Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st January 2009, 12:02   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Samurai, Those are loaded words

Its been done in relay on bikes in just under 103 hours, and I'm sure in the relay run, hvk saab (with other stalwarts like Tirthankar) at full blast can wrap it up in WELL under 80 hours cheers:
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 12:20   #62
Senior - BHPian

Let me first appreciate the GQ Team for successfully completing the 6000K drive. You guys are really spirited and fuel is in your veins. I am jealous of you guys especially the family people for taking up the great escape. Waiting for the travelogue to complete so that we wont miss the thrill reading it in bits and pieces.
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 12:32   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Its been done in relay on bikes in just under 103 hours, and I'm sure in the relay run, hvk saab (with other stalwarts like Tirthankar) at full blast can wrap it up in WELL under 80 hours cheers:
A relay is always faster - even in Olympics. I don't think the GQ5 wanted to break any record. What I thought remarkable about the trip was the sheer spirit of doing it and the fellow feeling. Initially the travelers knew one another only through their posting. This speaks volumes about the power of team-bhp forum. Congrats guys.
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:02   #64
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Guys ! Great drive and would have made it but for my own drive covering coastal KA and MH of about 2.5K with my family in two cars .
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:05   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Congrats Guys ! Great drive and would have made it but for my own drive covering coastal KA and MH of about 2.5K with my family in two cars .
OT: Good. We can expect one more travelogue of coastal KA and MH very soon. So when can we have this treat VJ.

Last edited by snaronikar : 1st January 2009 at 13:07.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:33   #66
BHPian

Outstanding ! Hats off to you guys for having achieved this superb feat of covering the GQ. Never ever thought that this would be possible in India
gt_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 13:40   #67
Senior - BHPian

Thank You, Atal Behari Vajpayee, for conceiving and executing the GQ roads along with Major Gen. Khanduri, the Surface Transport Minister at that time.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 14:02   #68
Senior - BHPian

Yeah...we should thank ABVajpayee for this excellent initiative. Unfortunately, the next govt did not show the interest in completing this beautiful project. Otherwise, we would have seen many of the stretches completed and the drive would have been much more pleasent w/o any of the bad stretches.
Old 1st January 2009, 14:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

And some more thanks yous are due:

- phamilyman for his dar(ling) overnight drive from Delhi to Lucknow via Kanpur, which gave us a good idea about the NH2 till Kanpur,

- Sudipto-S-Team for his travelogue of the Calcutta-Varanasi drive which exorcised all the bad vibes about roads in Jharkand and Bihar, and gave us confidence that a smooth and fast GQ drive was indeed possible

- dr.abhijeet for his minutae account of his Delhi-Gangtok drive which was the first such long drive on this route

- vcash for telling us about his drive from Jamshedpur to Delhi via Varanasi on NH2

- Arpan for his booster of a story of his bike ride on the GQ on NH2

- ......and all our friends who broke their backs on bad roads in Orissa, who constantly fed us updates on the progressive improvement in its condition over the last 6 months

Yes, we enjoyed the hot coffee which Dheeraj and his wife brought for us at Jaipur and the warmth of filter kaapi at Gurgaon thanks to hrag's sister.

Thank you, all in Gurgaon especially phamilyman, Suman and Rajiv who gave us periodical updates on the fog conditions in Delhi region.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 16:27   #70
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
We had a fun-filled drive and it was fantastic meeting up with members at Jaipur, Gurgaon, Kolkata and Chennai.
Congratulations to all of you for this DRIVE! And I thought a 2360kms trip was BIG!!

A happy and prosperous New Year to all of you!
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 17:24   #71
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 1 - Contd...

The moment we are out of Kamat, the first thing we discussed was "Where to have good Lunch?".

We came to know about the MacDonalds just after we cross the Border of MH. So, we start our drive again.

we could clearly see a change in the landscape.

Roads to Belgaum & Kolhapur

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5706.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5707.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5709.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5719.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5722.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5725.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5729.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5734.jpg

Different tolls

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5712.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5732.jpg

The moment we entered in to the border, the vehicle was totally different, different scenes and different people. This is what the highlight of this whole trip. You see the scenes change every day so fast.

Welcome from MH

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5749.jpg

Then we reached the MacDonald. its on the left hand side of the Highway itself, so you can hardly miss this. There are sign boards well before this. Infact, there was a sign board with arrow pointing to MacDonald. A new person who do not know macDonald, will surely assume that it is a direction for someother city

Had good food. With the courtesy of Khan, we got 3 head cap from the attendant. Lol.

We felt like its time for a small Nap. Oops, we forgot we are on a GQ drive. The moment we thought of that, we became brisk and started thinking of taking pics for our fellow bhp-ians.

Here you go

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5757.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5759.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5761.jpg

Took some couple of shots in front of the macDonald with the Safari and left from there. With full enthu, we crossed those tunnels, tolls and then we reached Pune and took the by pass. We had big hope on the Mumbai-Pune expressway. But frankly its was not as well maintained as people put it and we could see bad roads too. Anyway, paid Rs140 for the toll and entered into the expressway.

Now its time for the coffee break. The moment we saw the hotel we stopped for chai there. Our HVK called and confirmed our progress and we got the ISO certification from him that we are in right pace.

Sunset from the Expressway

GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5843.jpg
GQ Drive: 2vehicles, 4meets, 5bhpians, 6days, 13states, 6000KMs.-img_5846.jpg

Then we reach the end of the expressway. We talk to our HVK and seems he is busy in a business meeting. He requested us to reach Cembur and then we all can go together to his house. We entered the Mumbai, crossed several signals, fly overs, sea links and finally we are at a signal where there was a Shivaji standing right in the middle. This was the land mark given by HVK for us to reach Cembur. Now what? We are suppose to take the straight.

This is what happens when you have a fork sort of junction and people ask you to take "straight". Which straight? The one in the left or the one in the right? Ok, we just decided to take the left one and correctly we did take the wrong straight. Lol.

When we called HVK he asked us to reach the hotel Yogi and wait for him. The instruction given was

Continue straight, you will see Baristta in your left, then take 2nd signal right and you see this Hotel Yogi.

Ok, we drove straight. The road was changing from double road to single, less traffic to crowded area and no place to take U-turn also. Especially when you are in a ship.

We reach the other end, then decide to start fresh from the begining. No no, not from Bangalore, but from the Shivaji statue Juncton. We take a U-turn, reach teh same junction and this time take the right [as in right hand direction!!!] straight. There you go, we see the barista, then 2 consecutive signal, take right and park the Safari. Now we spotted the hotel yogi and settle there for meeting HVK. Our HVK is busy with delegates and having business meeting. We waited for a sometime and then our guy comes. You now what, his delay costed as a lot. Yes, time is money, correct? hehehe...

After the initial hi and hugs, we follow the Scorpio and reach his residence in Thane. He clears his matiz to give parking slot for Safari. We get in to HVK's house, had nice Dosa. Small chat. Then we ask about jr. HVk and answer is, he is on tour. Lol. Jaise baap, waise beta. Umm.

Then we come down to make sure all things are ok for the next day travel.

Wow, HVK opens his car and shows us what he has bought for the drives. Oh man, it has EVERYTHING you need to live for next one week. From Fruits to Jucies, from bread to biscuits, from kakra to muruku, from water to electrol, and what not he had cheese spread too... ha, I remember now, he mentioned that he forgot to get jam for the bread.

He also has the invertor for charging his Laptop, phones etc. So, all prepared. Whats next? Just take a nice shower and call it a day.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 17:24   #72
BHPian

My standing ovation to you guys for such a remarkable achievement.
Excellent. 6000Kms in 6Days, wow.

Regards,
Krishna.
kittigadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 18:13   #73
Senior - BHPian

Nice narration and pics. Keep them coming...maybe a little faster.
Old 1st January 2009, 19:14   #74
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Hai TBHPns,

Reached HVK's place for a life-saving bath and good food and he dropped me off.

When I landed back to Ahmedabad, it was like being out of a washing machine after a spin dry. As MJ said, I reached back in one peace, got the train on time, sleep was difficult, train was full of children. Would have opted for another GQ run instead, at least I would've got 4 hours good sleep

@ MJ,

Lots and lots of pending work, will have to work thro. the night to finish. Tomorrow on, will join in with you to make some posts and upload pictures.

Great account and pictures, keep them flowing,

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 1st January 2009 at 19:15.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2009, 19:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

I missed the buildup to this drive as I've been quick-browsing the forum of late thanks to work related pressures..

This is an amazing effort! Would've loved to be part of it, but unfortunately the timing was wrong for me.

Waiting with bated breath for the next part of the travelogue, but with a lot a patience since you guys must be beat after this journey.

5 *s in advance, too.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote