Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th May 2008, 11:10   #1
Default Quick outing to Awas beach close to Alibaug

May 18th was our wedding anniv and i was travelling whole of that week and reached home at midnight on 17th from Delhi ..

We had not planned anything were just disraught to the fact that we will have to spend it like going for dinner with family and unwanted people .

On 18th morning .. I was surfing the net for find of a new place to go but wanted to be back on 19th night as had to be in office on 20th ... We have been to most or you can say all weekend getaways near mumbai so were just not keen on the same but had no choice with the time constraints .

I came across a bungalow with rooms on rent near alibaug . I called and a non - a/c room was availaible .. I just closed it and we set out from navimumbai at 3.00 afternoon ... Myself, wife , two daughters of 5 and 1 years of age .

My daughters are now seasoned road travellers so we do not forsee any issue for long drive even .

We packed in a rush ... ( we are used to it now ) and filled a cool cello jug which we use when we travel , few freshone packets , glares , all in summer clothes . Few choclates , orange sweets and avala for road .

Off out of my building and since we had good brunch , lunch was due so it was time for lunch at 3.00 , so we cruised on the panvel road , took a JNPT toll paid short route to skip Panvel city traffic and entered the pen alibaug road .

Enroute for lunch : We mostly go to Sai Kripa , Ekvira if we have to hog on prawns and chicken and kamat's for veg ( my wifey is pure veg ). We said let us go to Shanbahar Vishranti for a change

Beleive me it is just worth a skip next time , horrible service , sad food and really dirty envoirs . It used be a great place some years before but now it it is avoidable .

We finsihed our not so great lunch and started onward journey .. Traffic was at its peak till Wadkal naka . I took the right before 9 kms alibaug the road that goes to kihim , mandwa jetty . I reached the bungalow which on mandwa alibaug road and it was a impressive one . The time was 6.00 pm ( 3 hours from home with a 45 minute lunch break )

We went in saw a large drawing room with TV and a entire family sitting there . I was little surprised as we are all used to reception or servants generaly at such places or at hotels . I soon met the owner and realized that all who were there watching tv were all guests taken rooms like us . It was a change a somewhat good to see the homely atmosphere .

The owners mother was very warm lady and gave some comfort to my wife as we had one year old kid and we eneterd a home rather than a hotel .

We checked out our room on first floor . It was large spacious , neat and had french windows with a grass layer just after that in the entire verandah . It was good but without A/c as all the A/c rooms were full .

We had tea and moved out to a lesser known beach called Awas .. It is good and less crouded and clean and i could see soutrh mumbai ver clerly and felt how close to mumbai but how different locale . We were there until sunset and then back to the house ( bungalow ) .

Downed some beer as heat was just getting on us .. Dinner was served and what a homely dinner with prawns fry and curry and chapati's , rice .. Really good food . Veg plate offered also was good and filling.

It was too humid and hot and my daughter started to miss our home A/c ..

Next morning heay breakfast of Poha , Omlette's tea and toast . We set off to beach again but now to kihim as it also closeby ..

Kihim was with good set of tourists and plenty of water and waves for all four of us to play .. We were at sea for about 4 hors playing with sand , making castles , splashing water and then dead tired ..

We were back to our room and post shower had a great lunch ready with fish fry and curry .. and splendid taste .

We were ready to leave at 3.00 ... and staright home at 5 pm .. I was amazed that how different world of enjoyment we had in just one day .. We really felt proud to live in Navimumbai as it gets you out of city in hours and you can do all this without getting stuck for 1 -2 hours to just get out of city .

We have been to alibaug , kihim , murud about 25 -030 time but yet better than the dinner at restaurants or wasting time at malls / cinema. It was great outing my kids enjoyed fullest and in nature and we had a good anniv outing

Recommend : Book A/c Rooms now as it is too humid now .. Also if you stay in South mumbai and dont want to drive then go to Gateway of india take a PNP a/c launch ( Rs 115 per head ) to Mandwa about 45 minutes and free bus drop by them to alibaug you can get down at the door step of this bungalow as it on the road from mandwa to alibaug .

Regards.. Kat
Attached Thumbnails
Quick outing to Awas beach close to Alibaug-img_1350.jpg  

Quick outing to Awas beach close to Alibaug-img_1377.jpg  

Quick outing to Awas beach close to Alibaug-img_1352.jpg  

kARTIK IYER is offline   Reply With Quote