Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th November 2008, 20:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Ramky, what a travelogue!!

Can we call it an 'Extreme Travelogue'?!
Thanks for sharing.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 20:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

My time is up for the edit of previous picture of Pandav Gufa...

Picture of tree where bears have clawed up to take honey off the beehives here, full of behives, smoking is prohibited or you could die of a bee-sting.

Another picture where you see a wall with underbrush and water dripping, above is thick forest, animals come to the edge and fall off and die, the guide said 2 months back a Sambar fell and died on the spot!!!!!
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 21:41   #78
Senior - BHPian

Default Last Part..... rest my case.. Thanks

05-11-08: Again, infromation from here back to Bhopal was difficult, I went by one account in India Mike of a person who was ga-ga about the Sagar, Vidhisha route, 400 km, what a trap it turned out to be.

From Bhimita to Chhatrapur, Nh-86, was pot holed, one side ok and not worth calling NH, 46 kms took 50 mts and then we turned to Sagar road. Most ghat sections are good, here's a photo of one that just ended.

MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06419.jpg

Till Sagar, this was again forest, villages, bad roads mostly, 107 kms, 3 hours, so you can imagine, some sections were bad, so we thought, we had no inkling of things to come from Sagar.

Sagar on and 40 kms road was a mixed menu, good with bad and then we took a turn to Vidisha, 16 kms took 30 minutes, all gravel, thro the forest and grinding thro 3rd and 2nd, what a trap it turned out to be, believed the travalogue of the person from India Mike, I think people here are more authentic and genuine (like me).

We reached Sanchi at 150pm , take the entrace ticket for the monument at the counter in the entrance right after you turn from the main road, went up to see the Stupha. Did the rounds, took the photos and came to the only decent food place there, Gateway Cafeteria. Food was OK, clean and economic.
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06428.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06439.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06440.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06457.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06458.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06469.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06481.jpg

From hereon to Bhopal, the GPS was god sent, the tracking was accurate, we entered the city into a maze of roads and thick traffic, reached Ranjit Lake view without error, thank you GPS. It was a difficult day, felt pretty cheated having taken the Vidisha route and was kicking myself for not having done the research a little better, getting lost inside Bhopal traffic could have added insult to injury. The room was OK, lake facing, we only wanted food and board, had a tough journey back to A'bad, almost 600 kms.

06-11-08: Got the WOLT cleaned,

MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06503.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06486.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06507.jpg

it was dusty and dirty due to the Vidisha route, started @ 650, navigated out of Bhopal cleanly. The first 40 KM was fast, there's a new 4 track road being made bypassing Sehore, from then on agian traffic was heavy, one the heaviest I have seen, something similar to Kochi to Trichur, bumper to bumper, trucks, truck and trucks. Cattle, tractors, small traffic and twisties made it all a test of patience and skill, one miscalculated overtaking, you'd get caught in a jam or create one, nobody wanting to give way. It was a relief whe we reached Dewas, 2 hours and 158 kms (I wanted to cover distance fast and was pretty aggressive and hence my average was OK) later and opened up on the 4 trck to Indore. Our saved GPS position of Hotel SriMaya took us clearly inside for B'kfst and we headed out at 11.

The return was the same, bad roads till Gujarat Border, 200 kms took 3 1/2 agonizing hours. In one of the sections the wheel cap flew off when we hit a pot hole, my wife fortunately spotted it flying off, had to stop and Nidish had to fetch it from 500 mtrs off.

MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06510.jpg

There was an exciting part too at the border.

A trailer had overturned after Jabua, there was a 10 kms long queue of trucks, only cars were allowed. Somebody opened up a tracK thro their fied over a small hillock, boulders and tractor roads, we had no idea about the road, just folloed one of the M&M jeeps, 4x4 (later foundout), half way thro the hillock the climb was sliding for our 2x4, told my wife and son to get out and push along with the locals and use stones to stop the slide back, on 1st gear. We got stuck on the downslide, told everyone to cler off, a stone was tuck on the back wheel, then slowly reversed and went down sliding to land in a tractor track.... would never attempt something like that again without a 4x4. One thing though, the power of the WOLT was amazing, any other 2x4 car would have been a disaster.

MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06515.jpg
MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06525.jpg

Gujarat on we hit Dahod, Godhra, Dakore and then Vatva, 230 kms in 2 hours, one of our best timings. We were pretty happy to be back to base after such a rewarding trip.

Need to say this, we did not have even one hiccup from the Wolt engine, never failed to respond, never gave trouble, stopped predictably on braking and was a fountain-head of confidance. What a piece of engineering, salutes to you M&M. It overdid my expectations, I was sweating plenty on the off-roading after Jabua, it was sheer torque of the brute that pulled me thro., power alone was not enough. Was reminded what my friend S.Sarkar when I drove his truck in Delhi last time, the torque of the Truck at any gear is what makes driving fun, its available on tap if you know how to use the revvs.

MP roads: Improving fast, though now its bad. It would become one of the best driving destinations in about 1-2 years, MPTDC is one of the best chains and improving fast. Day time travel ideal, not to even think of driving after 6 pm on anything lesser than know NH tracks. Take lots of information beforehand and route your track properly.

Overall Feeling: One of Everest conquest, something like when Alva Edison felt when he saw the bulb glow. Though the track was difficult, it's one hell of a state to travel, relatively unspoilt and has bag fulls of surprises, MP is still wild, exciting and rustic.

Wil I do it again, you bet, at the next opp. there are so many other places to see there.

TBHP: Who would have written this Epic, who would have captured all these photos, if not for the encouragement of boarders here, knowing well the story is going to be useful to those here.

This turned out tobe my MAHA-TRAVALOGUE, much more than I ever wanted or expeted, Apologies if I have tested the patience of many and stretched the bytes.

I rest my case.......

MP: Temples,Hills, Marble Rocks, Water falls, Tigers, Erotic Statues and.....-dsc06539.jpg

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th November 2008 at 22:00.
Old 16th November 2008, 21:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Ramky, awesome !

Guess you are no longer ruing not making it to Ladakh this year. There's always next year for that.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 22:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant Ramky. Simply brilliant...Reading the travelogue I felt as I was a part all through..
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2008, 22:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ramky, awesome !

Guess you are no longer ruing not making it to Ladakh this year. There's always next year for that.
Hay,

I wonder if there ever can be a substitute for Ladakh... still raring to go at the next opp.

Thanks again for the PM, I finally learned though your clear mail how to inset the pictures along with the narration.

I am not looking forward to making another travalogue for some time now.... hands and shoulders paining.... need to take a Voveran tonight, driving 3000 kms + was easier

GD1418: Thanks for the support, your gear lock came in pretty handy...
--

Last edited by ramkya1 : 16th November 2008 at 22:06.
Old 16th November 2008, 22:15   #82
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic journey Ramkya. Congratulations. I have said this before and I will say this again - it takes real courage to drive on your own through Madhya Pradesh. Not only are the roads in pathetic condition, the people in the villages are not used to tourists and they have no idea where you are coming from or where you are going. Getting lost here is one of the easiest things to do.
In Maihar we spent a small 15 minutes or so, in the main pilgrimage destination for Indian classical music lovers - the original home of Baba Alauddin Khan sahib. Though no one quite stays there any more, the property is well maintained and is quite an abode of peace in that dusty and busy little town.
It will be my ambition to do this trip on my own once in life. And mind you I will bug you then. Thanks for taking all the trouble for us.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 06:44   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely and engrossing narrative. You have talent to transport us through it all as if we were with you. No need to rest you case it was already prejudged from the very first post.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2008, 15:26   #84
BHPian

Brilliant travelogue and pictures Ramky! It's almost as if we all were driving with you , speaking of which, we hope we can do it sometime.

Cheers,
Roshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 08:30   #85
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ramky !
Great trip and a great write up ! Jolly good show dear chap !
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 10:28   #86
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Thank you all....

Hai ppl,

Life for the last 7 days has been like being inside a turbo, round and round and fast, has not been able to respond to all the encouraging posts.

Guderian,

Thanks, was wondering about your silence. Looks like lots of traveling and hectic schedules ???

Roshun,

Thanks, look forward to driving with you and others in the gang up there.

Sudev,

Thank you for the +ve judgement, means a lot to me.

Sudipto,

Thanks. I am sure by the time you do this trip; roads would improve. The toll roads are already good, from indications of what I see, post-elections, rest of the roads to major tourist spots would be good too.

I agree on the getting lost part, except for the taxi drivers, nobody seems to be knowing routing, places, conditions etc., a good GPS would be of great use in MP, my Destinator was a life saver, major roads are detailed well, routing and POA's spot on.

Please bug me for what ever information I have.

--Ramky

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd November 2008 at 10:30.
Old 22nd November 2008, 12:26   #87
BHPian

Default hi ramki

Thanks for the very good write up. I have done all the MP routes 3-4 times before. Actually if I had come across your travel plan earlier i may have provided you very useful information and accounts.
rammishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 08:26   #88
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammishra View Post
Thanks for the very good write up. I have done all the MP routes 3-4 times before. Actually if I had come across your travel plan earlier i may have provided you very useful information and accounts.
Hai Mishraji,

Thank you.

Yes, inputs from you could have been better for me, maybe next time.

It would be interesting to know when you made the trip in MP. What route did you take from Indore to Panchmarhi, how were the raods? What route from Panchmarhi, Jabalpur, Bandhavgarh, Khajuraho, Bhopal etc., specially the road conditions and the time it took for travel.

Please do post your route, places seen and road conditions of your travel.

Incidentally, a friend travelled last week from Bhopal to Sagar thro Raisan, said the road is very very good, very smooth and fast. That means the road I took from Sagar, Vidisha to Bhopal was the wrong one, it was a traumatic drive. Shows what timely intel. can do.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=======
Old 26th November 2008, 10:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

Guderian,

Thanks, was wondering about your silence. Looks like lots of traveling and hectic schedules ???

Oh you bet and more not sure whether I am coming or going or where I am on a particular day ! Errr...which place did you say you visited ? What was the travelogue all about ?
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:16   #90
BHPian

I must admit that i never thought MP is so amazing. I knew it had good forests , but nothing like what i have seen in this thread. Especially the pandav caves.
prmd_cochin is offline   Reply With Quote