Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th October 2008, 22:06   #1
BHPian

Default Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur

Hi,
I joined this wonderful group today and this is my first post on the forum. This is a travelogue of my trip to Nagarhole-Kannur which I completed last weekend.

Day 1- Started from Blore by 4:45 AM. Took thekanakpura road and the BMIC road to kengeri. Clear road saw us at Barista at Channapatna by 5:45. A break for our morning coffee and then we continued to Srirangapatna. A bypass via Rangathittu saw us at Hunsur by 8:30. The roads to Hunsur are just too good. We had breakfast at Annapurna Restaurant on the Hunsur Madikeri Road. At thsi point we took a wrong turn and took the Road to Gonikoppal. In Anehosur we realised we were on a wrong road. So, took the jungle road to Nagarhole via Tittimatti. Another road goes to Nagarhole via Gonikoppal. But hoping to see wild life on this lesser visited road, we took the former route. The road was jerky but navigable with pacthes of road roads in middle. This passed through a beautiful country side. We crossed Bylala and hit a sharp rock in a pot hole just near the forest barrier. The gear box broke down and the vehicle was immobile.
Luckily with the help of locals, we managed to get the car towed to Gonikoppal which was 22 kms away. Itwas Eid and all workshos were closed. Finally we found one open at Gonikoppal. The expected cost for the repair was Rs 9000, so I thought of claiming insurance. My insurance agent asked me to register the case with police and take an acknowledgemet for insurance claim. It turned out to be so slow process that the whole day was lost in it. Finally I was frustrated and asked the mechanic so start the repair without an insurance.
Stayed in Hotel Nandanvan in Gonikoppal. Paid him Rs 360 for the night.

Day-2: With the car still under repair, we took a bus to Madikeri. Visited Rajaji's seat and Abbe Falls. Returned back to Gonikoppal in the evening and took the car which was repaired by now. Drove to Irpu falls. It was late in the evenign and we stayed in the "Jancy Moon" home stay. It was late in evening and we were not in a mood to have dinner. So, we bargained a room for Rs 500.

Day-3: Left for Nagarhole by 6 AM. Nagaohole is 16 kms from Jancy Home stay. The idea was to take the first Safari of the day as it is beleived that you see the maximum animals in the first and last safari of the day. The road is just average with bad patches at some places. The road is also a single lane. So, every time there is a traffic from teh oppiste direction, slow down and try to stick to the road and wait for the other guy to get down the road. Finally when the vehicles coem too close for comfort, both of them pull down the side wheels on the road. In case, theer is a Truck or Bus from the other side, these gusy wont budge a inch from the road and you would be forced to take to take your vehicle off the orad to save yoru dear life and car. The other option is to come to standstill right on the road in case you see a bus/truck from the other side. The bus/truck driver would look at you with disgust and forcibly take his vehicle off the road. These were some of the early morning lessons for me.. Jeep Safaris no more exist in Nagarhole. All that you have is a noisy minivan. Paid them Rs. 95/person and got seat in the first bus safari of the day. Saw lots of Sambars, a group of bison, malabar squirrel, wild peacocks, Langurs and Fresh pugmarks for Tiger and Leopard. There are some forest department rest houses located right inside the NP. It would be great experiecne to stay there. The forest guys ask to you to book 2 weeks in advance. Here are the phone number: 80-23341993, 0821-2480901, 08222-252041.
We then started from Irpu falls. There is left turn around 2 kms after kutta which takes you to Irpu falls. The roads are just too bad #@$%%&. I was really worried about another break down of my car. It took me around 20 minutes cover the distance of 3 kms. Another road to Ipru falls goes via Jancy Homestay. The road is very good but you have to drive around 8 kms extra. Beautiful falls located in a equally beautiful locale. A bath in this fall is recommended.

We then started for Tholpetty. The road immediately after Kutta is just terrible. It took around 15 minutes to cover those 2 kms. I still need to understand the rational behind the idiots in karnataka Govt who have **** all the border roads for unknown reasons. Once you enter the Kerala border, the roads are like a dream. We passed by WLS at Tholpetty. There are now lot of private jeeps that offer you safari in the jungle. A jeep costs Rs 300 plus Rs 100 for a forest guide.
As per Velu's (pvvelu of thsi form) advice, we went to the Tirunelli Temple. The temple is located at a beautiful surrounding at the backdrop of bramhagiri hiils. Enroute is also the starting point to the trek to Pakshipatalam. Roads are good and its a nice drive on the winding road.
We then moved towards Kuruva island. After katrikulam, take a left to Kuruva island. The roads leading to the island are bad. Its a very very touristy place. Very crowded. As the water level was high, it was difficult to wade the river and the queue for the Boats was long, so we planned not to visit the island.
We then headed to Mananthavady and then to Thallassery. Its a very very scenic drive and strongly recommended for someone who is comfortable driving on the ghats. It took us 4 hours to reach Thallassery. We passed thorugh Tea estates, coffee estates, rubber estates, farmhouses, forest, beautiful misty mountains ranges and then descenced to the coastal town of Thallessary. The roads become bad again around 20 kms before Thallessery. We watched the sunset and then went to the drve in Mazhapulladam beach. Its amazing. You can drive right here on the beach for 5 kms. Imagine a beach around 100m wide with no traffic and you can drive your car anywhere you feel like. This stand second only to the "More Plains" enroute to Leh where you have a 400m wide table land and you can drive your car anywhere you feel like.
We drove to Kannur for the Night stay. The traffic from Thalessery to is very bad. All loaded with heavy vehcles. I wonder how the highway traffic is allowed right through the middle of the town in Kannur. Its crazy. In Kannur, we stayed at "Hotel Sweety. Its a hopeless hotel. Completely avoidable.

Day-4: We had planned to drive back to bangalore via Bhagamandala.But we realised that it would a long long drive with around 150kms on the ghats. The total drive would be 450kms to bangalore. It was difficult to cover in a single day for a solo driver. So, we planned to take the same route via nagarhole. We visited Palilyam beach on Kannur, the Mazhapulladam beach again in Thalacchey. This time I was driving my car very close to the sea. The waves were hitting my Alto and I could touch the waves while driving. A few trips up and down the beach and then we started on the way back to Bangalore. In the morning hours, it took us 2.5 hours to cover the 92 kms of ghat section between Thallessery to Mananthvady. At katrikullam, we saw a board saying "Mysore 95" kms. We tooks thsi road and after some 7 kms we entered the karnataka border, the person at the check asked me not the take the route. They said "If you want to go on thsi route, then first arrange for a tow vehicle". This was the Bavali to Karapura stretch which i came to knor later has not been repaired for years.

We now took the road to nagarhole. The road inside the WLS is good except for the speed breakers which come regularly after every kms and dont let you move fast. Once out of Nagarhole, road till Bangalore is good. Finally reached bangalore by 6 PM.

One observation I had is that the roads are good till the last village in the karnataka side. But from the last village, the roads till the border become even difficult enough to drive. These are the three roads which I encountered in the trip:

1. Virajpet - Irritti: The stretch of 17kms on the karnataka side is so that that no vehicle travels on it any more. Not even the hordcore truckers or the roadways can maneuver thsi road. Beacuse of the 17 kms of bad stretch, people have to take a detour of 100 kms to reach KAnnur in Kerala. This road has not been repaired since alst 6 years.

2. Kutta - Tholpetty: In this stretch 2km road is on karnataka side. The road is so bad that the strecthc of 2 kms took 15 minutes to cover.

3. There is another road near katrikullam which leads to Mysore. Mysore is just 90 kms from there. The road again was so bad that the people in the check post in karnataka asked me not to take the road. One of them said "If you want to take thsi road, then first arrange for a tow vehicle".

Thansk,
JP

Last edited by Samurai : 14th October 2008 at 00:54. Reason: Too many smilies, read the forum rules before posting further
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 22:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

Its surely vacation time. Its been raining left & right with Travelogues.

Nice writeup. If with pics would have been great. Welcome to T-BHP.

Quote:
"If you want to take thsi road, then first arrange for a tow vehicle".
This is the highlight.

OT: We could understand the frustration you have due to good roads. But, I guess you are not suppose to use those words even with "*" in those as alternative. So, be little more careful. And also go through the announcement section.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 08:21   #3
BHPian

Hi @recker_us,

Good report, and do post some snaps of the jungles, wildlifes..and off course ur gear box..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
We crossed Bylala and hit a sharp rock in a pot hole just near the forest barrier. The gear box broke down and the vehicle was immobile.
Sad to hear this.

Quote:
I still need to understand the rational behind the idiots in karnataka Govt who have **** all the border roads for unknown reasons.
All the karnataka border roads I hv gone through are really bad. The route via muthanga forest is little better

Quote:
In Kannur, we stayed at "Hotel Sweety. Its a hopeless hotel. Completely avoidable.

Day-4: We had planned to drive back to bangalore via Bhagamandala.But we realised that it would a long long drive with around 150kms on the ghats. The total drive would be 450kms to bangalore.
This hotel and its coffe shop are always bad. There were many good hotels around the vicinity, you could have tried some thing better.

The route via Bhagamandala has only 25km forest area, but this is dense forest and u will hardly find any vehicle. Roads are good. From Kannur, the distance to bagnalore via this route will be more than 450km.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 13:28   #4
BHPian

Not able to upload the pics. Looks like some DB problem. :(
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 14:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not able to upload the pics. Looks like some DB problem. :(
I too have faced such issues sometimes. Just try to reduce the number of pics in one upload. it should be ok.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 18:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
We now took the road to nagarhole. The road inside the WLS is good except for the speed breakers which come regularly after every kms and dont let you move fast. Once out of Nagarhole, road till Bangalore is good. Finally reached bangalore by 6 PM.
Nagarhole is forest buddy, and in the roads in there are not meant to be driven fast. If you really wanted to drive fast, then get out from there and go onto some race tracks. One need to enjoy the forest through roads.
Atleast in these kind of travelogues dont mention about such unsafe thoughts.
anup7649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2008, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Default Trip Pics

Here are some of the pics which were less than 1 Mb.Couldnt upload the other pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151524_img.jpg  

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151567_img.jpg  

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151572_img.jpg  

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151582_img.jpg  

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151584_img.jpg  

Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur-1151586_img.jpg  

recker_us is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 13:02   #8

Default Re: Bangalore-Mysore-Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Nagarhole-Kannur

I am planning to drive down to Ezhimala from Bangalore during the last week of the year. Planned route is Srirangapatna, Hunsur, Gonikoppa, Valithode, Srikandapuram, Madayi, Ezhimala. Alternative is Mysore, Manontoddy, periya, sikandapuram, Madayi, Ezhimala. Intend to start in the morning and reach by evening. Any route suggestions. Regards.
speed185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2013, 21:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed185 View Post
I am planning to drive down to Ezhimala from Bangalore during the last week of the year. Planned route is Srirangapatna, Hunsur, Gonikoppa, Valithode, Srikandapuram, Madayi, Ezhimala. Alternative is Mysore, Manontoddy, periya, sikandapuram, Madayi, Ezhimala. Intend to start in the morning and reach by evening. Any route suggestions. Regards.
Please refer the Bangalore - Kannur route info for update on the road condition.

You can take Hunsur - Periyapatna - Siddapura - Virajpet - Irikkur - Sreekantapuram - Thalipparamba - Payyanur - Ramanthali - Ezhimala.
RajeshK is offline   Reply With Quote