Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th November 2008, 19:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hey SB,

Finally you got it going over here!

Thanks mate!

Great photos; come on, let the remaining one's also out!
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 19:54   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Default FAQ for the doubting Thomases...

1) What if I lose my way in the waterway maze? How do I manage without milestones ?
Ans : Well, the guys have an answer to your fears too. Check this out. Complete with distance in kms, direction etc.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01122.jpg

Note : Kerala has an extensive network of waterways which links almost all of the state. These were used for business decades ago and AFAIK the Govt is working to restore them to its past glory.

2) What if I want to just go for a lazy boat ride with my pet ?
Ans : Hey you can do that too. No petting in public though.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01116.jpg

3) I am a bird-watcher. What options do I have ?
Ans : Your options range from domesticated birds like these....
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01092.jpg

....to wild visitors like these. Take your pick.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01131.jpg

4) How do I take a bath in the backwater ?
Ans : Very simble. Just like the kid below.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01148.jpg

5) I wanna dive for pearls. Is there an option ?
Ans : Oh yeah - like the guy below. Though the only thing you are likely to get are shells. And ensure that you know swimming before jumping in.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01152.jpg

6) I need to get the real taste of Kerala. What do I do ?
Ans : Just ask your friendly boatman to pull close to the following establishment and have your fill. Dont forget the awesome seafood.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01111.jpg
supremeBaleno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

amazing pictures and the deal that you landed ie Rs 8k for two boats is a very nice deal and worth every penny at this season.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Some snaps of house-boats - poetry in motion or when standing still.

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc00981.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc00983.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc00985.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc00988.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01024.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01032.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01079.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01091.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01132.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01141.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01146.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01159.jpg

A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01161.jpg
supremeBaleno is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:27   #35
BHPian

Hey Supreme, This is a awesome travelogue. The pictures speak a lot. I am glued to this thread even though I was having a truck load of work at my office today.

What is your camera gear and how did you manage to take such a breathtaking shots on a moving boat?
ubsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:31   #36
BHPian

Supreme, superb pics and nice travelogue. Pics are really amazing, thoroughly enjoyed.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While wind energy is being seriously harvested in Tamilnadu, I do not think Kerala has ever taken any serious steps in this direction. Since Kerala faces a power deficit, inspite of having hydel power projects, this would seem like a nice idea to pursue.
Visit Ramakkalmedu in Idukki dist and Attapadi in Palghat and you will see the extent to which wind energy is being harnessed - the scale of these projects and the connectivity to the grid is not something you can see in other places.

Quote:
Note : Kerala has an extensive network of waterways which links almost all of the state. These were used for business decades ago and AFAIK the Govt is working to restore them to its past glory.
IMHO those efforts are better utilized in trying to restore our roads to their past glory of the pre-Achumama days. At least the waterways dont have potholes.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 20:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

nice traveloque biju. Wonderfully shot pics and a neatly written report.

Reminds me of my stay in a houseboat at Kumarakom 2 years back.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2008, 21:49   #39
BHPian

You have beautifully captured the people and landscape. And I liked the way you have written your travelogue rather than just covering the itinerary. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience. Waiting for the rest of it.

Last edited by akbaree : 20th November 2008 at 21:51.
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 07:48   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Rahul, you should do this (atleast once). It is just out-of-the-world.
Let me think, we have been to a hill station full of tea gardens and lived on a tree house, visited perhaps one of the best places known for beaches in the country, all that is left is a ride with the wild animals in their own habitat and a stay on a boat house. Though our next plan was to go to a wildlife resort, seeing this thread I guess I shall have to prepone my boat house trip.

Now to convince 0111 to take a break soon.

Biju, I shall call you for help in booking the boat house. Also, is it too much of an inconvenience to communicate if you don't know the language? I am guessing it shouldn't be, specially wondering how all the firangs communicate.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 09:42   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubsmart
Hey Supreme, This is a awesome travelogue. The pictures speak a lot. What is your camera gear and how did you manage to take such a breathtaking shots on a moving boat?
Thanks, ubsmart. Camera used was a Sony-H7. But more than the camera, I think the place is so breathtakingly beautiful that any camera should churn out nice snaps. And the moving boat is not really an issue given that houseboats do not travel at high speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Visit Ramakkalmedu in Idukki dist and Attapadi in Palghat and you will see the extent to which wind energy is being harnessed - the scale of these projects and the connectivity to the grid is not something you can see in other places.
I stand corrected then because I never remember seeing windmills in Kerala - but then I have never been to Idukki also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
IMHO those efforts are better utilized in trying to restore our roads to their past glory of the pre-Achumama days. At least the waterways dont have potholes.
Yeah, the roads are crap. When it takes a nudge from the High Court for the Govt to repair roads, we know the quality of governance.

But at the same time, I am all for restoring the waterways. Alappuzha has a superb network of canals and if the civic authorities were to take the effort to keep it clean and navigable and introduce ferry rides, I am sure that it can easily give the Siene and Amsterdam ferry rides a run for their money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
nice traveloque biju. Wonderfully shot pics and a neatly written report.
Thanks, adi. How's Pune treating you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree
You have beautifully captured the people and landscape. And I liked the way you have written your travelogue rather than just covering the itinerary. Thanks for sharing this wonderful experience. Waiting for the rest of it.
Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
Biju, I shall call you for help in booking the boat house. Also, is it too much of an inconvenience to communicate if you don't know the language? I am guessing it shouldn't be, specially wondering how all the firangs communicate.
No issues about the houseboat, Rahul - would be glad to help. And yes, you said it right. If foreigners can travel the length and breadth of Kerala, why would language be a problem for you ?
Old 21st November 2008, 10:03   #42
BHPian

Smile

Quote:

6) I need to get the real taste of Kerala. What do I do ?
Ans : Just ask your friendly boatman to pull close to the following establishment and have your fill. Dont forget the awesome seafood.
Attachment 72342
Dear SB, this is the exact 'shaap' where i took the pics of the guys with a bucket full of toddy. you should be awarded for coming out with this wonderful travelogue which is already helping out potential tourists.

talking abt waterways, the 'traffic' congestion in the backwaters seems to've increased over the years. already its bit crowded out there.with the peak hours experienced between 11-12 and 4-5Pm. by an estimate there are 600+ houeboats now roaming around

and this in turn is causing more pollution. back in 2000, the water was so pristine..now it has turned muddy plus the attack of the waterweed is increasing at an alarming rate which is very evident in the pics
may be its time for the Govt. to step in and save the revenue earner.
Mysticeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2008, 10:07   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Default My dream ride.

One constant for all Keralites, is the dream to retire to Kerala. They spend a significant part of their lives outside Kerala for work, but their heart remains in Kerala. Spread all over the globe (remember the joke about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon thinking he is the first there, but a Mallu guy is already running a tea-shop there), yet yearning to be in that tiny sliver of land along the Arabian sea.

The common anthem for these NRKs (Non Resident Keralites) being the beautiful lines by Malayalam poet Vayalar :
Name:  KeralaGood.jpg
Views: 4058
Size:  9.9 KB

A rough translation for the benefit of non-Mallus would be :

Are there people who have lived in this place to their heart's content ?
Are there people who have lived here and loved to their heart's desire till their last breath ?
Please give me another life on this beautiful shore,
Please give me another life here ....

I am no exception and my dream retirement would be a small home alongside the river - already have the land, only the home is pending.
And ofcourse a dream ride, which would be similar to the one the guy in the following snap is using.
A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters-dsc01086.jpg

Yes, a small canoe, just about big to fit a person or maybe 2 max. And if you were to even make a small wrong move, it would capsize - yeah, handling is poor, but not only is the ride awesome, but would meet any Euro emission norms.

Some day.....
Old 21st November 2008, 10:29   #44
BHPian

Wink How to spend a day after retirement

dear SB, even mallus in Kerala would share you dream. even i've been dreaming abt this for years..have a home by the waterfront where i can enjoy the cool breeze, listen to the music of birds, watch the rain..have found out couple of spots for the same. but being in the banks of backwaters is really different. i think it was best captured in "kannu ezhuthi pottum thottu"

but, then who wouldn't want to live by simply singing the following song day after day (after retirement )

Kalakalm kaayalolangal paadum kathakal
Oru muthu polaam penkidaavin
kuttanaadan penkidaavin
Kathum novin pookkalaay
Narum thechi pookkalaay
kannuneer vaarkum kathakall
Old 21st November 2008, 11:24   #45
BHPian

Arrow

this is the problem of water hyancith which i mentioned in an earlier post. its spreading all over the abckwaters at an alarming rate. There's a lake in trivandrum called Akkulam Lake and in the last 2 years, it got fully filled with waterweeds

how abt this location for the home sweet home?