Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th November 2008, 22:15   #16
BHPian

The homestay is called Windcrest! The tarrifs no one remembers, but I believe it was about Rs.2.5k per day. Food is expensive and not really worth coz there are no varieties as such. Since all around you have lot of pineapples (inside the homestay), almost all dishes taste like them. Apart from the food this place is great!

For alcoholics and people who eat pork, i guess this place will be heaven as some pork dish is famous in Coorg, they say it is their speciality.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2008, 15:27   #17

The Home stay I had stayed is "Fields way". The tariff per room is 1.5k but is a beautiful place to relax. You get home made food for a good price and tasty as well.
ashis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2008, 20:31   #18
BHPian

i had been to talacavery thrice but love to visit coorg. it had given may soldiers for our nation. i would like to vist that budhist pagodas as well. any more information on that
magesh_kumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 10:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Maddy,
my ancestors belong to those hills(beautifully captured in your pics, good job done). I go there once in two years to our ancestral home. Your pics made me feel that i should be there once in a year!!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 11:31   #20
BHPian

What would be best time to visit Coorg?
How far is it from Bangalore?
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 09:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
What would be best time to visit Coorg?
How far is it from Bangalore?
Best is from Nov to March IMO
From Bangalore it is ~260KM. I would be going to Coorg in Dec end during Christmas holidays
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 09:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Best is from Nov to March IMO
From Bangalore it is ~260KM. I would be going to Coorg in Dec end during Christmas holidays
Coorg is towards Mysore ? How are the roads? How much time I would require to reach Coorg from Bangalore? I'm not a fast driver and I have a Swift.
Swifty2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 09:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty2008 View Post
Coorg is towards Mysore ? How are the roads? How much time I would require to reach Coorg from Bangalore? I'm not a fast driver and I have a Swift.
Yes it is towards Mysore
Take SH17 and continue towards Mysore via Maddur, Mandya and Srirangapatna. You can use NICE road. At Mysore, take Right to SH88 towards Madikeri via Bilikore, Hunsur, Priyapatna, Kushalnagar and Suntikoppal
Roads are OK as per the people here said. If you drive at average 70 you will take 5 hrs to reach keeping in mind you will take rest. Start early morning you can cover Mysore in 2 hrs rest for 1/2 an hr and then again start. Swift is perfectly fine.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:54   #24
@ri
BHPian

I had been there early this month, and the weather is just perfect! Gets a little warm though during the day so it would be a good idea to travel on light clothing and carry a jacket for the night. We had started at around 6 in the morning and we could visit the Kushalnagar monastery and finish lunch there. Don't miss the momos there! They are jsut yumm
@ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 15:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ri View Post
I had been there early this month, and the weather is just perfect! Gets a little warm though during the day so it would be a good idea to travel on light clothing and carry a jacket for the night. We had started at around 6 in the morning and we could visit the Kushalnagar monastery and finish lunch there. Don't miss the momos there! They are jsut yumm
Kushalnagar monastery ! I never heard that. Any pointer where to locate them when we reach Kushal Nagar. DO post some pictures if you have.
Old 21st November 2008, 15:14   #26
@ri
BHPian

some pics from my recent trip to Coorg
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2008, 15:17   #27
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Kushalnagar monastery ! I never heard that. Any pointer where to locate them when we reach Kushal Nagar. DO post some pictures if you have.
Just uploaded the pics. It is called the Namdroling Monastery and is a treat to the eyes. You will need to take a left before you reach Kushalnagar. In fact we had missed the turn too :(.
A better idea is to just ask some locals.

Last edited by @ri : 21st November 2008 at 15:30.