Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 24th January 2009, 19:31   #496
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Hai Vij,

When you reach Ankleswar, you'd know automatically you're into the sticky sections till Baroda, keeping the window closed would reduce the stench. Likewise when you travel from Baroda -Surat, you'd know by the stench the worst section is about to be over

I found it creeping into the A/C compartment when I recently travelled back to Ahmedabad, even at 3-4 AM through my sleep I could guess we were crossing this section.

I've done the section from Hubli BP to Kolhapur / Kasawada, Nov. 2007, on my way back from South thro. Bangalore, as under
...................ODO.... TIME
Toll Hubli......443.... 305 pm
Hubli exit.....473..... 325
Toll Dharwa..526..... 410
Nippani Bri...621......510
toll Kagnoi....637......520
Kolha - BP....650......530
Toll Tsawada.680......555

So 237 kms in about 3 hours, the best time was from Dharward to Nippani Bridge. This sections is one of the best in GQ where you can make up time.

Checked my logs for my other trips thro. this section, shows one of the best times next to A'bad to Baroda expressway.

--Ramky
=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 24th January 2009 at 19:38.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 19:21   #497
Senior - BHPian

Driving such long distances definitely sucks out the power from one's body.

Will not one get exhausted, if the body was not refueled with proper diet?

What's your take & suggestions on that as we cannot be choosy in such long trips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
generally, I prefer to avoid exotic food, non-veg, oily food. We also like to have our food with refined oil, not the local oils like mustard or vanaspati which we are not used to. We had no problems with green salads although for many that is a red flag since that is uncooked food.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 00:52   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Driving such long distances definitely sucks out the power from one's body.

Will not one get exhausted, if the body was not refueled with proper diet?

What's your take & suggestions on that as we cannot be choosy in such long trips?
I find that the most requirement is to keep yourself well-hydrated. Drink water not to quench thirst but from time to time to ensure that the body does not get dehydrated. Have at least 2 rounds of electral-mixed water to ensure rejuvenation of body salts. In case you have (a) headache, (b) drowsiness, or (c) discoloured piss, you know you are dehydrated, and take precautions accordingly. Hence, I drink enough water during my trips and I rarely feel unwell.

I substitute dry fruits and fresh fruits for regular food - partly because it is easier to carry such food, but most importantly that these are rich and nutritious foods which keep both hunger away as well as keep you well-nourished.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 01:59   #499
BANNED

Fear of losing your GPS can also keep you going until signal strength is strong enough ;-) Some refer to it as adrenaline!

In perspective, a long drive is what you (as a driver) feel comfortable with. Remember, you are not competing with anybody. The golden rules are always - drink water at regular intervals (whether you feel thirsty or not), eat when hungry, stop & rest when tired.

Last edited by hrag : 3rd February 2009 at 02:00.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 09:30   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
...stop & rest when tired.
This point is more important than the others, I guess...this should never be under-estimated.

Last edited by Blue Thunder : 3rd February 2009 at 09:45.
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 15:03   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I find that the most requirement is to keep yourself well-hydrated. Drink water not to quench thirst but from time to time to ensure that the body does not get dehydrated. Have at least 2 rounds of electral-mixed water to ensure rejuvenation of body salts. In case you have (a) headache, (b) drowsiness, or (c) discoloured piss, you know you are dehydrated, and take precautions accordingly. Hence, I drink enough water during my trips and I rarely feel unwell.
Yes, water indeed does wonder during such long nonstop drives. During such drives, My wife keeps on giving me water every 30min or so and I keep on drinking doesnt matter whether I am thirsty or not.
Thats the reason I always carry 20 lit water can always.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 03:08   #502
BHPian

Have a question to the five distinguished gentlemen who have participated in the endeavour.

1) How many kms were butter smooth highways (with/without traffic) in % rough roads of the entire journey vs % smooth roads across the route as a % of the entire journey ?
2) Would you advice this same journey be done in a metro only service station vehicle. (Read as an import)

Warm regards

M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 15th February 2009 at 03:09.
mmmjgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2009, 08:48   #503
Senior - BHPian

Most of the roads are in excellent condition. The only slow or bad roads (but tolerable) are in the incomplete sections:

- Chitradurga bypass
- Davangere/Harihar bypass
- Surat/Baroda section
- Chittorgarh town (bypass is incomplete)
- Allahabad bypass (bypass is incomplete, but good roads)
- Bypasses in Dumri and one more Jharkhand town
- Panaghat bazaar (incomplete bypass)
- Balasore/Bhadrak in Orissa (incomplete road sections, bad roads)
- Bhalugaon-Behrampur (incomplete road sections, one bad bridge section)
- Annavaram town (incomplete 500 m)

You can use any car, these are pucca highways.
Old 15th February 2009, 11:19   #504
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Have a question to the five distinguished gentlemen who have participated in the endeavour.

1) How ...............

2) Would you advice this same journey be done in a metro only service station vehicle. (Read as an import)

Warm regards

M M
I've driven long distance in a Amby, Fiat, Tata Safari, Honda City and Indica (distances varying between 350 - 600 kms) and Santro, Ford Fusion, Scorpio (the last four common leg between Ahmedabad- Delhi-about 900kms+), all single day drives. My experience is:

1. I felt least tired on the Scorpio, the knocks from the roads are absorbed well by a bigger car with bigger tyres and more power. I was amazed even after reaching A'bad Delhi, I was raring to go. This is significant since Scorpio experiences are latest; I'm getting older not as wirey-fit as I used to be.

2. On all other smaller vehicles, I was very tired after a 8-10 hr drive even in the best of roads. The Fusion was the next best, indicating tyre size and power has to do something with this.

Suggestions is for you to go for a bigger vehicle if you want to do the whole hog, a good cruiser. The Safari / Scorpio types would be ideal, you're more likely to enjoy the ride.

--Ramky
=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 15th February 2009 at 11:20.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2009, 19:34   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
The golden rules are always - drink water at regular intervals (whether you feel thirsty or not), eat when hungry, stop & rest when tired.
In some of the long journeys (only during days), I found that all of sudden you feel very sleepy, then I open my eyes wide and concentrate a lot on the roads just to ensure that I not dosing off. This will continue for next 10-15 minutes before I get back to my composure. After that I would be perfectly okay without any tiredness.

Iam not sure, whether I will be alright if I stop for relaxing. Wanted to try next time if I can avoid that taxing 15 minutes
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 01:12   #506
Senior - BHPian

When I feel sleepy, I drink more Water!!!!
Old 6th March 2009, 09:47   #507
Senior - BHPian

Add to HVK, I will also never rest my sight on the road for too long on a spot!! I shall keep my eye balls moving (between ORVM & RVMs etc)without loosing focus of the road! This helps me not to get into the 'self hypnotised state' during which most of the accidents happen!!

I am not an expert but would love to hear from others on this!!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:09   #508
BHPian

To avoid sleeping I do these things.
  • Always have a co-driver and that person should not sleep and give company to the driver by chatting.
  • If you feel sleepy, take a break. Have a tea, wash your face, wipe off your face with a wet tissue
  • Keep the windows open for a while. Stale air will make you sleepy.
  • Play some item numbers in the music system
MadRash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 12:34   #509
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
To avoid sleeping I do these things.
  • Always have a co-driver and that person should not sleep and give company to the driver by chatting.
  • If you feel sleepy, take a break. Have a tea, wash your face, wipe off your face with a wet tissue
  • Keep the windows open for a while. Stale air will make you sleepy.
  • Play some item numbers in the music system
Dude if you play Item Numbers your co-passengers who are sleeping behind will kick you,

Take a break and have Tea, have a short walk while having Tea - this a good way of getting sleep out.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 13:13   #510
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Iam not sure, whether I will be alright if I stop for relaxing. Wanted to try next time if I can avoid that taxing 15 minutes
You'll be fine - nothing lost and everything gained if you stop to take a break.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote