Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th September 2009, 15:30   #31
VMG
BHPian

I am planning to drive to Tirunelveli this long weekend. I want to know which route is better from Trichy to Madurai... via Dindugal or Via Veeralimali.
How is road condition and how much time will take?

thanks
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 15:44   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
I am planning to drive to Tirunelveli this long weekend. I want to know which route is better from Trichy to Madurai... via Dindugal or Via Veeralimali.

thanks
The straight route is via viralimalai, thuvarankurichi,melur.
Steady 80- 100 km/hr in this beautiful stretch of 98% completed 4 lane highway will take you max 2 hrs from trichy-maduari.Melur -madurai widening on in full swing.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 12:55   #33
BHPian

Chennai to Trichy excellent road I did this highway last Sunday.One word of caution be careful with the state transport buses some ply with their right tyres on towards the right side of the white lines giving very less width to overtake between the median and white lines..Perambalur to Trichy lots of cattle on the road as I traveled in the day.Luckly missed a goat and then a cow which was crossing the road with nose and leg tied with a rope
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 20:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post

thanks
It is better to go via Veeralimali. Please do cover the stretch between trichy and madurai sometime during the day if it is your first time. It is because of absence of 'take-diversion' sign boards where it is necessary. You are defintely going to miss them(at some places, u will not even find those boards, if it is during the day you will make out) at night and find yourselves driving on the wrong lane with vehicles from the opposite direction coming straight at you giving heartaches . It happened to me and many other drivers who were new to that stretch at night.

Also take care, even when you are driving in the correct lane. You may expect vehicles from the opposite direction ( due to diversion, some could have missed their diversion where they should have taken, few to save fuel take the wrong lane on purpose than taking a U-turn at some far off).

Between Chennai - trichy roads are excellent, still take care at some places. You will find maintenance vehicle and lorries coming in the wrong lane(fast track). I was shocked at to see a maintenance vehicle suddenly coming straight ahead. It was a narrow miss, since that vehicle was coming from the other end of slope and we came almost head on at the top of the bridge at the same time seperated only by a few metres apart !

Be watchful and happy driving
livealike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 14:59   #35
VMG
BHPian

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I traveled from Chennai to Srirangam on 1st October; Left Chennai at 11:30am and reached Sriragam at 4:30; In between we lost around one hours due to road blocked by villagers due to some problem. We had a good darisanam at Srirangam temple in the evening. Road condition is superb all the way to Srirangam.

Next day started at 6:15am driven via Viralimali road; Initial about 20km road is OK then road is very good about 10km before Madurai by pass road; 4 lane is 90% completed. From Madurai bypass to Tirunelveli road is very good and about 95% 4 lane is completed; Reached Tiruneveli by 10:45am.
Went to Nava tirupathi temples in the evening and came back to room.
Next day covered couple of more temples in the morning and left Tirunelveli at 11:45am and reached Srirangam at 4:30.

Sunday morning Started at 9:45am and reached RA puram(Chennai) at 2pm.

Over all trip is very good; covered 1500km in 4 days; FE is around 12.5;( may be reason is driven between 130-160). No issues with the car;
VMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 15:16   #36
BHPian

Got some photos post it even we can be part of your trip
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 23:14   #37
BHPian

Over all trip is very good; covered 1500km in 4 days; FE is around 12.5;( may be reason is driven between 130-160). No issues with the car;[/quote]

Driving between 130 -160 and avoiding peak hour traffic, took such a long time to reach chennai from trichy ? I guess excessive breaking should also be one of the reasons for that FE.

