Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Travelogues

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 12:49   #241
Senior - BHPian

Hi C_L, Just stumbled upon this travelogue of yours, would read over the weekend. looks like it is your previous HIT travelogue.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 16th December 2009, 18:12   #242
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chevvy,

Bhutan is like my breath for me. now also in a year I make at least 5 to 6 trips. Every day get calls from my friends,one of the Ministers M.P, and dignitaries. many district head are my friends. Who ever passes Chennai from Bhutan to Vellore,Mysore, Bangalore they give a call to me and leave something. Mostly a bottle of liquir which I don't consume. I could not be like them in Chennai life. we cannot leave our things and go and help them.Some times I feel guilty too.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 04:13   #243
BHPian

As the heading says, A Truly Incredible Journey! Thanks for sharing. I was considering surprising my wife with a trip to Darj/Sikkim. This travelogue was brilliant and provided all the information I was looking for. Thanks again.
Slick! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 13:16   #244
Senior - BHPian

Hey Slick, thank you very much for the compliments. I am so proud and happy that my work is still being appreciated! I hope you liked the photos too!

I am sure you will have a great time in Darjeeling and Sikkim with your beloved! It is one of the most beautiful places on the planet!

@Navan ji, great to know that you still visit the Land Of Thunder. I am happy for you!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 19:18   #245
BHPian

wow, that is all I can say of the most memorable and readable travelogue.
I have read it all in a day, going through each of your journals with pics, it is worth it.
I wanted to ask if private cars or bikes allowed in Bhutan ?
we want to plan a trip to Bhutan and thus any info will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
autospirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2009, 19:56   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospirit View Post
wow, that is all I can say of the most memorable and readable travelogue.
I have read it all in a day, going through each of your journals with pics, it is worth it.
I wanted to ask if private cars or bikes allowed in Bhutan ?
we want to plan a trip to Bhutan and thus any info will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Thank you Autospirit. I am happy that you enjoyed reading our little adventure. It was a terrific, once in a lifetime experience!

Private vehicles are allowed in Bhutan. You have to apply for a special permit at Bhutan's entry point, Phuentsholing.

One word of caution; Bhutan has one of the most dangerous ghat roads I have ever travelled in! Drive safe and slow.
Old 1st January 2010, 15:18   #247
Senior - BHPian

Read each and every page Carol and lived up a life while going through your photographs and briefing. Truely a gem of travelogue it is. Rating it as 5-star one now.

It would be great if you can share hotel details in gangtok and other places, Also I would be thankful if you can design a small eternity for 3 days while considering gangtok as base as per you experience.
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2010, 21:54   #248
Senior - BHPian

Talking Gangtok Itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
Read each and every page Carol and lived up a life while going through your photographs and briefing. Truely a gem of travelogue it is. Rating it as 5-star one now.

It would be great if you can share hotel details in gangtok and other places, Also I would be thankful if you can design a small eternity for 3 days while considering gangtok as base as per you experience.
Thank you very much Ashish. I hope you will enjoy your upcoming trip to Gangtok, as much as we did!

As promised, a sample itinerary for you.

A sample Gangtok Itinerary:-

23 Jan 2010

Arrive in Bagdogra Airport from New Delhi (Preferable flight - Go Air G8-607 - 10:40 - New Delhi - 12:55 - Bagdogra.

Catch a taxi to Gangtok – Rate to be negotiated – Should be around Rs. 1500 – Rs. 1800 depending on the vehicle you choose.

Reach Gangtok by 5.30 pm and check into a hotel preferably near MG Road. Current tariff will be approx. Rs. 1000 for a three star hotel.

Go for a Gondola ride – Gangtok Ropeway - Gangtok city. Need to hire a local taxi for that.

Spend the evening in MG road.

Do remember to arrange a taxi for the city sightseeing tour the next day. Your hotel travel desk will be able to help you. Also enquire about the rates for trip to Nathu La, Baba Mandir and Changu Lake. Local taxi drivers near MG road can also arrange for your special permit to visit these places. You will need to carry any of your identity cards or passport. You will need to pay the driver for procuring your permits.

24 Jan 2010

Leave early in the morning for the Gangtok city tour.
Places to be covered – Tashi View Point (if you want to see the sunrise) , Ganesh Tok, Hanuman Tok, Government Institute of Cottage Industries, Rumtek Monastery, Zoological park, Enchey Monastery, Do-drul Chorten, Ipecac Garden etc

Your driver will get the permit done, while you enjoy this tour!

25 Jan 2010

Leave early in the morning to visit Nathu La, Baba Mandir, Tsango Lake and Menmecho Lake. Your driver will be carrying your travel permits.
Return by evening and spend the evening in the city. Try out the Blue Sheep Restaurant in MG Road.

Arrange a cab for return journey to Bagdogra.

26 Jan 2010

Leave Gangtok by 5.30 am.

Return on Preferred flight - Go Air G8-607 - Bagdogra - 13:20 - 17:25 - New Delhi

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 2nd January 2010 at 21:57.
Old 2nd January 2010, 23:55   #249
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chevvy Lover,

It is good you have given a sample itinerary. That will help many people wish to go to Gangtok. The people from Chennai can take Spicejet flight from Chennai at10.50 and land in bagdogra at 3.00 PM via Kolkata. If any one wish to Halt in Siliguri overnight and go to Gangtok next morning they can stay in anyone of the Hotels in Hillcart Road as well as Sevoke road.

Last edited by navan49 : 2nd January 2010 at 23:56.
navan49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 14:35   #250
BHPian

Default Simply Superb..

An Amazing writeup.. Damn... I almost thought the end of the travelogue was page 6... Gosh I would have missed a whole lot more of Bhutan..
Thanks for being as detailed as possible. It is like I had a mini visit to Bhutan... . Scary with the forest fire though.... But all in all you had a fantastic trip and we are happy that you have shared the info with us. Cheers..!!
lancersfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 19:52   #251
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much for the compliments, Lancersfx.

My intention is to take the readers of my log to all those beautiful places. I am happy to know that you were with us on our journey.

My other two incredible trips to Ooty and Kodai and to Udaipur might also interest you!
Old 17th March 2011, 18:55   #252
t18
BHPian

Default Re: An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!

That's one amazing travelogue there.Completed the whole writeup today at one go. Got link to this thread from your trip to velankanni, took 2 whole days to complete that one. Reading that thread I guess your favourite food is "Biryani", as where you stopped for food you had "Biryani".

The way you describe the menu makes my mouth water.
Keep on travelling, and keep on whetting our Appetite for both food and travel.
t18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 01:44   #253
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18 View Post
That's one amazing travelogue there.Completed the whole writeup today at one go. Got link to this thread from your trip to velankanni, took 2 whole days to complete that one. Reading that thread I guess your favourite food is "Biryani", as where you stopped for food you had "Biryani".

The way you describe the menu makes my mouth water.
Keep on travelling, and keep on whetting our Appetite for both food and travel.
Thank you, T18. We love travelling and once I became a member of Team BHP, I have thoroughly enjoyed sharing our experiences here! Our wander lust has taken us to some of the most beautiful places in India and abroad. My Chevy completed 100,000 kilometres a month back!

You guessed it absolutely right. Biriyani is our favourite. We just love trying out Biriyanis from different regions in India. Once during a road trip to Kerala, we drove around Kozhikode city looking for the famous authentic Biriyani of that city. When we finally found a good hotel, we were in for a superb surprise. They served us one of the BEST Biriyanis we'd ever had all our lives!!! Do try it out, if you ever go there!

Let's see where our wanderlust takes us next!
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 14:20   #254
BHPian

Default Re: Wedding Anniversary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
The 10th of January was our second wedding anniversary. We had spent the day in a very adventurous way and loved the experience. We spent the rest of the evening walking around MG Road.
Happended to stumble upon your travelogue as anything related to the beautiful North East (Sikkim) is fascinating anytime and most importantly just brought back memories of our trip last November to Darjeeling, West Sikkim and Gangtok (Nathula). Read it from start to end in one go and must say very well put down with those nice pics!

Infact quoting this very post was especially special since we too celebrated our second wedding anniversary in the exact same place you were. Just that the MG Marg has gone through some beautification and yes we went just a couple of months after the devastating earthquake. Nevertheless the people of Sikkim were the friendliest of the lot and were unshaken from such a major event. We were very happy to have taken the decision to go for the trip and not cancel it. However Sikkim still becons us once more maybe twice dunno since we need to do the fabled Gurudongmar lake in N Sikkim which we had originally planned for but for the disaster striking the most in those parts. Keeping fingers crossed!
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 15:48   #255
Senior - BHPian

Hello Chevy_Lover,

I would like to thank you for this fantastic travelogue that you have crafted about your trip to Bhutan.

It had such an effect that I let my old desires take lead this year-end and visited the Land of the Thunder Dragon! It is still unspoilt & an Eden in modern world. It encouraged me to write a travelogue too which can be found here.

I owe a lot of inspiration to you.

Thanks a lot,
Regards.
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote