Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th January 2009, 10:38   #376
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.
In travelogue section, this thread has become second best in replies it got and third best in viewership.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:04   #377
Senior - BHPian

Safari
  • Comfort - no compromise. Especially the middle seat, its like a cradle. You will fall asleep the moment you are on good roads.
  • Pickup - like a Sodium watts bulb. No GUTS [get up to speed]. Take time to get to speed, but once there, it keeps going on & on.
  • FE - Do we really care!!!
Overall, you do have a safety feeling while sitting in the safari. May be due to the lengthier hood? Not sure.

Scorpio
  • Comfort - certainly next to Safari. Due to its lessor length than Safari I guess.
  • Pick up - Incandescent bulb. zooms, cuts, bumps, speeds what not.
  • Braking - Not sure if it was the person driving / Character of Vehicle
It is hard braking. No, I am mentioning those panic brakes, even under normal driving, whenever brake is applied, we are almost there to go outside the windshield
  • FE - he was happy seeing 12kmpl on Turbo jet.
It ran with one blind eye, for almost whole journey. And without left ear for 2 days i think.
Forgot, it ran in kerosene too
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:19   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
[[*]Braking - Not sure if it was the person driving / Character of Vehicle [/list]It is hard braking. No, I am mentioning those panic brakes, even under normal driving, whenever brake is applied, we are almost there to go outside the windshield
  • FE - he was happy seeing 12kmpl on Turbo jet.
It ran with one blind eye, for almost whole journey. And without left ear for 2 days i think.
Braking - entirely my driving style, that is the way I feel safe. Moreover, I discovered yesterday the reason for the more-than-normal braking that I did during the trip - a reluctant accelerator pedal. I had this problem throughout the trip that when I released the accelerator, the car kept going and braking seemed a bit ineffective, forcing me to slam it more often than not. I find that the accelerator seems to be retracting slower, and after rustonil-ing it today morning, I see some improvement.

Mileage - I am not an eco-driver, and don't wish to be. The best I get on my trips is 10 kmpl, which is the result of my constant high speeds, rocketing acceleration from pauses and simply overuse of brakes and gear shifts. But this trip, thanks to moderation by hrag (who is an obsessive eco-driver, and a good one at that), I got an overall mileage of 11.76, the best being 13.75 on one stretch, which is the lifetime best. Another thing also perhaps helped on the mileage front - I retained tyre pressure at 30 psi, unlike the normal 29 psi, and maybe that increased the mileage.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:23   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safari It ran with one blind eye, for almost whole journey. And without left ear for 2 days i think.
MJ is referring to the fused-out low-beam filament in my RHS headlamp and the fused-out parking lamp in my LHS headlamp.

And we did kerosene-adulterated fuel in some places - so we refrained from taking on too much of the bad stuff.
Old 9th January 2009, 11:28   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
MJ is referring to the fused-out low-beam filament in my RHS headlamp and the fused-out parking lamp in my LHS headlamp.

And we did kerosene-adulterated fuel in some places - so we refrained from taking on too much of the bad stuff.
RHS Eye --> Correct.
LHS Ear --> I meant the ORVM.

Quote:
...I got an overall mileage of 11.76, the best being 13.75 on one stretch, which is the lifetime best...
Is this lifetime best because of filling the adulterated fuel ?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 11:34   #381
BANNED

Quote:
But this trip, thanks to moderation by hrag (who is an obsessive eco-driver, and a good one at that), I got an overall mileage of 11.76, the best being 13.75 on one stretch, which is the lifetime best. Another thing also perhaps helped on the mileage front - I retained tyre pressure at 30 psi, unlike the normal 29 psi, and maybe that increased the mileage.
My overall mileage was 12.76 kpl with a best of 14.33 and a worst of 10.61 kpl. Tyre pressures were factory-recommended 32F / 35R.

Welcome to eco-driving at 120 kph
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 12:56   #382
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Amazing mileage !

Amazing mileage figures for such a run .

I guess choice of fuel stations also matters. Probably prior experience would have helped in choosing whether to stop at BP outlets or HP or IOC. Any inputs on this, GQ6D6K team?
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 13:03   #383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Amazing mileage figures for such a run .

I guess choice of fuel stations also matters. Probably prior experience would have helped in choosing whether to stop at BP outlets or HP or IOC. Any inputs on this, GQ6D6K team?
The FE figures are testimonial to the fact that we maintained sober speeds and at no point we touched speeds exceeding 130 kmph. hrag's perseverance with eco-driving is commendable.

We were particular about which fuel stations we refuelled at - preferring the ones like Club HP, Pure & Sure, etc, although that was no guarantee for fuel quality. We avoided all city pumps. MJ has not taken photos of me standing by the dispenser, smelling the fuel and saying "Cut" when we had suspicion that there was kerosene adulteration. We did run into some instances of adulteration, and our response to that was to take on just enough fuel to get us to next reliable pump - constant vigilance is important.
Old 9th January 2009, 13:05   #384
Senior - BHPian

Also await our report on fuel costs - where diesel is cheapest.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:03   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The FE figures are testimonial to the fact that we maintained sober speeds and at no point we touched speeds exceeding 130 kmph. hrag's perseverance with eco-driving is commendable.

We were particular about which fuel stations we refuelled at - preferring the ones like Club HP, Pure & Sure, etc, although that was no guarantee for fuel quality. We avoided all city pumps. MJ has not taken photos of me standing by the dispenser, smelling the fuel and saying "Cut" when we had suspicion that there was kerosene adulteration. We did run into some instances of adulteration, and our response to that was to take on just enough fuel to get us to next reliable pump - constant vigilance is important.
Sir, mostly they would not use Kerosene Instead they use Naptha a byproduct of Fuel. Kerosene would not come cheaper or barely cheaper comparing to Diesel. Naptha is way cheaper than kerosene.

However, trusting even HP pump is also not reliable. I 2 - 3 times I got adulterated petrol from HP Pumps too.

EDIT: I am sorry, You are correct. Naptha is for Petrol and Kerosene is for Diesel.

Last edited by anujmishra : 9th January 2009 at 14:06.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 14:08   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Sir, mostly they would not use Kerosene Instead they use Naptha a byproduct of Fuel. Kerosene would not come cheaper or barely cheaper comparing to Diesel. Naptha is way cheaper than kerosene.

However, trusting even HP pump is also not reliable. I 2 - 3 times I got adulterated petrol from HP Pumps too.

EDIT: I am sorry, You are correct. Naptha is for Petrol and Kerosene is for Diesel.
I am told that Naptha adulteration is common in the MH-GJ belt, Kerosene being more in other parts of India. I agree, Naptha adulteration is not possible to detect.
Old 9th January 2009, 14:13   #387
Senior - BHPian

MJ: Your comparision of Safari and Scorpio may not be OK with few people here. They will come heavily upon you be prepared.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:14   #388
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Safari
Comfort - no compromise. Especially the middle seat, its like a cradle. You will fall asleep the moment you are on good roads.
Pickup - like a Sodium watts bulb. No GUTS [get up to speed]. Take time to get to speed, but once there, it keeps going on & on.
FE - Do we really care!!!
Overall, you do have a safety feeling while sitting in the safari. May be due to the lengthier hood? Not sure.
Scorpio
Comfort - certainly next to Safari. Due to its lessor length than Safari I guess.
Pick up - Incandescent bulb. zooms, cuts, bumps, speeds what not.
Braking - Not sure if it was the person driving / Character of Vehicle
It is hard braking. No, I am mentioning those panic brakes, even under normal driving, whenever brake is applied, we are almost there to go outside the windshield
FE - he was happy seeing 12kmpl on Turbo jet.
The Safari middle seat was like "club classs", loved the selection of music hrag had and the overhead A/C a bliss. I did nod off to sleep a couple of times there, though a very light sleeper by habit, the strain of the ride broke my habit. The front seat is also very comfortable, acers of leg room, A/C vents better positioned and felt great.

MJ how could you sleep when so much excitement happening all around; dogs, Swifts, temples, soil samples and condom vending machines!!!

Even on hard revvs., safari I was in is slow revving engine anyway, it takes long time for the best to spool up to speed. Once it crosses 120, what a cruiser, it can go on and on and on at low RPM's. Hrg's "discourse" on Torque curve of the truck was an education, the engine does have its great point about cruising. IMO it takes a certain mind-set to be driving this beast.... emm, words like slow and steady, persistent, step-by-step, constant, unrelenting, determined etc., spring-up in my mind. Contentment would about sump up my experience there.

The Scorp: Wow... that's my kind of machine, I never got a chance to sit on the middle seat, was filled with food, water and what have you. I'm the driver seat kind of person, you can imagine the agony of sitting on the co-pa seat!!!! I am the brake pumping + gear braking kind, you'd rarely feel my braking, always pump a couple of time before pushing the pedal, found it to be smoother on the beast and occupant.

HVK...... man, does he use his brakes or does he. If he sensses the slightest threat his legs react by slamming it on, you go forward @ 90 kmph, the seat belt strangles your tummy, shoulder, jostle viceral organs and get slammed back into the seat the next instant!!!! MJ and me have seat-belt burn-bands on our body You have to be sedated to be sleeping there... wonder how MJ went to sleep, must have been when the scorp was waiting for the Safari.

Accelaration, josh, excitement, rush are words that baloon in my mind when I think of my travel in the scorp.... though I felt a little bit stressed. Was it the driving style, the truck or the driver, I can't say. Adventure would sum up my ride in the scorp.

For me to drive, the Scorp. anytime. For me to travel front-row / middle seat : The Safari.

=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th January 2009 at 15:16.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:24   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also await our report on fuel costs - where diesel is cheapest.
Well, I think it would have been Haryana but you guys were in a hurry to get out of Gurgaon
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:26   #390
Senior - BHPian

I think Rishi has a 3.0 Dicor engine which is less in power compared to much latest version in 2.2VTT Dicor. You also need to sit in 2.2VTT Dicor and compare then I feel it would be good comparision.

Yeah...comparision with the vehicles which went for GQ drive may be OK in this case.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote