Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th October 2009, 19:11   #106
BHPian

Default Awesome tripping

Fantastic prose and really gorgeous photographs of the sun and the deer and the general sight seeing.

Planning or rather checking the feasability of doing a trip Mumbai-Udaipur-Jodhpur-bikaner-jaisalmer-jodhpur-mumbai in Nov end or december. God knows!
But i will be mostly train and intercity taxi.

Good show man, wish I could do the same.
longford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 22:02   #107
BHPian

Great pictures and beautiful write-up.

Kartik
skartik2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 17:05   #108
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Longford & Kartik.

@longford: you'll be missing some stunning landscape. Drive if possible..

Quote:
Originally Posted by longford View Post
Fantastic prose and really gorgeous photographs of the sun and the deer and the general sight seeing.

Planning or rather checking the feasability of doing a trip Mumbai-Udaipur-Jodhpur-bikaner-jaisalmer-jodhpur-mumbai in Nov end or december. God knows!
But i will be mostly train and intercity taxi.

Good show man, wish I could do the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skartik2 View Post
Great pictures and beautiful write-up.

Kartik

Last edited by gd1418 : 10th October 2009 at 17:06.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 20:07   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thanks Longford & Kartik.

@longford: you'll be missing some stunning landscape. Drive if possible..
Thanks GD, I have just loved traveling your whole trip vicariously and I doubt if I could match those awesome pics.

You know, we often picture the traveler like the ones from US/Europe, carrying a backpack, with a stupid Lonely Planet Guide and a Indiana Jones Hat to match.
But your travelogue is indicative of an Indian traveller, full with biwi and beti and group of motley crew friends; some dinks and some with parental responsibilities in tow. Very different than just taking off in the bull with a six pack! Its so real man.

Every time I think of stepping out on a vacation with my family, the whole excitement of the trip is mired and laced with umpteen fine logistical details. But the thrill of seeing a new place, new sights, the food and the culture absorption, makes it all too worthy.

Today, just caught the whirlwind and closed in on the decision to vacation in Rajasthan finally. The frenzy in the last 2 hours trying to soak data, itenary and logistics, makes me wonder whether I should move into the travel career. With a mom,wife n daughter in tow, its no easy task.

Plan to train it to Udaipur, spend couple of nights with a relative of my wife, then head to the Club Mahindra resort in Kumbalgarh, 3-4 nights just chilling and then road taxi to jodhpur, couple of nights there, then off to jaisalmer, couple of nights there and then head back to Jodhpur and rail return to the marathi manoos reality.

Not sure of about me driving there, though it may be a triffle different from driving on the GQ, but the scenes of the movie Road, make me wonder if it is worth taking all that much risk driving by yourself as opposed to hiring a car and paying him a few bucks and chill at ease.

Anyway, the journey has just begun and now to look for all the data to lodge ourselves there and all those yumilicious food waiting to be devoured by me.

Thanks, again.
Old 15th October 2009, 00:11   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure of about me driving there, though it may be a triffle different from driving on the GQ, but the scenes of the movie Road, make me wonder if it is worth taking all that much risk driving by yourself as opposed to hiring a car and paying him a few bucks and chill at ease.
That is the typical mentality we must seek to avoid like the plague.

PS: What is it about antara mali that still gives you such nightmares?
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:47   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hear hear, well said.

Quote:
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 16:01   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its almost blasphemy quoting such things here on this forum.

Quote:
Maybe the under nourished look promoting fear of not getting enough nutritious food on the highways.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 22:14   #113
Senior - BHPian

Just did a 1600 km drive through Rajasthan including Bikaner and Sambhar lake three weeks ago. I will never forget the landscapes. The drive from Bikaner to Jaisalmer (I did only the first 60 kms of it till Shri Kolayat Lake) is beautiful.

Rajasthan is a place with amazing roads. I did Bikaner - Rupangarh (Sambhar Lake South Bank) at night between 11.00PM to 3.30 AM and even the bad roads (Nagaur-Didwana SH) are awesome.

Of course, I didn't have any family (or anyone, for that matter) in tow.

Last edited by architect : 15th October 2009 at 22:16.
architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 17:34   #114
BHPian

@phamilyman - Good Point.

Well, my reasoning. I will spend a whole day driving there and a whole day driving back. Might as well use the 2 days seeing some places. