Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 15:54   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Also once again today I notice one strange effect of fog on my attention. its like if you are driving in thick fog, and could not see anything other than the tail light of the car in front. and if you are following the car with a steady speed. after some time your mind feels as if both(your and in front) cars are stationary and clouds are moving by the cars. I had to look the center divider to break this mind effect.

not sure if its common or its just me :(



Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
From what my colleague (he has a ZXI) tells me, the SX4 has fog lamp switches to the right of the steering somewhere with the fog lamp logo. But he hasn't used them either so he's not 100% sure
yes that switch is what I use for front fog lamps. Will check what is the effect at rear.

Last edited by rkbharat : 19th January 2009 at 16:12.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 16:56   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

And what does one do when driving cars that aren't equipped with rear fog lamps? BTW, what are they and any pics of them should be of help.

I've seen almost all driving in dense fog with the hazard lights switched on, apart from front fog lamps or HLs or both..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Good going Rajiv, the fog was a nightmare in Gurgaon this morning. In contrast, post Dhaula Kuan, Delhi was absolutely clear!!!

I presume you are referring to the Hazard warning lights (Flasher) - if so, even though a lot of people follow this practice, it is not recommended. The harazd warning lights are normally supposed to be on only when the vehicle is stationary or moving at very slow speed & keeping them on sometimes leads to a lot of confusion.

It is always better to keep the rear fogs on. Just my own opinion.

Last edited by gd1418 : 19th January 2009 at 16:58.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 17:12   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
And what does one do when driving cars that aren't equipped with rear fog lamps? BTW, what are they and any pics of them should be of help.
Pics of rear fog lamps? Here you go, please see below pic, the illuminated lights on the rear bumper of the Safari are the rear fog lamps
Name:  IMG_1257.JPG
Views: 910
Size:  43.2 KB

Trust me, they are pretty visible in the fog.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 17:18   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Oh these. I never thought them as rear fog lamps. BTW, the yellow light has a bigger wavelength than the red one making it more visible and at a distance.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 17:38   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Oh these. I never thought them as rear fog lamps. BTW, the yellow light has a bigger wavelength than the red one making it more visible and at a distance.
Its not about the visibility. They may or may not be (debatable though, also dependant on bulb wattage).

The point is, the Hazard Warning implies just that - Hazard ahead, so be careful. The Hazard is supposed to be stationary, not moving.

Unfortunately, in India, it has been diluted to work any way that is convenient for us - hence, it has become a warning of a Moving Car. Not what it was conceptaulized for initially.

Last edited by suman : 19th January 2009 at 17:39.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 18:15   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

I agree with you totally on this Dada. Many many years back I had a shock of my life, when enroute to Ludhiana I asked for pass, the truck in front of me with an absolute clear road, immediately switched on his right indicator. I followed him for over two kms and then did a hard overtake.

Stopped him and asked him what was the meaning of this. And he replied -

साब आपको साइड तो दे दिया था, आपने लिया ही नही और पीछे पीछे चलते रहे

I asked him why did you switch on the right indicator and he said -

साब इंडिकेटर दे कर ही तो आपको साइड दिया था. साइड ऐसे ही दिया जाता है हाई वे पर.

I simply walked back to the car shaking my head..And now this has become the norm although the MV Act nowhere mentions this..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Its not about the visibility. They may or may not be (debatable though, also dependant on bulb wattage).

The point is, the Hazard Warning implies just that - Hazard ahead, so be careful. The Hazard is supposed to be stationary, not moving.

Unfortunately, in India, it has been diluted to work any way that is convenient for us - hence, it has become a warning of a Moving Car. Not what it was conceptaulized for initially.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 15:55   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Came back from chandigarh today. luckly no fog at all. This time I stayed at Western Court Sector 43, instead of Taj and did not liked it much. will be staying in Taj next time.

Today I did not stopped at all.Chandigarh Sector 43 to Delhi Border(Rohni), in flat 2.5 hrs, but another 1 hr to reach Gurgaon. Started at 4:30Am. But this time I felt some back pain during drive. I had driven continuously for 10 hours without any problem. Guess I need to start doing some exercise.

BTW I was not aware that there is a switch to activate rear fog lamp, which is not the same for front fogs.

Last night I went to Sector 17 market and man its really huge. Had a chicken Tikka burger at "Hot Millions" and did some shopping for my daughter. But chandigarh is very costly. So no point buying anything from here, when you live in Delhi.

Last edited by rkbharat : 21st January 2009 at 16:05.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 16:52   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default

Rear fog is a separate rotary ring thingie on the main light stalk only. rotate clockwise forward to activate ONCE HLs are on, it doesnt work before that.

Does so in swift!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:14   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default

GD, lot of us from the south can't read devanagari script, please restrict yourself to English script. If not, soon we may have to deal with other Indian scripts too.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2009, 17:31   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Today while returning I found New City 2008, trying to tease me by first not giving me the way on dipper, and when I overtook from left, he speed up and start dipping from behind. I gave him the way on one dip, but after overtaking he again slowed down. Now I was all set for fun.

Just a press to accelerator and City was no where near me behind. I had a grinning smile with that. Hee Hee Hee

I really love to push SX4 on highways. Innovas, Vernas, Fiestas, City etc try there best to compete, but I always beat them with just a push of accelerator and not taking risky zips.

SX4 gave me amazing 16Km/l while going as I was driving around 80 due to fog. but anything above 120 kills the FE drastically.


Yes, exactly that way in SX4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Rear fog is a separate rotary ring thingie on the main light stalk only. rotate clockwise forward to activate ONCE HLs are on, it doesnt work before that.

Does so in swift!
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2009, 01:08   #41
BHPian
 
married2speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 215
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Chandigarh -a.k.a City Beautiful

Hi Gd Bhai

Nice write up. I don't know if you were thanking me or yanking me but the thing is that chandigarh, is such a small town or city if they say, that you spend a year here and you get to know every nook and corner. With me, I grew up here so how was I not to know about the various hotels and ahem! their proximity to the cremation ground but the town is in tatters today. Originally designed for a population of 200K retired army personnel, it now boasts a population of over 1 Million. Moreover, the thing is that hotels in Chandigarh are confined to this entire lane in sector 35, sector 22 & 5 stars which are Taj, Mountview & Shivalik. So when you asked for a hotel and that too in sector 24, which is not the commonly visited place viz-a-viz comparasion with sector 17/22/35, I was . None the less, I'm glad you didn't miscount the number of roundabouts and reached the haven in double pieces, the single piece being you & the second( read as double) being the famous "sumo belly"

It's a shame you couldn't stay there for more time. Not that the place can boast for much in terms of tourist attractions, there are a few places which are worth a visit to put a "check" in front of the list. These are the open hand monument, timber trail, the PCA stadium, Chandigarh Club & the famous gehri route, although I guess your son would have more utility for that now

Well, I guess that's too much of nostalgia for me.
Nice write up. I'll rate it a 5er for sheer emotional reasons
M2S
PS- the 3rd phase of the rock garden was built in the early 90's and not in the original plan
married2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 16:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
SS-Traveller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 6,617
Thanked: 10,778 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
...the truck in front of me with an absolute clear road, immediately switched on his right indicator. I followed him for over two kms and then did a hard overtake.

Stopped him and asked him what was the meaning of this.

I asked him why did you switch on the right indicator and he said -

साब इंडिकेटर दे कर ही तो आपको साइड दिया था. साइड ऐसे ही दिया जाता है हाई वे पर.

...the MV Act nowhere mentions this...
We had a detailed discussion on this on another thread too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1151293-post127.html onwards.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 15:44   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

after my last updates, I had three round trips to Chandigarh. Last one on Tuesday. Did it on my 98 model M800, and it was fun to drive it all along.

But Delhi border is becoming painful. Couple of last trips, I am reaching border around 4-5 PM and it took me full 30 mins to cross border crossing.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 21:27   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,269
Thanked: 1,234 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Today while returning I found New City 2008, trying to tease me by first not giving me the way on dipper, and when I overtook from left, he speed up and start dipping from behind. I gave him the way on one dip, but after overtaking he again slowed down. Now I was all set for fun.

Just a press to accelerator and City was no where near me behind. I had a grinning smile with that. Hee Hee Hee

I really love to push SX4 on highways. Innovas, Vernas, Fiestas, City etc try there best to compete, but I always beat them with just a push of accelerator and not taking risky zips.

SX4 gave me amazing 16Km/l while going as I was driving around 80 due to fog. but anything above 120 kills the FE drastically.
Yes, exactly that way in SX4.
Looks like the ANHC was in the running-in period. If the recent post on the ANHC is to be believed (ANHC Vs Linea thread), he'd have given you a run for your money if he'd chosen to race. I believe the ANHC has the highest grunt at high rpms in that segment. As regards your car vs Innovas, Fiestas, etc, it looks like they were being driven sedately. I've had an opposite experience during my drive on the Pune Expressway.
Mileage drops in all cars at speeds over 110, so your FE figures seem quite normal.
As regards rear fog lights, I believe the SX4 comes with only one--the other side sports a reversing light---a good example of cost-cutting.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 21:38   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
rkbharat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Gurgaon/New Delhi
Posts: 1,590
Thanked: 608 Times
Default

Unfortunately I am not married to SX4 for life, to promote it, but either I drive too fast or it is by chance that I get sedate drivers on all my long drives
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
As regards your car vs Innovas, Fiestas, etc, it looks like they were being driven sedately.
I can not really comment on what period it was in, but he was anyways driving on 110 Km/Hr, and was doing sudden pickups and overtakes

Anyways it was a fun moment. I had no intention to race and I never race unless provoked too harshly , which happens very rarely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Looks like the ANHC was in the running-in period. If the recent post on the ANHC is to be believed (ANHC Vs Linea thread), he'd have given you a run for your money if he'd chosen to race. I believe the ANHC has the highest grunt at high rpms in that segment.
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chandigarh - Mumbai - Chandigarh : Route Queries ankit_chd Route / Travel Queries 32 16th November 2017 01:27
Gurgaon - Sambhar Lake - Ajmer - Jodhpur - Gurgaon gd1418 Travelogues 37 12th November 2013 20:46
Help! Need info on Gurgaon.... (Goodbye, Pune! Hello, Gurgaon!) vrprabhu Shifting gears 41 24th February 2011 18:27
Chandigarh-Dehradun-Chandigarh YC.BALENO.CHD Travelogues 2 25th May 2009 02:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks