Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th January 2009, 18:14   #451
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Incidentally, we have drawn the entire route on my GPS also - Garmin. This will be converted into a Google earth file.
WoW keeping tabs and penning it down to that extent is really appreciated, i don't know if I could do it nor my passengers would ever do it, in-case if I do make a trip like this !!

I'm pretty new to GPS stuff also, I would do my initial homework and probably ask you more on that.

Thanks & cheers:

Nitin
crn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 18:39   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Log Book of the trip - has the route details, expenses and lots of other interesting statistics.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008

I am also uploading the Excel file here.
Hey Hvk,
No words except for Suuuuperrr Suuuuperrr Suuuuperrr (Tamil Accent)

This thread can turn any lazy bummers into Michael Johnson along with good FE
rudrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 20:29   #453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Log Book of the trip - has the route details, expenses and lots of other interesting statistics.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008

Amazing!! Hats off to the team.

Maintaining such a detailed log book on the top of a gruelling journey spanning 6 days and covering 6000 kms is really a feat.

You are indeed a distinguished BHP-ian!!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 15th January 2009 at 20:31.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 22:53   #454
Senior - BHPian

Did you know......

Talking of our stays during the trip...

The Bangalore team stayed with me at Bombay on Day 1.

On Day 2, we ended up at our planned destination Behror, a small town on the Rajasthan-Haryana border, 100 kms short of Gurgaon. Since we were running late, and were rescheduled to reach Behror quite late (and since hotels go to bed early), we had already decided to stay at the RTDC's Hotel Midway. We had their phone number, and from Kishangarh, we called them up around 730 pm, confirmed that rooms were available, booked and specifically requested entry after 11 pm. We reconfirmed this again once we crossed Jaipur, just 2 hours before. So, our room/ receptionist was ready when we arrived shortly after midnight. The room cost us Rs 990 each (AC).

At Allahabad, our Day 3 halt, SS called up his contacts in UP and found out names of 2-3 hotels in Civil Lines, which we were told is the best place to stay in Allahabad. We rolled into the city after 10 pm, looked around, located the Hotel Saket, walked in, SS bargaining at least a 40% discount, and had the hotel rustle up the last dinner for the day. Cost us Rs 1,600 per room.

Calcutta was easier - Planet_rocker, who was kind enough to suggest the Motel Midway at Dhulagori on the NH6 highway to Kharagpur. Our original destination was to be Kharagpur, but having crossed Calcutta at 10 pm, our chances of getting any decent hotel in Kharagpur at the indecent hour of midnight were not promising, especially since we did not know any hotel there. So Calcutta bypass it was that night. We walked in and got ourselves 1 huge suite for around Rs 1,500.

Day 5 was tough - we were contemplating an early halt at Visakhapatnam, but there were no hotels in the bypass (we did not want to go into any of the inner roads to avoid wasting time). So we decided to continue on NH5 towards Gajuwaka where I hoped to find some hotels, but we failed there too. So Anakapalli it was, some 45 kms away. We had to go off the highway into the town - we saw some uninspiring lodges near the bus stand - remember, we were particular about good car parking - and we continued to look around. Just about the time we were giving up, we found the Hotel Vijay Residency which turned out to be an excellent hotel at around Rs 1000 a room.

Our last night at Bangalore - for the Scorpio - was to be at my own home near the Old Airport, which was vacant, the tenant having vacated it. But there were no cots, no mattresses, so we had to lay out the shawls I had in my car, use a small cushion and our backpack as the pillows, and snore away.

How much did this all cost us? Just around Rs 10K, or around Rs 350 per head per day.

Last edited by hvkumar : 15th January 2009 at 22:55.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2009, 23:36   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

I am just surprised with the allahabad hotel. Surat taj used to take corporate rates of 2.25k in mid 07!! Hotel saket demanding 2500 (post 40% it becomes 1600) is unbelievable!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 00:58   #456
BHPian

Dear Mr HV Kumar. Let me start by Wishing you and your family a Very Happy New year.
I have read all the 31 pages at one go relating to your 6000km trip spreading 12 states. AWESOME!! FANTASTIC!! MIND BOGGLING. Any amount of expletives are not enough to describe you and other BHPians who joined you in this marvellous feat.
This is what it takes to diffrentiate the MEN from the Boys. KUDOS!!
I know what it takes for this kind of a journey as personally I have driven 7times the length and breadth of India barring a few North Eastern states.

Just like you I still drive around in my SUV and I sincerely hope I get to meet you some day.
I am looking forward to the FEB GQ drive and I would definetely like to participate.
Warm rgds
M.Narayan
Quote:
Did you know......

Talking of our stays during the trip...

The Bangalore team stayed with me at Bombay on Day 1.

On Day 2, we ended up at our planned destination Behror, a small town on the Rajasthan-Haryana border, 100 kms short of Gurgaon. Since we were running late, and were rescheduled to reach Behror quite late (and since hotels go to bed early), we had already decided to stay at the RTDC's Hotel Midway. We had their phone number, and from Kishangarh, we called them up around 730 pm, confirmed that rooms were available, booked and specifically requested entry after 11 pm. We reconfirmed this again once we crossed Jaipur, just 2 hours before. So, our room/ receptionist was ready when we arrived shortly after midnight. The room cost us Rs 990 each (AC).

At Allahabad, our Day 3 halt, SS called up his contacts in UP and found out names of 2-3 hotels in Civil Lines, which we were told is the best place to stay in Allahabad. We rolled into the city after 10 pm, looked around, located the Hotel Saket, walked in, SS bargaining at least a 40% discount, and had the hotel rustle up the last dinner for the day. Cost us Rs 1,600 per room.

Calcutta was easier - Planet_rocker, who was kind enough to suggest the Motel Midway at Dhulagori on the NH6 highway to Kharagpur. Our original destination was to be Kharagpur, but having crossed Calcutta at 10 pm, our chances of getting any decent hotel in Kharagpur at the indecent hour of midnight were not promising, especially since we did not know any hotel there. So Calcutta bypass it was that night. We walked in and got ourselves 1 huge suite for around Rs 1,500.

Day 5 was tough - we were contemplating an early halt at Visakhapatnam, but there were no hotels in the bypass (we did not want to go into any of the inner roads to avoid wasting time). So we decided to continue on NH5 towards Gajuwaka where I hoped to find some hotels, but we failed there too. So Anakapalli it was, some 45 kms away. We had to go off the highway into the town - we saw some uninspiring lodges near the bus stand - remember, we were particular about good car parking - and we continued to look around. Just about the time we were giving up, we found the Hotel Vijay Residency which turned out to be an excellent hotel at around Rs 1000 a room.

Our last night at Bangalore - for the Scorpio - was to be at my own home near the Old Airport, which was vacant, the tenant having vacated it. But there were no cots, no mattresses, so we had to lay out the shawls I had in my car, use a small cushion and our backpack as the pillows, and snore away.

How much did this all cost us? Just around Rs 10K, or around Rs 350 per head per day.
Drivealot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 09:15   #457
Senior - BHPian

Did you know........

India is truly into recession. One of the tell-tale signs of economic boom is the number of truck/ bus chassis on the move, as well as the car/2-wheeler trucks. During the entire trip, barring the stray AL export bus consignment (which in case is part of a long-term West Asian order, which is happening for the last several months), we did not see a single truck/ bus chassis on the roads, although we have gone on what are the busiest industrial corridors and arterial roads of India. Talking of car trucks, we must have seen a handful, that too on the Bangalore-Bombay stretch only. That also meant less 2-wheeler transport trucks.

The number of trucks carrying wind mills has also dwindled...

Last edited by hvkumar : 16th January 2009 at 09:19.
Old 16th January 2009, 09:36   #458
Senior - BHPian

Dear HVKumar& GQ TEAM,

Kudos to all of you. Seeing the details captured is awesome.

The only other avid highway monks I know of is my grand father, who every year(in my childhood, he is now 88years young!!) with his three friends would drive all over India for 20 days at a stretch. Every year 20 days of land roving and discovering in the black Ambassador.
My granddad continues to be the most passionate 'roadie' I have ever met. He has done Vishakapatnam-Hyd/Pune/Mumbai etc even on his Jawa. He is one person who can open the entire Jawa or Ambassador and can assemble it back(and this is not exaggeration!!)

You have the same tenacity and passion. Keep it up you five Muskateers!!cheers:
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 11:23   #459
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Both the vehicles travelled the same distance ~6200 km, more or less.

The reason for posting such statistics is not to prove which gives a better mileage (which obviously consumes less diesel) but to indicate to others with similar interests how much to budget for should they undertake a drive like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
If you go through the previous posts of our HVK, then you will know why this difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Kya yaar - 6,171 for the Scorp and 6,187 for the Safari. All the figures are out there.

HVK has reportedly kept the engine on a boil all the time, hence it is logical that he will burn more fuel - 11.59 v/s 12.75.

Difference in cost of Rs.3k (or roughly 15%) between the two vehicles is mostly because HVK used ONLY premium while HRAG used normal on all occassions except two.

Oops, Thanks missed out on that old message from the team
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 12:48   #460
BHPian

Default Heartiest congratulations........from me finally

Team,

I just dont have words to describe your fantabuloustic trip on the GQ. Awe-inspiring!!

Every day when I get to send you this message I just got overwhelmed with all the travelogue, photos, and the cracker of comments that came along. I even changed my homepage on the browser, so that I kept tab. When finally I thought I should now sit down and send this message, HVK's log came in and I went on another trip on the GQ, with google earth, Eicher Maps and my own triplogs (from Chennai to Delhi) on the side.

In these days of downturn we need inspiration, strength of human spirit and camraderie to look up to. Guys, I must say you have given us a truck load of all of this in one go. Keep it up and I am charged to keep pace during 2009.

mjothi: I think you should write more often - I really had some good laughs reading your updates.
HVK: They say :God is in the details: Your log and travelogue stands out.
and finally Ramkya (btw I too am a Ramakrishnan) - your comments were the "Crowning glory".............Congrats to all of you...........Ram
ram2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 15:51   #461
Senior - BHPian

congratulations team GQ,
this thread has become second best thread in travelogue section.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 17:43   #462
BHPian

HVK, hrag, MJ, SS, and RK hats off to you guys.

The drive log book is a comprehensive guide to anyone who may be driving on GQ !
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 17:48   #463
abk
BHPian

Quote:

Wow! Not just the marathon of a drive also what a log Kumar! Wish PwC people learned something from this

One correction though: column B row no 34 ("Toll Cost/Km") should read Total cost/Km
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 18:11   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post

One correction though: column B row no 34 ("Toll Cost/Km") should read Total cost/Km
Thanks, abk, for that.
There are 2 corrections to the file:
Total Cost/Km = Rs 10.01
Toll Cost/Km = Rs 0.46
Old 16th January 2009, 19:53   #465
BHPian

@HVKumar and Team: Logs are really amazing and quite surprising to see up to minute by minute / km by km detail. Do you have any videos as well of the trip ?

@Hrag : Did you experience any fatigue or muscle sprains other than tiredness near Vizag on any single day or did Safari take good care of you ? I am asking you this because you were driving on the entire GQ all by yourself.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 16th January 2009 at 19:54.
TrueDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote