Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2005, 18:03   #16
BHPian
 
Rover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore, Airplanes, Hotel Rooms
Posts: 112
Thanked: Once
Default

speedsatya,

I got average FE of about 19kmpl on this trip. I have driven several times on the Bangalore - Nagpur road upto Hyderabad. The road is a song, narrow but smooth tarmac and less traffic. Often I would touch 120 kmph on the speedo without realising it....It normally takes me 8 hours from Yelahanka circle to Ring Road cross in Hyderabad -- a distance of 540 kms with a lunch break of 45 min.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 13:35   #17
BHPian
 
spider77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 125
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Nice journey man . i hve been to calicut recently but in bus, and the route we followed was from waynad, and its a awesome root, Iam planing for the trip again but this time in my baleno.would post the pics once iam through with the trip..


Karan
spider77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 13:53   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
msdivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,445
Thanked: 838 Times
Default

spider77, Rover's trip was to Calcutta. Even Akroy has done this stretch. You can find it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...e-kolkata.html (Travelogue: Bangalore to Kolkata)
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 14:06   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
Nice journey man . i hve been to calicut recently but in bus, and the route we followed was from waynad, and its a awesome root, Iam planing for the trip again but this time in my baleno.would post the pics once iam through with the trip..


Karan
Do u want to go to Calcuttaor Calicut because no way you can go to wayanad to go to Calcutta....I have done a wayanad trip, u can read the travelogue in this forum about the route etc...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 14:07   #20
rkg
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,041
Thanked: 543 Times
Default

the best route from bangalore to calcutta is via tirupati-vizag not via kurnool or hyd. both are longer not as good as tpty-vizag route. excpet for the strecth between bangalore to chittoor rest of of the road upto vizag is one of the best roads in india. after one croses the chittor 20Km from chittor u get diversion at putalapattu to tpty. from here it is a beatiful state highway of 150 odd km upto naidupet where it connects NH5. this road bypasses tirupati town. one can reach naidupet from this palce in 2 to 2 1/2 hours. from naidupet to vizag is full stretch of GQ bypassing all towns except viziawada( there is also it is bypass only). bangalore to vizag in this route is 975 KM approx.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 14:26   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
the best route from bangalore to calcutta is via tirupati-vizag not via kurnool or hyd. both are longer not as good as tpty-vizag route. excpet for the strecth between bangalore to chittoor rest of of the road upto vizag is one of the best roads in india. after one croses the chittor 20Km from chittor u get diversion at putalapattu to tpty. from here it is a beatiful state highway of 150 odd km upto naidupet where it connects NH5. this road bypasses tirupati town. one can reach naidupet from this palce in 2 to 2 1/2 hours. from naidupet to vizag is full stretch of GQ bypassing all towns except viziawada( there is also it is bypass only). bangalore to vizag in this route is 975 KM approx.
RKG, I think everything is mentioned in my travelogue....

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2007, 16:40   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 790 Times
Default

Quote:
i hve been to calicut recently but in bus, and the route we followed was from waynad
effects of mixing work with t-bhp. Karan have a nice trip to and yess dont forget to write a travelogue.happy tripping !!
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 22:16   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 656 Times
Default

Tanveer, either you have done a lot of travelling all over by road or else have a very good knowledge of topography and road conditions.. I am impressed.

I've been planning for long to drive to Bangalore but still am very undecided about the route to take. Coz, some say to go via MP and some strongly advise against and instead suggest via Mumbai/Pune.

Your take mate on this and suggestions...Thanks in advance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Till AP its good. After that its a nightmare. Its part of the north south corridor and not the quardilateral.]
Here is the map

http://www.tanveerkhaira.org/wiki/index.php/Gqmap
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 23:57   #24
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

I have done Bangalore to Nagpur by road. Thats the longest.
A cousin of mine owns a transport company, and he dreads to send his trucks through MP.
Infact valuable cargo goes through the longer router of Delhi-Bombay-Bangalore, and not the direct route because of bandit and other law and order problems.
So for you trip, look up rishi kapoors thread of Bombay to Delhi, the chappie does it pretty often.
Bombay to BLR is simple, and you just follow the golden GQ.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 13:28   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 656 Times
Default

Thanks friend. I've done Ggn-Khandala & back last June hence familiar with that section. Thanks for the tip. Will avoid MP. My sis used to do Bom-Blr in about 12 hrs. some years back, Used to tell me that it is just a sipmle straight road..

Thanks again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have done Bangalore to Nagpur by road. Thats the longest.
A cousin of mine owns a transport company, and he dreads to send his trucks through MP.
Infact valuable cargo goes through the longer router of Delhi-Bombay-Bangalore, and not the direct route because of bandit and other law and order problems.
So for you trip, look up rishi kapoors thread of Bombay to Delhi, the chappie does it pretty often.
Bombay to BLR is simple, and you just follow the golden GQ.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 14:06   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

gd,
When u have all this SUVs to drive down...why taking the longer route....take the straight route via MP...saving many kms...via HYd...

The route:
Blr (on NH7) - Hyd - Nagpur - Lakhandon (now to NH26) - Sagar - Jhansi (on NH75)- Gwalior - Agra (on NH3) - Delhi

Lakhandon to Sagar (Lakhandon to narshinghpur to be precise) may be challenging but what is that Scropios/Safaris for???....other than that it is OK throughout....Also work is on as part of NHDP phase 2 in those stretch as well, u can update us about the status....

Just make sure u dont drive in night in MP....
If you didnt like this route then u can take Blr - Pune/Mumbai - Delhi in ur return journey...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2007, 14:52   #27
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,955
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Even with an SuV the speeds would be limited to 30-40kmph max in many stretches.
Roads do not exist. When I did BLR-NAGPUR, till AP border it was fine, after that there were stretches where I had to crawl at 10kmph for many kms continuously.
My cousin does not send valuable cargo that route. So if a trucker is afraid of the route, I doubt gd will be willing to take those risks.
The shortest route is seldom the fastest.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 13:29   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 656 Times
Default

Abhi, thanks for your input but TSK is right. When his cousin doesn't send valuable cargo via MP then I with fam wud be least inclined to take this risk.

During this time a lot many have advised me to avoid MP route like a plague though I would save on fuel & time.

Quite recently a relative of my friend residing in Gwalior said that road conditions are pretty bad.

So I think I shall stick to GGN-RAJ-GUJ-MAH-KAR route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
gd,
When u have all this SUVs to drive down...why taking the longer route....take the straight route via MP...saving many kms...via HYd...

The route:
Blr (on NH7) - Hyd - Nagpur - Lakhandon (now to NH26) - Sagar - Jhansi (on NH75)- Gwalior - Agra (on NH3) - Delhi

Lakhandon to Sagar (Lakhandon to narshinghpur to be precise) may be challenging but what is that Scropios/Safaris for???....other than that it is OK throughout....Also work is on as part of NHDP phase 2 in those stretch as well, u can update us about the status....

Just make sure u dont drive in night in MP....
If you didnt like this route then u can take Blr - Pune/Mumbai - Delhi in ur return journey...

Abhi
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calcutta - Bhutan : Route Queries BlackPearl Route / Travel Queries 72 19th October 2017 10:40
Short trip from Calcutta to Rajgir rahul4640 Travelogues 17 19th November 2011 21:30
Calcutta to Asansol Road Trip - Last minute tips.. sabret00the Route / Travel Queries 16 5th March 2008 19:50
Calcutta TeamBHP house meet (The "wettest" Calcutta meet till date) shuvd The Team-BHP Meet Section 26 28th November 2007 01:19
Bombay-Mumbai; Madras-Chennai; Calcutta-Kolkata; Bangalore - ?? Rtech Shifting gears 26 15th December 2005 11:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks