Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2008, 14:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Talking of the "unknown" Munnar, has anyone driven on the Chinnakanal (Club Mahindra/Sterling Resorts) - Suryanelli - Bodi Medu road, where you rejoin Nh49? I tried to, during one of my trips, but was told it was a 4WD road (especially during monsoons) and it offers some spectacular views. Feedback, anyone?
Old 9th October 2008, 14:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

2 interesting ideas for Munnar:

- If you have some "planter" connections, you must visit the Kundale Club, which is affiliated to the Highland Club. My Scorpio photo (see alongside) was shut at the Kundale Club, which is one of those 1920s clubs, which overlooks a huge open grassland, the path for elephants and bison - imagine sipping your Vodka on the Club's verandah and watching this wildlife procession go by!

- Taj Hotels has been talking for some time now of running luxury homestays in the planter bungalows owned by Tata Tea (now Kannan Devan Tea) - truly the best places to stay in Munnar region - far away from town, the best vantage hill points, surrounded by nature. I wonder if that plan ever took off.
Old 9th October 2008, 15:03   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

- If you have some "planter" connections, you must visit the Kundale Club, which is affiliated to the Highland Club. My Scorpio photo (see alongside) was shut at the Kundale Club, which is one of those 1920s clubs, which overlooks a huge open grassland, the path for elephants and bison - imagine sipping your Vodka on the Club's verandah and watching this wildlife procession go by!
Is this Kundale after Devikulam, when travelling from Munnar to Chinnakanal? i remember seeing a lone British style bunglow there atop a hill, onlooking the Aranayankal dam.
Old 9th October 2008, 16:17   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

- Taj Hotels has been talking for some time now of running luxury homestays in the planter bungalows owned by Tata Tea (now Kannan Devan Tea) - truly the best places to stay in Munnar region - far away from town, the best vantage hill points, surrounded by nature. I wonder if that plan ever took off.

Pictures coming up on this

Taj wanted to put up a hotel. Kannan Devan decded against the Taj hotels for environmental reasons. Homestays are run by KDHP themselves
Old 9th October 2008, 18:15   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Taj wanted to put up a hotel. Kannan Devan decded against the Taj hotels for environmental reasons. Homestays are run by KDHP themselves
Actually, achumama is waiting to take back the land, - and allowing Taj to run homestays would be a good reason.
Old 9th October 2008, 19:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

Achumama is trying to create a record of maximum destructions and 'take over' run in the history of Kerala, sorry, no chance of constructing anything ! Even if he plans to construct anything, it will be in the brand logo of "Sickle, Hammer and Star" !! So, tourists will be forced to use the sickle, hammer the bisons and count the stars. I dont belong to any parties, but I like him, atleast people will remember him as a man of 'actions'.

Back to the topic, I have tried through the chinnakanal route, but due to heavy rain and mist, had to take a U turn and come back to Munnar. So, couldnt get a clear view of the route.
Old 9th October 2008, 20:06   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Actually, achumama is waiting to take back the land, - and allowing Taj to run homestays would be a good reason.
He tried, but he has no papers to disprove ownership. The fact that KDHP is owned by management and workers works totally against him
Old 9th October 2008, 20:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Is this Kundale after Devikulam, when travelling from Munnar to Chinnakanal? i remember seeing a lone British style bunglow there atop a hill, onlooking the Aranayankal dam.
No, the Kundale I am talking about is between Mattupetty Dam and Top Station. You have the Kundale Dam - and boating - and once you cross the dam to the other side, you reach the Chenduvurai Estate, tea factory and Kundale Club.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks