Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th January 2009, 17:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Samurai San, Just went through the travelogue now (I was offline for some days so couldnt see it earlier).

Needless to say amazing pictorial description. It provided a wonderful read more so as I have not been to this place yet.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:20   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
i hope, travelogue is not completed yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
To Be Continued…
Ashish,

Samurai, I am also eagerly waiting for the next installment.

As usual super photography and very professional narration. Especially, those black N white photos are awesome.
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2009, 17:23   #48
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
i hope, travelogue is not completed yet.
Well, initially I was planning to add few more things that happened a week later since I wrote the travelogue after doing 3 trips back-to-back.

Like this: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...-art-form.html

The day after the Yakshagana we visited some ancient houes near by as part of the cultural trip. I'll post those pics tonight, they are not yet downloaded from the camera.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 10:41   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well i just have returned from this resort and i must say this.

This is simply the most beautiful place i have visited to date. Simply amazing view and after sunset the twilight is mind blowing. We were 8 friends and there were no other visitor. We had a ball of a time.
The staff are very friendly. The guide who accompanies you while the safari and boat ride has really sharp eyes. She actually kept us engrossed during the safari.
The cottages are really nice and food is good.
Please try the water trampoline when you do go there. We were trying all possible stunts like proff divers on it. Marvellous. The person incharge of the water sports is from mangalore and swims like a fish!

PS: For people who are going from the north please get your return tickets booked and route confirmed. Can be painful if you plan to get back without a ticket.
For people from blr there is a train from Blr to Birur junction which takes 3.5 hrs and is ver effiecient. From birur the resort guys will come to pick you up if informed in advance.
Do try out this Hotel called Preethi canteen in birur. Amazing benne dosa and set dosa.
For a person going towards hubli there are trains from birur junction to hubli.

Sorry for boring you with travel details but i just returned from the trip and the return journey was painful to say the least. Been sitting on the bus for 24 hours and it was real bad.

Well please ask for cottages 4,5,6 if given an option as cottages 7 and 8 views are not very good.

Last edited by maddy42 : 14th January 2009 at 10:45. Reason: to add details
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 11:18   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
The guide who accompanies you while the safari and boat ride has really sharp eyes. She actually kept us engrossed during the safari.
Guide!!! You had a guide? Just 20 days back we only got a speeding driver and no guides. That too a lady guide... I wonder whether the lady RFO decided to play guide for a change.

Quote:
Please try the water trampoline when you do go there. We were trying all possible stunts like proff divers on it. Marvellous. The person incharge of the water sports is from mangalore and swims like a fish!
Yes, I spoke to the guy for long, he is from Kaup actually.
Old 14th January 2009, 12:43   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do try out this Hotel called Preethi canteen in birur. Amazing benne dosa and set dosa.
Absolutely true !! Came to know about this from hari (Lukeskywalker). best place to breakfast if you start from bangalore at 4AM towards Nh206.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2009, 14:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Well samurai the guide had a great knowledge on birds and also had this tremondous spotting power.
The driver was ok but used to stop a bit for us to see animals as this lady used to make him stop.
The list of animals were
Spotted deers
Crocodile
Stork(white in color)
sambar
barking deer(We spotted like 10 of them)
a huge crane kind of bird which is a migratory one. Was awesome to look at
A serpentine eagle. Looked more like an owl and also could see that it was hunting something
Kingfisher(Not the bottled one!)
River tern
Water crow
A Jungle lizard
Old 15th January 2009, 20:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Well pics of the twilight
Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  41.8 KB

And of the water trampoline
Name:  20.jpg
Views: 2164
Size:  111.8 KB
Old 11th May 2013, 21:50   #54
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…

Quote:
Originally Posted by via PM
Hello Samurai,

I am looking for some info on Kemmannugundi to Muthodi road, that you've mentioned here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1117952 (River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…)

I've been in Kemmannugundi to Mullayanagiri road that goes through Bhadra forest. Now, planning to try this route to Muthodi.
Read the following:

Quote:
Meanwhile we are still hoping to find a route to Muthodi. Exactly at 16Kms from Kemmanugundi (the sign said so), we came across a side road that was going acutely away from our path and to the right. It was a tar road alright, but there was no sign board. At this place where 3 roads meet, they had directions signs for Kemmanugundi (the way we came from), signs for Chikmagalur/Mullaingiri (the way we were going), but there was nothing about that right turn.
This right turn is the one that goes to Muthodi Forest camp, marked as B in the below map. But the road on the google map is broken here, I have marked it in red circle, but the road exists. It is at the 16km marker for Kemmanugundi.

River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…-fullscreen-capture-5112013-94126-pm.bmp.jpg
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:21   #55
BHPian

I was the one who PMed him Thanks a lot Samurai for posting the map. Am planning to try this route next weekend, either on a friend's Bullet or i10 (hoping it's doable in i10).
370Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 23:37   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370Z View Post
either on a friend's Bullet or i10 (hoping it's doable in i10).
The i10? Keep in mind they never really fix these thru-forest roads unless the sky is falling. I suggest a high GC vehicle if available.
Old 13th May 2013, 14:37   #57
BHPian

Guys,

I have been to Muthodi last december and kemmanagundi. The roads are horrendous. My linea's engine guard got completely bent out of shape, and there was a slight oil leak from the sump as a direct results of the roads there.

There are sections where its just sharp rocks and little else, with moon craters in place. I dont exactly remember but think a 10 km section took more than 60-80 minutes., we could ounly crawl in first and second gear most of the time.

I went to chickmaglur town and did separate drives to kemmangundi and muthodi.
NoMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2013, 13:30   #58
BHPian

I did go to Muthodi forest route, mentioned by Samurai in his post above. We went on bikes (Classic 350, Duke 200, P180) and it was superb. We did that mystery forest route in reverse.

This was our route:
Mudigere --> Aldur --> Mailimane --> Jakkanahalli --> Mallandur --> Bande Kallu Gudda --> Muthodi forest camp --> forest road --> Kemmannugundi-Mullayanagiri link road (16km mark) --> Chikamagalur.

I felt this road's actually good with few bad parts, doable in a car!! Few pics - first pic is near Bande Kallu Gudda (name of the peak), 2nd one's taken somewhere between Aldur and Mallandur and the last one is from Muthodi forest route somewhere after forest camp. Forest route gets better once we are out of Bhadra reserve forest and get into estates.
Attached Thumbnails
River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…-img_2515.jpg  

River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…-img_2487.jpg  

River Tern Jungle Lodge, Kemmanugundi and then some…-muthodi_mystery_forest_road.jpg  

370Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Read the following:
This right turn is the one that goes to Muthodi Forest camp, marked as B in the below map. But the road on the google map is broken here, I have marked it in red circle, but the road exists. It is at the 16km marker for Kemmanugundi.
Hi Samurai,
Need some help and details. I am planning to visit Chikamaglur/Kemmanagundi this August. We are a total of 6 people (3 couples). I am from Chennai and I am not aware of anything in Karnataka.

The details I need are:
  1. Which is nearer to the Sanctuary entrance, Chikmagalur or Kemmanagundi? Wild life safari a must, hence this question
  2. Are there affodable homestays? If so what will be the average cost? My budget is about 1500-2000 per person.
  3. Is August off-season and will the rates come down on bargaining?
  4. What are the major attractions other than the sanctuary and approximate distance for the circuit (only the attractions)?
  5. What is the driving time from Banglore to Chikmagalur and Kemmanagundi?
I will be renting a self driven scorpio from Banglore and will be spending one Whole day in Chikmagalur. Planning to reach the homestay at around 7pm on 9th August and will start back on 11th morning. Have a full day at my disposal.
narsi_6989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2013, 18:37   #60
Team-BHP Support

Since this is a 4.5 year old travelogue, my information on price will be thoroughly outdated. I'll let some of the recent visitors to comment on that.

The Muthodi Forest camp is kind of equidistant from both places, if you take the route explained in this thread.

Beware of high chances of fallen trees on the road during this season.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote