Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th January 2009, 22:30   #466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
Do you have any videos as well of the trip ?
I normally do not take photos or videos when I drive, but some video was shot in my handycam, nothing of any consequence. I have not viewed them myself so far!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 21:28   #467
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDreamer View Post
@Hrag : Did you experience any fatigue or muscle sprains other than tiredness near Vizag on any single day or did Safari take good care of you ? I am asking you this because you were driving on the entire GQ all by yourself.
None other than at Vizag (Day 5 for me).
The Safari could do with a little more underthigh support though (Applicable for people with slightly longer legs than normal).
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 23:08   #468
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
None other than at Vizag (Day 5 for me).
The Safari could do with a little more underthigh support though (Applicable for people with slightly longer legs than normal).
I found the thigh support of the Safari far better than the Scorp, even my Scorp is deficient here. I think while making the seat cover, we can cover this up by modeling more underthigh support. On long stretches, specially demanding ones like the GQ drive, this would make a lot of difference in comfort.

-------
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2009, 23:28   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I found the thigh support of the Safari far better than the Scorp, even my Scorp is deficient here. I think while making the seat cover, we can cover this up by modeling more underthigh support. On long stretches, specially demanding ones like the GQ drive, this would make a lot of difference in comfort.

-------
When I selected my seat covers, I made sure that the thickness of the fabric and the extra padding took care of the poor design of the original Scorpio seats. I keep my seats fully back and I am able to rest my thighs completely on the seat instead of having the knees arched up, makes the drive very comfortable.

On such long drives, the importance of the seating comfort factor cannot be under-estimated. Any wrong seating posture can result in not only leg cramps and accentuate knee pain, but also transmit to the shoulder blades.
Old 18th January 2009, 23:35   #470
Senior - BHPian

Did you know......

On long drives, it is most important to remain well-hydrated. We carried our water along (20 litre can plus several bottles), and water has to be drunk not to satiate thirst but to replenish the depletion in body water that happens very fast. We also used to have 2 rounds of water mixed with Electral (you get lime and orange-flavoured ones, which taste like any other fruit drink). Besides, we also carried Leh Berry (my favourite drink, very effective in energising you too) and Amul's Masala Chaas.

Some other tips - the driver has to drink on the move - so keep a smaller bottle for him so it is easier to drink out of - heavy and badly-designed bottles can be dangerous. For example, the typical mineral water bottles are too soft and slippery, very difficult to grasp and sip with one hand. You may not believe this, but it took me several years to find the right kind of bottle for the driver!!
Old 18th January 2009, 23:39   #471
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When I selected my seat covers, I made sure that the thickness of the fabric and the extra padding took care of the poor design of the original Scorpio seats. I keep my seats fully back and I am able to rest my thighs completely on the seat instead of having the knees arched up, makes the drive very comfortable.

On such long drives, the importance of the seating comfort factor cannot be under-estimated. Any wrong seating posture can result in not only leg cramps and accentuate knee pain, but also transmit to the shoulder blades.
As you saw, I keep it up close to the wheel whereas you pulled the seat a little more to the back all the while. You recommended for me to pull the seat one notch back and see the comfort level, worth trying as I get knee pain on the left leg during long drives; maybe a combination of the hard clutch and posture?

Also I will have to pad up my seats to ensure thigh support, that would make a big difference in comfort.

About Electral, found it kept the headaches at bay, it must be the dehydration that brings it on. I tend to get allerghic headaches on most of my long trips, take an anti-histaminic / Allegra at night. This time around, had to take only one tab at Anikapally, found that the electral solutions reduced the frequency, this is another find on the trip for me. Any anti-histaminic has a tendancy to sedate you, though Allegra has the least chance; Electral water is a much better alternataive, loved the lime taste too

======

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 18th January 2009 at 23:48.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 03:09   #472
Senior - BHPian

Wow awesome. Just finished reading 32 pages non-stop in around 2 hrs time !!! Must be a great feeling to achieve something like this. As a person who gets headaches if I don't sleep well or eat properly I can fully understand the amount of physical endurance you guys had to do something of this kind. Definitely something to tell everyone down the years.

Great writeup by mjothi. Hvk as usual lives up to his standard of provide facts, numbers and important information.

Nice insights by Ram and excellent humor by SS.

Great going folks.

I for my life cannot understand why such a great project has still not been completed. The 5 year tenure of the current government is almost over. I wish things were speeded up and we don't need to wait another 5 yrs for this to be completed.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:39   #473
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the Trip History you all!.I just finished the 32 pages now.I would like to know how can a speedy driver(driving technique) concentrate for 100's of kms at a ride?Isn't it tough and dangerous? I know ,it depends on vehicle.still?
I ,for One has done long trips(for us 200-500kms maximum) with constant speed driving at 80kmph mostly.Only Stretch I was forced to speed is Thrissur-Angamaly NH47 in Kerala.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 08:55   #474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

On long drives (say 300-400 kms), I always end up with pain in left hand side of neck and to get freed up, I need to turn my head to the extreme left and hold it for couple of seconds. This needs to be done for 2-3 times in a span of 15 minutes for temp relief. Might be due to the seating in non-comfort zone.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 09:24   #475
Team-BHP Support

Here are my views as a passenger on the Safari.

Though it is a quite comfortable vehicle, good middle seat support etc, at the end of the day after a long journey, I could for sure feel as if I had got of from a 3 day train journey. Even after 10-15 minutes after getting out, I felt the 'sway' as if i was still in a train.

Though, no pains/aches etc etc.

Can't comment on the Scorpio.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 09:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

One of the comfortable driving techniques is to keep windows shut totally - to eliminate fatigue induced by noise, wind and dust - and run the AC as much as you feel comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Thanks for the Trip History you all!.I just finished the 32 pages now.I would like to know how can a speedy driver(driving technique) concentrate for 100's of kms at a ride?Isn't it tough and dangerous? I know ,it depends on vehicle.still?
I ,for One has done long trips(for us 200-500kms maximum) with constant speed driving at 80kmph mostly.Only Stretch I was forced to speed is Thrissur-Angamaly NH47 in Kerala.
Like the engine can run continuously as long it has fuel and cooling, so can the driver as long as he keeps himself well-nourished and incentivised (the drive to do the drive, excitement of driving to new places, sheer pleasure of driving, etc). I have driven 30 and 45 hours non-stop and never faced any problems. In fact, at the end of those long drives, I have continued to sight-see at destination for upto 10 more hours before going off to bed. For example, I drove from Bombay to Dalhousie non-stop (D1, 3 am - D2, 2 pm), and after going around Dalhousie rest of the day, went to bed at 10 pm on D2.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th January 2009 at 15:49. Reason: Please use multiquote option :)
Old 19th January 2009, 13:46   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven 30 and 45 hours non-stop and never faced any problems
Not everyone can be able to achieve this.and this depends on the person who drive.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 18:25   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
Not everyone can be able to achieve this.and this depends on the person who drive.
Primarily you need to have a very good fitness and have to be very passionate on driving to achieve such timings.

I too love long drives, but once I get pass 8-10 hrs of driving the concentration shifts to the milestone watching out for the balance distance to be covered. I always calculate 45-50kmph, hence its not more than 450-500 kms per day. I feel damn tired at the end of the show. Have been closely following the tips from HVK & other travel gurus to beat my own records

HVK, more DO YOU KNOW? pls
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 00:39   #479
Senior - BHPian

Did you know.....

We achieved the best speeds by starting off early in the morning:

- On Day 2, first 260 kms from Bombay to Surat took us only 3 hr 20 minutes (200 minutes)
- On Day 4, since we started only at 700 am, we could cover only 156 kms in the same time, between Allahabad and Chandevli

The importance of an early morning start can never be emphasised, especially if you are on a double road moving away from a large city (can be the worst time if going towards a large city!).

The fastest drives we had, apart from the Bombay-Surat leg were:
- Baroda-Ahmedabad, 92 kms in 45 minutes
- Himmatnagar-Udaipur, 175 kms in 2 hours (120 m)
- Udaipur-Chittorgarh, 103 kms in 45 minutes
- Etawah-Akbarpur, 130 kms, in 1 hr 30 minutes (90 m)
- Guntur-Tada (TN Border), 370 kms, in 4 hr 15 minutes (255 m)
Old 20th January 2009, 10:16   #480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Udaipur-Chittorgarh, 103 kms in 45 minutes
Average of 137 Km/Hr . Were you driving 140+ all this stretch
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote