Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 6th March 2009, 13:19   #511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Add to HVK, I will also never rest my sight on the road for too long on a spot!! I shall keep my eye balls moving (between ORVM & RVMs etc)without loosing focus of the road! This helps me not to get into the 'self hypnotised state' during which most of the accidents happen!!

I am not an expert but would love to hear from others on this!!
Some of my techniques on long night drives:
- Keep dip/dimming headlights to break the monotony of the road and avoid getting hypnotised
- No tea breaks, occasional wash the face
- Music also helps, but I have been driving around for the last 1 year without a music system
- Opening the windows for a few seocnd sto let in fresh air helps
- My co-passengers invariably let me down and snore away to glory - their snores break the monotony of the drive
- I am busy anyway filling up log books and GPS trackers on the move, those are like the dead-man's stick in Bombay's local trains
- Eating fresh fruits helps
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 14:24   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRash View Post
To avoid sleeping I do these things.
  • Always have a co-driver and that person should not sleep and give company to the driver by chatting.
  • If you feel sleepy, take a break. Have a tea, wash your face, wipe off your face with a wet tissue
  • Keep the windows open for a while. Stale air will make you sleepy.
  • Play some item numbers in the music system
Somehow, none of the above help me much when i am tired and sleepy...And I usually travel alone..

The best is to park up have a nap for 10 minutes and carry on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
You'll be fine - nothing lost and everything gained if you stop to take a break.
No Sir, I've lost 10 minutes.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 14:31   #513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
No Sir, I've lost 10 minutes.
Not if you take rest / a nap. If you spend 10 minutes just hanging around taking "nice pics", that's a different story
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 14:43   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Not if you take rest / a nap. If you spend 10 minutes just hanging around taking "nice pics", that's a different story
well i kinda agree with you cos..the time spent napping can be recovered in the next hour by averaging 120+ instead of 100+..

one feels more energised!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:20   #515
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Dude if you play Item Numbers your co-passengers who are sleeping behind will kick you,

............... this a good way of getting sleep out.
If an item number is sitting on the co-passenger seat and if you play with it, co-passengers in the back will surely kick you

For me worst times are post-lunch, 30-45 mts after lunch, I feel drowsy even after a light lunch, almost ran off the GQ twice!!!!! I try to put my pet CD, post-lunch, and sing along loudly (much to the discomfort and rage of my sleeping family), when they see the CD, they know what's coming This also warns them I am feeling sleepy, one of them take turns at keeping awake in the co-passenger seat and we sing together!!!!

Taking a sort 5-10 mt. break, a photo-break, a hot coffee/tea and a stop to stretch helps me. I've learned a new trick from HVK from the last GQ trip, munching on biscuits.

--Ramky
========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 6th March 2009 at 15:27.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 15:40   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If an item number is sitting on the co-passenger seat and if you play with it, co-passengers in the back will surely kick you
Ramky, Thats a cool interpretation of the 'item number/member". I was laughing loud in my cabin after reading your post!!!
getsurya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2009, 16:05   #517
BHPian

Good to see the silence broken on this thread. At one point I remember this was the most active thread with updates awaited with bated breath.

Coming to the topic - how to keep awake, every one has a sleep cycle and a normal person feels sleepy 8 times a day. Roughly every three hours. One should know these sleep cycles and consciously work on beating the peak point of sleep cycle.
dushmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 16:36   #518
Senior - BHPian

I just went through the entire thread over 2 days neglecting my work and boy what a drive!

@HVK: Hrag was telling me about their actions in Mumbai while you busy in a business meeting

So is there an encore happening of this anytime?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 17:49   #519
Senior - BHPian

The link to the Log Book has changed, please note the new link:

GOLDEN QUADRILATERAL 2008 - hvkumar | Google Groups
Old 8th March 2010, 15:21   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to Hvk's and MileCruncher's updates this link has come on top of recent updates in travelouges list. Just completed reading whole 35 page's. Dreaming of doing atleast a part of this trip sometime.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 17:33   #521
BHPian

This is an amazing trip and a superb travelogue.

How many people would be willing to do this kind of a trip if we were to plan something in 2010? I would so love to do this one day and soon.
gopal.prabhu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 21:48   #522
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! Happy to help you all plan a similar trip, depending on the pace you want to set.