Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th May 2008, 09:58   #1
BHPian

Smile Our Coorg Trip

It has been 4 years since I came to Bangalore but I have never been out touring even with so many options around Bangalore. We were never comfortable with bus travels and hiring a taxi too was not an interesting option either. All these changed when we got our 'Estilo' and I have been impatiently waiting for a blast as soon as I got my hands on it. In less than 6 months of our ownership of Estilo 'Coorg' was planned on the Easter weekend. We initially started with Ooty, but a good suggestion from our neighbour changed the destination to Coorg and we were all set.
I studied the various travelogues in Mouthshut, team-bhp and blogposts and concluded on 'Capitol Village' Resort near Madikeri. I booked a room on first floor (the view is good from there) for four of us. I would have booked a couple of rooms had the pairings been right !!

Route
1. Take the Bangalore-Mysore highway. It is absolutely great to drive on it.
2. Reach Sri Rangapattnam (Bangalore –> Ramanagaram –> Channapatna –> Maddur –> Mandya –> Srirangapatnam)
3. Take the diversion to right after about 10 or 12 kms from Srirangapattnam (Note: The way is known as Rangathittu bird santuary route)
4. Reach Madikeri via kushalnagar (Hunsur –> Piriyapatna -> Kushalnagar –> Suntikoppa –> Madikeri)
5. Left road from madikeri goes to Siddapur
6. Capitol Resort is about 5km on this road

Day 1
We started on Friday morning about 6.45 AM. We had two drivers in our team, my brother-in-law who is a professional driver and myself.

I started and promised to hand over to him after Srirangapattnam. It was a great day with wonderful weather and the mood was excellent. With the stereo blasting we set off on a roll. We reached Maddur (80 kms from Bangalore) and I had noted down Madur's Tiffany or Coffee day for the breakfast. We missed out madur's tiffany and so stopped in Cafe Coffee Day. It was quite good. We then set off. I drove till the turn before Mysore to Hunsur and then my brother-in-law took over. As adviced by many we took the Kushalnagar route to Madikeri. We went straight to East End Hotel and it was quite some time before we got a place (it is usually packed with people). After that we retreated and went in the Siddapur road to our Resort 'Capitol Village' (5km from Madikeri). As soon as we reached we took a short nap and went to Rajah's seat (Right in Madikeri town). Everyone enjoyed it though it was raining a bit. Then we came back and had dinner in resort and slept well.

Day 2
I woke up early to the sound of rain and birds chirping and even while others were sleeping I stepped out to enjoy the great valley view. It wasn't a deep valley but quite enchanting.

Then eventually everyone got ready and we had the breakfast at hotel east end. We then headed to the Omkareshwara temple (Right in Madikeri town). The temple is not a great tourist place but it did have its odd architecture, sort of a mix between hinduism and Islam. Then we went to see the Fort (Right in Madikeri town), which was pathetic for a fort. Then we went to Abbey falls (8km from Madikeri) and it made the start of a great day. Due to recent rains the falls were pouring heavily and it was a beautiful site, can have it as a must see along with Rajah's seat. The walk to Falls from the car parking is about a km, but if you travel in tourist bus you might have to walk atleast 3 km (since the buses can't come quite near the falls due to restriction, I think the road is too curved/bent for a bus).. We went to resort for some rest and came back to dine at East end hotel. Then we set off for Tala-Cauvery. It was quite a ride (45km from Madikeri) but the roads were good and hence not much of a trouble. As went went up, the sight caught our breath. Amazing and beautiful views. Finally we reached it and my brother-in-law and I wanted to climb the 100+ steps to reach the peak. Seeing our enthusiasm my wife finally gave in. I almost ran the entire steps to the top (was surprised at my own interest and fitness). It was worth it. We were in the wide open on a peak, the breadth of which was about the size of the top of a house. The winds were too furious and with some rain it was something I will remember for a long time to come. I had to catch hold of a pole to stop the winds from tossing me downhill. My brother-in-law later commented that if someone had tied a thread to one of us he could be flying a human-kite. Such was the winds. Then we came back and this time we had a non-Veg dinner which was quite good.

Day 3
We set off to vist Rajah's tomb which was another unattended tourist spot (around 5km from Madikeri).

Nothing special except the same dual architecture (Nandi bull on a mosque style dome). Then we went to visit the Rajah's seat again, did a bit of shopping and headed for kushalnagar. In kushalnagar we visited the golden temple (in bylakuppe, 5 km from Kushalnagar). It was a grand place and the largest Tibetian settlement in India. The place was artistic and mysterious. Many tibetians were roaming around the entire area. Then we had lunch in a rather good restaurant which served very good Non-Veg and finally we set off back to Bangalore. Again as the car reached the Mysore-Bangalore highway I took over and drove till home, not as good as when I drove to coorg due to traffic but neverthless enjoyable.

About Capitol Village Resort
The resort was pretty good, the view was fantastic but the resort has to improve miles in customer care.

It was just not there. We got a room for 4 (1750 per day). I felt the charges reasonable. Overall the stay and food (breakfast and dinner) came to 5000. The food was not excellent but good enough. Though I was happy with the resort (good for the money), but next time around I want to be in a resort which will be entertaining to my kid as well. Still she enjoyed Coorg.

Windup
We were never in tourist mode and so we saw Coorg in a rather relaxed manner. So we did miss a few of the places like Dubhare Elephant camp and Nisarghadamma. But then Coorg needs more than a couple of visits.
More photos here

Last edited by simonkayar : 15th May 2008 at 10:11.
simonkayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 10:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup, what did you feel was lacking in Capitol resort in their customer service.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 11:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Nice writeup, what did you feel was lacking in Capitol resort in their customer service.
Almost everything I would say. When we landed there and said that we had booked rooms, they had no clue who I was and were searching for my name in the booking list. And this after having booked the rooms 10 days in advance and having confirmed the booking just the previous day. Finally they said they would give me a room on the ground floor facing the office (without any view whatsoever). I did not accept it and insisted that they give me one room on the first floor and finally they gave in.
Then, we couldn't order anything and get it in time. Since there was no phone in the rooms, it was difficult to follow up. After we took the pains to go to their office they would say that they don't have eggs and someone has gone to the town to buy them :-)
And electricity was a major problem. It would go off suddenly and would take at least 20 mins for them to turn on the generator (which would run for 30 mins and shut down).
Food (dinner) was bad the first day and ok the next day (for the cost at which it was provided). The rooms were not being set right (forget fresh bedsheets and towels) each day.
Though majority of these things did not bother us and we liked the stay overall, still I felt it proper to let others know of the disadvantages too.

Last edited by simonkayar : 15th May 2008 at 11:15.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:32   #4
BHPian

Nice writeup

what were the dates as I see Hebbe falls flowing it its half.. if it is not raining heavily now, guess this would be the best time in the year
ravikn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 11:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

@simonkayar Enjoyed your writeup of coorg and would like to add a few pointers. You should have stayed in a homestay. Would have a nice environment.

About madikeri fort it has been converted into the jail and court complex and thus not well maintained. This place should be taken over by the ASI for it to get some charm on it. Now its filled with all govt offices. There is a major problem going on on trying to vacate the offices. By the way did yopu check out the church there?

About gadige(The 3 tombs) there are very few people in coorg itself who know about this place. Am serious about it. Its like there but not there.

The tibetian settlement is the second biggest in india and the first biggest one is in dharamshala. There is another tibetian settlement in the border of mysore and coorg on the way to kutta but this is a really small one.

Anyway hope you enjoy the stay when you visit coorg the next time
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 13:09   #6
BHPian

maddy42, good information there. Thanks. Did not know that Madikeri fort is made to a Jail. I saw the church from outside, got a couple of snaps, but did not go inside.

Not that we did not enjoy the resort - it is cool in its own way but thought of bringing in some feedback (told the manager too about these), but next time around it will not be the same resort.
Old 15th May 2008, 14:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice writeup, reminded me of my Coorg trip. But we actually liked the ambience of Capitol Village. Even the owner himself came down next morning and had chat with us.

I also fail to understand about your food bills. We had some nice coffee/tea there (Rs10 for full glass) and lunch/dinner was Rs100 / person which I thought was reasonable. How come you spend Rs3250 for food in the resort it self.

How did your car behave in its first long run? How much mileage did you extract?

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 15th May 2008 at 14:03.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 14:47   #8
BHPian

simonkayar,

Guess you did miss my question. Could you post the dates of the trip to coorg
Old 15th May 2008, 14:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
But we actually liked the ambience of Capitol Village. Even the owner himself came down next morning and had chat with us.
That was the problem. The owner was out and the in-charge manager goofed up big time. I too enjoyed the resort otherwise. It was quite good in ambiance.

Quote:
I also fail to understand about your food bills. We had some nice coffee/tea there (Rs10 for full glass) and lunch/dinner was Rs100 / person which I thought was reasonable. How come you spend Rs3250 for food in the resort it self.
We stayed for 2 days and hence the total stay came to 4k with taxes and the food bill was 1000 Rs. As I said the price was reasonable but the food was not even good for that price. (may be due to lack of owner they did some cost cutting?)

Quote:
How did your car behave in its first long run? How much mileage did you extract?
Estilo did very well and I loved the drive and the way the car behaved, but my brother-in-law who is a professional (runs a travels) said it was not quite like the indica on highways (I never expect it to be) and sharp turns at high speeds are better avoided. The mileage was like 17-18 km/lit (with 60% AC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
simonkayar,
Guess you did miss my question. Could you post the dates of the trip to coorg
Sorry missed it out. It was on the easter weekend on 21st, 22nd and 23rd of March 2008 and luckily for us it was raining since otherwise it would have been rather hot around that time of the year (I loved Coorg in rains)

Last edited by simonkayar : 15th May 2008 at 15:00.
Old 15th May 2008, 17:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up. Do include the other details like FE/how was the road/distance travelled to your destination etc. Are these the only plce you have visited in Coorg. I'am sking becuase, you could hve visited Nagarhole /Waynad wildlife scantury, Iruppu falls/Elephant Dubbare etc
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2008, 17:43   #11
BHPian

Thanks simonkayar,

I too love coorg in rains . am planning to be there by end of June during which rain would have hit coorg and there will be some greenery. Please do post any other details you think we must know before going for a drive
Old 15th May 2008, 18:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Nice Travelouge. I remember capitol village from my trip to coorg a few yrs ago. They had only one wing of rooms to the left of the office at that time.. I heard they've built more rooms now. food was iffy then also, and we drove to madikeri to get food.

Secluded and off-beat place..
smsrini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 09:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Nice write up. Do include the other details like FE/how was the road/distance travelled to your destination etc. Are these the only plce you have visited in Coorg. I'am sking becuase, you could hve visited Nagarhole /Waynad wildlife scantury, Iruppu falls/Elephant Dubbare etc
FE was 17-18 km/lit
Distance from Bangalore is Approx 230 km.
Total kms from start to stop was 672 kms.
We were not in tourist mode. I wanted to relax and enjoy the trip so did not stuff too many places in the visit schedule. I am planning to visit Coorg in parts :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Thanks simonkayar,

I too love coorg in rains . am planning to be there by end of June during which rain would have hit coorg and there will be some greenery. Please do post any other details you think we must know before going for a drive
The final stretch from Kushalnagar to Madikeri is quite bad. You have to be very careful there. Also there are a few speed breakers just near Srirangapatnam which is not well marked. It is more of a car breaker if you are not careful (I had read about it and hence was a bit extra careful to avoid it). You might want to visit the Golden Temple on the way (it is in Kushalnagar) or even Nisarghadhama (also near Kushalnagar) - The reason being, they are quite far from Madikeri and hence you might want to visit them on the way or return.

Last edited by simonkayar : 16th May 2008 at 09:30.