Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th May 2008, 10:49   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRKUMAR View Post
Truly fascinating write up Chevy_Lover. I had heard of Bhutanese, highly valuing their happiness-quotient in life. Amazed at the claeanliness-quotient too in their cities. Love to see more of these travelogues
Hi NRKumar, thanks for the comments. The travelouge will continue. The next part is our journey through Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Sikkim.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 11:20   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
This is an excellent travelogue Chevy_lover. I would rate it as an article that can be published in a Newspaper or a magazine.

couple of questions -

1. Do we get good vegi food ?
2. Did you explore/research on conducted tours available to Bhutan? Has there been any experience in this forum where people have taken conducted tours?
Thanks Dieselfan. The rest of the travelouge will be very interesting, as we narrate our experiences in India!

Coming back to your queries, good Indian vegetarian food is available in most restaurants.

There are lots of authorised travel agents who offer conducted tours to Bhutan. But this is mainly meant for foreigners, as they are not allowed to travel freely. Indians have the liberty to go anywhere without any restrictions!!!

If you are looking for a conducted tour, you can always find good travel agencies in Thimpu.
Old 26th May 2008, 11:25   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Maybe one can hire a guide & hire a car, driving those twisties would be one hell of an experience.

Are reliable guides available there?

--Ramky
---------
Ramky, the taxi drivers in Bhutan are very reliable! They are excellent guides too!!! No need to worry!
Old 26th May 2008, 15:00   #109
BHPian

This is a great travelogue. I only discovered it today and read it in one go.

Very detailed descriptions, very useful information. Your observations of people, culture and surroundings are beautiful to read and leave you with a very good impression of your days there. And the pictures are truly amazing. They complement your writing perfectly.

I have not yet heard or seen much of Bhutan, so I enjoy reading about it and looking at the pictures even more. The cities sometimes remind me of European cities, they seem very orderly and well-organised, very clean. The rest of the country however, is very different, and so is of course, the architecture. And all very beautiful I must say.

I am looking forward to the rest of your travelogue.
TheOne® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2008, 18:02   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
This is a great travelogue. I only discovered it today and read it in one go.

Very detailed descriptions, very useful information. Your observations of people, culture and surroundings are beautiful to read and leave you with a very good impression of your days there. And the pictures are truly amazing. They complement your writing perfectly.

I have not yet heard or seen much of Bhutan, so I enjoy reading about it and looking at the pictures even more. The cities sometimes remind me of European cities, they seem very orderly and well-organised, very clean. The rest of the country however, is very different, and so is of course, the architecture. And all very beautiful I must say.

I am looking forward to the rest of your travelogue.
Thank you very much Jenny! I too enjoyed reading my travelouge after it was written! I never thought that it would turn out so good!

When comments come from a great writer like you, it adds more value to my travelouge! By the way, I was hooked on to your travelouge with Sam from the very first day!
Old 27th May 2008, 20:17   #111
BHPian

Great Chevy Lover,
I really enjoyed it.
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 12:37   #112
Senior - BHPian

Default Finally we reached India!

After an exhausting four hour journey from Paro, we reached Phuentsholing by 5 pm. The journey down hill was nauseating and we did not enjoy it much.

But we were so happy that we could take “A Walk in the Clouds!!!” We could not stop thinking about the scenery we saw earlier that evening! It was a heavenly feeling! And we loved every bit of it!

After paying our driver, we went to the Immigration office near the Bhutan gate, completed the signing formalities and made the exit entries in our passports. This procedure is VERY IMPORTANT. Never forget to stamp the exit date from the Immigration office.

The Bhutan gate is open and people move around freely. One can easily forget to get the exit stamping done. If a person’s exit date from a country is not stamped in his passport, he can land in deep trouble when he applies for visa to another country!!!

We exited Bhutan Gate with a heavy heart! We never wanted our Bhutan experience to end! We made a promise to ourselves that we would definitely return soon! cheers:

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th May 2008 at 12:38.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:50   #113
Senior - BHPian

Default The "Amazing" Indian experience!

The moment we crossed the Bhutan gate and entered India, we were smothered by touts, offering everything from hotel rooms to secret Chinese medicines!!!!

After spending a week in Bhutan in solitude and serenity, we were truly stunned by the boisterous Indian touts!!! It was indeed a rude welcome to our own India!

But we had a good laugh! God! India will never change!

We hired a Sumo and started our journey towards Kalimpong. The time was around 7 pm.

Our driver, Lassan Singh, a Sikkimese, was an expert driver. He was talking to us continuously. We enjoyed the drive at a brisk pace through hundreds of tea estates. The weather was quite cool.

By 9 pm, we came across a gruesome sight. A huge vehicle had run over a couple of cows and the carcasses were lying in the middle of the road. The vehicle was nowhere to be seen! We were the first to arrive at the scene.

Soon afterwards, we started climbing the ghats. The weather changed almost instantly and we had to roll up the windows. It was very cold.

We had not had any food after our lunch in Bhutan. We were very hungry and stopped by a roadside eatery. Apart from us, some soldiers were also dining there. Seeing our attire, the owner, who was a lady, doubled the rate of Chicken Thali from Rs. 40 to Rs. 80!!!

