Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th January 2009, 10:05   #271
Senior - BHPian

My version of Day 5.......

Being 6 hours late the previous night, we were now worried about keeping to the time schedule of 6 Days. So, there was some sense of urgency as we bundled off on the morning on 29th from the Calcutta bypass.

Plant-Rocker had warned us about the hold-ups in the Kolaghat bridge (one side is being repaired), but luckily we wriggled through in the early morning hour without too much of damage.

The Kona Expressway on NH6 to Kharagpur is a delight to drive on, and we covered the first 100 kms to Kharagpur in 90 minutes, after the small 5-minute delay at Kolaghat.

Poor signages at the flyover intersection - to go on the GQ NH60 - meant the small mistake which mjothi has mentioned. Please watch out all - there is no clear signage at this junction. Remember that you will keep Kharagpur town on your right as you bypass it totally.

The approach to Orissa is simply spectacular and we floored the metal, both of us speeding at obscene speeds on the road to Dantan, which is the WB-Orissa border. There are absolutely no facilities, excpt for a few random petrol pumps.

For those who are not in the know, please note that at Kharagpur, we have left NH6 and taken NH60 which will reach us to Baleshwar/ Balasore where we join the NH5 which is the highway all the way to Madras.

The moment we reached NH5 at Balasore, we were reminded of the massive damage the recent rains wrought in Orissa. Several bridges were damaged, necessitating turn-offs. The Double Road was either incomplete or closed down. We tumbled along on some bad roads near Soro town. But roads came to their normal good self after we crossed Bhadrak.

A minor competition with a JH Swift Dzire did not leave pleasant memories - one of the overtaking manoueveres resulted in what could have been a nasty accident, which the Scorpio barely scraped through busting its LHS rear view mirror. One of those lucky days, I guess. Points again to the stupidity of rash speed driving. Totally regrettable chapter that!

The passage between Cuttack and Bhubaneswar is very congested, but the 3 bridges across the River Mahanadi (the longest being 2.5 kms long) compensate for the frustration of driving with 2-wheelers and 3-wheelers jostling alongside.

Yes, we stopped to have lunch in Bhubaneswar town. Surprisingly, the road through Bhubaneswar does not have a single good eatery.

South of Bhubaneswar, approaching Balugaon, the double road ended, and was replaced by a good 2-lane highway. Looks like the contractor in this stretch is absconding. For the next 70- kms or so, we had to go on conventional 2-lane road, this must be the single longest stretch of the GQ that is incomplete. But there is hardly any traffic and the drive was smooth.

As you cross Balugaon town, you can see the sea of the Chilka Lake to your left - it is also a bit hilly in these parts - and the temptation of seeing the West bank perimeter of the Chilka Lake took us to the OTDC Panth Nivas Resort after Balugaon town (just 1 km inside the highway).

Behrampur - on the Orissa-AP border - had the same incomplete road problems, and till we covered the 30 kms into AP, we had to travel on 2-lane roads again. The last mile into AP was dreadful, some of the pot holes and craters being lunar-sized. Watch out for this bad stertch when you are next on this road.

AP was the 12th State of the trip, and the roads are indeed one of the best in the GQ.

For those reaching Vizag, you have 3 options - One, take the beautiful sea route via Bhimunipatnam and Rushikonda Beach, Two, take the Vizag bypass direct to Anakapalli (watch out for the sign boards pointing to Anakapalli, it is not marked as the bypass) - not much of distance saving though, and Three, take the straight road through town. We went on the last, hoping to find a decent place to eat. Our original destination for that day was Nellore, but that had been revised in the morning to Rajahmundry. It was 8 pm as we entered Vizag and Rajahmundry was still 200 kms away. One can have a fast ride but we were worried that we would get no places to stay and eat at 11-12 in the night. But then hrag said let us stop ASAP, so we decided to look out for some lodging in Vizag NH5. Surprise, surprise, we drove through at least 10-15 kms of urban sprawl, but we could get neither hotel nor reatuarant on the road - most were tucked away in the inner roads. So we kept going till we reached Anakapalli around 40 kms south of Vizag. After searching inside the small town, we were lucky to get a good hotel Vijay Residency (mjothi, that was not a APTDC hotel).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 10:17   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
May be our HVK will be able to give precise info, because he is consultant for truck driver too.

Man, imagine this. You stop at the Marathahalli bridge, bangalore and enjoy the excitment of completing the circle @ 11:45 night.

A truck comes and stops behind your vehicle, guy drops out from there.

Heads straight to HVK and asks

"Saab, NH4 kaise jana hai?"

Thats the power of HVK, these truck guys smell him somehow whereever he is!
Well, for a couple of truck drivers, I indeed am a call centre! One of my regulars went down the Khandala gorge in his trailer-truck, but survived, and says "Paaji, driver saala mar gaya" - apparently, he let the cleaner drive the truck, who died.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:37   #273
BHPian

Also, please let us know if the costs were managed well within the INR.15000/- per head as stipulated.
MuraliR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 10:40   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuraliR View Post
Also, please let us know if the costs were managed well within the INR.15000/- per head as stipulated.
Quick answer is Yes - but more on that later
Old 7th January 2009, 11:00   #275
Senior - BHPian

Congrats once again guys, I was offline from 29th onwards - what a treat to log back & see the trip report & pics!

Great meeting all of you & thanks for the little sms-es that HVK & Hrishi kept sending till you reached your final destinations.

I salute your spirit once again, gentlemen, well donecheers:
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 11:25   #276
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Congrats, hrag, how did you tolerate the sight of the Scorpio *** all these 6 days - that itself ranks as a big achievement. I am bored now of seeing all those photos with the Scorpio in the frame. Changing Moods in the Day of a Scorpio - that is what the captions should read!
Anna, you used a Garmin GPS unit which displayed a moving dot on a screen. My GPS was a large black moving square on the road (for most part of the journey).

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
He he he.. we did this non stop over 6 days.. just wait till that part of the story starts. It will be fun. enough data points for these 2 SUV's now -- driving 6k Kms over 6 days on same stretch side by side.
Yes, that part of the story will be extremely interesting. I will reserve all comments until my friends have voiced their opinions.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 12:44   #277
BANNED

2 different Mahindras side by side

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_06972.jpg
Old 7th January 2009, 13:17   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
2 different Mahindras side by side

Few years down the line, we can see the scorpio also in the same manner as per his counterpart.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 13:36   #279
BHPian

That's pretty interesting drive you guys planned and executed.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 13:41   #280
BANNED

Where's Day 6, mhappy?
Old 7th January 2009, 13:54   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
Few years down the line, we can see the scorpio also in the same manner as per his counterpart.
Comments reserved - I am sure other Scorpio guys will give a fitting reply to this, although this may not be the appropriate forum for such comments and responses. Maybe such a comment can be moved to a discussion on the Scorpio and not on the GQ Drive. Please restrict your comments to the matter under discussion.

All I can say is, I love my Scorpio, I know its capability and others are entitled to their own views. Any further comment would be odious
Old 7th January 2009, 14:00   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Comments reserved - I am sure other Scorpio guys will give a fitting reply to this, although this may not be the appropriate forum for such comments and responses. Maybe such a comment can be moved to a discussion on the Scorpio and not on the GQ Drive. Please restrict your comments to the matter under discussion.

All I can say is, I love my Scorpio, I know its capability and others are entitled to their own views. Any further comment would be odious
It is not meant for any person or the scorpio owners here in this forum and I feel it should not be taken in bad sense of humor.

Having said above, everybody loves there vehicle and if anyody tells bad about my make of vehicle, I do not feel bad about the same. I feel he is expressing his views and there ends the matter.

Last edited by snaronikar : 7th January 2009 at 14:07.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 14:05   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
It is not meant for any person or the scorpio owners here in this forum and I feel it should not be taken in bad sense of humor.

Having said above, everybody loves there vehicle.
i feel it is the fault of the person who posted such a pic(and also the caption) which could create controversy.

Last edited by siddartha : 7th January 2009 at 14:10.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 14:11   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Where's Day 6, mhappy?
yes, eagerly waiting for the same .

mjothi, where art thou?

Hope you will put up the D6 part soon, along with pics. You have a nice way of captioning the pics

In the meantime, may I request the other members of the GQ6D6K team to put up some of the other random pics from Day 1-Day 5, which might have been missed out? Thanks !
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2009, 14:25   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
i feel it is the fault of the person who posted such a pic(and also the caption) which could create controversy.
OK mate, lets drop it I think.

I don't see anything wrong with the picture or the caption by the way.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote