Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th June 2008, 19:36   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default St Paul's School!

We then visited St. Paul’s School, where the Shah Rukh Khan starrer “Main Hoon Na” was shot. The school was very beautiful and if I got a chance, I would love to join St. Paul’s to do my schooling again!!!

St. Paul’s is located 7500 feet above sea level and is acclaimed as the highest public school in the world!

The origin and early history of this well known institution, the second oldest in Bengal, dates as far back as the year 1823, when John William Ricketts, a prominent Anglo-Indian leader, conceived the idea of founding a public school to meet the needs of the growing Anglo-Indian population in Calcutta.

At a meeting with friends, parents and guardians of the community, "The Parental Academic Institution", as it was to be known, was established. It began functioning on the 1st of May 1823 in a small two-storeyed building at 11 Park Street.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-st-pauls-1.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-st-pauls-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-st-pauls-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-st-pauls-5.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-st-pauls-school-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-st-pauls-3.jpg  

Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 20:31   #182
Senior - BHPian

St. Paul’s School is a wholly residential boys’ school. There are around 700 students from Class 1 to Class 12, with each class having no more than 30 students.
Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 29th June 2008 at 20:36.
Old 29th June 2008, 20:44   #183
BHPian

Default Good thread

Chevy Lover, Your travalogue is extremely interesting and mesmerising. By the way it reminds me of my honeymoon trip to Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Sikkim. I will post review on those places soon. Your thread makes me feel like going back to North-East again. But unfortunately with blockades going on there it is not very condusive for a peaceful trip now. Let us wait for better times. But I want to drive in those areas on my own.

Nice Review. Keep going!
sridhga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 20:58   #184
Senior - BHPian

There is a stunningly beautiful church in the school premises and the Himalayas act as the perfect background for the church.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-beautiful-church.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-church-st-pauls-school.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-chevy-couple.jpg  

Old 30th June 2008, 15:50   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Chevy Lover, Your travalogue is extremely interesting and mesmerising. By the way it reminds me of my honeymoon trip to Darjeeling, Kalimpong and Sikkim. I will post review on those places soon. Your thread makes me feel like going back to North-East again. But unfortunately with blockades going on there it is not very condusive for a peaceful trip now. Let us wait for better times. But I want to drive in those areas on my own.

Nice Review. Keep going!
@ Sridhga, thanks for your comments. It is extremely sad that there are so many problems now in the North East. I sincerely hope that all their issues gets sorted out very soon!

There is lots more to come in this travelouge!
Old 13th July 2008, 13:20   #186
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up

We returned to the Mall and had a heavy lunch from the Keventers. We were very thrilled after an exhilarating morning!

The Chowrastha and The Mall!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-chowrasta.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 13th July 2008 at 13:26.
Old 13th July 2008, 13:47   #187
Senior - BHPian

Smile Ganga Maiyya Park!

During the second part of the day, we visited the Ganga Maiyya Park and the Rock Garden. There is a man made lake for boating in Ganga Maiyya Park. There was also a traditional dace program going on there.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya-5.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya-6.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-ganga-maiyya-7.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-lake-ganga-maiyya.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-wifey.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-dance-program-ganga-maiyya.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-dance-program-gm.jpg  

Old 18th July 2008, 14:47   #188
BHPian

Awesome ... with pics like these, no wonder your thread's still going strong
RufRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2008, 16:42   #189
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Enchanting Sikkim coming up shortly!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufRoc View Post
Awesome ... with pics like these, no wonder your thread's still going strong
Thanks, RufRoc. I will be posting the next part of my journey tonight! I am sure that our journey and photos of Sikkim will be an enchanting experience!
Old 18th July 2008, 23:38   #190
Senior - BHPian

The Rock Garden in Darjeeling!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-e-rock-garden.jpg  

Old 19th July 2008, 00:55   #191
Senior - BHPian

We then visited the Happy Valley Tea Garden. The famous Darjeeling Tea can be bought here. The prices are high, but the tea is nothing short of spectacular!!!

Connoisseurs all over the world have fancied and valued Darjeeling tea and compare it as "THE CHAMPAGNE OF TEA"!!!

Darjeeling tea is much stronger than any other tea and is famous the world over. Makaibari tea produced in Kurseong, holds the world record for the costliest tea @ Rs. 22,000/- per kg. I have come across articles stating that Darjeeling Tea was sold for Rs. 50,000 per Kg!!!

Darjeeling produces the world's best aromatic tea. Presently Darjeeling has 86 tea gardens which produce about 10 million kilos of tea annually. Tea is grown in Darjeeling from a height of 300 ft. to 6,000 ft. We were told that the output and the quality of tea vary with the altitude. The turnover of the Darjeeling tea industry is nearly 7.5 million USD!!!

Most of the Darjeeling tea estates have China hybrid plants, although some tea estates at lower elevations have Assam hybrids too.

The China or China hybrid plant is small leafed and, therefore, difficult to pluck. Some 6,000 shoots of tea leaves and a bud from these bushes make about ˝ kg. of tea. But the leaves of Assam variety can produce the same quantity of Tea with about 3,000 shoots.

All Darjeeling teas are hand plucked. The picking and sorting is all done by hand (mostly by women) and the drying process is all done by centuries old coal-fired ovens. The smell inside the factory is just incredible though.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-happy-valley-tea-gardens.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 19th July 2008, 01:35   #192
Senior - BHPian

Every tea garden has its tea processing factory. The hand picked tea leaves are brought to the factory in huge sacks and are spread out thinly on tiers of racks or troughs for 'withering'.

This process reduces the moisture and makes the leaf flaccid within a period of about 18 hours. So the leaves plucked today are ready for final processing the next day.

The next stage is called 'rolling' where these limp and withered leaves are twisted and their cells ruptured, so as to expose their juice in the rolling machines. The rolling process continues for 1˝ hours.

The leaf is then spread out for about 2 to 3 hours for 'fermentation' in rooms where the humidity is controlled to 95%. After this it is taken to drying machines (temperature 200° to 225° F).

Then it goes to 'sorting' where different quality teas are sorted. The best quality tea comes from the 'leaf' grades ('broken' grade, 'fanning' grade and 'dust' produces lower quality teas).

The view of the St. Joseph's College from Happy valley was wonderful!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-view-college-happy-valley.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 19th July 2008 at 01:41.
Old 19th July 2008, 01:53   #193
Senior - BHPian

On our way back to Darjeeling city, we visited the Museum also. There are some very good animal stuffings there!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-tiger-museum.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-museum.jpg  

Old 19th July 2008, 02:04   #194
Senior - BHPian

Default The Red Panda is so cute!

This is one of my favourite pics!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-redpanda3.jpg  

Old 19th July 2008, 02:09   #195
Senior - BHPian

There is a very beautiful Church in Darjeeling!
Attached Images