Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th November 2008, 08:58   #91
Senior - BHPian

Hari, those 5-10min were horrific for all of us as I was the last car to take the U turn.

5 min before the incident:
After the start from the petrol pump myself, Bombatt and Mjothi the last in the convoy. I thought I need to overtook Khan soon. In trying all these, I see Khan is speeding very fast and I am not able to catch him. At that moment,

I told my wife, "Probably Khan is testing something in the car"
Wife to me laughingly, "Bechara, slow chalake thak gaya hoga, let him push. Then you be the last, lets follow the 800, once Khan gives way we will overtake 800".
I told 'OK'.

I kept following 800 for 3-4km. After that 800 had to slow down to give way to a cattle and I had a right lane empty. Instead of loosing momentum, myself and mjothi just passed him. This is about a km before taking the S curve.

At that narrow S curve. At that time, infact my wife told me from rear seat, "Very narrow road and these buses drive so fast (after a bus zoomed past me)"

The Aftermaths:
My wife started to cry as soon as Hari shouted that "Perez had accident". I have never seen my wife shivering so much. In all those tension, she started shouting at me, "Why did you overtake him?, Since you overtook him, he might have sped up and ended up in such a accident". I was fearing the worst and just praying nothing should happen to them.

Slowly stopped a little far from the site which from far looked worse. I told Mrs. Khan to be near my wife, I went closer. I see Mrs. Mjothi hands shivering like anything. I have never such a scene. Anyway within a min I see Shereel with Priya (Mrs. Deepak) and told everyone that SHereel is fine. I am sure Perez is fine as well. Once Perez started walking back, shock slowly turned to smile and people spent time in the nearby chai shop waiting for the guys to return from PS.

All of us waited there till 7:30PM and once things were under control decided to on to Bangalore.

Special Thanks to Hari and Bombatt for managing the local guys and staying back the next day and be with Perez all the time. I salute the tiny kids in the group for their patience they showed in the chai shop without cribbing.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 09:58   #92
Team-BHP Support

Good to know that Perez and company came out fine with no injuries. Kudos to Hari and the rest of the team who stayed back to help, and guide Perez through what was a difficult time.

I feel that the crash guards on the M800 are what prevented greater damage to the front when it landed head first. I also believe that Perez and his gal were wearing their seat belts, else it could have been bad, had their heads banged onto the dashboard.
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:04   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
.... I also believe that Perez and his gal were wearing their seat belts, else it could have been bad, had their heads banged onto the dashboard.
Their car does not have seat belts. It was the crash guard + the fact that they went into some thick bushes that gradually reduced the impact of the fall. The thick bushes acted like cushions.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:06   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Slowly stopped a little far from the site which from far looked worse. I told Mrs. Khan to be near my wife, I went closer. I see Mrs. Mjothi hands shivering like anything. I have never such a scene.
Yes, since she had badly tasted death and back from it after a major accident in late 90s, and that was one reason I don't want to take her near the spot.

She knows what a real pain is under such situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I feel that the crash guards on the M800 are what prevented greater damage to the front when it landed head first. I also believe that Perez and his gal were wearing their seat belts, else it could have been bad, had their heads banged onto the dashboard.
Sorry to mention it here, but, the car did not had seat bealts. But all I could say is, a really lucky chaps.

@pervez, this incident should NOT stop you from doing long distance again. Only thing it should do is, make you judge more accurately about "other" vehicles while overtaking.

Cheers.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
@pervez, this incident should NOT stop you from doing long distance again. Only thing it should do is, make you judge more accurately about "other" vehicles while overtaking.
And for God's sake next time take a car that has seat belts, better tyres, company fitted crash guard and some engine power to take you through with your overtaking maneuvers.
You were very lucky to escape with no injuries, although the recipe for bigger disaster was very much there.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:55   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Their car does not have seat belts. It was the crash guard + the fact that they went into some thick bushes that gradually reduced the impact of the fall. The thick bushes acted like cushions.
If that was the case, they should definitely be thanking their lucky stars!
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 10:56   #97
Senior - BHPian

Great to know that all are safe and mighty kind of those who stayed back and helped Perez out!

Good going people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And for God's sake next time take a car that has seat belts, better tyres, company fitted crash guard and some engine power to take you through with your overtaking maneuvers.
You were very lucky to escape with no injuries, although the recipe for bigger disaster was very much there.
+1 to that.

Thanks God that nothing serious happened.

Perez, you need to re-look at what actually went wrong there. Since you were the one overtaking, you should have been more aware and careful. Scrapping of the bus means that you were took a very (very) close cut neat the bus body. Ouch!

Take care, mate.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:30   #98
BHPian

Hats off to all you guys who were there to help out Perez. Thats the spirit of TBHP.

As Khan Bhai said Perez you were lucky to have a good crash guard and the bush to cushion your fall; Think its time you try fitting off market seat belts to make your travel safer.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:35   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
As Khan Bhai said Perez you were lucky to have a good crash guard and the bush to cushion your fall;
I dont think there is any such thing as a "good" aftermarket crash guard. At reasonable speeds, all an aftermarket crash guard does is transfer the shock to the inside of the cabin, bypassing the car's crumple zones. The buckled up floor of the car in this case should give you an idea as to how much of the shock was transmitted to the cabin.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:37   #100
Senior - BHPian

Guys, lets stick to the travelogue and Vihangama visit. I feel there is enough posts on what had to be done by Perez and what not. Otherwise, what ever the visit we had and posted as travelogue here will have no meaning. (My opinion). I agree this incident was a part of the visit, but...

@ Mods: Can a new thread be opened for people to discuss about this incident instead in continuing in this travelogue itself.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:51   #101
BHPian

with you else the whole thread will be hijacked;

Guys this was a wonderful travelogue with some amazing pics; loved the cave snaps on the river bed; Wish i knew about your travel plans as i could have popped in to say 'hi" too as I was in Shimoga during the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Guys, lets stick to the travelogue and Vihangama visit. I feel there is enough posts on what had to be done by Perez and what not. Otherwise, what ever the visit we had and posted as travelogue here will have no meaning. (My opinion). I agree this incident was a part of the visit, but...

@ Mods: Can a new thread be opened for people to discuss about this incident instead in continuing in this travelogue itself.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 11:54   #102
BHPian

Thanks guys for all the support and concern shown. Am definetely getting the seat belts fitted as soon as the car comes back, probably ask Mr Dsouza to fit them on at Chikmagalur itself.

On the crash guard however, there have been some different opinions coming in from different quarters. While most of us including me feel it was the crash guard that saved the front, the MASS guy was himself of the opinion that it was the crash guard that actually broke the bumper and hence did more damage than any good. So for now, am not going to get a new crashguard as such, might think of another one later if necessary.

Also, would request that the incident please be put behind all of us. The debate on what could've been done at that point could be a non ending one and the analysis on who's fault it was could also continue into a few more pages. Sherrel recollects seing the bus swerving into us and hence causing the crash.

Am also posting this request for her. She reads the forum very often and is still quite shaken up by the whole incident. Hence for her sake and for us all to move on i would request this be closed right here.. The trip was a memorable one and i for one would like to carry the positive memories from it for a longer time than this incident.

@ mjothi....sir, i am definetely back on the highway once i get the car back. Cant let an incident like this stop me from doing what i love but yes, i will be a wiser driver, but a driver forever.

Thanks.
Perez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 12:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perez View Post
@ mjothi....sir, i am definetely back on the highway once i get the car back. Cant let an incident like this stop me from doing what i love but yes, i will be a wiser driver, but a driver forever.

Thanks.
Everything is perfect, just remove that sir

Last edited by mjothi : 19th November 2008 at 12:21.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2008, 15:08   #104
BHPian

All's well that ends well ! We all have come out of this incident stronger.

This unfortunate incident happened right in front of me and my wife. It was most horrible moment in our life. I do not want to go into detail what happened as all that I remember is -

I was standing on the edge of the road and yelling Perez... Perez... and there he is, 15 ft below in his little car. He takes off his hands from the steering wheel, looks towards me, waves his both hands and yells back we are fine... we are fine.

God is Great !!!
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote