Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th December 2008, 07:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Conclusion: The overheating problem has been solved. But I have a under-heating problem now. Fortunately, this problem can be easily fixed, I need to install a thermostat to control the over-cooling by the radiator.
Money well spent, then..

Can we expect another session after you fit the thermostat?
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 08:53   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As we reach the base of Agumbe Ghat (40Kms of driving) and the temp is still at 65C. Now we start climbing, 2nd gear in hairpin curves and 3rd gear in between. The temp starts climbing and settles little shy of 80C. As we reach the peak (sunset point), the temp needle is stuck at 78C and simple refuses to go beyond.
Sir, Where are the snaps?
Surprise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2008, 18:05   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Sir, Where are the snaps?
Didn't take the dSLR this time since I knew the scenery won't be as good as previous times. Due to absence of rain, the road is very dusty and dull. So we mostly drove the 100Kms trip with only 2 stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Can we expect another session after you fit the thermostat?
Yes, that might happen.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:16   #34
Team-BHP Support

My wife wanted a 2-3 hour long family drive today. Since it was raining heavily in here, I suggested we throw the gauntlet back at the rain, and visit the place that receives the highest rain fall in the state. Yes, Agumbe was calling.

Wife, kids and I left at 2:30PM in the Grand Vitara, had the world famous chattambade at the push cart near Agumbe forest gate and came back at 5:30PM. It was raining heavily all the way and got heavier on the way back. Ah, the joy of driving a full-time 4x4 on rain drenched roads, not a bit of loss of road grip despite ripping through potholes.

BTW, how many of you know about this chattambade at the Agumbe forest gate. It is simbly too good, eating that with rain all around you is just heavenly.

The road is in decent shape all the way from Manipal to few Kms after Hebri. Then it gets very narrow and nobody wants to get down the road and yield. The white Omni taxis are notorious here, they just don't give way forcing hatches and sedans out of the roads. But I kept getting my wheel out of the road (and into the ditch) to let the poor hatch/sedans pass by. 4WD drivers generally have a big heart, old jungle saying. Fog was not much of a problem at least until 4:30PM, may be it gets bad after 6PM.

A water fall on the side of the road.

Cooling system test in Agumbe Ghats - Part II-pa023699.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd October 2009 at 18:22.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:10   #35
MCR
BHPian

Hello Samurai,
Lucky you. I would have loved to drive down to Agumbe on such a day. Having chattambade in rain followed by coffee, wow my mouth is watering now, especially since I am now in Germany.

By the way is Charmadi Ghat open for Traffic after repairs? I had a PM from 14000rpm on this road. I believe that Charmadi ghat is open. Request your confirmation of the same.

Will meet you in Manipal during Christmas Vacations. I would be driving in My new Punto or Swift VDi to Udupi during that time,Hopefully.
MCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:46   #36
Senior - BHPian

Sharath, i guess am tired envying you

MCR, Yes Charmadi is opened road surface wise it way better then SHiradi.. but at couple od curves/hair pins it gets too narrow and also towards Ujre and onwards lots of bad patches..
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 18:21   #37
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, how many of you know about this chattambade at the Agumbe forest gate. It is simbly too good, eating that with rain all around you is just heavenly.Attachment 201235
The yummy aroma of the chattambade had me screeching to a halt at the checkpost. We bought some and munched on them at sunset point.
Roameo is offline   Reply With Quote