Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th January 2009, 21:30   #361
BHPian

Fantastic stuff guys
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:30   #362
Senior - BHPian

nd finally my solo account of the Bombayite's Day 6, to drive from Bangalore to Bombay:

Having had a fitful sleep for 3 hours - or was it 2 - both Ramky and I found to our un-delight that the geyser did not work in the bathroom, which saved us some time getting off, at 340 am, from Old Airport Road in Bangalore.

Bangalore-Bombay is a familiar drive for me, having done it several times, and I knew that even if I did not get to Bombay in my normal 12 hours, I could still make it early enough so that Ramky could catch his 950 pm night train back to Ahmedabad.

The drive was smooth, even the Yeshwantpur-Nelamangala road was uncluttered. We were revived out of whatever sleep we felt when we bought the 99 Rupee coffee at CD near Dobespet, not used to spending thus on coffees, both of us being oldgen guys!

The last 5 days had corrupted me totally, and I started hrag's ec-driving techniques, refraining from doing my normal high speeds - sticking to 120 kmph - as Ramky and I chatted about all the travails that torment teh global economy, the mysteries of trans-migration of peoples around teh world (including exotic stuff like the Genome Project), what the future holds for real estate and IT sector in India......

The BPCL Ghar at Ranebennur was our only halt - for breakfast - and we crossed over into Maharashtra at exactly noon. I am not dwelling on the route details, this having been discussed several times in this forum. Suffice to say, the NH4 is in its best shape for the last 8 years, the bad roads around Davangere and Ranebennur being made up, and the general conditions being good compared to what they were 2 months ago when I drove through last.

We took the NH4 all the way, turning off the Pune-Bombay expressway onto the so-called Bombay-Thane bypass via Kalamboli, Taloja, Shilphata, Mumbra and Kalwa to Thane. Avoid this road at all costs - it has some terirble patches after Shilphata.

Anyway, we were home in Bombay/Thane at 530 pm. And Ramky freshened up and went his way to catch his train to Ahmedabad.

And that was my story of the GQ DRive.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:36   #363
Team-BHP Support

Great . So now we can start of with the other parts of this travelogue.

Like:
  • Which is a better SUV for long distance cruising: Safari or Scorpio?
  • Can a convoy of say 10 cars do the GQ -- like we did?
Cheers,
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:40   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
MJ forgot to mention about the automatic dispensing machines for condoms - where are the photos, MJ? - which line the highways, presumably for the truckers. AIDS is a big message on the highways, most toll tickets have a AIDS message. But like I saw in a cartoon 2 decades ago, "Saar, but I can't read"
Here it is...
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6763.jpg

I forgot to upload this before - thinking about our Dirty Minded Proffesor and his inovative thinking
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 21:59   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Atlast MJ has finished the Journo, Snaronikar it is finished before the next Christmas
Alas, we are blessed that he has finished his jurno. But as he has mentioned, this discussions will go on till next christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ah, I guess I am done with the Day 6 reports.
Thanks Mjurno, Mhappy etc etc. You have finished your narration within next christmas. Kudos for this.

Quote:
for others and then the countdown can start for S vs S... You know what I meant!!!
Now what does this mean? Another chapter is starting now.

Last edited by snaronikar : 8th January 2009 at 22:04.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 22:45   #366
BANNED

Kumar anna, with lot of trial and error, I have found that 120 kph is the ideal speed for cruising on the highway, whether it is the Safari or the Indica.

The Safari's engine is ~ 2050 / 2100 rpm in 5th at that speed, just right for those bursts to overtake. The Indica's engine is just above peak torque rpm (3000) in 5th at that speed.

Even with sticking to this speed, one can still reach one's destination well in time. It is coincidence that 120 kph returns a good FE figure.

Last edited by hrag : 8th January 2009 at 22:46.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2009, 23:10   #367
BANNED

Tried to edit my previous post but time was up..

My personal best between Hebbal / Thiruvanmiyur is 4 hours 15 minutes including a 15 minute break at Motel Rosin. Never crossed 120 kph on that run. 4 pm start from Hebbal.

Back to the GQ drive:
Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Like:
  • Can a convoy of say 10 cars do the GQ -- like we did?
Cheers,
The better SUV - I will let the middle row folks speak.
Convoy - hmm, what do people think?

Last edited by hrag : 8th January 2009 at 23:13.
Old 9th January 2009, 00:23   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great . So now we can start of with the other parts of this travelogue.

Like:
Cheers,
Does the fact that you never sat in Scorp for the whole trip, answer that already?
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 08:00   #369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Does the fact that you never sat in Scorp for the whole trip, answer that already?
Well, I always found that people from scorpio were more eager to come over to the safari for 'some amount of relaxation' and not the other way round.

A sample conversation between MJ & Ramkay:

Ramkay: MJ, you should go and sit in the scorpio for some time now.
MJ: why, don't you like me or what?

so..

Cheers,

Last edited by khan_sultan : 9th January 2009 at 08:02.
Old 9th January 2009, 08:21   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

And please consider, with due respect, that both the vehicles under discussion are irrelevant as far as today's buyer is concerned

Its valid ONLY to compare the mHawk/CRDe with the 2.2, considering tsk's review
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 09:05   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Tried to edit my previous post but time was up..

My personal best between Hebbal / Thiruvanmiyur is 4 hours 15 minutes including a 15 minute break at Motel Rosin. Never crossed 120 kph on that run. 4 pm start from Hebbal.
What's the distance between these two places? Is the Tiruvanmiyur you talk about in Chennai?
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 09:18   #372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
hvkumar[/b] ] MJ forgot to mention about the automatic dispensing machines for condoms - where are the photos, MJ? - which line the highways, presumably for the truckers. AIDS is a big message on the highways, most toll tickets have a AIDS message.
Quote:
Here it is...

I forgot to upload this before...
Hey MJ, where is the picture that HVK took when you had asked HVK to stop for checking if these vending machines work or not? I think HVK did take a picture of you testing out these condom vending machines.

What say Hrag, Ramkay?

Cheers,
Old 9th January 2009, 10:04   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey MJ, where is the picture that HVK took when you had asked HVK to stop for checking if these vending machines work or not? I think HVK did take a picture of you testing out these condom vending machines.

What say Hrag, Ramkay?

Cheers,
I think he missed taking the pics.

Btw, did you tested the one which you grabbed from me Mr. Khan_Satan?

Wait a minute, was that the reason you vanished for sometime in the place HVK mentioned?

Anyway, I guess, you read the fine prints correctly (unlike the way you read this forum) and used it as it was suppose to be used
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 10:07   #374
Senior - BHPian

Oh God. All this time we thought the five muskateers were enjoying the GQ drive and burning rubber!! Now we know!!
Just jokin!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 10:32   #375
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
And please consider, with due respect, that both the vehicles under discussion are irrelevant as far as today's buyer is concerned

Its valid ONLY to compare the mHawk/CRDe with the 2.2, considering tsk's review
Who cares about the newgen vehicles man? They are good only for going to the mall in the same city / town. The oldgens will take you to the malls across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
What's the distance between these two places? Is the Tiruvanmiyur you talk about in Chennai?
~380 km door to door, Yes - Hebbal in Bangalore and Thiruvanmiyur in Madras.

Hey mmoods, you've become a proper trucker now, eh?