Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th January 2009, 10:12   #421
Senior - BHPian

*BUMP*

This thread should not remain inactive for so long !

GQ6D6K team , are you listening ?!

I am sure there must be some pics which you haven't uploaded, and there must be other anecdotes which can be told here.

Eagerly waiting !

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 13th January 2009 at 10:13.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 11:17   #422
BANNED

I'm sure mtrain has a lot of photos to upload.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:06   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Now for some statistics - Which State has the maximum GQ roads?

Here is the break-up:

1. MH Maharashtra - 543 kms
2. GJ Gujarat - 526 kms
10. OR Orissa - 462 kms
11. AP Andhra Pradesh - 1,073 kms
...12. TN Tamil Nadu - 381 kms

Not surprisingly, AP is the winner, followed by UP.
I happen to live in the state with the maximum share of GQ, but dammit, those GQ stretches are nowhere near Hyderabad for the present. I wish I had continued to live at Vizag

BTW, nice travelogue guys! I am getting enthused now!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:34   #424
Senior - BHPian

Good stuff guys. Congrats on an epic journey of sorts for T-bhp.
Waiting for the final details - log books etc to be shared.

The entire 28 pages gives a fair idea of the kind of temperament required to pull off such a superb trip. Its not for everyone and not everyone can enjoy it. Im sure this trip also gave each of the participants a fabulous opportunity to rediscover parts of their own personalities either unknown to them or fudged with time.

The knowledge, skills, planning and patience required to plan and pull off such an event to the dot furthur dignifies the 'distinguished' tag that HVK holds. Truly a priceless asset to this forum and all of us.

Also notably appreciable is the ability of hardcore self-drivers like Ramkya to take the passenger seat next to HVK. Again speaking of the temperament required.

The entire travelogue did give a feeling of taking us through the journey.
Thank you all for sharing this wonderful trip with us.
cheers:
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 12:50   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
...knowledge, skills, planning and patience required to plan and pull off such an event to the dot furthur dignifies the 'distinguished' tag that HVK holds. Truly a priceless asset to this forum and all of us...
+1 to that.

Even though the schedule was little here & there during some days, the plan drafted by HVK did had some sufficient buffer to cover all those.

And Start & end was perfect as planned.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 13:11   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I happen to live in the state with the maximum share of GQ, but dammit, those GQ stretches are nowhere near Hyderabad for the present. I wish I had continued to live at Vizag

BTW, nice travelogue guys! I am getting enthused now!
Hyderabad is part of the NS corridor, and NH7 is going to be a great drive soon!!!!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:22   #427
BHPian

GQ GUYS,
What about expenses ?
How much did it cost per guy ?
How much for fuel, accomodation, food, break up please
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2009, 16:29   #428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
GQ GUYS,
What about expenses ?
How much did it cost per guy ?
How much for fuel, accomodation, food, break up please
Ok, while the statistics expert attach the detials, here is the summary from me...

It was around 60K with 12K per head.[No concession for Ramkya1 head too ]

Diesel was around 38K
Toll was little less than 6K for 2 vehicles
Hotel for 10K
Old 14th January 2009, 09:18   #429
Senior - BHPian

Did you know......?

The toll fees to do the entire GQ is Rs 2,852, but bear in mind that this does not include the following:
- Incomplete sections between Surat and Baroda, 135 kms
- Incomplete Chittorgarh bypass, 25 kms
- Kanpur-Allahabad road, which is incomplete, 210 kms
- Allahabad Bypass, which is incomplete, maybe 40 kms
- Reduced toll charges in the Jharkhand-West Bengal section, probably because of the incomplete Bagodar and Dumri town bypasses
- No toll gate for 185 kms from the West Bengal-Orissa border (Jaleswar) to Jajpur
- Incomplete Bhubaneswar-Behrampur road till the AP border, which is around 200 kms
- No toll on Madras Ring Road, 10 kms
- No toll on Attibele-Bangalore NH7, which is being upgraded currently, 40 kms
- No toll on Bangalore-Nelamangala NH4, which is being upgraded currently, 20 kms
- 135 kms of incomplete NH4 between Chitradurga and Haveri

If I tot up the stretches where toll is not being charged now, that adds up to 1,000 kms, which means only 1/6 th of the GQ is under toll roads currently. Even if I conservatively add Re.0.50 (the NHAI rate) for the incomplete stretches, the extra toll could be Rs 500, meaning that we could end up (without taking into account inflation indexation) at least Rs 3,500 to savour the entire GQ once all the roads are complete.

...One more interesting thing is that there is an exemption for defence personnel, which can also be stretched by a little imagination to ex-defence personnel also.
Old 14th January 2009, 10:02   #430
Senior - BHPian

Mahindras & Tatas

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-4th-day4.jpg

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-4th-day5.jpg

Somewhere around Mathura???

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6137.jpg

We both sent customer to next one!!!

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6151.jpg

Spot the missing color!

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6152.jpg

Akbar tomb, Max we could get on the move!

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6154.jpg

Eyes wondering why everyone is sitting inside our vehicle!!!

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6173.jpg

Practising to block road
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6176.jpg

Filling the purest water on earth in to Mineral water bottle

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_6304.jpg
Old 14th January 2009, 10:06   #431
Senior - BHPian

There were lot of envious eyes, wondering why 2 SUVs were being driven around the country with just 5 guys in it - when by the Indian standards, they should have packed in at least 5 times that number!
Old 14th January 2009, 14:42   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Did you know......?

- No toll on Madras Ring Road, 10 kms
The ORR between Maduravoyal and Tambaram / Perungalathur has a toll of Rs. 10 one way!

This so called ring road of Chennai is now a part of the city!

BTW, Good Statistics!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 18:27   #433
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Good stuff guys. Congrats on an epic journey of sorts for T-bhp.
Waiting for the final details - log books etc to be shared.

The knowledge, skills, planning and patience required to plan and pull off such an event to the dot furthur dignifies the 'distinguished' tag that HVK holds. Truly a priceless asset to this forum and all of us.

Also notably appreciable is the ability of hardcore self-drivers like Ramkya to take the passenger seat next to HVK. Again speaking of the temperament required.

Thank you all for sharing this wonderful trip with us.
cheers:
Jay,

You're dot-on about the self-discovery part, a couple of revelations about myself.

1. Till Behror, 1st stop, I was physically OK. From there on to Calcutta, the next stop I was OK. From the 3rd day on, I had to resort to balanced fuluids to keep my headaches away, staring endlessly at the rolling tarmac can take a heavy toll. After Anikepally stop, the headaches started, I had to fight not to take analgesics and kept so simple food. I found HVK also had a couple of bouts of headache, but being more seasoned than me, he bore it pretty well. The excitement of the drive kept all physical problems at bay, there was enough all the way, braking, overtaking etc.,

2. I've been wanted to do this, from the scouting poin tof view. I've discovered that if you want to do it, there are no soft options, I need to plunge and deal with the trade-offs as they emerge. At the end, I could have the cake and eat it also.

3. I found I need to work-out more, with age catching on, if at all I have to do long stretches of driving, I need to deal with my fitness now, or it's good-bye long drives in about 2-3 years. So dreaming of long drives is a great motivation to work out in the mornings.

4. Discovered I could be a slave to the objective, I guess, very important to deal with business objectives. To support the drivers, be part of the team and be subordinate to finishing the drive on time and in harmoney with everyone was paramount. I thought this would be very difficult for me, was happy I could forget petty self-serving problems and concentrate on the drive.

5.Re-inforced my faith in planning, my team-mates in office complain about the endless check-lists I force them to make before events. No way I'd stop doing that, HVK's matriculous planning and execution by the team was the core sucess factor for this trip.

I am sure every other member of the GQ6DAY6K team has some such story to tell..... team anything?

--Ramky
-----==
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 18:44   #434
Senior - BHPian

Ramkya1, Thats an wonderful revelation. I wonder how many would actually come forward and accept their limitations.

Cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 19:59   #435
BANNED

Day 1: Bangalore to Bombay was a walk in the park because
a) It was Day 1
b) I knew the most of the route having last done Pune - Bangalore in June 2008 and Bangalore - Haveri in April 2007.

Day 2: Bombay to Behror was also OK. I was tired nearing Jaipur and that coffee from Dhiraj & Parul was a life-saver.

Day 3: Behror to Allahabad
I started noticing that having the Scorpio constantly in front was starting to affect my judgement (braking etc.). This was when I started dropping behind a little just to get a clear view of the road.

Day 4: Allahabad to Calcutta
Again OK with the strategy of not following the Scorpio too closely but just catching up with Kumar at the toll plazas.

Day 5: Calcutta to Vizag
I almost lost it entering Vizag when I thought a parked lorry in my lane up ahead was moving. I had noticed it from 1/2 km away and thought it was moving. Alerted in time by Shahnawaz / Ramky, managed not to drive into it. The realization that I was tired hit and hit hard. We decided to stop for the night although I would have been OK with some strong tea / coffee. We couldn't find a single hotel or tea shop on the entire bypass! Washing my face, drinking some water - I was OK to drive another 40 km to Anakapalli (where we finally found a hotel).

Kumar & Ramky were very apprehensive of the distance to cover the next day (they HAD to be back in Bombay on the 31st) but I was confident that as long as I got a good night's rest, we would make it.

Day 6: Anakapalli to Bangalore
Post Vijaywada, as Kumar mentioned, I stepped the pace up again thanks to familiarity with the route.

Madras - Bangalore was again a walk in the park (having done this so so many times ever since I started driving) although I slowed down after Krishnagiri - took the last stretch (the home run) fairly easy.

I am very used to a cup of coffee first thing in the morning - Kumar's observations are testimony to this - he said I was "fast" on Day 3 (after having filter coffee at Gurgaon (the coffee powder was from Madras!)) and Day 6 (when we stopped twice for coffee).

As Ramky has said, some things can get to you on a drive of this magnitude - the same view of tarmac, watching the lane markers / dividers, the drone of the diesel engine. I'm sure those who were passengers were equally tired, if not more tired (being a passenger for 6 days can VERY tiring).

Last edited by hrag : 14th January 2009 at 20:02.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote