Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd January 2009, 12:45   #151
BHPian

5 crazy guys and 6000 Km in 6 days (that too in India) . I can understand that you were travelling/driving in a very much disciplane manner and this was on the only key to your success. I wonder why those 2 drives did not allowed to drive anybody else (perhaps they wanted it in the later hrs but until than the other 3 were not in condition to do so.. ).

Well done guys, hats off...

Manoj, and it was me, the poor chap, who was making such a lazy travel plan for you. 6 days just to visit Rajasthan . I can not forgive myself .

PS : Very nice write ups, I could not go away from my computer unless I completed it.

Last edited by DesertKing : 3rd January 2009 at 12:47.
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 14:33   #152
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Hai People,

Sorry for joining late into the party; I had practically deserted 3 official projects to jump into the GQ drive; now they demand 24 hour attention for me to keep my job....

MJ, you deserve the "reporter" tag, a wonderful job of photo-capture, compilationa and narration..... 3 cheers. Will post some photos tomrrow when I get some time.

Would like to give my view of the GQ run, the perspective and some details:

The whole run was a masterpiece of planning and execution. Components like, Knowing the traffic / road conditions, starting early in the morning, closing the day when situation demands, limiting breaks, having enough food on board to limit break times, drinking large amounts of balanced liquids (not the alcoholic ones), knowing the car you are driving and pushing the cars / people through safe limits of endurance and speeds and HVK co-ordinating, leading and directing are the critical points that made this run finish on time and without mishaps. As I was riding shot-gun alternating between both cars, I can give some points of interest........

1.Reliability of Car: For doing high-speed runs (cruising speeds were around 100+, sections of runway-finish tarmac on lonely sections invited 130+ speeds ) the vehicles need to be in top condition. Reliability is critical; brakes, lights, horns need to be in place and working; it would be dangerous to be down on UP, Bihar, Jharkhand stretches.

2. Restraint: Both cars were good for the run and some more and could have done speeds; drivers cut it on time, speeded only when there were clear stretches and overtook only when there were clear space on left and right though the demand to speed was urgent to reach target distances. I saw caution, control and restraint and would like to compliment HVk and Rishi for taking us safe through the maze of kamikaze pedestrians and sundry traffic.

3. Understanding the limits: Rishi, it took phenomenal courage to admit you were tired and make us stop after Viajyawada; pushing that extra 100 /200 kms that day would have been a mistake. Though we were behind schedule by 6 hours and 400 /500 kms, that one stop and starting @ 3 am ensured we covered 1000/ km to Bangalore the next day. Having the maturiy to do this is rare and being flexible on your schedule when needed is as important as chasing daily target.

4. Staring early in the morning: This is what HVK has been practicing and recommending and proved beyond doubt to be the singe most important factor to cover huge distances. Where we started early, around 3 am, the first 4/5 hours ensures you do 250 to 350 kms which contirbutes to the daily targed early on. Even if you do 700 kms for the next 12 hours that would ensure you do around 1000 kms a day. The first lap ensures you avaoid all the sundry traffic; zombies / monkeys / dogs / cows (even 4 legged mammals wake up slow and are seen only after 8 am ), small vehicles & maniacs who drive on the wrong side of the road. We saw all kinds; dogs that sit on the middle of roads unmoving (there was an argument between some of us that it was a
statue), people who just walk across, those who ponder the decision "to be or not to be" and then cross just when a 2 ton vehicle moving at 100+ km is 10 feet away!!!! Some jokers on two-wheelers come from side-roads, take a turn into the fast moving GQ to realize suddenly something huge is rushing at them and stop dead on the road, all that you can do is to goad the beast thro the left or right and hope hot to hit them for a sixer and pray. Then there are those who lumbering trucks which decide to overtake just when you are about to over him making you slam on the brakes or become a sand-witch between the truck and the devider. Early in the morning the whole world is anesthetised while you cam roamp free; we did not even see any ghosts, GQ is berefit of them.

5. Team work: When on a ride, the driver needs to be free to concentrate on driving and not be worried about keeping logs, taking care of tolls / payments, cheking equipments etc., This ride was possible because all passengers did their fare share of helping out the drivers and were flexible to the demands of the situation. I have heard of drives like this breaking up because roles were not assigned, people were not flexible enought to serve the objectives of the ride.

6. Health: It would have been impossible if the riders and co-passengers were not reasonably fit, specially the drivers. A high-grade ride like this can't be done with low energy levels and commitment. Early on in the ride the excitement carries you through; after a day, the demands of getting up early, sleeping late, being on the move continously and watching / driving endless tunnel of onrushing tarmac and the sound of the engine roar can get to you. The demands on the drivers are unbelievable; need to be concentrated, need to keep up high-speeds and need to keep safety-on at all times.

7. Support on the way: The TBHP meets on the way made it very special; meeting many active contributors was very motivaitng, the coffee/ sandwitches by Deky and Rishi's Sister were special, constant mobile contact throughout was reassuring, a support group gives a +1 edge on the ride.

8. Food and Drinks: The lesser stops for food, the more miles you cover, 1 hr stop means about 70 kms down. Best to stok up on fruits, biscuits, eatables and lots of water. Ideal if you can tank up from home on a big jerry can like HVK had done on a 20 ltr can which lasted us for the whole trip. When on a trip with family we use only packaged/ mineral water and won't risk any other choice; a wrong choice of water anywhere on the way can be disasterous. When we did a Mount Abu trip, my son had a severe gastric infection, he was the only one who drank the hotel water during lunch; we had to cut the whole holiday short to give him medical care.

9. Roles: If you are a passionate driver, it would be difficult / frustrating / irritating or impossible for you to sit as co-passenger; this was the most difficult for me while HVK / Rishi did most of the riding; I got to drive the scorp betwee Delhi and Agra, it would avoid frustrations to have this settled before the event. My joining in was to enjoy the ride, experience GQ for what it is first hand and do recce on the Delhi-Calcutta-Vijayawada-Chennai Stretch for a family drive some time later; I was OK with a passive role.

--Ramky
====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 3rd January 2009 at 14:49.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 15:46   #153
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
I wonder why those 2 drives did not allowed to drive anybody else (perhaps they wanted it in the later hrs but until than the other 3 were not in condition to do so.. ).
Very far from it. Peprsonally, I would have loved to dirve at any time of the day.... did a short spell between Delhi and Agra.

Just imagine the drivers well set into the drive and enjoying it; handing over would be the most difficult thing to do. It was a team effort, the drivers were doing an excellent job; even late into the day and raring to do more, there was no point upseting the rhythm of the ride when things were going so smoothly, the objective of the ride was more important than individual preferences.

======
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 16:36   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertKing View Post
Manoj, and it was me, the poor chap, who was making such a lazy travel plan for you. 6 days just to visit Rajasthan . I can not forgive myself .
Guess you meant Mahesh Right?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 17:20   #155
Team-BHP Support

Awesome stuff guys! Saw this thread now after I returned from vacation - and man - I'll miss my gym if I dont stop reading this now!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 18:23   #156
Senior - BHPian

Whole Saturday passed but there is no log for day 4? I am waiting eagerly for day 4 log.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 20:00   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Whole Saturday passed but there is no log for day 4? I am waiting eagerly for day 4 log.
Have been checking from the morning and only update was from Ramkya! :(

But then, these guys also have a family with whom they need to spend time with!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 21:14   #158
BHPian

Absolutely awesome drive you guys have had! Your endurance, particularly, that of HVK and HRAG is unbelievable.

@MJ: Lovely narration and pics and KS for some additional masala.

@Ramky: Your notes are on the spot. But please tell me - When HRAG admitted that he was tired and made the stop after Vijayawada, couldn't you (an experienced long distance driver) take over the wheel and saved the time?

@Dr. Kumar: As usual, your dedication, planning, discipline and detailing are just astonishing.

Eagerly awaiting for more to come...
-GT- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 10:04   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
@Ramky: Your notes are on the spot. But please tell me - When HRAG admitted that he was tired and made the stop after Vijayawada, couldn't you (an experienced long distance driver) take over the wheel and saved the time?
Guess thats exactly what Ramky had explained in his post. Why other drivers DID NOT drive during the GQ. Excellent control.

For a driveaholic like me, I would not mind driving all along, but cant sit with someone else at the wheel. Guess most Tbhpians are like that. Ramky, excellent post!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 10:10   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
8. Food and Drinks: The lesser stops for food, the more miles you cover, 1 hr stop means about 70 kms down. Best to stok up on fruits, biscuits, eatables and lots of water. Ideal if you can tank up from home on a big jerry can like HVK had done on a 20 ltr can which lasted us for the whole trip. When on a trip with family we use only packaged/ mineral water and won't risk any other choice; a wrong choice of water anywhere on the way can be disasterous. When we did a Mount Abu trip, my son had a severe gastric infection, he was the only one who drank the hotel water during lunch; we had to cut the whole holiday short to give him medical care.
This is why I make it a point whenever I go out with my family, I ensure that I take 5 ltrs of water can (home filtered) & some snacks along with me to all my drives. It saves lot of problems which may be associated with drinking of water or eating everywhere and also some money.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 10:34   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...For a driveaholic like me, I would not mind driving all along, but cant sit with someone else at the wheel. Guess most Tbhpians are like that...
I would rather be on the driving seat than let someone else drive during long drives. But there are certain exception to this, a very selected few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
...I ensure that I take 5 ltrs of water can (home filtered) & some snacks along with me to all my drives. It saves lot of problems which may be associated with drinking of water or eating everywhere and also some money.
The best thing to do when going on a long drive. The amount of time that one losses for order, eating and starting back on the drive is too much percentage of the total driving time!
Old 4th January 2009, 11:16   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Guess you meant Mahesh Right?
Sorry.. Mahesh. Thank god that you did not followed my travel plan, otherwise during our meet, you would have killed me .
DesertKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 11:33   #163
Team-BHP Support

As mjothi is not starting the day 4 update,and I don't have pictures of day 4 in my camera, I will share some other pictures and experiences from the previous days.

One 'perk' of riding shotgun on such a long distance is that you get to observe everything on the road and the most visible & obvious objects on the NH's are the trucks. They come in all shapes/sizes and almost have 'graffiti' painted on their back sides. It's fun to read all such graffiti. I must have read some 1L + graffiti in the 6 days.

Here's are some of the top most used graffiti ALL over India.
  • Mera Bharat Mahan
  • Horn OK, Sound Horn, Horn Please, Awaaz Do
  • Use Dipper at Night
  • Maa ka Ashirwaad
  • Buri nazar wale tera muh kala
  • Jagah mile per side di jayegi
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_0679.jpg

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_0692.jpg

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-collage.jpg

Also, almost always the extra long trailers (especially the open ones) seem to be NL reg ones. Don't know what the scene is? I wonder if we have roads that can even get these extra long trailers to even take turns on the hilly climbs up there?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 11:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

These trailers are the best entertainment when on road (and when you have the situation to read these writings). Apart from the writing it is the decorations some of these carry.

Noticed that most North Indian trucks are more decorated than their Southern cousins.
Old 4th January 2009, 11:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

es threadpe achanak itni shanti kyo hai bhai?

@khansaab-- one of the trucks states that " love is sweet poison"--
very true and almost everyone taste it again and again.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 4th January 2009 at 11:56.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote