Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 29th December 2008, 18:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!

Bangalore to Kodaikanal on a Karizma.

Total Kms: 912 (418 kms one way)
Date: 25th to 28th
Fuel: 28 Lts

Some teasers.......will post the complete log later.
Attached Thumbnails
Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00728.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00732.jpg  

motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2008, 22:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice teaser...Waiting for your actual travelogue...
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 00:24   #3
BHPian

So, you are back from the trip. Waiting for the trip log and more pictures.
ravi@64bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008, 12:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

Kodaikanal, a place that I had often dreamed of visiting would soon be my destination. That was my thinking about a month before that fateful weekend 25th to 28th Dec 2008. This was one trip that I was always dreaming of on my newly acquired Karizma. But nature had other plans as I went down with cold about 5 days before “THE” day, I was sure that the trip was not to be, resigning myself to a Christmas in front of the good ol TV.

They say when you are passionate about something and want it very badly, the whole universe joins together to make it come true. Same was my case as I was 99% better 2 days before the trip day. I had already services and made the necessary changes to the bike. Got myself a Saddle bag from Cramsters and was waiting with the prints of the route map.

The apprehension was always there before the start, the nervous butterflies. But that all vanished when the ride started. Let me list out the itinerary and things that was taken.

Itinerary
Day 1: Start Bangalore at 6:30 AM. Reach Kodaikanal by 3:30 PM.
Day 2: Roam around Kodaikanal and some shopping.
Day 3: Check out the various view points and falls around Kodaikanal.
Day 4: Start from Kodai at 7:30 AM. Reach Bangalore by 6:00PM

Route
Leg 1 – Bangalore – Hosur - Krishnagiri
Leg 2 – Krishnagiri – Dharmapuri – Thoppur
Leg 3 – Thoppur (Right) – Mettur – Bhavani
Leg 4 – Bhavani – Perunthurai – Kangayam
Leg 5 – Kangayam – Dharapuram – Palni
Leg 6 – Palni – Perumalmalai – Kodaikanal

Bike
Model: HH Karizma
Odo: 19000 kms
Year: 2006
Tyres: Front – Dunlop Zebra Y 2.75
Rear – IRC 110/90
Saddle Bag & Backpack

DAY 1: 25th Dec

Thought of sleeping off by 9:30 PM the previous night but that was not to be and was able to sleep only by 12:30 AM. Could not sleep much, woke up by 4:30AM. Both of us got ready and were warming up the bike by 6:15AM. Once that was done took a picture show below. The next stop was the ATM. All this set us back by 30 mins, so we had a brilliant late start of half an hour.

The morning was pretty chill in Bangalore, so could not speed up so much on Hosur road. But once we reach Hosur, we could speed a lot and were cruising at around 110-120. It was fun to let the Karizma stretch its legs. Reach the A2B eatery after Hosur, but to our shock found a huge bunch of people waiting to eat or even a Q for the loo. Decided not to waste time and started off towards Dharmapuri. Since NH 7 was still getting ready due to construction there was quite a few diversions. Crossing Dharmapuri was no problem, but the stomach started to grumble and we decided to reach Mettur (another 62 kms) to grab some food. However, A2B once again was site just before Thoppur. This was relatively empty and we spent a good 30mins filling our stomachs. The place is pretty good but service is pathetic to say the least. They have table service but with very less waiters around. For travelers I feel self service is the best option as everyone is in a hurry.

So breakfast set aside we went full speed towards Mettur, took some pics at the dam, water as usual was pretty less. The weather started to change here, as the hot sun started taking full effect in TN weather conditions. Reaching Bhavani was no problem as the SH are pretty good with tree covers. The roads are a little bumpy but when you are going at around 90-100 the bumps just fly below you without much feel.

After Bhavani it gets worse as you hit the NH-47. Now this NH is completely under construction and its full of dust and roads tend to suddenly end in big stones and pothole. So progress was pretty slow and tiring. We infact rested for sometime over here under a tree to replenish ourselves. From Perunthurai to Dharapuram was a breeze as the SH is a beautiful stretch of road. Dharapuram to reach Palni is a little pain as we had to ask for directions several times. You first need to take a left and the next right to enter into Dharapuram. Once in Dharapuram after the bustand you need to take a left and then at the next circle you need to take the right to hit the Palni road. Yep! That’s pretty confusing and maps don’t help you either.

Dharapuram to Palni I will say is the best stretch of road you can find in this whole route. Its covered with trees and the tarmac is newly laid without any hint of bumps or bad holes. (Pics below)

Palni is pilgrimage place to there was a good rush. Decided to have lunch as it was already 2:30PM. Yes we were terribly behind schedule. Or rather I should say I was pretty optimistic and unrealistic with the calculated schedules when planning for this trip.

After Palni the ghats start and the route is a small two lane road. The roads are in pretty good condition though, so negotiating the hairpins and curves are not difficult. The main problem is the oncoming traffic that does not blow the horn to let you know they are rounding a curve and taking the same line as you are. Quite a few times I had to deviate from my line to the side of the road after committing on the turn as there was no honk from the other side. I guess that’s pretty common everywhere as common sense is not so prevalent among common people.

Reaching Perumalmalai was pretty scary for me as it was getting dark fast and mist was pulling in with the added chillness of the cold. We still had to cover a good 17kms. I say good 17kms because in hills 17kms can be equivalent to 27kms in plains with 4-5 hairpin turns put in for good measure.

Finally reached Kodai and stopped near the Silver Cascade Falls (came to know the name later). Stopped for a few pics and had a lot of surprising looks from people over there. Infact faced a comment from one moron, which goes like this. “Oh! Karizmaaaa. Looks at these people coming all the way from Karnataka to Kodai. Must be really in love with this place, but how shameless they don’t give us water.” This was said in Tamil so I didn’t understand him but wifey did and she was fuming. But I thought instead of getting involved in a argument we should get going as we have some more kms to reach the guest house.

Finally reached the IIAP, guest house, or better known in Kodai as Observatory Guest house at 5:30PM. It’s a lovely place out of the city humdrum and you can have a peaceful relaxing vacation over here. It did look spooky at first with the large foliage but the rooms are cosy and warm. So we reach Kodai on a Karizma after 419 kms in under 11hours. I guess that’s pretty good pace considering the last 65kms took 2 hours.
Old 30th December 2008, 16:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice write up. Waiting for the pics to flow. Do post them. I have seen Kodai around 10 years back and hope it would have changed by this time (IMO, its should be a sea change).

Good that you did not argue...there is a saying in English "Be like a Roman when you are in Rome".
Old 30th December 2008, 21:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Here are the pics from Day 1
Attached Thumbnails
Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00726.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00727.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00728.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00730.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00731.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00735.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00738.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00744.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00750.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00751.jpg  

Old 30th December 2008, 23:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics...keep them coming.
Old 31st December 2008, 12:11   #8
Senior - BHPian

Default The Final Logs of the Trip

Day 2: 26th Dec

The next day started in a lazy fashion. No alarm clocks to wake you up after a long long time. Had a nice breakfast and decided to get back to the city and shop around. Yep! Shopping! when your better half with you this spree will always be on the agenda. After some shopping we went for a round of horse riding and boating around the Kodai lake and a walk on the Coackers Walk. It seems this is a manmade lake built by the District Collector of Madhurai, who like the place and settled in Kodai after retirement.

After the boating exercise went back to the Guest House to have lunch and later decided to roam around the campus itself. It’s a huge campus covering some 140 acres of land. Most of this is covered by Pine trees. The observatory is located inside the campus at the highest point of Kodai.

Day 3: 27th Dec

The third day in Kodai was spent going to all the view points surrounding Kodai. Took the Observatory Road that gets linked to Golf Links road. The points that one can view are the Moer Point, Silent Valley, Pillar Rocks, Green Valley View. Most of these places were crowded except for Moer Point where you can trek down to the edge of the cliff and the view from there is just breath taking. Wound up the day with soup near the fire place and some TV at night.

Day 4: 28th Dec

Today was the time to leave the serene Kodai settings to the hustle bustle of Bangalore. Decided to start off by 7:30AM but as usual got late and could start only by 8:00AM. It took nearly 2 hours again for the downhill. Was not taking any chances and going slow through all the turns.

After the downhill ghat its all SH & NH all the way to Bangalore. Entered Bangalore at 6:00PM and came home by 6:40PM.

It was a wonderfull trip and a memorable one. Now got the confidence of doing any long trip solo. Next trip planned or in my mind is Bangalore to Leh. Yeah that’s the big one.

Pics are provided below…..
Attached Thumbnails
Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00759.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00763.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00764.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00766.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00767.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00769.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00776.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00782.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00784.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00786.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00796.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00799.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00809.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00810.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00815.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00821.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00831.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00838.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00843.jpg  

Kodaikanal Konquered on Karizma!!-dsc00845.jpg  

Old 31st December 2008, 23:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good naration and nice pics. Are you planning to do Bangalore to Leh on bike by any chance?
Old 1st January 2009, 11:51   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Great trip. Was looking out for info on kodai, and lo you have done it.

Nice pictures and details.

I am planning to be there in Feb.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Great trip. Was looking out for info on kodai, and lo you have done it.

Nice pictures and details.

I am planning to be there in Feb.
Feb would be a good time to go as the cold be little less and people will also be lesser. The main season starts from April end till May end.
Old 1st January 2009, 13:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

@motomaverick: Good travellogue.

BTW, The Palani to Kodai must be ghat roads right?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 15:16   #13
BHPian

Great trip, with some good pics mate

Are you planning to ride through out from blore to leh - on your bike?
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 02:45   #14
BHPian

Great trip. Was at kodai at the same time, and driven from Bangalore in Safari. Would have been good to meet you
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 10:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
@motomaverick: Good travellogue.

BTW, The Palani to Kodai must be ghat roads right?
Yes Palni to Kodai are ghat roads, but these are pretty well maintained roads so no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Great trip, with some good pics mate

Are you planning to ride through out from blore to leh - on your bike?
Yeah thats the big one in mind but no plans as yet. Waiting for a coleague to buy a bullet Then it will be a karizma & bullet to Leh

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
Great trip. Was at kodai at the same time, and driven from Bangalore in Safari. Would have been good to meet you
Oh! it would have been good to meet up but I guess my travel plans were not posted here before the trip

Thanks all for the compliments....its great to know you liked the travelouge