Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 17th September 2009, 18:37   #106
BHPian

Wow, excellent travelogue Melvyn ! Nice pics from you too royalcruiser !

Last edited by kannan666 : 17th September 2009 at 18:40.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 19:17   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Wow, excellent travelogue Melvyn ! Nice pics from you too royalcruiser !
Thanks kannan666 for the vote of confidence. In fact, my travelogue would never have been possible without reading similar travelogues of akroy, GPA and others on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Fantastic drive Melvyn!

Now you have made me dream of a Chennai - Goa drive in my Alto!
Excellent idea, Gansan. Your new Alto should easily do the trip. In case you need any inputs regarding Goa, please contact me. My trip was so memorable that I'm planning a Goa-Kanyakumari-Pondicherry-Chennai-Goa trip next year.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 19:43   #108
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
since I wanted the "1+2+3+4+5" phrase in my title, I took the liberty of merging these five distinct territories.
I kinda thought that you must have done this after I posted! So, I hope you are all geared up for the 20k kms service of the car?

I complted the 20k service of my Alto just last weekend and I'm itching to take her out on the drive to Pondy next weekend.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 19:59   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I kinda thought that you must have done this after I posted! So, I hope you are all geared up for the 20k kms service of the car?

I completed the 20k service of my Alto just last weekend and I'm itching to take her out on the drive to Pondy next weekend.
I'll be doing the 20k service sometime next week. It will be the routine one as I don't have any complaint with the Alto. I however noticed something a wee bit unusual during my journey to Pondi. When I was travelling between 70-80 kmph, the car tended to jerk a bit (more from the front than the rear). It appeared that the front tyres seemed to vibrate a bit. The car became smooth again after crossing the 80 kmph mark. any reason for this?
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 07:57   #110
BHPian

Melvyn, Nice travelogue mate. Keep up the spirit and now you are a highway driver.

Gpa, when are you planning for your trip to Pondy? I mean the dates? I had plans too for 2nd Oct.
rabnawaz_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 10:06   #111
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Gpa, when are you planning for your trip to Pondy? I mean the dates? I had plans too for 2nd Oct.
rabnawaz_b,

I have two trips planned in the span of a week!

Trip 1: BLR-Pondy-BLR will be on 25 Sept (highly dependent on my work schedule)
Trip 2: BLR-Pondy-BLR will be on 03 Oct

Do let me know what your plans are and perhaps, we could drive together.

Regards,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 18th September 2009 at 10:07.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:09   #112
BHPian

Guys, me and wifey are travelling to Pondicherry on 25th Sep and returning back to bangalore on 28th. Any special pointers for places to visit / eating joints. Recommendations for veg / non veg specialities are welcome.

Will update the thread with report once I am back.
pankaj_sachdeva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:10   #113
BHPian

GPA, sorry buddy I was bit occupied with Eid Celebrations and didnt have time to login.
Initial plan was to leave early on 2nd Oct, but my Sis in law has to work on that day.
Now the plan is to leave early morning on 3rd Oct. May be around 6:30am or so.
Time being I have not planned as to how many days to stay there. Will depend on the place and ambience. By the way, did you get your dates finalized?
Old 24th September 2009, 12:38   #114
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now the plan is to leave early morning on 3rd Oct. May be around 6:30am or so.
Yes, have finalized the dates.

Trip 1: BLR-Pondy-BLR will be on 26 Sept
Trip 2: BLR-Pondy-BLR will be on either 03/04 Oct

A sincere suggestion would be for you to leave earlier than 6.30 am as you will be able to beat a lot of traffic on the roads leading to Hosur/Krishnagiri. Best time to start would be either 4.30 or 5.00 am

If I do leave on the 3'rd, we could drive together if you plan to leave early.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:39   #115
BHPian

Oh dear. I know why you refer the Hosur/Krishnagiri traffic (I have spent my childhood in Hosur for over 10 years).
I would love to leave early, but am sure my wife would delay. 6am would be the early time I guess I could make it. Let me know what you decide by next week.
Old 25th September 2009, 08:56   #116
BHPian

Hi Melvyn,

It was a really a well written travelogue. Will be very helpful when I plan to go for the Pondi trip in the coming months. Thanks a lot for the snaps.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 13:58   #117
BHPian

GPA, do you have updates from your Trip 1? I saw on newspapers that Chennai-Mahabalipuram road is overflowing due to rains.
Old 29th September 2009, 15:57   #118
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GPA, do you have updates from your Trip 1? I saw on newspapers that Chennai-Mahabalipuram road is overflowing due to rains.
I did not use this road. I just drive from BLR to Pondy and back on the same day.

However, the rains have taken its toll on the road just after Krishnagiri to Uthangarai with the stretch now having crater sized potholes in some places. Do keep your speeds below 80 km/hr when negotiating this stretch. Else, the reat of the road is smooth and you can comfortably cruise at 80-100 km/hr.

Regards,
gpa
Old 29th September 2009, 16:10   #119
BHPian

Quote:
No overflowing on the road, infact I didn't saw water anywhere. Took this road yesterday while coming back from pondy. However the traffic was quite heavy and the speeds were reduced to 40-50 km/hr on quite a few places and a big speedbeaker out of nowhere actually gave us a harrowing 2 hours due to a problem with the radiator fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I did not use this road. I just drive from BLR to Pondy and back on the same day.

However, the rains have taken its toll on the road just after Krishnagiri to Uthangarai with the stretch now having crater sized potholes in some places. Do keep your speeds below 80 km/hr when negotiating this stretch. Else, the reat of the road is smooth and you can comfortably cruise at 80-100 km/hr.

Regards,
gpa
Quite true, The potholes plus the traffic drops the speed sometimes to 60km/hr on this strecth. Detailed report on the road conditions, hotels we stayed and eating joints we tried coming up in a day or 2 with pics.
pankaj_sachdeva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 21:03   #120
BHPian

Thanks Pankaj and GPA.
Any particular eating joints you guys suggest? Sea food special restaurents?