Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 25th August 2008, 22:40   #1

Smile Just felt like sharing!

After having spent a rather vegetative Saturday (eyes glued to TV, eating, drinking and sleeping) and then again sleeping through most of Sunday, I got quite fed up with my pathetic self!

It was time to 'reclaim my life'. Nah, I don't own the beast but I like my Fiesta (1.4ZXI Petrol) quite a lot! (I love beast too!). So, the two of us took off for a long drive on NH-8 towards Jaipur. The idea was to have some delicious, scrumptious finger-licking chicken biryani midway with a little pint by the side...Yummy, tyres for the tummy!

As I hit the highway near the South City crossing - in a very relaxed mood - felt like taking it easy and see how much mileage I can 'reclaim'. So, the upper cap was fixed at 90kmph; and the Fiesta and I were cruising comfortably on the smooth roads! Drove like a Saint, gladly giving way to people in hurry. Even drove sedatly behind a bike for some time admiring the scenery around Neemrana (80-90 odd kms from Gurgaon).

Till, this guy in Santro came up behind me and flashed(!) me like crazy..saw that his parking lights were blazing away to glory and he did seem in a mad mad rush! Gladly got out of his way, but then something itched Grrr...Immediately, the t-bhpian blood boiled like crazy. Restrain, I called upon my soul - "He who overtakes you like crazy, shalt meet you behind the next obstinate truck!". But Paapu can't control the blood boiling saala!

Wooooosh, flies the restrain out of the (closed) window and I decide to give this flasher a taste of his own medicine. Nicely, I position myself behind him and give him the treatment. One-two flash flash! Three-four honk honk! But this is a man of steely resolve...he no cares...he loves the maneuvours of death :( And then I see my speedo hovering close to 120. Oops, whatever happened to i-like-ninety-lets-not-get-fiesty deal?! Sense prevails. I slow down. Back to Sainthood! Amen!

To cut a short story short, could not find the chicken biryani :( But the chhole-bhautre at Maharaja Resort was nice! Took the next turn and drove down back home lip-syncing to Jaggu Bhai, Shamur and Radio Mirchi!

PS: Topped up the tank back home, and ladies and gentlemen, she returned an amazing 16 kmpl with AC blasting full-on! Hmmm...she deserves a treat now...how about some cool alloys for her next weekend, eh?

Thanks for enduring me
EngineOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 12:37   #2
BHPian

Very Nicely Written!
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:21   #3
Awaiting Email Confirmation

nice description. most of my drives do end up like this. everything is going smoothly, and I'm feeling like a saint, when someone decides to test my sainthood. Normally, the transformation to devil from saint occurs quite quickly.
once lessons in devilry are imparted, I revert back to sainthood, and achieve a mileage of 18kmpl(diesel)

Do share more. Sharing is important for sainthood.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

This is a good one, EngineOil. Very well written with the right bit of humour! :-)
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

, that's one well written piece! Look forward to reading more of your adventures & yes - she deserves alloys for her sterling performance!
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineOil View Post
Wooooosh, flies the restrain out of the (closed) window and I decide to give this flasher a taste of his own medicine. Nicely, I position myself behind him and give him the treatment. One-two flash flash! Three-four honk honk! But this is a man of steely resolve...he no cares...he loves the maneuvours of death :( And then I see my speedo hovering close to 120. Oops, whatever happened to i-like-ninety-lets-not-get-fiesty deal?! Sense prevails. I slow down. Back to Sainthood! Amen!
Hope that was not our own super santro.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Lets make this the "Felt like sharing" thread for such wonderful write-ups!!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineOil View Post
But Paapu can't control the blood boiling saala!

But Pappu definitely can write, salaa . What a lovely writeup this is. Kudos EngineOil and please do write more such posts.

Last edited by devnull : 27th August 2008 at 13:55.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 13:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Very nicely written. Was engrosed in this totally until the last word. Yeah, I own an Ikon and you treat her nicely the same favour she will hand over to you. Since both of them come from same family (ford) . I get around 16~17 kmpl on highways. I also drive around 90~100 kmph keeping the rpm meter within 2500~2750.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:03   #10
BHPian

That's delightful reading, Engineoil. I like the idea of just driving away not to go any place in particular but just to enjoy the drive. If I am driving to reach a particular place, I have a time frame in mind and I end up trying to beat that. Its the aimless drive that soothes me completely. That is the only time I am a saint in the car. Otherwise, I easily succumb to the flashers and hooters in Santros etc.. Your write up struck just the right chord.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Enjoyed reading.

OT: So a new travelogue on going to Lunch. Should have titled as "In chase for a Chicken", ya I meant the biriyani
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 14:19   #12
BHPian

There is one thing that I am clear before leaving home (around 6:30 - 6:45 am) on my way to office - no crazy driving, come what may. But, there will be more than irritant drive that kind of triggers the wild side in me. From then on, its my way all the way till I reach office. In the process, I end up wasting lot of petrol, peace of mind and lot of wrinkles on my forehead. But, off late, I have really mellowed down and try to keep the revs around 2000 (+ or - 200). With this change in my attitude towards irritants, I see significant improvement in my mileage and my peace of mind. My NHC is giving me an average of about 17 kmpl within the city with A/C on all the time.
muralisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2008, 15:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
There is one thing that I am clear before leaving home (around 6:30 - 6:45 am) on my way to office - no crazy driving, come what may. But, there will be more than irritant drive that kind of triggers the wild side in me. From then on, its my way all the way till I reach office. In the process, I end up wasting lot of petrol, peace of mind and lot of wrinkles on my forehead...
Hey, that's precisely as it goes for me. Every day. Today, I put on some quiet music, set off on time, and at a green light, set off at 50kmph behind a file of cars. Suddenly one of the cars in front brakes, which all cars manage to replicate on time. Except for the guy behind me, in a red Getz. He bumps into me and pushes me into the Indica ahead of me. The Indica guys knows the bump is light and keeps going. I am hoping nothing has happened to my car also. I get off and check, and the Getz guy actually apologises. No damage done, I get back in the car, but by then the resolve to drive coolly, has evaporated. And like every other day, I am back in my revving routine. Who knows how much fuel I have burnt because of this.
Sorry for having gone off topic.
Old 27th August 2008, 20:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

How can the music be quiet... And haven't the Mumbai police banned music in the vehicles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Today, I put on some quiet music, set off on time, and at a green light, set off at 50kmph behind a file of cars.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2008, 09:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How can the music be quiet... And haven't the Mumbai police banned music in the vehicles?
Mumbai police are the butt of all jokes now.

I think there is a clarification now that only loud music with thumping base will attract the attention of the Mumbai Police.

I can't begin to imagine the embarrassment of the Deputy Commissioner of Police Traffic who actually said any music was illegal. He could have read the law first.

Last edited by prabuddhadg : 28th August 2008 at 09:19.