Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 5th January 2009, 15:42   #1
Default 6 days - 1700+ Kms - Destination - Wayanad

Ever since my Queen, the Indigo XL arrived, I had wanted to do a long distance drive. Wifey had reservations - earlier long drives in our Swift had left her with aching joints and a sore back. Kid's exams as well as wifey's japanese classes kept me away from making any concrete plans. Finally my dream came true during the Christmas vacations. Initial plans to fly to the Andamans were dropped due to steep flight costs; Goa plans were dropped due to Mumbai attack. Finally, we agreed to make it to Wayanad by road from 25 Dec to 29 Dec. Fortunately, being a lean year, a week's leave from office was easily approved.
Two days of research through internet led me to some potentially good resorts / homestays. It was already past 10 Dec and many of them wrote back regret notes with offers for New Year weekend. But since Kids' school opened on 02 Jan, that didn't work for us. One response was very positive - from Wynberg Resorts. The mail was crisp and contained enough details that I did not have a need to write to others. The sender later turned out to be the owner himself. Wynberg is a Plantation Resort situated close to Kalpetta amidst a 90 acre coffee - pepper - Rubber plantation. This turned out to be a good choice - you will understand why later!
With the booking made (50% advance by funds transfer - thanks to the IT community), I started working on a detailed plan (that was when I posted the route query). Here is the final plan:
Dec 24 - Leave Chennai - 7.30 AM; Stay overnight at Whitefield (brother lives there)
Dec 25 - Leave Bangalore - 6.30 AM; Reach Resort for Lunch
Dec 26 to 28 - sight seeing in Wayanad Dt.
Dec 29 - Leave Resort - 8.00 AM; visit Palace and Chamundi hills at Mysore and stay overnight at Bangy
Dec 30 - return to Chennai after Lunch
Here is the detailed travelogue:
Dec 23: 10.45 PM - All bags packed and ready. Went to bed with plan to wake up at 6.00 AM
Dec 24: 3.00 AM - Sleep lost to excitement. Tossed around and got up at 5.15 itself. Was sure that we will be able to start on time. But with two kids to be prepared and a delay by the maid saw us leaving as usual - 40 mins behind schedule. 7:40 AM - trip meter set to 0 my queen heads out of her lot. I had planned to top her up in the morning only - so we headed towards the Shell bunk in Vadapalani only to be informed that there was no Diesel stock. Went to the HP bunk next door and tanked her up.
We had planned to have our breakfast at Sunkuvarchathiram but did not realize that I had to drive into the town to find it. So we drove on with grumbling bellies till we reached Red Chilli. We placed orders for Iddly and Dosas only to be told a little later that they were sold out. Had to staisfy with just oily puris and a tea. Wifey was pretty upset about my lack of planning for B'Fast.
On we went - I drove as adviced by many fellow TBHPians - a sedate style of driving, never pushing my queen hard and cruising at 95-100 kph. Reached Outskirts of Hosur and topped up again - viola! she returned an impressive 20kpl so far with AC running 100%. Based on directions given by some of our folks, I had no trouble reaching Whitefield for lunch. Since this was a long run after almost a year, my ankles and lower back had gone stiff a bit but I was sure I will make it. Here are two pix of my queen.
More to come...
P.S: My son has made a log of the entire trip in excel format. Will post it soon.
Attached Thumbnails
6 days - 1700+ Kms - Destination - Wayanad-dscn2924comp.jpg  

6 days - 1700+ Kms - Destination - Wayanad-dscn2926comp.jpg  

cnaganathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:59   #2

Where's the rest of the story sir? Did you get out of Whitefield yet? ;-)
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 21:00   #3
Senior - BHPian

I presume travelogue will be nice. Pls give more explanations and ofcourse pics.
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote