Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th January 2009, 15:27   #391
BHPian

WoW! Lots of kind words being spoken about the Tata Safari.

Sounds pleasing to the ears.
MuraliR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:30   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Well, I think it would have been Haryana but you guys were in a hurry to get out of Gurgaon
I agree with you, Suman. You guys were telling us to tank up there in Gurgaon after the meeting, but we exited that place fast and finally tanked up at Badarpur/Delhi border.

By the way, how much does regular diesel and premium diesel cost in Gurgaon?

34.95 per litre - that was the cost of premium diesel at Badarpur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:36   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
By the way, how much does regular diesel and premium diesel cost in Gurgaon?
Haven't filled premium for a while so not sure - Regular is Rs 31.81 per litre
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 15:54   #394
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I think Rishi has a 3.0 Dicor engine which is less in power compared to much latest version in 2.2VTT Dicor. You also need to sit in 2.2VTT Dicor and compare then I feel it would be good comparision.

Yeah...comparision with the vehicles which went for GQ drive may be OK in this case.
So as not to have one of those " mine is better / bigger than yours" threads, I've used the world "the truck I travelled in" understanding well the the versions; it's not crde / mhwak scorp, its not the 2.2 Dicor etc..

Moreover the "impressions" ( key word - impressions ) were more on features of the vehicles and the GQ experience ( we don't want the mods do an "Edwards Scissorhands" here thinking this would veer off in another direction ).

Anyone with basic knwledge of cars knows the 2.2 engine is different from the 3 ?

----
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 16:19   #395
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to what Ramky said, my Scorpio is non-CRDE, 2.6 4-year old, 175,000 kms run.

This thread is not for comparison of different SUVs, suffice to mention what we 2 owners experienced and got out of our cars during the GQ Drive.
Old 9th January 2009, 16:38   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Just to add to what Ramky said, my Scorpio is non-CRDE, 2.6 4-year old, 175,000 kms run. Drive.
Great going sir,
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 18:03   #397
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

[quote=hvkumar;1123587]Just to add to what Ramky said, my Scorpio is non-CRDE, 2.6 4-year old, 175,000 kms run. [quote]

I found the engine, transmission condition of your truck pretty good even after 175 K kms, except small vibration in neutral. Frankly I expected some rattle, vibration etc., from such a heavily used vehicle. Just highlights how much care has gone into maintining it . Great Job.

It's important; for any car to do long distance, the engine / transmission and other vital parts need to in top order. One of the reasons why we did not have any break-downs / engine hiccups was the almost-mint condition of both your engines, very few vehicles are driven this hard continuously for days. Even the taxi guys take it easy to increase mileage, they can't dream of covering 1000 kms a day!!!!

-----

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th January 2009 at 18:14.
Old 9th January 2009, 19:10   #398
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Even on hard revvs., safari I was in is slow revving engine anyway, it takes long time for the best to spool up to speed. Once it crosses 120, what a cruiser, it can go on and on and on at low RPM's. Hrg's "discourse" on Torque curve of the truck was an education, the engine does have its great point about cruising. IMO it takes a certain mind-set to be driving this beast.... emm, words like slow and steady, persistent, step-by-step, constant, unrelenting, determined etc., spring-up in my mind. Contentment would about sump up my experience there.

For me to drive, the Scorp. anytime. For me to travel front-row / middle seat : The Safari.
After 5 days on and off in the Safari 3.0, Ramky said the above.

More than 3 years ago, Steeroid said the below:
(quoted the first point because it is relavant on a GQ drive - ABV's project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
1. Atal Behari Vajpayee budgeted about 66,000 CRORES to give us a few good "phoren-like" highways. For about Rs.10 Lakhs I've brought the roads of Dubai to wherever I drive in India - that pretty much sums up the ride quality review. This is the single most compelling reason to buy this supertanker.

Pothole? Whats a pothole?

2. This is the Volvo bus of passenger vehicles - the low-revving engine is a world apart from all the vehicles I've driven so far. I used to drive my cars with a Lead Foot, but I've realised this one responds much better to a gentle caress on the gas pedal. With the engine lolling around (I can almost imagine it with its feet up on a reclining chair, drink in hand) at about 2000 rpm, you lazily waft past cars that are revving frentically at 120 kmph. Its another world, dude...it wont win 0-100kmph drags, but once on the move it gathers speed so effortlessly that I'm sure it will change my outlook towards life in general. I'm much more relaxed on the highways.

4. The vehicle sings and vibrations disappear at >2000 rpm, but I've not been able to enjoy that sensation much since I'm holding back for a while. I've been keeping the engine within 2250 rpm, which isnt much fun because thats where the vibrations are and the power isnt. Post 2000 the engine makes EVERY single rpm count - the powerband isnt as narrow as you might think since it stays in that range for quite comfortably. You can rocket past traffic like you were driving a car - I did it just twice (took my feet off when rpm approached 3000) and it was fun.
This is what the 3.0 DiCOR is all about:

Cruising @ ~2100 rpm (Picture taken on Day 2)

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_0512.jpg

As kartikkumar said, you don't need a tacho. You can calculate the rpm yourself from the sound of the engine

From my view, the Scorpio pulled away cleanly after every halt, every braking stop. Revving it to redline in each gear was the only way to keep up with the Scorpio - even then the Scorpio was quick. Hats off to Kumar for his excellent maintenance. His vehicle was older than mine by 2 years and about 1,25,000 km.

Do I want a faster engine in the Safari? No.

Slow everything & everyone down on the road, including hvkumar

Last edited by hrag : 9th January 2009 at 19:14.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 19:56   #399
BANNED

Quote:
34.95 per litre - that was the cost of premium diesel at Badarpur.
32.86 for ordinary diesel at HP Badarpur.

Which brings me to another aspect of this trip - Kumar used premium fuel throughout while I was mostly content with ordinary diesel.

A very memorable conversation while refuelling in Orissa:

(conversation in Tamil - the pun is lost in translation)

Kumar - neenga saada diesel thaanaa? (Only ordinary diesel for you?)
Me - Naanga saadaarna manishanga saar (We are ordinary people saar)
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 20:03   #400
BHPian

ipaave kanna kattuthe!!!!!!!!!!!
ram.west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 20:35   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
This is what the 3.0 DiCOR is all about:

Cruising @ ~2100 rpm (Picture taken on Day 2)
Do I want a faster engine in the Safari? No.

Slow everything & everyone down on the road, including hvkumar
This, IMHO, is the best ownership statement I have read so far!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 14:45   #402
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
32.86 for ordinary diesel at HP Badarpur.

A very memorable conversation while refuelling in Orissa:

(conversation in Tamil - the pun is lost in translation)

Me - Naanga saadaarna manishanga saar (We are ordinary people saar)
I am happy this did not go like this:

Me - Naanga manishanga saar (We are people saar)

Meaning we are only mortals

-------------
Old 10th January 2009, 17:20   #403
Senior - BHPian

OK Mjurno, is this all for us? This thread is becoming silent as days are passing. I was expecting it to continue till next christmas.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2009, 18:24   #404
Senior - BHPian

Let me continue my earlier post on the incomplete sections in the GQ:

Calcutta-Madras

- No Double Road (under construction) for 40 kms between Baleshwar (Balasore) and Soro in Orissa, and also for next 10 kms road is sometimes incomplete and has bad roads

- South of Bhubaneswar, Balugaon has no bypass, and for the next 80 kms till after Ganjam, there are no Double Roads. In between, near Rambha, a major bridge is incomplete necessitating an unmarked turn off onto some small village roads

- In the Orissa-AP border, Double Road is incomplete, for around 15 kms till you cross AP's Ichchapuram town

- A small stretch of road near Annavaram town in AP, south of Vizag

- Madras Bypass is in a mess at Padi, where Flyover construction is in progress

- Poonamalle High Road on NH4 between Maduravoyal and Poonamalle is in a mess thanks to road widening and flyover construction

- Elevated Road is under construction from TN-Karnataka border after Hosur till Bangalore City

Bangalore-Bombay:

- Bangalore-Nelamangala NH4 is being widened, and in a mess

- Tumkur Bypass is incomplete

- Chitradurga Bypass is incomplete

- Sections from Chitradurga to Davangere are incomplete

- Davangere-Harihar bypass is incomplete in some sections

- Ranebennur bypass is incomplete, as is the entire stretch between Harihar and Ranebennur, which also has some rail overbridges under construction

- Bombay bypass - Kalamboli (NH4/NH17, Pune Expressway exit) to Thane (NH3/NH8) - is complete, but has some terrible road sections between Shilphata and Mumbra Bypass.

Last edited by hvkumar : 10th January 2009 at 18:31.
Old 10th January 2009, 18:28   #405
BHPian

Quote:
- Madras Bypass is in a mess at Avadi, where Flyover construction is in progress
Kumar Sir, Are you referring to the Padi junction where a flyover construction is on. AFAIK you didn't take the avadi route to reach Poonamalee.
Mission_Safari is offline   Reply With Quote