Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th March 2009, 12:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue. How did I missed this in 2008?

I could understand the frustration you have gone through in that tiring journey. Good that everything ended in a positive way & Iam sure definitely this experience would have educated you on better planning.

Request - Please please make your return travelogue elaborate as u did the onward journey.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 12:45   #32
BHPian

Great journey mate, From west to east.
You were parted away from your dog for last 7 months.

Please elaborate on return journey.
shabahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 13:40   #33
BHPian

Awesome writeup, great to read and very well written. The more I read these travelogues I more i feel I am missing out. A great way to experience this country. The only spanner in the works comes at the end with your company. But great reading and an experience to have. Cute dog.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 21:53   #34
BHPian

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your comments. Will try to sit down and pen a travelogue soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Thats great Anand. So you finally brought the car back. How were you managing in Pune all these months ?

Some queries:
1) Did Orissa Traffic police extract Rs800 at the border (which looks quite a norm these days and it has become a concern to TBHP Kolkata members)?

2) Also How is the stretch between Bhadrak and balasore?

3)And any work on GQ in the Ganjam - Ichchapuram stretch?

Abhi
Hi Abhi,

1) Did Orissa Traffic police extract Rs800 at the border (which looks quite a norm these days and it has become a concern to TBHP Kolkata members)?

Yeah man I was really stupefied as to why I should pay Rs.800/- as Road Tax as I was not going to stay in Orissa permanently and I was just passing through. I spent a good 20 minutes arguing with the stupid RTO and finally realised that I'm flogging a dead horse.

So I shelled out the cash and was on my way. I thought it better not to waste time as I had a long way to go that day. By the way I was planning to find out whether the practice of extracting money from the transit personal vehicles is legal. Do let me know if you have any pointers.

2) Also How is the stretch between Bhadrak and balasore?

The stretch from Balasore to Bhadrak was fairly good. The only boring part was the innumerous diversions on the road which makes it a pain in the ....

3)And any work on GQ in the Ganjam - Ichchapuram stretch?

The stretch from Ganjam right upto Icchapuram is quite alright. All the roads have been concretized. Again it's yet to be made 4 lanes but the roads are wide enough except for the part near Balugaon on the banks of the Chilika lake wherein the roads are quite narrow and it's almost always being hogged by the long trucks with massive cargo.
andy_dog_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 09:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_dog_lover View Post
I thought it better not to waste time as I had a long way to go that day. By the way I was planning to find out whether the practice of extracting money from the transit personal vehicles is legal. Do let me know if you have any pointers.
Kolkata TBHP gang and indiahighway gang is planning to meet the Commissioner Traffic at Utkal Bhavan, Kolkata sometime in April and express their displeasure on this mal practices.
Hopefully we will get some pointers soon.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:06   #36
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a quick update to say that I drove back from Kalimpong to Pune a couple of days back along with my dog.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate your comments. Will try to sit down and pen a travelogue soon!
Good to see this leg went off so well. Yes do have the travel story ready and with definitely more pictures.

Quote:
Yeah man I was really stupefied as to why I should pay Rs.800/- as Road Tax as I was not going to stay in Orissa permanently and I was just passing through. I spent a good 20 minutes arguing with the stupid RTO and finally realised that I'm flogging a dead horse.
Around what time you crossed the Orissa-WB border at Jaleshwar?
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:15   #37
BHPian

Quote:

Where is this Rs.800 road tax demanded, is it at the West Bengal-Orissa border or the Andhra-Orissa border ?
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 16:43   #38
BHPian

Hi Andy,

Me being from HYD, feel sorry for you to spend 3hrs of time in that City traffic. This passes on the learning to everyone who is going to hit a major city on his way, has to get info on ring roads & traffic conditions of the city.

Starting from BHEL to Hayatnagar [both ebing the extremes of west & east borders of HYD], Hyderabad has very dense traffic between 8AM - 10PM on this route and city is densly populated on this West to East route than any other part of Hyderabad. There are ring roads at BHEL & Miyapur X roads which will take you to NH9 via Mehedipatnam, Katedan, Santoshnagar, LB Nagar X road & then take right towards NH9 which will take atleast 90mins i guess. Yes there are lack of proper directions at those points. Hopefully the new outer ring road will resolve this issue.

I stayed near BHEL on the Pune highway for 1yr , i used to travel to my native place Nalgonda which is 20kms off NH9 towards Vijaywada and i myself never took the route which you took between the timings of 8AM - 10PM.

If you need any kind of help in future about HYD ring roads, do let me know.
udaygk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:13   #39
BHPian

Hi Andy,
Nice travelogue, but as demanded by many others, put up the detailed account of your return trip too.
BTW, where did you stay in Srikakulam? I need info about hotels in Srikakulam, as I am planning for a night halt there on my way to Kolkata this weekend.
Thanks.
9tMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 21:41   #40
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Around what time you crossed the Orissa-WB border at Jaleshwar?
Hi adc, I crossed the border at 11.30 AM I guess. Were you around that location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Where is this Rs.800 road tax demanded, is it at the West Bengal-Orissa border or the Andhra-Orissa border ?
Hi, this is at the WB-Orissa border at Jaleswar on NH-60 from Kharagpur to Balasore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaygk77 View Post

Hi Andy,

If you need any kind of help in future about HYD ring roads, do let me know.
Thanks Uday. Will definitely contact you if I face any difficulty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9tMax View Post
Hi Andy,
BTW, where did you stay in Srikakulam? I need info about hotels in Srikakulam, as I am planning for a night halt there on my way to Kolkata this weekend.
Thanks.
Hi 9tMax, I stayed at a hotel called A.M.Residency. Whilst coming from Kolkata, I entered into Srikakulam at the first available entry into the town. I didn't enter via the main entrance. So after going approx 1 Km, near the bus stand, this hotel is located. Approx rent for A/C room is Rs.700/-. Room was quite decent and OK for a night's stay. Do PM me if you need any further info.
andy_dog_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2009, 23:05   #41
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi adc, I crossed the border at 11.30 AM I guess. Were you around that location?
No wasnt around, let us know beforehand if you do that route again.

The reason I asked was the timing around which time you crossed Jaleswar border and faced that tax issue. Mahesh crossed at 2 am and he went clean through. So most probably those cheat buggers are mostly till around daylight time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshmenon View Post
I just finished the Chennai - Kolkata GQ trip a couple of months back. (actually Chennai-Kolkata-Jamshedpur-Patna-Chennai).

On the up route, we crossed the border into WB at about 2am!! Fortunately I didn't experience this although my vehicle was KA registered.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote