Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th June 2008, 02:56   #136
Senior - BHPian

All types of accommodation are available near the Mall road. There are many good hotels and accommodation is not a problem. Darjeeling is a tourist’s and trekker’s dream destination. There are so many ways to explore Darjeeling, but the best and the most effective way, is by foot.

We spent the rest of the evening exploring the Mall road and the city. The Mall road is very clean and tidy. We did a lot of shopping there. I bought my first Khukri from the Mall and it was my constant companion from then on. Khukri is the traditional weapon of the Gorkhas and it is extremely sharp and effective for self defense.

We had our dinner from the Shangrila restaurant in the Mall. The temperature was freezing in the evening. Even with very heavy woolens and gloves we felt the bite of the cold winds!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 18:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Yeah ! its indead an engineering marvel! the loco are so well built that the youngest of surviving engine is 80 years old.
SirAlec, thanks for that info. We saw many locomotives in Darjeeling and Ghoom. But I never knew that almost all those locomotives are so old! That could be due to the fact that they are so well maintained!!!
Old 19th June 2008, 22:41   #138
Senior - BHPian

Default Darjeeling!!!!

After a sumptuous dinner at the Shangrila, we returned back to our hotel. The streets wore a deserted look. The only people we could find on the narrow lane were some taxi drivers from Sikkim. The city was covered in light fog and the street lights gave the city an eerie look!

We quickly traced our way back to our hotel. We were so glad to be back inside our rooms, away from the bone-chilling winter breeze. We promptly switched on the heater and ordered for coffee! There is nothing like a piping hot coffee to cheer you up on a cold winter evening!!

We had a peaceful sleep after such a hectic day!
Old 19th June 2008, 23:05   #139
Senior - BHPian

Default Darjeeling, here we come!!!!

We woke up quite late the next day. We had a tasty continental breakfast from The Glenary’s. We then set on foot to discover the beauty of Darjeeling to the fullest!!!

The Glenary’s is located in The Mall. Essentially a market place, it is one of the most important areas of Darjeeling. It has innumerable shops that sell Tibetan hand-knitted sweaters and souvenirs, Himalayan artifacts and antiques.

Just above the Mall road is the Chowrastha. It means crossroad, and true to its name, is the center of all commercial activities. In fact the Mall Road originates and ends at the Chowrastha.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-chowrastha.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 19th June 2008, 23:54   #140
Senior - BHPian

Default Chowrastha

In local dialect, Chowrastha means the place where four roads meet. It is the heart of the town where every visitor is seen taking a stroll and relaxing their fatigued legs.

Chowrastha is a huge flat plateau surrounded by benches for people to sit. There are many shops and restaurants surrounding Chowrastha. We got an exhilarating view of the Kanchenjunga standing with all its might.

A walk along the Mall Road gave us a beautiful view of the surrounding hills.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 20th June 2008 at 00:06.
Old 20th June 2008, 00:35   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up The Himalayan Mountaineering Institute

After a long trek, we reached the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute and the Everest Museum. It is situated on Jawahar Parbat and adjoins the Zoo. It was founded in 1954 after the historic conquest of Everest on the 29th of May in 1953, when Tenzing Norgay (Sherpa) from Darjeeling and Sir Edmund Hillary from New Zealand set foot atop The Mount Everest.

As an honor to the great Sherpa, this institute was formed with the aim of imparting mountaineering skills to all enthusiasts. Tenzing Sherpa himself was one of the founding members and also the Field Director of the Institute. This Institute also houses the Everst Museum which holds a rare collection of mementos from various Everest expeditions. Nawang Gombu, the first man to have climbed the Everest twice is presently the Chief Advisor for the Mountaineering Training.

Many courses of varying duration are conducted for aspiring mountaineers in the Mountaineering institute by experts and the Indian army also participates in their training. The mountaineering equipments used by Tenzing and Hillary can be seen in the Everest Museum. This museum is a must-see for all. There is so much to see and learn there. Sadly photography is strictly prohibited inside the museum. We bought lots of curios from their shop.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-himalayan-mountaineering-institute.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-hmi.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-memorial-tenzing.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-e-hmi.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-rest-station.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-colourful-sky.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-path-inside-zoo.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-taking-well-deserved-rest.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 01:28   #142
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up The Padmaja Naidu Zoo

We then visited The Padmaja Naidu Zoo, which is located in the same compound as the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute. It is situated at an elevation of 2133.5 meters against the glorious background of the mighty Kanchenjunga. This zoo in Darjeeling is the only specialized zoo in the country and is internationally recognized because of conservation breeding of Snow Leopard and Red Panda.

This is also the only Zoo in the world to breed Tibetan Wolf in Captivity and the first South Asian Zoo to breed Snow Leopard and Siberian Tiger. Bravo India!!!

We were so lucky to see the Red Panda, the Snow Leopard (found only in Ladakh), the Tibetan Snow Wolves and the Siberian Tiger for the first time in our lives!!!
Old 20th June 2008, 01:33   #143
Senior - BHPian

It was really a wonderful experience seeing these beautiful creations of God. I still cannot forget the Himalayan Black Bear!

He was so very handsome. The bear was a sweetheart and posed for us. He was a really jovial creature and gave us some wonderful photo opportunities! These stunning photos have won some photography competitions!!!
Old 20th June 2008, 01:51   #144
Senior - BHPian

Default My favourite Blacky!!!

Is that a goat that I am seeing???
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-e-goat-i-am-seeing.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 02:00   #145
Senior - BHPian

Don't irritate me Boss!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-dont-irritate-me-boss.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 02:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

So you want to wrestle??? I will finish you Man!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-so-you-want-wrestle.-i-will-finish-you-man.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 02:20   #147
Senior - BHPian

Please don't embarass me! Am I more handsome than Tom Cruise???
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-g-please-dont-embarass-me-am-i-more-handsome-than-tom-cruise.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 02:28   #148
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Lover

You are writing an absolutely brilliant traveloue. I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to give all of us this wonderful experience of travelling with you through your words. The photos you have clicked are some of the best ever seen. I am sure you can write a column in a travel magazine, such is depth you have gone into taking us through your experiences. I actually thought I was in Bhutan myself. Your attention to detail is amazing. Please continue. I am enjoying every post of this travelogue. I hope I can a see a road trip travelogue with your much loved Tavera soon.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 02:28   #149
Senior - BHPian

Stop clicking! You are now getting on my nerves! My eyes are hurting!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-h-stop-clicking-you-now-getting-my-nerves.jpg  

Old 20th June 2008, 02:34   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Chevy Lover

You are writing an absolutely brilliant traveloue. I really appreciate the time and effort you have put in to give all of us this wonderful experience of travelling with you through your words. The photos you have clicked are some of the best ever seen. I am sure you can write a column in a travel magazine, such is depth you have gone into taking us through your experiences. I actually thought I was in Bhutan myself. Your attention to detail is amazing. Please continue. I am enjoying every post of this travelogue. I hope I can a see a road trip travelogue with your much loved Tavera soon.
Dear Dippy, thanks for your kind comments! I have some absolutely amazing pics coming up! Stay glued to this thread!

Bhai, I have already written two travelouges involving my Tavera! I hope you find it interesting!!!