May be you should have done well-timed overtaking than going in for such speeds. It took me less than 4 hours, beating the peak hour traffic from ford factory all the way to my home including a 15mins break. It gave me FE 15.6 (wagon r 2004 - 5 members) driven between 110 - 130. This is not to offend, but to save 'some' fuel and keep yourselves and others safe as well(incase if you are braking frequently).
Old 15th October 2009, 15:36   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by livealike View Post
May be you should have done well-timed overtaking than going in for such speeds. It took me less than 4 hours, beating the peak hour traffic from ford factory all the way to my home including a 15mins break. It gave me FE 15.6 (wagon r 2004 - 5 members) driven between 110 - 130. This is not to offend, but to save 'some' fuel and keep yourselves and others safe as well(incase if you are braking frequently).
By any chance did you drove back to Chennai last sunday around 19.00 hrs (Maraimalai nagar part)?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 19:27   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
By any chance did you drove back to Chennai last sunday around 19.00 hrs (Maraimalai nagar part)?
No I did not. I was on a trip to madurai and back to chennai sometime during the end of last month.
Old 7th December 2009, 11:18   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrsraja View Post
...If you plan to cover the trip with out resting in between then i think its fine starting at 3.00AM....

But if you plan to rest in between (i would suggest you to rest if you dont have a companion to drive), start from chennai by afternoon so that you can reach Trichy before night and rest there..

Happy Journey
I am planning to do the same during end of December. Will take your suggestion.

Any suggestions on the places to stay at Tirunelveli ?

Regards

Sateesh
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 22:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
I am planning to do the same during end of December. Will take your suggestion.

Any suggestions on the places to stay at Tirunelveli ?

Regards

Sateesh
Hotel Janikaram is one good option at Tirunelveli. Chennai-Tirunelveli can be done without a night break as the roads were in superb condition, but one need to take care of the vehicles traveling in wrong direction.

Currently you need to take bit of detour (Via Ponmalai railway quarters) after Tiruchi to get into Madurai road with good sign boards which will help you not to miss the direction. Should take 8-11 hrs depending on your travel break choices
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 23:49   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Hotel Janikaram is one good option at Tirunelveli. Chennai-Tirunelveli can be done without a night break as the roads were in superb condition, but one need to take care of the vehicles traveling in wrong direction.

Currently you need to take bit of detour (Via Ponmalai railway quarters) after Tiruchi to get into Madurai road with good sign boards which will help you not to miss the direction. Should take 8-11 hrs depending on your travel break choices
True. If you want to avoid this detour then you may need to enter into srirangam and then enter Tiruchy city. But not sure about the traffic conditions inside the city. When i did the trip i took the detour and you would be joining the Tiruchy - Madurai road via Tiruchy - Dindugal road.

Keep an eye on the wrong side traffic, the morons would come at full speed on the right lane. Its advisable to always keep to your left.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 12:08   #43
BHPian

Post Madurai to Tirunelveli

Madurai to Tirunelveli, 4-laning is almost fully over so roads are superb all the way.
If coming from Chennai, you can take the ring-road and need not enter Madurai city.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 12:22   #44
BHPian

Hi manim, In your post above, I guess you are talking about the bypass road connecting Samayanallur to Thirumangalam without entering Madurai city. The last I head about this bypass road is that the bridge across vaigai is incomplete and users are not allowed into this road yet. Do you have the latest update on this bypass road?
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2009, 13:49   #45
BHPian

Post Tirumangalam bye-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Hi manim, In your post above, I guess you are talking about the bypass road connecting Samayanallur to Thirumangalam without entering Madurai city. The last I head about this bypass road is that the bridge across vaigai is incomplete and users are not allowed into this road yet. Do you have the latest update on this bypass road?
1) When coming from Dindugal to Tirunelveli, the new road completely bye-passes Madurai and Tirumangalam. This is a brand new road!. Earlier Tirumangalam used to be a heavily congested town. Now we can fly-over Tirumangalam! Also Kodairoad, Vadipatti are bye-passed making the 200 kms drive from Dindugal to Tirunelveli completely 4-lane except for some minor work still going on. (Earlier I used to take the Cholavandan route from Tirumangalam to avoid Madurai, now not needed).

2) But if coming from Chennai to Tirunelveli via Melur (not via Dindugal), then you must take the older ring road which also bye-passes Madurai and joins the above road near Tirumangalam which is also bye-passed.

Note: I am very familiar with the route to Dindugal but not the Melur road.

It is like magic! many hours are saved by bye-passing Tirumangalam, Madurai, Vadipatti, kodairoad etc., which did not exist around a year back.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote