Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th June 2008, 15:23   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
Just saw a sadhu-baba in saffron walking o n the right side of the road. Now what I am going to describe happened in less than a minute.
> Sadhu heard my car approaching
> Sadhu picked up apple-sized rock
> Sadhu hurled stone straight at my carís windshield with all might
> I braked dead stop and missed its trajectory!!
> The stone landed few yards ahead of me
> Just after braking I accelerated vigorously
> Now I passed the sadhu on my right and saw him pick another stone!!
> while accelerating looked back and saw him hurl it at the back of car
> suddenly I could see 4 trucks from the opposite side screech to a halt seeing all this.
> I sped away in time
> Phew!

Guys donít imagine that I had honked or something. The ^%$^* just had heard my car approaching alone from the sound and he was on the other side of the road and walking towards the same direction as I was.
That was pretty scary. Reminds me of an incident involving my friends Fiesta. His dad was on his way to the factory when a moron took a huge stone and threw it at the windshield of his car. They were not so lucky. The stone landed right on the windshield breaking it. All this happened in broad daylight on city road. They took that guy to his dad's factory and beat him up. But my friend said that fellow was claiming that he was a mad man and they could do nothing to him.... So they beat him up and let him go. The end result-> Broken windshield and lot of toruble for no reason at all.

Good that you escaped. You could not have done much in the night with family/friends in the car.
praveen_v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 15:32   #32
Senior - BHPian

btirthankar, you remind me of that BP Speed ad featuring Dhoni and Narayan karthikeyan...where they go zipping off!

goa ? Chalo! Kerala? Hmm ok! lets go!

Way to go!! Your picto-blogs with their tags are very interesting, esp the way you capture the journey.

cheers!
Srini
smsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 15:43   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
btirthankar, you remind me of that BP Speed ad featuring Dhoni and Narayan karthikeyan...where they go zipping off!

goa ? Chalo! Kerala? Hmm ok! lets go!

Way to go!! Your picto-blogs with their tags are very interesting, esp the way you capture the journey.

cheers!
Srini
that is how I do most of other things other than driving.

I did this trip out of pure passion and not for writing this blog.
As for the tags and the photography, they do take time and effort but well everyone of you deserve to enjoy them as you all are travel-freaks yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen_v View Post
That was pretty scary. Reminds me of an incident involving my friends Fiesta. His dad was on his way to the factory when a moron took a huge stone and threw it at the windshield of his car. They were not so lucky. The stone landed right on the windshield breaking it. All this happened in broad daylight on city road. They took that guy to his dad's factory and beat him up. But my friend said that fellow was claiming that he was a mad man and they could do nothing to him.... So they beat him up and let him go. The end result-> Broken windshield and lot of toruble for no reason at all.

Good that you escaped. You could not have done much in the night with family/friends in the car.
I quite had dreamt of this sometime in my life. I also had a dream of someone running towards my car at full speed. what u gotta do?

U gotta face it and avoid the situation. no ifs and buts. hold the spirit if u wanna survive - I say to myself. if u are scared, liquidate everything and take sanyas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvnagan View Post
Awesome description on the pics. I get nostalgic when I see pictures of Bellary-Hospet stretch. Have lived in Hospet for 17 years and driven on this stretch many times.
Its raining Goa in Team-Bhp. Thanks to this and Sam's travelogue, expect a Horde of T-Bhpians in Goa in the near future.
I guess 'we' have some dues from Goa Government.

At Karwar/Goa Border both the check posts asked my car original papers. I said what do u mean... I dont carry originals. And dont tell me the rules cos I have driven in a number of other states like that. So they stared at me and let go.

While returning the MH Govt Police asked... any bottles? I said yes 2 to 3... they said... its forbidden... u dont have permission. I said what do I look like ...will I sell it and make money? then he said not a single bottle can pass this border.... break them... I said u can take one from them cos I cant break them... they are plastic port wine bottles... then they gave up and said... throw them on the way.... somewhere...

I never did

Last edited by Zappo : 19th June 2008 at 17:20. Reason: Try and use the Multi-Quote button mate. Posts merged.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 17:04   #34
BHPian

Hi Tirthankar,

Great trip report, travel frequency is as frequent as mine a long time ago. (1996-1998) till I got married, used to take the highway to Pune every weekend, parents used to call and ask which city are you in.

This phase happens (restlessness without travel), ride it safely, good to know that you are safe from the incidents which you encountered.

cheers
M M M
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Tirthankar,

Great trip report, travel frequency is as frequent as mine a long time ago. (1996-1998) till I got married, used to take the highway to Pune every weekend, parents used to call and ask which city are you in.

This phase happens (restlessness without travel), ride it safely, good to know that you are safe from the incidents which you encountered.

cheers
M M M
Am glad to hear what u said.

In my case its the opposite. For 10 years I was in Kolkata and did not travel at all. But just after marriage and after a job change all this started in 2005-2006.

Thanks for the good wishes too.
Old 19th June 2008, 18:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

You all have given me so much of encouragement. After seeing these pics, I am going to do a Mad Road Trip !!!

I am probably going to do this in August as I am out of the country next month.

I am going to Do

Day 1 - Agra - Udaipur
Day 2 - Udaipur - Mumbai
Day 3 - Mumbai - Goa

Same way back after spending a few nights in Goa. Call me crazy but there I am !!
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 18:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Great Trvelogue And Pictures

Tirthankar,

Great trvelogue and pictures. Some of the roads are real horrers... its a shame some of the arterial roads are in such pathetic state.

Waiting for more pictures, if any.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
==========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 21:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Tirthankar,

Great trvelogue and pictures. Some of the roads are real horrers... its a shame some of the arterial roads are in such pathetic state.

Waiting for more pictures, if any.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
==========
Here u go..some more pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
You all have given me so much of encouragement. After seeing these pics, I am going to do a Mad Road Trip !!!

I am probably going to do this in August as I am out of the country next month.

I am going to Do

Day 1 - Agra - Udaipur
Day 2 - Udaipur - Mumbai
Day 3 - Mumbai - Goa

Same way back after spending a few nights in Goa. Call me crazy but there I am !!
Yeah! Thats the Spirit. Go and do treat us with pictures and stories of the way. Reminds me of our HYD-DEL-MUM-HYD within a week last year in my Astra. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...es-8-days.html (8 States = 8 Days)
Attached Thumbnails
Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide1.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide2.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide3.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide4.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide5.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide6.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide7.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide8.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide9.jpg  

Hyd-Goa-Hyd Trip: Gulp Terror!! for the Thrill-slide10.jpg  

Old 19th June 2008, 21:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Basu, my first question, do you really have a job?

As usual, an amazing pictorial description of your trip. If i recall you had made a trip to Goa in January, how come again so soon?

I concur with everyone here, Miss kerala is quite pretty
This is what happens when u combine weekends with off-in-lieu days and not even use up your medical and casual leaves. Well I red mark my calendar for potential week-outs and sync with wifeys holidays. Its a lot of brainwork.

We liked Goa so we were there. The kind of hypnotizing music that I carried this time..it made me forgot I was driving at times...took away the stress..u can say... did research on Fusion Jazz, Ethnic Lounge last 15 days and made a new collection from download through rapidshare. It takes valuable time.. but without music this trip would have been like pasta without cheese. And of course the coconut feni and the rock fish were real good combination. But only if we could stay for a day more... sigh!

Can give u the names of the new collection...

Goa Travellers... its highly recommended.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:03   #40
BHPian

Lightbulb Highway Thoughts

During every one of my highway trips I make myself realise and understand
  • why I am doing this,
  • how can I have a comfortable journey,
  • what impediments (toll, towns, checkposts) will kill time and how can I 'crash' the entire duration
  • what ways can I be safe,
  • why do I do that others dont (take the road),
  • how a vehicle is tested for the kind of endurance that I am exposing my vehicle to
Highway traffic behaves much like how we deal interpersonally in this world. Nobody cares for each other but most are still considerate about giving you a safe pass through. It is competition anyways.

Once you exit city limits, a warm up drive of one hour is natural to make yourself catch up speed. And once you reach city limits, you feel yourself driving a bit hard and then you slow down.

Many people explain me the hazards of highway travel. I agree. But I understand that the desolate highways are so scary in itself, even the devils would get scared in intimidating. The fact is that even if the devil has to rob anyone, he has to travel the highways and would be in the same boat as you. Thats the positive side of things.
Old 20th June 2008, 06:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Very Well said mate. It is good to see more & more people going out and exploring our country.

My Favourite TV show nowadays is - Highway on my Plate !!! It Rocks.

BTW - These photos that you have shown above, some of these roads are in a really pathetic shape !! Roads here in N INdia are top class. I thought it was the other way around
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 08:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Favourite TV show nowadays is - Highway on my Plate !!! It Rocks.
Mine too!!

Quote:
BTW - These photos that you have shown above, some of these roads are in a really pathetic shape !! Roads here in N INdia are top class. I thought it was the other way around
I dont quite agree with this. South India has better roads and better traffic sense than up northwards. The stretch which Tirthankar mentioned (NH63 Gooty - Hubli) in his pics are already known to be bad. He could easily avoided it. He took a longer route while going.

While embarking on your Goa trip, suggest you to take a few more days off and do Kanyakumari trip as well and explore some parts of the south indian states.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 10:03   #43
BHPian

@btirthankar - Referreing to the first pic in the latest thread, please do not miss a visit to Hampi. Forget the bad roads, etc. That place is a must visit. I can vouch for it. If you need any more inspiration, please go through Samurai's travelogue here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...concluded.html
vvnagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 11:15   #44
BHPian

Another great inspirablog (blog that gives inspiration)

Sadhu episode was really terrible. I had dogs once and that itself was quite scary for me. Glad you escaped it
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2008, 11:44   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

I dont quite agree with this. South India has better roads than up northwards.
Abhi
Disagree with you on this point buddy.
Not sure if you have tried the Delhi-Jaipur or Delhi-Agra or the Delhi - Chandigarh Route mate but you can pretty much do about 160+ kmph non stop for almost the entire stretch (Thanks to the divider in between). Of course you would still need to stop at the Toll Booths. I had done a Jaipur - Delhi non stop at a consistent 120+ on my Zen couple of years back in < 3 hours. The roads are pretty similar to the Banglore - Mysore stretch with the exception of not having to slow down at certain points due to the villages in between. In addition to these stretches you also have awesome roads in Orissa (Bhuwaneshwar - Behrampur stretch) though there is no partition (This was 2000 so not sure if they have made them now) to separate the trafffic.
theodore_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote