Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th August 2008, 19:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quite interesting to know that you are allowed to touch the lingas. Added to my list. Thanks

slightly OT: You can use multi-quote feature to reply to more than one person messages.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:09   #17
BHPian

Here are the snaps of Rock Garden at Orvakal near Kurnool.
Attached Images

muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Rock garden? Is it man made? Or they made a garden in the ghats? Either way, looks nice.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2008, 20:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Rock garden? Is it man made? Or they made a garden in the ghats? Either way, looks nice.
Definitely not man made. Am sure they are natural formation. Just that AP tourism is enabling people to visit the place. Also, read that they are planning to add boating facility here.
Old 1st January 2009, 12:34   #20
BHPian

Hi Murali, Nice trip report and pictures.
I came across this when searching for SriSailam from Bangalore. Is this a good time to visit SriSailam? If I can manage to get some information and also get some accomodation at SriSailam, I'm all set to leave tomorrow morning.
Please let me know if you know other nearby places that can be covered on this trip, I would like to give a quick visit to the WLS if I get to see some wildlife!
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:15   #21
BHPian

Default Try Cuddapah route

Nice Trip. Recently I travelled from a place called Duvvur (near Nandyal) to Bangalore via Mydkuru, Cuddapah, Raychoti, Madanapalli, Chintamani . Road is very good expect for about 25 kms between Madanapalli & Chintamani. People from eastern & southern part of Bangalore could try this. There was very less traffic and it was a pleasant drive.
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 09:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Nice Trip. Recently I travelled from a place called Duvvur (near Nandyal) to Bangalore via Mydkuru, Cuddapah, Raychoti, Madanapalli, Chintamani . Road is very good expect for about 25 kms between Madanapalli & Chintamani. People from eastern & southern part of Bangalore could try this. There was very less traffic and it was a pleasant drive.
What are the main attractions and the distance from Bangalore. Any snaps !
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 13:00   #23
BHPian

Default Had a round trip including Belum Caves

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
What are the main attractions and the distance from Bangalore. Any snaps !
On this route you can visit Kaiwara which is before Chintamani. Nearer to Nandyala , Mahanandi can be planned.

Regarding my trip, it was family trip to relations in Anantapur , Proddatur & Duvvur with Belum caves added.

We left Bangalore on 25th December to Anantapur , stayed there for 2 days and on Saturday 27th left to Proddatur via Tadapatri. On the way to Tadapatri there is a huge lake near a place called Singanamalla.

Belum Caves is a must visit for anyone. Pictures wont do any justice to the place. But must tell these areas are very dry & dusty, it could be harsh during summers.

Reached Proddatur by evening after spending about 3 hours in caves. Next day went to Duvvur and after lunch left to Bangalore.

There are 2 routes one via Pulivendla, Kadiri & Chicballapur but was told that about 50 km is very bad. So left by other route through Cuddapah.

Duvvur to Rayachoti is NH, very pleasant and not heavy traffic.You will be crossing Eatern Ghats and about 15 km is through ghats.

From Rayachoti to Madanapalli is through beautiful landscapes and rugged mountains. Road is not very broad but very neat & smooth.
This is about 75km and very desolated, not advisable to drive through night. Ensure enough fuel & food is available.

Madanapalli to Bangalore via Chintamani is OK but for about 25km which I had to do at not more than 40Km/hr in my Xeta GLS.

Reached Indiranagar by about 8 pm.

Total distance travelled was 780km , fuel efficiency acheived was around 15km/litre with 90% AC.

Some of the snaps.
Attached Images

Old 2nd January 2009, 13:22   #24
BHPian

Default Belum Caves

Some more snaps.

If you are planning only Belum Caves this route will be very long, it's better to stick to NH7.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 28th January 2009, 11:11   #25
BHPian

Very good pictures Muralisk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
Srisailam is famous for the Shiva temple as it is of the 12 Jyothirlingas. This is only temple where every one is allowed to touch the Shiv Lingam.
I wouldn't agree to the "only" part. I've been to Mahakaleshwar (Ujjain) and you can touch the Shiv-Lingam there as well.
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 10:45   #26
BHPian

Default Raichur to Srisailam road info

I would be travelling from Raichur to Srisailam on Sunday morning and returning on Monday afternoon. Need advice on road conditions and best route.

Car: Hired Tata Indica

Option 1: (Source Mapmyindia.com)

Srisailam Project Township, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh TO Raichur, Raichur, Karnataka

Distance: 280.67 Km Time: 10 hrs 38 min

Srisailam Project Township, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
Kurnool, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh
Gadwal
Bear right on SH 13
End at Raichur, Raichur, Karnataka

Option 2:

Distance: 248.00 Km Time: 9 hrs 44 min
Start from Srisailam Project Township, Kurnool, Andhra Pradesh (SRISAILAM) and head North on SH 8 125.43 Km
Cross the following on way:
Nagarkurnool

Turn left on SH 9 45.57 Km
Wanaparthy at 24km

Turn right 64.08 Km
Gadwal

Bear right on SH 13 1.00 Km
End at Raichur, Raichur, Karnataka

Which is the best option?
Any other suggestions for the route?

I would also need info booking for the stay at Srisailam on Sunday night.

-Shashi
neon_daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Default Did bangalore Srisailam unplanned

Yesterday I returned from Sri-Sailam a totally unplanned trip thanks to this thread and MuraliSk

Took Bangalore - Kurnool ( NH7) - Atmakur - Dronala - Srisailam route roads are good all the way.

We started from Bangalore quite late around 10:30 from home it's not easy to start with a 2.5 yrs old kid any early and we were not fully decided till morning where we actually want to go. After Yelenhanka i thought radar gun zone is skiped so increased speed to hundred only to be stopped by a cop at next traffic signal and was fined for 300 Rs.

It was around 12:00 we could reach near Devanhalli and then junior cried for a Dosa (which he never eats otherwise) so a dosa brake only to find no dosa at that time. Continued to Chika-Ballapur and dosa cry shrill increased , Stopped once more but only got 2 idles which he simply refused.

Before this realized after KR Puram on ORR that I left Camera at home there was no point going back so decided to buy one use and throw film camera anywhere (actually got it in Srisailam) and take finer pics next time.

Filled up tank at HP CoCo outlet before Kurnul and asked a truck driver for the way ahead and he suggested going via Atmakur instead of return route suggestion by Murali on this thread.

The Forest gates close at 9:00 and we were at HP CoCo / Dhaba 66 KM before Kurnul at 5:00 PM so he suggested that we can take night halt at kurnul, At 6:00 We reached kurnool and entered in the city looking for a hotel and on chatted with a Cabbie for the same , He suggested that if we rush we can reach there in time it is just 180 KM and he was right.
By the time we managed to exit Kurnool on the way to Atmakur it was dark.

Did some crazy driving in night using dipper to gain side from APSRTC Express bus driver who think that they own road , The road was single lane at most of the places , A lot of crowd was in the villages due to Ead and it was time consuming to navigate so reached at 8:00 Atmakur , While exiting Atmakur asked another truck driver if it is possible to reach at this hour and he was doubtful but said you can reach in Safari in 1.15 hrs and he was bang on the spot.

Forest road was generally good single lane so for overtaking trucks needed to get down from the road. Driving on lonely road in dark was bit unnerving .
Spotted a black buck in the forest , Deer Spotting in wild life sanctuary is not big but black buck was my first time in South India.

Heavy rain after Kurnool was slowing the speed but managed to reach the forest check post after Dronala in time , Ghat road from Dronala to Shri-Shailam is good and well marked , managed to keep the speed high and reached Shri-Shailam before 10:00.

As no booking was done all the Sadans there were booked and APSRTC Harita was also unavailable. There are no private hotels and nearest private hotel is in sunnipetta town finally found a good room in Choultry /dharmshala and had Darshan next day morning.

Opted for special rudrabhishek which had long Q being long weekend and navratri so was in temple till afternoon and had to chuck idea of Nagarjun Sagar dam which is 179 KM.
Return Journey was uneventful did not go to Belum caves ( 90 KM from Atmakur )as returning to Bangalore was priority.

Total 1121 KM done.

No pictures as role from use and throw film cam yet to be developed and forgot my cam at home.

Quick tips to T-BHPian.

1. Book seva and accomodation on net.
2. If you can not book accommodation and reach late no need to rush and go up to Sri-Sailam. There is one Harita resort at forest check post in Dronala which is better then any other accommodation in Sri-Sailam .
Stay there for night and start early morning.

3. Night driving is much easier on these ghats as it is well marked.

Banglorians better watch driving manners this crazy city makes crazy and impatient drivers.

I was pleased to see people overtaking only from right and respecting traffic rules. ( unlike 100 KM radius of Bangalore) where people do not buzz from right lane and think people should overtake from left.

Only car I found violating this cardinal principle was KA-03 .. while return before Atmakur.

Last edited by amitk26 : 22nd September 2009 at 18:59.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 10:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Filled up tank at HP CoCo outlet before Kurnul and asked a truck driver for the way ahead and he suggested going via Atmakur instead of return route suggestion by Murali on this thread.
I did my trip almost a year back and at that time, the roads are under construction. They were laying concrete roads. Hence, I decided to take the alternate and longer route. I guess the roads are all done by now and would be a very good ride through Nallamalla forest, any day.
Old 24th September 2009, 11:26   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
I did my trip almost a year back and at that time, the roads are under construction. They were laying concrete roads. Hence, I decided to take the alternate and longer route. I guess the roads are all done by now and would be a very good ride through Nallamalla forest, any day.
Thanks once again Murali for originating this thread.
Actually I just looked at your thread in morning and decided to go with out reading properly so was trying to find rock garden 20 KM before Kurnool on NH7 with out realizing it is on Nadyal - Kurnool road ..LOL.

Roads in Nallamalla are good now and Concrete road at Atmakur is still a work in progress so no change from last year :-)
On NH7 4 lane work is still in progress and diversions are little quirky instead usual practice of creating a diversion and bringing back traffic to same side after few hundred meters here the diverted traffic runs on opposite side lanes for 10 - 12 KM untill there is a gap in divider to merge back and points to merge back are unmarked so at most of the streach of road both way traffic on both the sides of the road.
At some points complete switch happens due to chaos and it seems India has adopted left hand driving , But was still able to maintain above 100 and up to 140 Km/hr in few portions.

Crossing Anantpur is time consuming still.

Vast emptyness of planes wit in the area near to Anantpur were little unnerving for me don't know exactly why may be it is so out of place for dense population of India and reminded me of Colorado in US.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 12:26   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend Travelogues: Bangalore - Srisailam

Update from Aug 2012:

Route taken:
Bangalore - Anantpur- Gooty - Banganapalli - Nandyal - Cumbum - Markapur- Dornala - Srisailam.
distance: 620km

Srisailam - Dornala - Atmakur - Kurnool - Anantpur - Bangalore
distance : 540 km

Road conditions:
All sections between BLR - Kurnool on the NH-44 are good.

Kurnool - Atmakur: good. 2 lane, un-divided

Atmakur - Dornala: lots of patch sections. Single lane through the forest area. Be careful when you have to on to the shoulder. Suggest do not travel after sunset in this section, more due to road conditions becuase if you get stuck then it will be difficult to get help.

Dornala - Srisailam: good !
I heard that this section is closed after 6 pm. but not able to confirm it.

Dornala - Markapur: mostly good. There is a 20-23 km single lane section that is patchy.

Markapur - Cumbum - Nandyal : good section !

Srisailam -Dornala - Markapur - Kurnool is about 80-100 km more than Srisailam - Dornala - Atmakur - Kurnool.

Pls dont take Gooty - Pyapili - Banganapalli - Nandyal. It is single lane, and road surface is not consistent.

Food:
Kurnool was suggested. But I could not stop there.
Not many options on NH-44

Fuel:
There is a HP COCO between Atmakur & Gooty. this is accessible when going towards Gooty.
For the return journey, I filled at a IOC bunk in the same section, and fuel looked good enough.

Last edited by condor : 3rd September 2012 at 12:30.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote