Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th July 2008, 01:39   #16
BHPian

My thanks to everyone for all the wonderful words of appreciation. Your views and comments are really encouraging guys! Keep them coming.
MudMover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 08:02   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
Are you kidding? Don't you see that incline? How many of us can resist ripping down that stretch with our mean machines if it weren't for that speed breaker?
Ya I agree !
That particular speedbump before Srirangapatnam can break many axles if you are not aware.
There is a beautiful downslope where my Alto touches even 140kmph only that I know about the bump I remove the accelerator at the right time. If for a new driver he can never imagine this speedbreaker out of blue because there is no population nearby at this stretch. They have placed this speedbreaker just before a left turn. may be some accident might have happened there sometime but it is too dangerous.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 13:14   #18
BHPian

Awesome stuff Mudmover. With pictures like these, who wants words
vvnagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 17:09   #19
BHPian

Great pictorial. I live in mysore and have done this route quite often but have never photographed the route itself.
Ramkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 17:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Good pics, MM. But in some photos shows that you have parked to extreme right and had taken the photos. Are we in US
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 17:57   #21
BHPian

Default Tractor on 3 wheels in Pic5

Did anyone notice the tractor in Pic 5...Just on 3 wheels
neon_daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2008, 19:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramkumar View Post
Great pictorial. I live in mysore and have done this route quite often but have never photographed the route itself.
Hi there! Thanks, the same was the case with me as well. Had travelled the route so many times but never taken pictures...until I discovered Teambhp.com. Say? Whenever you travel this way next why don't you take a few pics of places I might have missed? Let's try and popularise this route.cheers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Good pics, MM. But in some photos shows that you have parked to extreme right and had taken the photos. Are we in US
Thanks! Actually, I park on the left and then walk across to the right ! The reason being to get a different angle once in a while.

BTW I'm doing the same route again tomorrow - my usual monthly trip. I'll be taking a few more snaps to complete the set taken earlier. Tomorrow I'll also be testing my new filter -- (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...er-review.html (Zen 2002 MPFI - K&N Replacement Filter Review)).
Old 7th August 2008, 19:43   #23
BANNED

Nice pictures dude and hope next time you come across a wild elephant than a tame elephant and get a picture.

Enjoy more and more drive with wil animals on that road.
raki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2008, 11:28   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudMover View Post
BTW I'm doing the same route again tomorrow - my usual monthly trip. I'll be taking a few more snaps to complete the set taken earlier.
Take some pics from different angles and different roads. This time pls include some pics of sceneries (if you pass by).
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2008, 00:02   #25
BHPian

Out of Office reply:

Hi,

I'm currently travelling
Bangalore-Nilambur-1.jpg

and have limited access to this website due to...

Bangalore-Nilambur-5.jpg
1.RAIN,

Bangalore-Nilambur-4.jpg
2.FORMIDABLE TERRAIN,

Bangalore-Nilambur-6.jpg
3. AND CONNECTIVITY ISSUES

I shall get back to you at the earliest once I'm back.
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 08:54   #26
BHPian

Cool! You have set the tone perfectly.. now the expectation is high.
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:17   #27
BHPian

M.M,

I am driving down to Nilambur this thursday for the long weekend. A couple of questions:

I am planning to stop on one of the messes for dinner - good idea?

Are there any good kallu shaaps in the area?

Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 16:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Great pictorial post there, Mud Mover.

@ prabhu - not sure whether Kallu Shaaps in that part of Kerala will measure up to Mullapandal or Maapranam shaaps, but do update us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
By the way, what is it with the speed breaker on the Mysore-Bangalore road? and that too without sufficient markings on the road? Sheesh, a lot of poor drivers must have zipped over them at high speeds!
Meet one who did go over a few of those at ridiculous speeds. Vehicle going in for a full suspension checkup at the next service (today).
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2008, 20:30   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuav View Post
M.M,

I am driving down to Nilambur this thursday for the long weekend. A couple of questions:

I am planning to stop on one of the messes for dinner - good idea?

Are there any good kallu shaaps in the area?

Vijay
Hi Vijay,

I just returned today afternoon from Nilambur. Man! the rains have really kicked in there. Are you sure about going there? Anyways, please check about the weather there again before you start, or you'll end up sitting indoors and cursing just like I did.

Regarding Kallu shaps - frankly I haven't seen any. Nilambur is predominantly a Muslim area and hence that may be the reason that such joints are not very common. But I will go with Steeroid's comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
@ prabhu - not sure whether Kallu Shaaps in that part of Kerala will measure up to Mullapandal or Maapranam shaaps, but do update us.
But please feel free to check out the cuisine at the local messes after the usual due diligence about cleanliness etc. Maybe you can get directions to a nearby Kallu shap from the mess as well!
Old 12th August 2008, 03:04   #30
BHPian

This is the concluding part of my Bangalore to Nilambur route description.

I had taken leave on the 8th (last friday) and started out as usual at 6.30 a.m. in the morning. I reached Mysore by 8.45 and met up with father-in-law's driver who would continue the journey to Nilambur. The route from Mysore to Gudalur was the same except for the Gundlupet-Bandipur stretch where a new attraction were two huge 'bomb craters' on the already bad road.

After I reached Gudalur, my wife & baby went ahead to Nilambur in a separate car while I proceeded for a quick inspection of the in-laws' coffee estate nearby. The estate borders the Madhumalai tiger reserve and hence is prone to the usual share of intrusions by the neighbouring wildlife -- the latest being another 'visit' by a herd of elephants. The drive to the estate is an adventure in itself as borne out by the photos coming later.

Though it did not rain on Friday, the rains officially started their run on the next day (9th - Saturday). The rest of my weekend was spent trying to take as many snaps as possible whenever there was a break in the rains. Hence, most of the pictures bear the damp and dank signature of a typical Kerala monsoon. Phew! what a relief to be back in good ol' Bangalore!

The previous photos:
1.On the way to the Gudalur coffee estate.
2.Rain in Nilambur.
3.The road to the estate.
4.A stream in the estate.

Bangalore-Nilambur-7.jpg
Pic1. On the way to the estate - SreeMadurai Panchayat (Gudalur)

Bangalore-Nilambur-1.jpg
Pic2. On the way to the estate - SreeMadurai Panchayat (Gudalur)

Bangalore-Nilambur-2.jpg
Pic3. The 'road' to the estate is basically a slushy dirt track which can only be travelled in a jeep or other 4W vehicle.

Bangalore-Nilambur-6.jpg
Pic4. The scenery by the side of the dirt track. Where the paddy fields end, the forest begins.

Bangalore-Nilambur-5.jpg
Pic5. A clearing in the estate overlooking the forest.

Bangalore-Nilambur-4.jpg
Pic6. The estate guest house.

Bangalore-Nilambur-3.jpg
Pic7. A Rotweiler pup. A family of them guards the estate. Even this cute little fella packs in quite a bit of bark and bite.

Bangalore-Nilambur-8.jpg
Pic8. Vazikadavu-Chandakunnu

Bangalore-Nilambur-9.jpg
Pic9. Chandakunnu-Chungathara > the rubber trees point the way!

Bangalore-Nilambur-11.jpg
Pic10. Chungathara-Edakara > Karimpuzha bridge

Bangalore-Nilambur-17.jpg
Pic11. The view from Karimpuzha bridge

Bangalore-Nilambur-14.jpg
Pic12. Nilambur-Vadapuram > a view by the roadside

Bangalore-Nilambur-18.jpg
Pic13. Nilambur-Vadapuram > rural Bus Stand!

Bangalore-Nilambur-21.jpg
Pic14. Vadapuram fork > left road goes to Thrissur and the right road goes to Manjeri-Kozhikode.

Bangalore-Nilambur-20.jpg
Pic15. Vadapuram-Manjeri

Bangalore-Nilambur-19.jpg
Pic16. Vadapuram-Manjeri > a roadside view

Bangalore-Nilambur-13.jpg
Pic17. Vadapuram-Manjeri > the road to Manjeri passes by our house.

There are much more photos to be taken of places other than those in the pics above. I hope I have made a start. For those who would like to travel to these parts, valuable information can be had at the below link.

[COLOR=#0000cc]Nilambur, Kerala, India - Nilambur Hotels, Nilambur resorts ...[/COLOR]
MudMover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote