Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd December 2008, 23:26   #61
BHPian

Awesome thread! Nice pics of the countryside life.

Is there a possiblity to get the boats from their itself or have to make the bookings in advance?
rudrah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 01:38   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudrah
Awesome thread! Nice pics of the countryside life.
Is there a possiblity to get the boats from their itself or have to make the bookings in advance?
Thanks. Booking in advance is a better option - so that when you land there, you are assured of a boat. However, during lean season, I guess it should be possible to get one there itself.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 12:31   #63
SBR
BHPian

Dear SB,

A Very Nice Compilation of your trip. Inspired by your trip, I have planned a trip tp Aleppy in Off season.

Plan to be there is Aleppy on 03rd Aug and take a House Boat for a Day from say 1:00pm on 03rd Aug till 04th Aug morning. We will be a group of 5 Adults + 2 Infants or can go up to 8 Adults & 3 Infants.

Can you suggest a place to make a booking advance and how much to pay for?

Await revert.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 10:17   #64
BANNED

Great snaps.. Did you get a chance to do some fishing? Last time I was lucky to catch some Karimeens and lot of other fishes using country fishing line..
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2009, 10:34   #65
BHPian

Dear SB,
Beautiful experience just to go through your thread. The photographs posted by you along with the captions made it a fantastic read. Your experience would definitely have been many times multiplied. I was wondering if any such options are available closer to Karnataka border which I could explore whenever I drop in to Manipal, Udupi.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 13:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

You had a good time spent on the H.boat & nice pics.
How much do they charge for a couple in off season?
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:39   #67
BHPian

Default re: A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters

Hey Biju, nice to see this thread and thanks for linking this to a currently active thread.
In one of the snaps, which showed a church near the water body, I am pretty sure it should be the Nasrath Church Nedumudy, reason being, I have been there couple of times and once, I even boarded a boat from this "jetty" as it is called.

Nice to go back to those old memories.

Guess, how do we tell the boat that we want to board it ? There is a peculiar rotation of hand by the passenger to grab the attention of the boat driver and then he pulls over. Or else, he just drives through the "bye pass".

And the next thing,how do we grab the attention of the boat driver at night ?
Well, the most common practice that I have seen is, upon seeing aboat, the person who wants to board lights a match stick. Now a days, i think, he shines a torch in the direction of the boat so that driver can pull over.
joecherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 09:59   #68
BHPian

Default Drive to Alleppey and stay in a house boat

My dear Family,

I'm planning to drive to down to Alleppey on the weekend of 27, 28, 29, 30 of this month. I want to stay in a Houseboat that makes very good sea food . Its going to be just two of us. Can you suggest me the feasibility part? that is

1. Can i drive down till the houseboat area and park my car there?
2. is it safe staying in the houseboat and are there properly registered operators?
3. I'm planning to start on friday night and reach there by saturday morning. is it advisable? which is the best and safe route?
4. Can we stay for two nights? or can i stay for sat night and then go elsewhere nearby on Sunday? probably a beach resort? is yes, can you help me with accomodation pointers there?

Please let me know, so that I can plan.

Thanks so much in advance.
gabrielthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:40   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Drive to Alleppey and stay in a house boat

Ha, loved the "My dear Family" part.

The house-boat cruise is in my very humble opinion one of the must-do things in a lifetime. Inspite of being an Alappuzha native, I did this only recently and loved it. See my travelogue for more details and hopefully answers for all your queries. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ackwaters.html

They do serve sea-food for one meal, but I am sure you can get them to serve sea-food for both lunch and dinner if you so wish. And mid-way in the backwaters, you would find fishermen selling fresh catch (awesome pearlspot fishes, BIG prawns etc) which you can buy (bargain hard) and have it cooked.

Regarding your specific queries :
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas
Yes, you can drive down till the berthing area and leave your vehicle parked overnight near the tourism office.

Quote:
2. is it safe staying in the houseboat and are there properly registered operators?
Yes, there are many registered operators. You could even book through KTDC - I doubt they have their own boats, so basically they will hook you up with an operator and charge a commission for their effort.

Quote:
3. I'm planning to start on friday night and reach there by saturday morning. is it advisable? which is the best and safe route?
My Chennai - Kerala drives have been mostly night drives. If you have experience driving at night, why not. Route experts can give details on which is the best route - been a long time since I drove down.

Quote:
4. Can we stay for two nights? or can i stay for sat night and then go elsewhere nearby on Sunday? probably a beach resort? is yes, can you help me with accomodation pointers there?
This is usually from 11AM to 9AM of next day. Even with good things, too much is overkill. So, just keep it for 1 night and use the other day for something else. There are beach resorts I am sure, but don't have the details.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th June 2014 at 10:46.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 10:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
My dear Family,

I'm planning to drive to down to Alleppey on the weekend of 27, 28, 29, 30 of this month. I want to stay in a Houseboat that makes very good sea food . Its going to be just two of us. Can you suggest me the feasibility part? that is

Please let me know, so that I can plan.

Thanks so much in advance.
SupremeBaleno already answered the queries.

1. There is pay and park facility available near finishing point, Alleppey and its safe.

2. House boats are generally safe. Go with reputed agents.

3. You can check in to a house boat only by 11am/12 noon. Its not a great idea to drive overnight and sleep instead of sight seeing on boat.

4. House boat stay is ideal for a night. You may look for some resorts for next day. If possible, include Munnar in your itinerary and proceed to Chennai from there.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 12:47   #71
BHPian

Staying in a houseboat is a wonderful experience and in my opinion the best part is the sea food and the early morning cruise around the backwaters.

However do note that houseboats will be docked by evening as required by law and will cruise again only by morning.

Pay and park facility will be provided by them and it is usually manned by a guard so your ride will be safe.

One day should be enough for house boat. Like someone mentioned Munnar will be nice for the second day. If you do not plan to travel around much and prefer to spend time by the sea then do consider Abad Turtle beach resort. Kochi bhpians had a meet there and its a good resort with a semi private beach.

http://www.abadhotels.com/mararibeach/

Please do PM me if you require the contact of the owner of the houseboat that we stayed in. Will be glad to drop in a word too.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.
revintup is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 13:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wow, that home and surroundings look superb.

Thanks, Abhi. Feel free to contact me when you are ready for this and I would be glad to help.

Monsoon (Jun-Jul) is kind of off-season in Kerala and rates are cheaper. But I think there is a beauty in the rains too and I would love to do this again when it is raining. Imagine sitting on the deck, drinking a hot cup of tea/coffee with the sound of raindrops hitting the water. Pure bliss.

For those that plan to do the Alappuzha boat thingie, there are atleast 3 options that I know of :

1) The house-boat thing described in this thread, which is too good.

2) Second best is the ferryboat ride organised by KTDC daily from Alappuzha to Kollam and vice-versa - a distance of 90kms or so. Tickets are cheap @ around 200 bucks per person and they serve lunch on board and the boat leaves in the morning at 9:30AM or so to reach the destination by 6PM or so. It goes via the waterways of olden times and takes you through villages, coir-factories, temples etc, and they also stop at places of interest so that you get an idea of rural life.
I want to do this once - should be a real experience.

3) Last option is renting a small motor-boat on hourly basis and they will take you to Kumarakom, Paadhiramanal etc. But I did not find this much fun because for most of the time, all you see around you is just water - no humans, houses, vegetation etc.

Hey SB , this is just awesome ! Thanks for sharing this with us . We plan to do this sometime this year .

I will be interested in option 2 . Are you saying this boat turns around and drops you back at 6 pm or is it at Kollam ? Do they have any packages that manage stay also incase you have to stop over at kollam .

I will pm you whenever we plan to go about this .

Thanks again for this wonderful thread .
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 13:57   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
I will be interested in option 2 . Are you saying this boat turns around and drops you back at 6 pm or is it at Kollam ? Do they have any packages that manage stay also incase you have to stop over at kollam .
I will pm you whenever we plan to go about this.
If it turned around and dropped one back at source, that would have been good. But the boat just drops you at Kollam if you board at Alappuzha (and vice-versa) since it takes a full day to cover that distance. Sure, pm me if you need any more info.

If I am not wrong, the KTDC website should have the latest details (time/route/fare etc) for this trip. Don't know about stay packages, but KTDC does have a nice backwater-side restaurant called Tamarind at Kollam - just off the KSRTC busstand. You can book this online at http://www.ktdc.com/book-online.php

Lots of other packages are also listed at the site for anyone interested.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 11:47   #74
BHPian

Default Re: A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters

Guys,

I have almost confirmed my trip to Alleppey next week. A very Big thanks to revintup, coolclouds and supremebaleno for all the pointers.

Now coming to the safe and reliable route that I should take for night driving - I earnestly request Route Gurus to suggest options.

Thanks once again in advance
gabrielthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2014, 12:21   #75
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: A 24-hour cruise (houseboat) in the Alappuzha backwaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
Guys,

I have almost confirmed my trip to Alleppey next week. A very Big thanks to revintup, coolclouds and supremebaleno for all the pointers.

Now coming to the safe and reliable route that I should take for night driving - I earnestly request Route Gurus to suggest options.

Thanks once again in advance
My two cents:

You may take Krishnagiri or Ulundrupet route till Salem depending on your start point. Both are equally good but former is 6 lane for a good portion and may be easy to drive, but longer.

Salem-NH 47 all the way till Alleppey. There are no serious traffic blocks reported these days and traffic during wee hours are not much. Expect slow progress between Coimbatore bypass till Mannuthy (Trichur).

Check this link for Salem-Kerala options:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...erala-463.html (All Roads to Kerala)
Enjoy your holidays

Last edited by coolclouds : 20th June 2014 at 12:24.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote