Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th December 2008, 15:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Bangalore - Pune - Bangalore - Bullet ride

Hi all,

We two Bulleteers, Dwarak -500 CI and Badari Garani - 500 Machismo planned to ride from Bangalore to Pune and back as part of our visit to Shirdi from 25th December to 27th December 2008. Also, Hrag, MJyothi, Khan-Sultan in Hrag's Tata Safari started at same time from Bangalore to join H V Kumar at Thane and Ramky at Ahmedabad. They had 6 day round about trip on GQ. While writing this travelogue, they are past bhuvaneshwar travelling down south. They are only 6 hours behind schedule.

25th Dec Departure from Bangalore - Jayanagar 5.00 a.m. Rode inside the city to join NH 4 at Yeshwanthpur, then to Nelamangala. We stopped at Expressway Toll after Nelamangala on Bangalore Pune NH 4 for a hot tea. Speed maintained between 90- 100 kmph.

Rode on From Toll till Ranebennur to savour our breakfast - Davanagere Benne Dosa (butter dosa, a speciality of Davanagere). With 30 minutes break, we rode on with some pee breaks till Dhwarwad. From Davanagere the road seemed to be little out of place till Haveri. Mean bad stretch of NH4. we met one of our bullet friend Sri Harsha at 1.30 p.m at Dharwad bypass. At 2.30 pm, we again set off after bidding farewell to Sri Harsha, man who owns 4 RD 350s and a bullet 350 cc.

Next stop being Kolhapur , McDonald outlet on bypass at 7 p.m. Dark sets in and traffic seemed increased dramatically. Our speed reduced to between 80 - 90 kmph by truckers, tractor trailers carrying sugar cane and offcourse by local two wheelers. They posed challenge to us by overtaking us and trying to induce us into racing with them. We had hard time convincing them that we are not in race, but behind schedule by our action. Kept pace. Reached outskirts of Pune by 10.45 p.m. and reaching our hotel room - Ginger on old pune -bombay highway took another 45 minutes.

Distance covered for the day - 902 kms in 18 hours, with atleast 2.50 hours of breaks.

We retired to bed at 12.30 a.m. and woke up at 7.30 a.m. on 26th Dec., to get ready to ride to Shirdi. Just then, our Badari Garani suggested we travel by taxi to have some rest on way. Whole day was to us for travel and sleep. Driver was a kid of 20 years age and was swift on road. However, we felt he is too fast and rash initially. We found that all taxi drivers are same and rest our lives in him to reach pune safely. He proved to be a good driver.

After 3 hours of waiting in que , we had dharshan of Shirdi Baba at 5.30 p.m. and started our journey back to pune. reached Pune by 10.45 p.m. Retired to rest only to wake up at 4 a.m. next morning for return ride.

Departed Pune at 5.30 a.m., but were bogged down by fuel coming in reserve for me. We rode on up the mountains past tunnel with no petrol bunk in sight, 35 kms. With One and a Quarter litre in reserve, we rode to find next bunk. Wondered how come there aren't petrol stations on the way. This became concern even half way on NH 4.

First break was 30 kms before Kolhapur for vada paav and garam chai 45 minutes gone by this break. next break was before 10 kms from Belgaum of about 30 minutes. With 10 minutes of breaks in 5 spots, we reached Kamath Hotel after Tumkur Toll for hot coffee at 11 p.m., which Badari insisted we will have. 45 minutes went past talking to some travellers enquiring our ride and bike, and so on. Finally our ride came to end in bangalore , home at 1.30 a.m. on 28th Dec.

Total distance covered - 914 kms in 20 hrs and approximately 3.30 hrs of breaks.

Observations: Entry and exit out of Peenya Industrial Area in Bangalore is pathetic. All road dug and being widened, underpasses and flyovers coming up. This place will take nearly 45 minutes to pass through, even in wee hours.

Ranebennur to Haveri , road is bad and full of diversions. Pot holes on highway puts one in danger during night drives.

Pune city, locals are truly unable to guide. This took toll of nearly 1 hour to go to hotel.

Insights:

* Long drives are joy on bullet, especially on 500 cc.
* As the engine get heated up, engine oils starts leaking from engine block through gasket. I had to top up engine oil of Half a litre after 1200 kms of ride.
Warm cloth for ride is a must and so are a good pair of riding gloves. Jacket of leather or cramster kind is a great comfort.
Saddle bag to distribute the weight of tools and cloths.
Carry atleast 3 litres of drinking water.
Free yourself of carrying backpack/ruck sack tied to back.
Wear shoes, preferably sneakers or Hunter shoes. Shin guard to safeguard knees.

We have taken very less of photographs and will be posted shortly.

Dwarak
dwaraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:10   #2
BHPian

bravo !!! so sir what was the max speeds u guys touched?
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
bravo !!! so sir what was the max speeds u guys touched?

I touched 125 kmph speed between kolhapur and Belgaum for about 10 minutes

Badari touched 135 kmph speed same stretch for about 5 minutes.

Later we reduced to 100 kmph speed

both bikes stood rock solid on road at these high speeds. We had fear on controls rather.

Dwarak
Old 29th December 2008, 16:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

good going am sure you guys would have had lots of fun

do post some pics....

hmmm long time since i did a long ride
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 16:39   #5
BHPian

Thats a great ride and in time limits, next month i am riding to Ooty from pune for rider Mania (24th-25th) on my Machismo 500. Apparently all the riders from pune and mumbai are starting on 21st that 3 days well before the RM. However i will have plan this ride in 2 days. so thought of covering Bangalore in one. Distance seem to be reachable for as i have done 800kms approx. in 14 hours with breaks of about 2.5 hours.

Can you suggest some decent place just before B'lore for night halt? or should i stay in b'lore itself.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 17:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Thats a great ride and in time limits, next month i am riding to Ooty from pune for rider Mania (24th-25th) on my Machismo 500. Apparently all the riders from pune and mumbai are starting on 21st that 3 days well before the RM. However i will have plan this ride in 2 days. so thought of covering Bangalore in one. Distance seem to be reachable for as i have done 800kms approx. in 14 hours with breaks of about 2.5 hours.

Can you suggest some decent place just before B'lore for night halt? or should i stay in b'lore itself.

Hi,

You can plan halt at Tumkur town for night and take on Tumkur-Kunigal route ( 40 Kms) to cut across Bangalore-Mangalore Highway NH 47 , go to Maddur and join Bangalore - Mysore road( apprx 40 kms ). From Maddur , directly to Mysore and exit into Ooty road.

Your plan of doing this whole trip in 2 days is possible.

Have fun.

Dwarak
Old 29th December 2008, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Hi,

You can plan halt at Tumkur town for night and take on Tumkur-Kunigal route ( 40 Kms) to cut across Bangalore-Mangalore Highway NH 47 , go to Maddur and join Bangalore - Mysore road( apprx 40 kms ). From Maddur , directly to Mysore and exit into Ooty road.

Your plan of doing this whole trip in 2 days is possible.

Have fun.

Dwarak

Thanks for the info dwaraka, but does it mean that i dont need to get into b'lore city at all? if so, that will be great for me.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 17:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

absolutely.

Dwarak
Old 29th December 2008, 17:20   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Should be very difficult doing from Bangalore to Shirdi and back in 2 wheeler in this kind of weather and touching 125 kph on a 2 wheeler is a rear experience. Will wait for your pics...
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 17:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
* Long drives are joy on bullet, especially on 500 cc.
* As the engine get heated up, engine oils starts leaking from engine block through gasket. I had to top up engine oil of Half a litre after 1200 kms of ride.
1) ofcourse.but 500cc got a piston which is radical in design which is not a good thing to do beaters for long time.
2) gasket leak - I had this problem in electra 4S 350cc. the two parts the head and cylinder block top ends are "faced"/polished to the maximum precision.now ,with a single copper gasket ,no oil leaks ,even if I rip.
the negative point is knocking will increase and you have to re-tune carb accordingly.

and 500CC is not a recommended tourer(IMO) ,the engine design itself is flawed.-this is with respect to cast iron 500cc.
--
clutch cable ,accelerator cable are a must carry for long distance rides.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 17:39   #11
BHPian

Hey Dwaraka,

That was neat trip sir..

Thanks fir sharing

Vijay
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 18:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
1) ofcourse.but 500cc got a piston which is radical in design which is not a good thing to do beaters for long time.
2) gasket leak - I had this problem in electra 4S 350cc. the two parts the head and cylinder block top ends are "faced"/polished to the maximum precision.now ,with a single copper gasket ,no oil leaks ,even if I rip.
the negative point is knocking will increase and you have to re-tune carb accordingly.

and 500CC is not a recommended tourer(IMO) ,the engine design itself is flawed.-this is with respect to cast iron 500cc.
--
clutch cable ,accelerator cable are a must carry for long distance rides.
Deepclutch,

Thanks for sharing the fixing of oil leak from engine block. Will sit with my mechanic.

My 500 cc has done ladakh trip of 3300 kms of 16 days. Been regular on highways. Fortunately, haven't experienced breakdowns of any kind, excepting flat tyre.

Yes, tools and spares kit will have atleast 2 pairs of clutch, accelerator cables as backup.

Dwarak
Old 29th December 2008, 19:26   #13
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Dwaraka here, have done loads of long rides and never faced any breakdown and i know lots of them who have been riding a lot on these machines....

I think you are talking about the 535 engines not 500s....535s are not very stable engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Deepclutch,

Thanks for sharing the fixing of oil leak from engine block. Will sit with my mechanic.

My 500 cc has done ladakh trip of 3300 kms of 16 days. Been regular on highways. Fortunately, haven't experienced breakdowns of any kind, excepting flat tyre.

Yes, tools and spares kit will have atleast 2 pairs of clutch, accelerator cables as backup.

Dwarak
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 01:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In phoren(UK/USA) ,they ride 500cc avl/ci at constant 100kmph speed.this means the end of cylinder-piston at a premature 20000kms.they got performance kits to tackle this issues(read hitchcock motorcycles).
There is this "geared" oil pump for Cast Iron Engines available.I have seen it in ebay.If possible get one for your CI ,next time you do a engine work.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 01:42   #15
BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
In phoren(UK/USA) ,they ride 500cc avl/ci at constant 100kmph speed.this means the end of cylinder-piston at a premature 20000kms.they got performance kits to tackle this issues(read hitchcock motorcycles).
There is this "geared" oil pump for Cast Iron Engines available.I have seen it in ebay.If possible get one for your CI ,next time you do a engine work.

So glad to hear about the ride, methink its pretty much a saddlesore ride meriting an iron butt plate..... btw, is their by nechance a desi iron butt forum/association exists.....????
prits_moh is offline   Reply With Quote