Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st August 2008, 00:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics riju. hoping to see more pics tomorrow.
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 00:59   #17
BHPian

Default Breath taking pictures

Wow these are breath taking pictures, simply too good.
I was planning to do the Coastal karnataka in October, after seeing these pics I am certain I am going
ajithvpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 01:21   #18
Team-BHP Support

Breathtaking is the only word that I can think of. Breathtaking. Wait - I already said that.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 19:22   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
By about 3pm I have managed to tan every inch of skin and none of us had any energy left in us.
Ahem !

Wonderful pics there Riju mone! You seem to have rediscovered your touch, both with the camera, as well as the processing.

I always wanted to explore Coastal Karnataka, but i feel the biggest hurdle i would face is the language, and sign boards, if not translated. For someone with no Kannada knowledge, how difficult is it, in case i would need directions? The sorry state of roads is the next of my worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
to be continued..
The wait continues. Keep 'em coming.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 19:41   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I always wanted to explore Coastal Karnataka, but i feel the biggest hurdle i would face is the language, and sign boards, if not translated. For someone with no Kannada knowledge, how difficult is it, in case i would need directions? The sorry state of roads is the next of my worries.
Misplaced fear man. Some of the Team-BHPians who visited here had come from Gujarat, TN and Delhi.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 20:07   #21
BHPian

excellent pics man!!i am dying to know the state of the roads from murudeshwar to kundapur.from manipal to kundapur there are several bad stretches which spoil the fun of a good drive!!
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 20:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Benny, what an excuse buddy !! atleast you know one south indian language clearly and I know none but still managed everywhere. Common, just bring that Mike out of the crowded ORRs to the highways.

Plan a trip and not the road condition, language blah blah and chill out.

Some tips:
Study the map clearly before starting the journey, wherever you get stuck ask for the next city not your destination. eg, when I was stuck at Kanchipuram in my last trip I asked for Vellore highway not GQ or bangalore etc etc (Many people may not know what a Golden Quadrilateral is?). similarly in the prev. trips too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Misplaced fear man. Some of the Team-BHPians who visited here had come from Gujarat, TN and Delhi.
And a bengali as well

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 31st August 2008 at 20:27.
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 20:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Benny tell me you find it difficult to move your heavy rear . Infact you would be surprised to know that there is a lot mallu population around. For a fact in Karnataka I have never heard of an instance where communication has been a problem. People always have been real helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
excellent pics man!!i am dying to know the state of the roads from murudeshwar to kundapur.from manipal to kundapur there are several bad stretches which spoil the fun of a good drive!!
Check the mangalore- bangalore route thread.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 22:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Study the map clearly before starting the journey, wherever you get stuck ask for the next city not your destination. eg, when I was stuck at Kanchipuram in my last trip I asked for Vellore highway not GQ or bangalore etc etc (Many people may not know what a Golden Quadrilateral is?). similarly in the prev. trips too.
Absolutely Abhi. I do the same thing whenever I go to TN / Kerala side or for that matter to any other place.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 23:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Day 3 : 24th of August

Am up by about 6:15am with the sound of the waves crashing about 100 mts away from our cottage. Walk up of the resort to find the fishermen coming back with their catch for the day. Order for a cuppa coffee and head over to the beach to take a few pics.

Name:  DSC_0420 Medium.jpg
Views: 2455
Size:  66.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0424 Medium.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0425 Medium.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  90.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0331 Medium.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  127.1 KB

Find loadsa crabs and a small shark(maybe) in their nets. Spend some time talking to them and a few mins later Mallik also joins me. I go click click...

The plan for today is to meet my cousin who studies in Manipal and then catch up with our official guide in Coastal Karnataka from tbhp - Samurai ( LOL no offense Sharath, I was only kidding ) .

Time to face the music now. Ooh yes you guessed it right we have to traverse National Horror -17 ( Courtesy Samurai for that name ) till Manipal. The stretch between Kundapur to Udupi is horrendous. 35kms of sheer spine breaking and car wrecking stretch. I dunno what the situation would be if it had to rain.There is virtually no road as you near Brahmavar and Saligram. You could check a few pics here .

The bus drivers do this stretch without any remorse for human life, other vehicles and their own vehicles. Buses coming in the opp' direction have the headlights switched on and the one's tailing you are honking mad like there is no tomorrow.

Mallik did the honor of driving today and took the roads in his stride. Slotted the car into 1st and simply let it roll and take the cratered roads with ease. We made it without any trouble to Manipal, cursing the government for this sad state of roads.Come' on this is the national highway and it deserves
to look like one.

Spend some time with my cousin and then call up Samurai who turns up in 5 mins time.We drive up to End point in the GV and the man gives us a feel of the vehicle. To me it looks like a wise decision to have switched over to a SUV and use it around.

Name:  DSC_0515 Medium.jpg
Views: 2030
Size:  70.2 KB

We walk around End point with Sharath showing us various locations, the park and the football field is humongous. This is when I get a chance to hold the infamous Olympus in my hands. On a serious note, I never knew the camera was this good until samurai clicked this pic . Mind you this was shot in a fraction of a second. Was pretty impressed with the camera's
build quality and its features.

Name:  DSC_0457 Medium.jpg
Views: 1996
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0486 Medium.jpg
Views: 4345
Size:  68.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0495 Medium.jpg
Views: 2192
Size:  55.9 KB

By now its 2pm and time for lunch. Sharath takes us a to wonderful Chinese resturant in Manipal and the food was simply luscious. I kinda hate chinese food since I feel acidic after eating it. This time around for a change I savored on the food and violaa my taste buds felt revitalized.

With our bellies full , Samurai offered to show us his office. I get a drive in his jeep around the office and see the much discussed incline where the GV was stranded. A quick tour of the office and its time to call it a day with Samurai. Sharath had a house warming to attend at a rel's place.Bid adieu to him and we are off' back to Kundapur.

Name:  DSC_0516 Medium.jpg
Views: 2395
Size:  95.4 KB

Name:  DSC_0521 Medium.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  62.8 KB

(Sharath thanks for being a wonderful host. Thanks much for your time showing us around and the lunch. This is from all of us who were there.I owe you one and next time you are in bangy please do call me, would be a pleasure to have you around. Lets make a deal, next trip to bangy the evening toast is on me. What say ? )

Once again facing the brunt of National Horror -17. The ladies missed the sunset the previous day and dint want to miss it today for anything. Just made it in time for the sunset, a few shots

Name:  DSC_0545 Medium.jpg
Views: 1957
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0552 Medium.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  31.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0562 Medium.jpg
Views: 2005
Size:  32.7 KB

Convince my wife to take a leap from the rock for this shot.

Name:  DSC_0570 Medium.jpg
Views: 1928
Size:  30.2 KB

Reality starts creeping in now. All of us are a little upset that we need to get back to bangy tomorrow. Mallik and me give the car a quick wash for tomorrows drive and settle down for dinner. I have a few beers and we talk endlessly about our time spent here.

Call it a day and crash by 11pm, since we need to get to Udupi tomorrow for a wedding. Day 4 and the final leg coming up tomorrow, have been busy all day with my mundane chores.Seeya all

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 31st August 2008 at 23:40.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 00:07   #26
Team-BHP Support

Let me add couple of shots I took then.

There were many eagles gliding near us, shooting them against the bright sky is an exposure nightmare. But I got one of them lit from the top, it was practically flying at our level.

Name:  P8241579.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  P82415791.jpg
Views: 1926
Size:  51.8 KB

I later got Riju and gang against the background. That strange decoloration you see on the river is not a camera problem. Since it was low tide, the sand bars are slightly visible under the river.

Name:  P8241586.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  137.8 KB
Old 1st September 2008, 10:03   #27
Senior - BHPian

@rj, Wow. Wonderful writeups and pics.
@samurai, the eagle shot is great.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Riju, looks like it was another fun road trip for you'll. Nice pics. So when and where is the next trip?

Sharath, what lens did you use for the Eagle shots? NGC stuff. lil grainy though how come?
IronWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:11   #29
Awaiting Email Confirmation

great pics riju. I think i missed these on flickr. are they put up there yet?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 11:18   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
Sharath, what lens did you use for the Eagle shots? NGC stuff. lil grainy though how come?
It was shot with 50-200mm, the grainy effect usually shows up in OOF areas. Notice this shot taken at the same time, the bokeh is grainy.