 4th April 2008 - Afternoon at The Dune

Later we hit the sea. We must.

The beach is fairly quiet. There is a watchman at the beach gate as usual. he checks every now and then on the beach, but mostly keeps to himself.
A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0542_thumb.jpg

The beach is truly beautiful.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0559_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0560_thumb.jpg

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0561_thumb.jpg

The beach is deserted again.

Being with TheOne® is exhilarating. I'm in a crazy boyish mood having the time of my life in the sea. Jenny quickly runs out laughing and grabs the camera after drying her hands.
Let her, say I to myself, after all the four score and twenty pictures I take of her.
I have fun and she takes some lovely photos of me.

A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0597_thumb.jpg
My favourite picture of me.

Soon she throws away the camera on the sand and runs in squealing and laughing.
A YetiHoliday® - TheOne® visits India for the first time.-dsc_0579_thumb.jpg

Laughing joking and swimming we reach chest high in the sea.

That's when it happens. We have an unfortunate incident.

To be continued...

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th April 2008 at 14:08. Reason: Post edited. Will PM.
Old 18th April 2008, 20:54   #457
BHPian

Hi Sam and Jenny,

This is beginning to get the suspense levels of an Ekta Kapoor soap, (same time next week!).

Cheers
Old 18th April 2008, 21:19   #458
Team-BHP Support

hmm let me start guessing.... hmmmmmm..

arre yaar.. i was having a peacefull beer and now you made me light up a ciggie!!

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th April 2008 at 21:20. Reason: dhak dhak..
Old 18th April 2008, 22:32   #459
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's niceat the start but I do not like some of the things this lady is saying. I know she's not being rude on purpose, but some things are demeaning towards India
I thought the way you handled those South African women in KL would have given you pointers on some snappy answers
Old 18th April 2008, 23:03   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I thought the way you handled those South African women in KL would have given you pointers on some snappy answers
Lol let me elaborate for those who do not know the story.

Last year a bunch of TBHPians went to Sepang, Malaysia for the F1. Post qualifying we had a little party at the hotel bar where we hung out with some people from South Africa.

After a few drinks, one of the ladies asked me where I was from (though she was talking to all of us in a group, her question was made looking at me)
I said India!
She said India?? But you speak English!
Without skipping a beat I said Well, so do you! And it's pretty decent too!
Old 18th April 2008, 23:15   #461
Senior - BHPian

Ah the dune brings back a lot of memories of my visit there. When I had been there it was only 2 months old and not all rooms (cottages were ready). This is one resort that was literally built twice. During it's construction the deadly tsunami had struck and had undone most of the work. I heard this story from the owner and the architect. They were saved from the tsunami because of the light house room that they have.

The light house room is one room to see. It is a 140 feet tall building with just one duplex room in it right on the top and the view from there is absolutely mind blowing.

Sam if you noticed the white row of cottages right outside the resort. They used to straw huts which were washed away by the tsunami and were rebuilt with concrete by an NGO.

Every cottage in this resort is different. They are all built on different themes and are absolutely worth staying in.

I have a goal to spend one vacation in each type of cottage at the Dune.

After having said all this I speak about the food there. DELICIOUS and healthy at the same time. When I was there they had a French chef and he used to prepare black Dal and rotis like I've never had before.

OK that is all. (Before people blame me for hijacking the thread)

Last edited by vikram_d : 18th April 2008 at 23:17.
Old 18th April 2008, 23:30   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
That's when it happens. We have an unfortunate incident.
To be continued...
Hope we are not left out in the dark over the weekend with these lines... !!!
Old 18th April 2008, 23:49   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Palmfruit Nunguu in tamil, tadgola in gujarati.
I learned a hard lesson through one of my travels. Palmfruit is never to be bought and carried home. Its to be enjoyed at the selling spot itself. Reason being; more than half of them will be either empty or with dry or decayed inner 'meat'. I can never forget throwing a dozen of them one after another after carrying them home for relaxed consumption.
I seriously dont know what you are talking about. When cut properly, these nungoos can last 15-20 days. Maybe they were cut open, the secret is not to expose the fruit (can we actually call it that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
They were saved from the tsunami because of the light house room that they have.

The light house room is one room to see. It is a 140 feet tall building with just one duplex room in it right on the top and the view from there is absolutely mind blowing.

The tower house, is this what you mean vikram ?

costs 12k & it is the most wonderful room in this resort without any doubt, simply for the view.
Old 18th April 2008, 23:58   #464
Senior - BHPian

Yes E_L that is exactly the room I mean.
Old 19th April 2008, 00:06   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Yes E_L that is exactly the room I mean.
Just climbing up & down those stairs is enough to keep you fit inspite of the excesses of a holiday. fantastic room & a fantastic view, looks great in the night & early morn.
Closed Thread