Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2008, 23:26   #121
BHPian
 
sumitkalindi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 374
Thanked: 13 Times
Default

This is undoubtedly one of the most graphik experiences by a Tbhpian. Hats off to the crew for standing by their duty till the last moment.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2008, 01:05   #122
BHPian
 
johnda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tvla
Posts: 401
Thanked: 11 Times
Default

Dhiraj, Dude that was awesome, Brilliant. (good memory, vivid description, excellent delivery)
I went tru the whole thread in one sitting. In a way i was glad that I read it now and not when you were posting, I wouldn't have had any finger nails left
But I must say 'A griping True Story' And i was thanking God that it turned out this way, reading your story its quite evident that it could have swayed the other side?

All the best on your journeys and I pray you never have another 'Abandon Ship'

regards
Joe
johnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 20:18   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 213
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Beautiful narrative & a haunting story. You are a master storyteller and that is all for us to see. Why not consider writing a full-time profession?
given2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2008, 23:15   #124
ECM
BHPian
 
ECM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 221
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Deky somehow I missed this thread,amazing stuff I must say and thank god for saving lives of those onboard.
Such disaster may have hidden reasons and not only some electric short circuit,was your ship run on steam turbine?In this case I suspect boiler.
ECM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 15:22   #125
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 47
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I read this today and will not repeat the good things others have already said but what caught my eye was the fact that you used to work for Taj Mumbai earlier. Surely it must have felt very bad to visualize the destruction that happened there. In that sense your idea to leave a "secure job" in Taj might well have saved your life in the long run, ironic but perhaps true?
DDGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2008, 19:26   #126
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Beautiful narrative & a haunting story. You are a master storyteller and that is all for us to see. Why not consider writing a full-time profession?
Thanks for the compliment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Deky somehow I missed this thread,amazing stuff I must say and thank god for saving lives of those onboard.
Such disaster may have hidden reasons and not only some electric short circuit,was your ship run on steam turbine?In this case I suspect boiler.
I dont think it was the boiler, all the initial information and the subsequent reports said it was a short circuit in the main switchboard. So ill maintain it was a short circuit fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDGuy View Post
I read this today and will not repeat the good things others have already said but what caught my eye was the fact that you used to work for Taj Mumbai earlier. Surely it must have felt very bad to visualize the destruction that happened there. In that sense your idea to leave a "secure job" in Taj might well have saved your life in the long run, ironic but perhaps true?
You absolutely right. After 26/11 I keep visualising what would have been my fate if I was still there specially considering the fact that 2 of my batchmates who did catering college with me and joined Taj with me both were injured in the firing. Ironically they the only one's left from my batch in Taj. Luckily both are recovering well.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 19:30   #127
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Wow. Wonderfully written. Glad that all came out without a scratch. By the way what happened to your shoulder? Was it not a big deal or did you fracture it?
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 13:07   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
Wow. Wonderfully written. Glad that all came out without a scratch. By the way what happened to your shoulder? Was it not a big deal or did you fracture it?
You mean when I hurt my shoulder when the ship was listing and I slipped?

That time everything was happening so fast that I did not have the time to think what was going on with my shoulder. Later when we settled in our hotel rooms, I did have some discomfort, but the comfort of being alive was definitely overpowering than the discomfort.

So I guess it turned out to be not such a big deal after all.
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 14:21   #129
Senior - BHPian
 
14000rpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rochester, MI
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 584 Times
Default

there are no wrods that'll describe the scare you've goen through. thank god alls fine. The experience must've shaken you off completely. Kuods to all the bravery shown on the rescue operation.
Deky, you can really be a terrific novelist. the fine details you capture are simply beyond appreciation. it manages to hold the readers glued to your narration completely.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 14:31   #130
Senior - BHPian
 
hellstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,071
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
You mean when I hurt my shoulder when the ship was listing and I slipped?

That time everything was happening so fast that I did not have the time to think what was going on with my shoulder. Later when we settled in our hotel rooms, I did have some discomfort, but the comfort of being alive was definitely overpowering than the discomfort.

So I guess it turned out to be not such a big deal after all.
said that like a true sailor eh ?
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 16:06   #131
BHPian
 
ikoneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 486
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

@Deky, what a chilling experience that you have went through. I guess you had enough experience for a lifetime. Let all your future sails be uneventful.

Nice write up and was like reading a thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat and was able to recall Titanic and Pirates of Carribean.

For the courage and endurance
ikoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:36   #132
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,428
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

That was a fantastic narrative deky! I am not a shippy, but I did work in my company's shipping division for five years in a shore based job - I was responsible for the payroll of onboard personnel - so had many friends at all levels, from Master / Cheng downwards. We had three tankers and managed two more - not any more, all of them were sold off during '99 - '00, and off I went to the Bangalore office of our parent company.

Whenever the ships were in Indian ports I will go onboard with the individual payslips, sit with the ship's purser and clarify doubts of crew members and listen to giievances. I will often give the purser the slip to go to each individual's work station / cabin and talk to them there, just in case they had a grouse against the purser. I understand what it takes to work on ships and empathise with what you went through.

I want to share one nugget with the other non-shippies here. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have observed, there seems to be a built in redundancy in life boat capacity. If the total souls onboard (SOB) is 50, then lifeboat capacity is 100 - 50 on starboard side and 50 on the port side. I think this is because if the ship lists towards one side, then it becomes impossible to lower the boats on the other side. Is it so in all ships, or did I see it only on our ships, which had a total complement of about 40 - 45 at any given time?
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 13:18   #133
Senior - BHPian
 
deky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 1,192
Thanked: 1,029 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
there are no wrods that'll describe the scare you've goen through. thank god alls fine. The experience must've shaken you off completely. Kuods to all the bravery shown on the rescue operation.
Deky, you can really be a terrific novelist. the fine details you capture are simply beyond appreciation. it manages to hold the readers glued to your narration completely.
The rescue operation was a joint effort by all the crew members with the Captain and the Hotel Director at the helm. More than bravery, it was the presence of mind I would say that saved the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
said that like a true sailor eh ?
Not sure about that, but at they say "once a sailor always a sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
@Deky, what a chilling experience that you have went through. I guess you had enough experience for a lifetime. Let all your future sails be uneventful.

Nice write up and was like reading a thriller, kept me on the edge of my seat and was able to recall Titanic and Pirates of Carribean.

For the courage and endurance
Thank You. I am glad this wasnt even half as bad as the Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That was a fantastic narrative deky! I am not a shippy, but I did work in my company's shipping division for five years in a shore based job - I was responsible for the payroll of onboard personnel - so had many friends at all levels, from Master / Cheng downwards. We had three tankers and managed two more - not any more, all of them were sold off during '99 - '00, and off I went to the Bangalore office of our parent company.

Whenever the ships were in Indian ports I will go onboard with the individual payslips, sit with the ship's purser and clarify doubts of crew members and listen to giievances. I will often give the purser the slip to go to each individual's work station / cabin and talk to them there, just in case they had a grouse against the purser. I understand what it takes to work on ships and empathise with what you went through.

I want to share one nugget with the other non-shippies here. Correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have observed, there seems to be a built in redundancy in life boat capacity. If the total souls onboard (SOB) is 50, then lifeboat capacity is 100 - 50 on starboard side and 50 on the port side. I think this is because if the ship lists towards one side, then it becomes impossible to lower the boats on the other side. Is it so in all ships, or did I see it only on our ships, which had a total complement of about 40 - 45 at any given time?
The international Maritime Safety law applies for all the sea going vessels. The governing body checks all ships for the LSA (life saving appliances) i.e. life boats, life rafts, life jackets etc etc from time to time. After the periodical checks only the vessel is deemed to be sea worthy.

As per the law, the ships sea fitness certificate has to be displayed at the gangway (entrance) of the ship all the time.

I am not sure as to exactly what the law states regarding the number, but you are right about the fact that each side of the ship, port or starboard side will have enough LSA to support the total number of compliment of personnel on board in case of an emergency like listing.

Regards
deky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 17:06   #134
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 63
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Really horrifying episode!!!! and great write-up...

Hats off to the captain and crew!!!
viv1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 11:25   #135
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kottayam
Posts: 588
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Deky, i was just caught up the spirited narration, i had just spent the last hour reading this, it was like i was literally there as it was happening. I thank God for your safety and all the other souls on board. Wish you more happier days in your time ahead
Majic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timeless Travel: A Journey of 8,400 Nautical Miles across the 7 Seas! swsumit Travelogues 24 25th May 2015 21:02
Hello from the seas! manas27587 Introduce yourself 7 4th November 2013 09:52
Check out this site..simply cool!!! karthik247 Shifting gears 6 17th August 2009 00:29
SEAS Lotus SQ Monster - 2007 Honda CR-V gunbir In-Car Entertainment 175 20th October 2008 12:37
4way Active with Seas Lotus, DLS, ID, Tru sk456 In-Car Entertainment 6 4th September 2006 15:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks