Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th January 2009, 10:47   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Average of 137 Km/Hr . Were you driving 140+ all this stretch
One of the best stretches on the GQ - I notice we have done it faster than the Baroda-Ahmedabad expressway. Once the Chittorgarh town bypass gets ready, I guess we should save at least 15 minutes on the onward journey from Chittorgarh. But, Rajiv, we were not driving crazy, the road is uninterrupted, smooth.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:02   #482
Senior - BHPian

Kumar, saab, no doubt about that, I know your are one of the safest pilot on highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
But, Rajiv, we were not driving crazy, the road is uninterrupted, smooth.
I was just surprised, may be because I have not been to this pass, that to get 137 average, you have to maintain 140+ most of time. I guess this stretch does allow you to maintain that.

Last edited by rkbharat : 20th January 2009 at 11:04.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 11:12   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Average of 137 Km/Hr . Were you driving 140+ all this stretch
To get an average of 137 kmph, one needs to do atleast 150 or 160kmph+ Unless the distance is very short and a single road without breaks!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 12:12   #484
Distinguished - BHPian

Udaipur-Chittorgarh and then after you rejoin the expressway Chittor-Bhilwara-Nasirabad are really fast tracks with excellent on road and shoulder visibility and you can drive with very less traffic slowdowns.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 13:26   #485
BANNED

Quote:
One of the comfortable driving techniques is to keep windows shut totally - to eliminate fatigue induced by noise, wind and dust - and run the AC as much as you feel comfortable.
One can cover huge distances with the A/C on. However, rolling down the window once in a while helps bring in fresh air and breaks the monotony of the drive.

Quote:
Like the engine can run continuously as long it has fuel and cooling, so can the driver as long as he keeps himself well-nourished and incentivised (the drive to do the drive, excitement of driving to new places, sheer pleasure of driving, etc).
Well said! One also needs to be reasonably fit.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2009, 14:54   #486
BHPian

One needs to be much more than reasonably fit my dear sir.. Fat@$$es like me just cannot sustain it beyond 8-10 hours in one go..
prabhuav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 00:11   #487
Senior - BHPian

Did you know......

Planning a 6,000 km drive in 6 days was not easy.

- 6 days it was, because it sounded nice to do 6,000 kms in 6 Days

- We decided to take the post-Xmas week off, and we got exactly 6 days to the year-end

- I had done the GQ (except Agra-Allahabad-Dhanbad) in bits and pieces during my other trips, and I had a fair estimate of driving conditions and speeds that were possible

- First leg of the plan was to do the Bangalore-Bombay leg in 1 day, which was the easy part, been done many times before, not difficult at all

- Second leg was the toughest one, we set ourselves a target of reaching as close to Delhi as possible. I had done Bombay-Delhi in a day several times before, and had no difficulty in pacing this leg.

- The successful execution of the Bombay-Delhi leg called for us to overcome the first obstacle of crossing Surat-Ankleshwar-Baroda before day traffic choked up the under-repair sections, which we did at outstanding pace

- The rest of the drive was quite easy, you have to keep going. We were cocky enough to have brunch at Ahmedabad, dinner at Kishangarh and meet deky at Jaipur and managed to reach our target destination Behror at midnight

- Behror was chosen as the overnight halt because (a) it was just 100 kms short of Delhi, or 90 minutes away, and (b) the RTDC hotel there is VFM, avoiding staying at expensive Jaipurs and Delhis (plus the advantage of bypassing Jaipur)

- The third leg was planned such that we left late enough in the morning to beat the fog but also early enough cross Delhi to avoid the city traffic. We were delayed - first by the late start at 6 am, and second by the thick fog for the first 60 kms. Hence, by the time we breasted the Delhi border at Badarpur, we were hungry for brunch.

- The delay that day cascaded down as we got stuck in daytime traffic jams en route Agra, and ended up 130 kms short of Varanasi, at Allahabad, which was to have been our original destination

- Compounding the previous day's delay was the late start from Allahabad the next day, which also resulted in our hitting the crowded Dhanbad-Durgapur-Bardhaman belt in peak evening hour traffic instead of the early afternoon, forcing us to halt at Calcutta that night instead of Bhubaneswar, running late by 6 hours by the end of the day.

- The congestion in Kolaghat bridge south of Calcutta also was a determinant in the planning; we dropped the idea of going on to Kharagpur that night fearing delays at the bridge.

- The Anakapalli-Bangalore leg called for some tight planning since we were already 600 kms behind our schedule, and we made up by rocketing off to a brilliant pre-dawn start at 3 am, following up with some high-speed driving between Guntur and Madras. However, we did lose time on the Madras-Bangalore leg, thanks to peak evening traffic conditions.

Plan your trips well. Implement the plan even better. Stick to your plan as best as possible on trips like these. Normally, when I plan long drives, I am merciless in the non-tourist stretches and relax only after I reach my target region (say, Uttarakhand, or HP, and so on).
Old 21st January 2009, 19:32   #488
BANNED

Quote:
Did you know......

- First leg of the plan was to do the Bangalore-Bombay leg in 1 day, which was the easy part, been done many times before, not difficult at all
Some trivia about Day 1:

We started from Bangalore at 4:45 am. We stopped twice for coffee (15 minutes each), for breakfast (30 minutes, think it was more thanks to the useless service at Vithal Kamat) and lunch + fuel (60 minutes).
We entered Bombay at 6:40 pm. And then went straight at the Shivaji statue..

That was just under 14 hours with 2 hours of breaks. A driving time of just under than 12 hours.

We would have got stuck on the ORR between Hebbal & Peenya thanks to the massive traffic jam. Luckily we took the Jalahalli route and made it to Peenya quickly. Shahnawaz was worried that we might end up at Hessaraghatta again.
Quote:
We were cocky enough to have brunch at Ahmedabad, dinner at Kishangarh and meet deky at Jaipur and managed to reach our target destination Behror at midnight
Saar, we were also hungry

Last edited by hrag : 21st January 2009 at 19:34.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 10:39   #489
Senior - BHPian

Rating of GQ roads - for road design, quality, bypasses, cluttering

Outstanding:
AP (Vijaywada bypass needs improvement)

Good:
MH (loses because of wrong-side driving, bad bypasses in Pune and Bombay)
GJ (incomplete Surat-Baroda leg)
RJ (loses on congested and narrow Jaipur-Delhi leg)
JH (incomplete bypasses, poor facilities)
BR
TN (loses due to congested Madras-Krishnagiri, poor Madras bypass)
KA (rating will improve after completion of Hosur-Bangalore-Nelamnagala widening, and incomplete stretches to Haveri

Bad:
HR (generally cluttered by day, but outstanding at night)
UP (loses on Delhi-Agra and incomplete Allahabad bypass)
OR (too early to say, incomplete, but also poor Bhubaneswar bypass)
DL (no bypass, heavy traffic clutter)
Old 22nd January 2009, 11:15   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Rating of GQ roads - for road design, quality, bypasses, cluttering

Outstanding:
AP (Vijaywada bypass needs improvement)

Good:
MH (loses because of wrong-side driving, bad bypasses in Pune and Bombay)
GJ (incomplete Surat-Baroda leg)
RJ (loses on congested and narrow Jaipur-Delhi leg)
JH (incomplete bypasses, poor facilities)
BR
TN (loses due to congested Madras-Krishnagiri, poor Madras bypass)
KA (rating will improve after completion of Hosur-Bangalore-Nelamnagala widening, and incomplete stretches to Haveri

Bad:
HR (generally cluttered by day, but outstanding at night)
UP (loses on Delhi-Agra and incomplete Allahabad bypass)
OR (too early to say, incomplete, but also poor Bhubaneswar bypass)
DL (no bypass, heavy traffic clutter)
You mentioned 12 states, which one state you missing? I guess there were 13 states.
akas_chauhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:02   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
You mentioned 12 states, which one state you missing? I guess there were 13 states.
Good:
WB (loses out on Durgapur-Bardhaman leg congestion)
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:09   #492
BHPian

Default Food for Thought?

Great work there guys! A salute to your endurance and the endurance of the machines.

Would also like to know your experiences on the Food. Doing such a huge distance and staying in the car for close to 16 hours / day requires people to have a proper food and ensure no unwanted concerns / breaks. How did you guys manage it? Also, your experiences on the novelties in food tried in every state?

Please do let us know.
DWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:32   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
Great work there guys! A salute to your endurance and the endurance of the machines.

Would also like to know your experiences on the Food. Doing such a huge distance and staying in the car for close to 16 hours / day requires people to have a proper food and ensure no unwanted concerns / breaks. How did you guys manage it? Also, your experiences on the novelties in food tried in every state?

Please do let us know.
Food, what is that?

Anyway, the best food i had was on day 3 in a Dhaba just after we passed Delhi. The utterly butterly delicious

Next would be the Rajasthan Dal fry. Umm, dont remind me. I am feeling hungry now.

The least would be the Anekapalli hotel Vijay.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2009, 10:40   #494
Senior - BHPian

Did you know......

We had 2 meals every day, the first being brunch and the last being dinner at the end of the day's driving (except on Day 2)

None of us were the wake-up coffee/ tea types, which in any case was not possible in view of the early morning starts (except on Day 6, when we had 2 coffee breaks).

Day 2 from Bombay, we combined a brunch halt in the Ahmedabad Sardar Patel Ring Road, when we also picked up Ramky. This was at a regular hotel. That night, we targeted the Hotel Panaghat, a motel at Kishangarh, which I knew about. We had dinner there, since we were scheduled to reach our hotel only after 11 pm which would have been too late.

Day 3, we had brunch in a truckers' dhaaba at Palwal, near the HR-UP border. Typical aloo paratha fare. Good food. Cheap and best. That night we had dinner only after we reached our hotel in Allahabad, at 1030 pm.

Day 4, we had brunch at a dhaaba on the UP-BR border. Typical truckers dhaaba, had charpois, water tank, etc. We also washed our cars while waiting for the food to be made ready. We had a small tea break near Durgapur that evening, but dinner was Punjabi-style at the motel we stayed in the Calcutta bypass.

Day 5, we stopped at lunch time at Bhubaneswar in a proper restaurant. Chole Bhatura type food. The next meal was at 10 pm after we checked into the hotel at Anakapalli.

Day 6, we had some difficulty in finding a place to eat in the Vijaywada bypass, so we ended up going into Mangalagiri town, and had in a crowded local restaurant. We then had a get together with pykmsrikanth in the Madras bypass at the Motel Highway at 5 pm, where we had early dinner. On the way from Madras to Banmgalore, we had a tea break at Ambur.

All of us had only vegetarian food. Simple food, with lassis and dahis to round off. Choice of food depended on what was available (late night) or how fast it would be delivered. We had our own water bottles in the car.

The most expensive meal we had was in Calcutta, but the average meal cost for 5 of us cost us Rs 300-400 only.

generally, I prefer to avoid exotic food, non-veg, oily food. We also like to have our food with refined oil, not the local oils like mustard or vanaspati which we are not used to. We had no problems with green salads although for many that is a red flag since that is uncooked food.

As you can see, our meals were very rudimentary, hardly savouring any of the local flavours. And when it comes to dhaaba food, it tastes the same all over India.

Our total food costs came to Rs 4,000 (excluding an expensive drink session the Bangalore gang had in Bombay), which amounts to Rs 135 per head per day. Could it be cheaper than that!

Last edited by hvkumar : 23rd January 2009 at 10:43.
Old 24th January 2009, 10:44   #495
BHPian

[quote=hvkumar;1113425]Day 2: Bombay-Behror

Keep your windows firmly closed when you cross Vapi and Ankleshwar, the chemical stench can hit you hard and the smog rolls down menacingly.

I spent the first 15 years of my life growing up in Ankleshwar and my school was in Bharuch. A hint for those who may get stuck in traffic. Just after you cross Panoli and on the outskirts of Ank, you will see a road deviating to the left. If you take this road which is not a highway, you will cross Ank railway station and go parallel to the railway track all the way to the narmada bridge and then on to Bharuch. A little ahead after crossing Bharuch there will be a signboard pointing to a right taking you back to NH8. This road is only for smaller vehicles and trucks / buses cannot get into the old narmada bridge. The bridge by itself is over a hundred years old and if you ever travel by train, just before the bridge there is what is called a 'diamond curve'...since the curve is actually that much angled. Just thought of sharing with you folks.

You cross the River Tapi after Surat, and River Narmada after Ankleshwar.

The expressway from Baroda to Ahmedabad is probably one of India's fastest - we did the 87 kms in 45 minutes, and also has sparse traffic.

HVK Sir, I have not done this stretch but I would rate the Belgaum - Kolhapur stretch the best. I did the 102 km stretch in under 60 minutes without taking any risks. Ofcourse you would know better but would like your views.

Thanks
vij4all is offline   Reply With Quote