Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 10:47   #76
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Lover, you got the spirit of Bhutan absolutely right.

Happy to see Bhutan is still unspoilt. Hope it remains that way, and the flow of tourists does not increase.

One exciting trip out of Bhutan is to do the West-Eastt drive across the country so that you exit in Assam. Planning to do this drive this winter.

Another anecdote comes to mind - when I rode into Sikkhim, the cop and the petrol pump attendant were so stunned about a solo biker coming all the way from Bombay that I was offered petrol free!

yeh hai Indyaa!!

Here is the log book and photos of my 1994 bike road to Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Sikkhim and Bhutan. Please remember that the photos were shot with a basic Kodak HotShot camera!

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Bombay to Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Sikkhim, Bhutan by bike, Apr 1994
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2008, 12:19   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Chevy Lover, you got the spirit of Bhutan absolutely right.

Happy to see Bhutan is still unspoilt. Hope it remains that way, and the flow of tourists does not increase.

One exciting trip out of Bhutan is to do the West-Eastt drive across the country so that you exit in Assam. Planning to do this drive this winter.

Another anecdote comes to mind - when I rode into Sikkhim, the cop and the petrol pump attendant were so stunned about a solo biker coming all the way from Bombay that I was offered petrol free!

yeh hai Indyaa!!

Here is the log book and photos of my 1994 bike road to Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Sikkhim and Bhutan. Please remember that the photos were shot with a basic Kodak HotShot camera!

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Bombay to Darjeeling, Kalimpong, Sikkhim, Bhutan by bike, Apr 1994
Kumar Ji, Bhutan is still unpolluted. The air is crisp and the rivers are crystal clear! I loved spending time in the Bhutanese country side.

Your travel log is amazing! I read your log of Leh and Ladakh too!
Old 15th May 2008, 14:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Guys, did you all like the photos in my latest posts???

I will be posting the last part of Bhutan today!
Old 15th May 2008, 14:51   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Guys, did you all like the photos in my latest posts???

I will be posting the last part of Bhutan today!
Great pics, keep 'em comin' !!
Now I know what I've missed way back in Oct 1994. Damned Indian Railways screwed up my plan to visit Bhutan. I went to Gangtok instead, and it was good too.
Old 15th May 2008, 15:00   #80
BHPian

Kumar/Chevy it is amazing trip.Kudos !.Those people are very friendly and amazing exploring the place.
I know it is a life time exp.Especially Buddhist culture
Old 15th May 2008, 15:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great pics, keep 'em comin' !!
Now I know what I've missed way back in Oct 1994. Damned Indian Railways screwed up my plan to visit Bhutan. I went to Gangtok instead, and it was good too.
Yes, I agree! Gangtok is very good! I have some great pics of Gangtok too, Which I will be posting as my travelouge progresses!

Keep reading and comments are welcome!
Old 15th May 2008, 15:06   #82
Senior - BHPian

It is really a once in a lifetime experience visiting Bhutan! We could walk around the city at 12 am without worrying about thieves and crooks! The Buddhist culture and teachings dissuades Bhutanese from committing any crime!

After writing so much about Bhutan, I am very keen on making a trip again!
Old 19th May 2008, 00:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

The Tiger's Nest!

The famous Buddhist monastery, Taktsang (Tiger’s Nest) is 10 kilometers away from Paro city. It hangs on a cliff at 10,200 feet above Paro valley. The only way to get here is through a long, narrow, path. The hike up to the monastery begins at around 8,500 feet.

Tiger’s Nest is the place where Bhutan’s history begins. People of Bhutan believe that Guru Rinpoche, the father of Bhutanese Buddhism, landed here on the back of a Tigress. He stayed in a cave for three months, meditating. When he emerged, he converted the Bhutanese in the Paro valley to Buddhism. Previously, they used to worship animals!!!

We did not trek up to the monastery. It is a five hour trek. The offer was simply fantastic! One false step and you get to meet Guru Rinpoche immediately!!!

We, being Christians, decided to reject the tempting offer!!!

The close-up photos of Tiger’s Nest were purchased.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-far-away.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-4.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-3.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-5.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-6.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-1-tigers-nest-7.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 00:57   #84
Senior - BHPian

We stayed in Bhutan for a week. We can never forget the wonderful relaxing experience. We were completely cut off from the outside world and we enjoyed the seclusion. No phone calls, no emails, no relatives, no tensions, etc, etc. The solitude is what we enjoyed the most about Bhutan!!!

I would surely recommend Bhutan to couples and newly married honeymooners. It is a wonderful place and one of the safest places to visit!!!

Paro is much more beautiful than Thimpu. The natural beauty took our breath away! There is nothing much to do in Paro, other than trekking and shopping for imported goods from Thailand and China.
Attached Thumbnails
An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-3-red-chillies-paro.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-2-paro-dzong-interior.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-2-paro-dzong-interior-3.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-2-paro-dzong-interior-2.jpg  

An incredible journey of a lifetime to Bhutan, Kalimpong, Darjeeling and Gangtok!-2-paro-prayer-wheels-dzong.jpg  

Old 19th May 2008, 07:45   #85
Senior - BHPian

Would a 'thank you' be enough?
Kinda run out of adjectives.
Old 19th May 2008, 10:16   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Would a 'thank you' be enough?
Kinda run out of adjectives.
Hi Anupmathur, you are always welcome! As I always say, the best is yet to come! Do keep an eye on this thread. Some amazing photos coming up soon!
Old 19th May 2008, 17:19   #87
BHPian

Thts amazin Travelogue u have composed...i was almost travelin in Bhutan (one of my fav destinations to visit)

I wd be plannin to visit some or the other time...

Could you tell me how u been there, I suppose u went by urself than a tour package, right?
Also in respect to the total cost of tour and how to go abt visit these places and in how many days u visited these places?

Thanks n cheers~
Rudrah
Old 19th May 2008, 17:29   #88
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how are the pics in the last post? The Tiger's Nest???
Old 20th May 2008, 10:36   #89
BHPian

Once word - Amaziing!!
Old 20th May 2008, 11:22   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah View Post
Thts amazin Travelogue u have composed...i was almost travelin in Bhutan (one of my fav destinations to visit)

I wd be plannin to visit some or the other time...

Could you tell me how u been there, I suppose u went by urself than a tour package, right?
Also in respect to the total cost of tour and how to go abt visit these places and in how many days u visited these places?

Thanks n cheers~
Rudrah
Hi Rudrah,

Thanks for the appreciation.

I have already explained all the processes and procedures involved in getting a visa to Bhutan, in great detail. Please read my first two posts at the beginning of this travelouge.

I went to Bhutan without any help from travel agents. I got all the information from the Ministry of Tourism in Bhutan. Indians are allowed to travel freely. There are absolutely no restrictions.

You can plan for a 7 day trip to Bhutan. 2 days in Thimpu, 2 days in Paro, 2 days in Punakha and 1 day spare. There are local taxis and mini buses available to travel between cities. Cost is similar to India. Hotel tariffs start at 450 Ngultrum and can be as costly as 2500 Ngultrum.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks