Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th August 2008, 15:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Inspiring! Do you think one can do the stretches at night?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 16:34   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Inspiring! Do you think one can do the stretches at night?

Certainly. Provided you are alert. Particularly if female travellers are accompanying you.

Night time interstate bus and trucks traffic is quite high and the Bihar part of the GT road is quite densely populated. The settlements look prosperous too. I also noticed a steady police patrolling.

The Jharkhand stretch of the GT rd is comparably sparse. But even they have lots of night traffic.

I was actually surprised by the road condition in Bihar. The connection from GT rd to Bodh Gaya (which goes on to Patna but I did not travel that portion) is excellent. Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Nh2 (GQ)Review :Delhi Barhi Ramgarh 1200kms In 1 Day!!-gzyz.jpg  

drive_factor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2008, 23:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a tonne drive factor. I think in the general interest of self-drive tourism in eastern India you should please write a detailed tour report and also publish your log book for us to plan our Puja holidays in advance. Probably in a different thread. I am keen to know the time taken between the smaller towns of JHK and Bihar. By the way, how much do you have to drive in UP if you are going to Varanasi? Is it significant enough to matter?
It's nice to know that the general scene in Bihar is good now. The NK government has made a difference I think.
Thanks a tonne again for whatever little information is trickling in. I am slightly concerned about the doc.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 08:02   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_factor View Post
... I was actually surprised by the road condition in Bihar. ...
That's great. I once traveled on NH-57/NH-106 in north east bihar in 1994 while in Purnia for a week on some work. We were 3 colleagues in a 'local big guys' well recognized jeep and had to do a round of the rural/town areas nearby.

The route that we took was:

Purnia -> Araria -> Forbesganh -> Biratnagar (detour to Nepal) -> (Parbatganj) -> Madhipura -> Purnia

Must say that we were instructed NOT to travel after dusk and the road were sooooo bad that a speed of 20-30 was the max that one could manage at most parts.

Also, in that part of the country and that trip we saw very very less settlement on/near the roads and very very sparse traffic.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 11:51   #20
BHPian

Thanks Drive factor for your wonderful update.
I believe more and more calcuttan will take up this route towards
north India destinations since calcutta to south India roads
are in terrible shape and will take at least 2 years before NH60
can be fully repaired .

Cheers
Captdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 13:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Capt Dey
It's really sad to note what you say of NH60. Did you go there recently after the floods? This section had made going to Puri like a breeze and going to Baleshwar just a weekend affair. I really feel sad that the designers of the road didn't foresee floods.
Sudipto
Old 11th August 2008, 14:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

NH60 is a total washout now, with a s major bridge collapse at Balasore and wrecked roads all along. NH5 istself is severely damaged all the way from AP border (Ichchapuram), in several places, although in and around Bhubaneswar it is good. From Balasore to Baharogara via Baripada is also terrible. This update is from Andy Dog Lover who went on it last month. He was diverted onto NH5 at Balasore instead of NH60.
Old 11th August 2008, 15:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is really sad news Kumar, because this part of the GQ was made with a lot of blood and sweat. I have very fond memories of the new road. And I am sure many other team-bhpians would also have fond memories. I had gone upto Arakku in 2006 May (Jaleshwar to Baleshwar was still incomplete) and then Chandipore (via Baleshwar) this year in January. I had also gone to Chandipore back in 2000. So I could well understand and appreciate the difference GQ had made to travel time. It's sad that all this just got washed away in one bad season of flood, which points to the fact that perhaps those who designed the road and its elevation etc didn't take into account how high the flood waters can get.
Apparently near Belda, the river Keleghai was in spate and was flowing over the road. It even washed out a Scorpio and three of its passengers were killed, which got widely covered in the media here. I didn't know that even in Andhra the road got washed out.
By the way, the Baripada stretch was always bad in terms of road surface but very nice in terms of jungle drive. I used it while coming back from Arakku in 2006.
Anyway, thanks for the update Kumar.
Old 11th August 2008, 15:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

As we chat, there is heavy flooding in coastal Andhra and road traffic is apparently at a standstill in several places. I wonder what damage this is going to bring in the superb roads of AP on NH5. And reports are that rains are going to intensify in Orissa - will there be any roads left?
Old 12th August 2008, 12:32   #25
BHPian

Yes NH 60 was a dream Highway, "Kisika najar Laag Gaya " , I used to
drive flat 6-7 hours to puri. I would not dare to drive thru Baharagora
-NH5-Balasore , rather I will go to moon , lately to mars and drive.

Cheers
Captdey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2008, 13:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Capt Dey
I am still laughing from that comment about driving on moon or mars, rather than Bohoragora.
Sudipto