Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 27th June 2008, 00:56   #166
Senior - BHPian

Why are these jokers staring at us???
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-j-these-jokers-would-have-made-hearty-meal.jpg  

Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2008, 01:09   #167
Senior - BHPian

Why don't they give me a mattress???

By the way, relaxing the whole day is sooo tiring!!!
Attached Images

Old 27th June 2008, 01:16   #168
Senior - BHPian

Wish I had a pillow!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-j-wish-i-had-pillow.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 01:34   #169
Senior - BHPian

Default A wonderful evening!

It was really a wonderful experience seeing these beautiful creations of God. We spent a lot of time in the Zoo and enjoyed every second we spent there!!!

It was a long trek back to Chowrastha. But we made it somehow. We spent the rest of the day walking around the town and shopping. It was a wonderful evening and the weather was amazing! It was very cold outside and we had started enjoying the climate!!

We had a heavy dinner (as usual!) from The Shangrila and retired to our room for the night.
Old 27th June 2008, 01:49   #170
Senior - BHPian

Default The experience of a lifetime!!!

We arranged a cab for us to visit Tiger Hill the next day. Tiger Hill is situated at an altitude of 2590 meters (8482 ft.) and is 15 km from Darjeeling town. It is one of the most famous tourist spots in Darjeeling.

An early morning trip to Tiger Hill is an unique experience. A view of the sunrise amidst the Himalayan range has earned it international fame. cheers:

Our driver came and called us from the street at 4 am. We quickly got ready and left our hotel by 4.30 am to see the sun rise from Tiger Hill. The temperature was below freezing and we were packed from head to toe in warm clothes and jackets. Still we were shivering like crazy!!!

After a short drive, we reached the hilltop. There is a three storey sun rise viewing gallery on top of Tiger hill and entry is restricted by tickets. We took tickets and made ourselves comfortable in the top most floor.

We had some tea and anxiously waited for the sunrise. The time was just 6 am and there was lots of time left!

The view of the mighty Himalayas by moonlight was breathtaking!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-kanchenjunga-6am-moonlight.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:05   #171
Senior - BHPian

Talking Amazing sight!

From Tiger Hill, just the top of Mount Everest (29,002 feet) is visible, peeping out through two other peaks standing by its side. The peak that looks highest is that of Makalu (27,799'). These three peaks are seen to the north-west, a little left of Phalut.

Everest looks smaller than its two sisters, although Everest is not only higher than either of them, but the highest peak in the world!!! This phenomenon arises from the fact that Everest is several miles beyond them. The distance in straight line of Everest from Tiger Hill is 107 miles!!!

Then we saw the first sun light of the day! I couldn't hold back my excitement any longer! I jumped out of the gallery and climbed on top of a parked Sumo, set up my Tripod and got ready to see one of the most amazing scenes anybody can witness!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-morning-sun.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-view-tiger-hill.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-morning-sun-1.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-morning-sun-2.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:16   #172
Senior - BHPian

Default The experience of a life time!!!

The first rays of the sun shot ahead and shed light on the twin peaks of the Kanchenjunga and gradually painted the whole of its snow covered body with a beautiful orange color!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-sun-rise-1.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-sun-rise-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-sun-rise-3.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-sun-rise-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-e-sun-has-finally-come-up.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:29   #173
Senior - BHPian

Default Lost in wonderland!!!

I am quoting a world famous traveller here!

"A traveler, whose vision has not been entertained with the two most amazing sights, the Taj Mahal by moonlight and sunrise from Tiger Hill, has missed a pleasure that cannot be substituted!!!"

As the first rays of the sun crept through the Himalayas, at the crack of dawn, we were extremely lucky to see Mount Everest. The view is simply spectacular and no words can describe it!

The sun gave a beautiful orange tinge to the Himalayas!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-sun-has-risen.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-g-sun-rising-slowly.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-h-sun-god.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-i-most-amazing-sight.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-j-first-sun-rays-fall-kanchen-junga.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-j-powerful-sunrays-fall-mighty-kanchenjunga.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:36   #174
Senior - BHPian

Default Immaculate beauty of the Himalayas!!!

The immaculate beauty of the Himalayas left me at a loss for words! My wifey joined me on top of the Sumo and we stood there for an eternity, mesmerized by the sheer grandeur of the Kanchenjunga!!!

We were told that there were clouds covering the peak for the past 4 days and the peaks were not visible. We were indeed lucky to get such a clear view!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-k-wonderful-kanchenjunga.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:46   #175
Senior - BHPian

The sheer beauty of the Himalayas cast a spell on us and we completely forgot about the surroundings!!! I kept on clicking and clicking, till my supply of film rolls ran dry!

We did not forget to capture ourselves and it was a superb photo opportunity!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-t-my-dear-wifey.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-great-travellers.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-great-travellers-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-travel-freak.jpg  

Old 27th June 2008, 02:49   #176
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up The Himalayas in all its glory!!!

The Himalayas in all its glory!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-himalayas-all-its-glory.jpg  

Old 29th June 2008, 16:43   #177
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up The Peace Pagoda!!!

We spent a couple of hours in Tiger hill.

Later that morning, we visited the Japanese Peace Pagoda. The Nipponzan Myohoji Buddhists inaugurated the Japanese Peace Pagoda in 1992. It is a recent landmark constructed by Japanese Monks and commands an excellent view of the town and the Himalayan Range. It is a wonderful work of architecture!!

The towering Buddha Pagoda is awesome. It depicts various stages of Buddha’s life. The temple is covered by lots of trees!

The gold Buddha statue is awesome!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-jap-monastery.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-japanese-monastery.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-pagoda.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-pagoda-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-pagoda-3.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-peace-pagoda.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-solid-gold-buddha.jpg  

Old 29th June 2008, 17:47   #178
Awaiting Email Confirmation

these pics are amazing! I thought you had run out of pics when the thread cooled down. but, obviously, I was wrong.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 18:43   #179
Senior - BHPian

Talking The magic of sunrays!

The early morning sunrays falling on the temple, through the trees was an amazing sight!!! The atmosphere was so serene! We felt we were in heaven!

I will let my photos do the narration!!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-sun-rays-filtering-through-trees.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-sun-rays-filtering-through-trees-2.jpg  

Old 29th June 2008, 19:06   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
these pics are amazing! I thought you had run out of pics when the thread cooled down. but, obviously, I was wrong.

Thanks Rippergeo! It is nice to know that my pics are appreciated! I have hundreds more! So watch this thread!!!