We had no other option but to eat whatever she served, as we were in the middle of nowhere! She even had the nerve to refuse us Roti, as it was “only for Military Saabs”!! It was a disgusting experience!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th May 2008 at 12:52.
Old 28th May 2008, 15:31   #114
Senior - BHPian

Default Kalimpong!

After an exhausting five hour journey from Phuentsholing, we finally reached Kalimpong, which is a small town near Darjeeling. We reached after 12:30 pm. The whole town was asleep! There was not a single soul on the streets and the city wore a ghostly look! All the shops and hotels were closed. It was freezing cold outside!

We spent half an hour roaming around the city for rooms, but to no avail! We decided to try one more lane and if that attempt was also futile, we decided to continue our journey to Darjeeling.

Luckily, our driver Lassan Singh knew a small hotel and took us there. We got a very mediocre room there at an exorbitant tariff! We just opened and saw the room from outside. We were so tired that all we wanted to do was to crash on the bed! We were lucky to get that room as Lassan was very tired and Darjeeling another 4 hours away!!! We thanked Lassan for his help and went to our room. We were in for a shock.

The toilet was an Indian one!!! We were really stumped by this turn of fortune!

We somehow spent the night in that room and the next day, we shifted to a better hotel at 6am!!!

The relief we felt was tremendous!!!
Old 28th May 2008, 17:41   #115
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation

Kalimpong was originally a part of Bhutan. In 1865, after the Anglo-Bhutan War, it was merged with Darjeeling, and became a sub-division of Darjeeling in 1916, and was developed as a hill station.

It flourished as a wool trading centre with Tibet till 1950, when the Chinese took over Tibet. It continues to be part of Darjeeling District, and is now an attractive tourist and educational centre.

Kalimpong is good for spending some time for relaxation and nothing else. There are not many places to visit in Kalimpong.

We noticed that there were many schools in Kalimpong. The students looked very cute with ties and woolen sweaters!

We had a sumptuous breakfast from Indian Coffee House! Their cutlets were very delicious!

After our breakfast, we decided to explore the city by foot. We liked Kalimpong a lot. It was a small city with a busy main road! I took my wifey dear for a Chinese facial and the result was wonderful!

We then went to Kalimpong Bazaar. It is best explored walking. We saw a lot of shops selling Buddhist Tankhas, hand beaten silver, Bhutanese weaves, Chinese lanterns, copperware, hand stitched clothing, local cheddar-type cheese and lollypops.

Pics of Kalimpong coming up shortly.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 28th May 2008 at 17:44.
Old 29th May 2008, 03:19   #116
BHPian

Really interesting - the way one perceives his/her own culture sometimes can indeed be quite a shock, I know that too well. Waiting for the rest of the story but please don't stop posting pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
We were in for a shock.

The toilet was an Indian one!!! We were really stumped by this turn of fortune!
lmao - now that sounds familiar somehow
TheOne® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2008, 01:23   #117
Senior - BHPian

Smile Kalimpong!

The next day we hired a taxi and went for a short sight-seeing trip in Kalimpong. We went to Hanuman temple, which is famous for a 25 odd feet high Hanuman statue. We then went to the tourism department's park. We got a very good view of the Himalayas from the park.

Some pics of Kalimpong..........
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-hanuman-temple.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-d-bell-hanuman-temple.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-b-himalayas-kalimpong.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-c-himalayas.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-e-park.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-f-park.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-g-butterfly.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-h-butterfly.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-i-butterfly.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-j-butterfly.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 01:43   #118
Senior - BHPian

Default More pics!

My better half !!!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-wifey-park.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-wifey.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 02:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Default Teesta River

By evening, we decided to continue our journey to Darjeeling. We had visited almost all places of interest in Kalimpong and liked the little town very much!

We hired a taxi and started our jouney to Darjeeling! The view was breathtaking! Driving alongside river Teesta was a superb experience!

We also saw the meeting point of the River Teesta with the Great Rangeet!

On its way, contributions are made to River Teesta by streams which rise in Thangu, Yeumthang and Donkia La ranges far far away from and due north of Gangtok, the capital of Sikkim. Then, as it approaches the Teesta Suspension Bridge, which joins Kalimpong with Darjeeling, it receives a mighty torrent of water from a stream called the Great Rangeet.

From this confluence of the two rivers, the aforesaid bridge is nearly 4 miles. The Teesta river debouches through the gorge at the Teesta bridge, at an almost imperceptible gradient, taking a southerly course and finally enters into the plains through Sevoke, where it has been spanned by a Coronation Bridge.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-road-darjeeling.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-river-teesta.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-teesta.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-teesta-meets-great-rangeet.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-teesta-meets-rangeet.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2008, 02:45   #120
Senior - BHPian

Default An incredible sight!

We saw an amazing sight en-route. An old lady and her kid were carrying firewood on their backs! Hats off to these wonderful people, who live life braving so much hardship! But they still have a sweet smile on their faces!
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-women-carrying-firewood-teesta-bridge.jpg