Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th December 2008, 09:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

Dreamdiesel,Once again good pics with crisp write ups. Thank you for taking us to Ooty and back!!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2008, 10:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

thats a well documented travelogue... you sure had fun on the hairpins in the mist i guess... I had when i drove up there last time , i usually plan my trip in such a way that wereach the masnagudi turn off at around 2000 hrs when the road officially closes for the night .. round about which time the animal sightings are also more.
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 00:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Dreamdiesel,Once again good pics with crisp write ups. Thank you for taking us to Ooty and back!!
Thank You again, I am glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
thats a well documented travelogue... you sure had fun on the hairpins in the mist i guess... I had when i drove up there last time , i usually plan my trip in such a way that wereach the masnagudi turn off at around 2000 hrs when the road officially closes for the night .. round about which time the animal sightings are also more.
Thank you hellstar. Yepp. thats real fun going thru the forest after dark. I never thought of this before. Will do it next time I get a chance to go to Ooty or masinagudi
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 20:55   #19
BHPian

Dreamdiesel,

Excellent travelogue with nice pix. DD please clarify my doubt. Will there be any difficult to start diesel cars early in the morning?
I am planning the trip in my verna CRDi. If you don’t mind let me know the tariff at hotel Blue Bird.
I am planning this trip with 2.5y kid
I appreciate your suggestions for my trip
potlaravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2008, 21:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by potlaravi View Post
Dreamdiesel,

Excellent travelogue with nice pix. DD please clarify my doubt. Will there be any difficult to start diesel cars early in the morning?
I am planning the trip in my verna CRDi. If you don’t mind let me know the tariff at hotel Blue Bird.
Hellstar
can you also plese throw some lights on my doubts
Old 6th December 2008, 02:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Dreamdiesel,

Glad you liked the travelogue potlaravi.

The modern diesel/petrol engines will have no problems starting early morning in cold temperatures. The ECU will sense the engine temp and will adjust the fuel accordingly for a clean start. Battery has to be in good condition though. The Verna CRDI will be a great car to drive down to Ooty. You will really enjoy the drive.

I would not recommend the Blue Bird hotel to anyone. There are lot better hotels in Ooty and Coonoor. I can suggest a few accordingly to suit your budget. Please feel free to PM me for any details in Ooty. Will be gald to give you info.

The weather is pretty cold now. Tempeartures can touch single digits int he nights. Carry lot of Woolens. (gloves must)

Will you be driving from Hyd?

Regards,
GODWIN

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 6th December 2008 at 02:30.
Old 6th December 2008, 15:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dreamdiesel,
I have done this trip numerous times. the first was in 1994 in my 1975 fiat. That time i had to go by the longer route as i doubted my fiats ability to climb the hairpins. Then after that the omni drives up and down were regular. i last did it in 2006 in a friends scorpio. That is why I must compliment you for bringing those memories back to me. Really nostalgic ones. The photos did the trick and were accompanied with a great text.
GD
goandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 13:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Glad you liked the travelogue potlaravi.

The modern diesel/petrol engines will have no problems starting early morning in cold temperatures. The ECU will sense the engine temp and will adjust the fuel accordingly for a clean start. Battery has to be in good condition though. The Verna CRDI will be a great car to drive down to Ooty. You will really enjoy the drive.

The weather is pretty cold now. Tempeartures can touch single digits int he nights. Carry lot of Woolens. (gloves must)

Will you be driving from Hyd?

Regards,
GODWIN
DD,
Thanks a lot for prompt reply. Appreciated.
As of now the plan is driving down form Hyd.
I will PM you for more .

--Ravi

Last edited by potlaravi : 8th December 2008 at 13:26.
Old 8th December 2008, 13:44   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
DD,
Thanks a lot for prompt reply. Appreciated.
As of now the plan is driving down form Hyd.
I will PM you for more .--Ravi
So Ravi, which route you taking? Hyd->Combiature->Ooty or Via. Bangalore? I was there during Christmas time a few years ago and the temprature reached 0 Degrees one night.

It was awesome fun when me and wifey walked after having our dinner and it was around 9:00pm and it was foggy and couldn't see anything. We had a difficult time getting an Auto to reach our hotel.

I just love cold places during winters !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th December 2008 at 13:49.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 16:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
So Ravi, which route you taking? Hyd->Combiature->Ooty or Via. Bangalore? I was there during Christmas time a few years ago and the temprature reached 0 Degrees one night.

It was awesome fun when me and wifey walked after having our dinner and it was around 9:00pm and it was foggy and couldn't see anything. We had a difficult time getting an Auto to reach our hotel.

I just love cold places during winters !!!
Avi.,
I am planning for Bangalore . Stay at my cousin house (Bhennergatta) for 1 or 2 days. From there to Mysore and to Ooty. Nice to hear you have a good time there .
As of now this is plan .

OT: Avi, Once again you had a Blast cheers: @ meet. Mail follows
Old 8th December 2008, 16:53   #26
Senior - BHPian

Great snaps. Nice to see Ooty again atleast through snaps. Practically lived there some years back.

Looks like the road to Dolphin's Nose and Lamb Rock is in good condition these days. It used to be really bad sometime back. Are they concrete roads now? If so good, coz it can often pour like anything in that area during the monsoons.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2008, 18:11   #27
BHPian

Awesome trip, and finest quality pics especially the macro ones. I will be going to Ooty in jan hope it is as beautiful then.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2008, 04:58   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Great snaps. Nice to see Ooty again atleast through snaps. Practically lived there some years back.

Looks like the road to Dolphin's Nose and Lamb Rock is in good condition these days. It used to be really bad sometime back. Are they concrete roads now? If so good, coz it can often pour like anything in that area during the monsoons.
Thank You csentil. The roads towards Dolphin's Nose and Lamb Rock and in very good condition. Previous year the road was in terrible shape. The roads area mixture of concrete, tarred and cobbled stones for some stretches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Awesome trip, and finest quality pics especially the macro ones. I will be going to Ooty in jan hope it is as beautiful then.
Thank You throttleking. IMO Ooty is beautiful throughout the year. But most beautiful in the cold months.

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 9th December 2008 at 05:03.
Old 9th December 2008, 12:11   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dreamdiesel,

Absolutley no problem for the verna , the only worry would be the 10 km approx strech between Gundulpet and Bandiour in case you are taking that roue or else the verna is a perfect mile muncher for this trip ! the kalahatty hairpins are easily done with the verna ...
Old 9th December 2008, 12:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Avi.,
I am planning for Bangalore . Stay at my cousin house (Bhennergatta) for 1 or 2 days. From there to Mysore and to Ooty. Nice to hear you have a good time there .
As of now this is plan .

OT: Avi, Once again you had a Blast cheers: @ meet. Mail follows

One suggestion from me here for your time being spent at ooty would be to employ a guide , he would know all the places and the routes , otherwise for the first timer its quite confusing , and for visiting some places you need clearances from the Forest Dept , these guides would also get these done for your , of course a fee is involved here ...

Also try to spend a night at Masinagudi, i have some contacts here at a resort .The night safari's ( which incidently are illegal in the true sense, but perfectly safe for the tourist ) are something to experience .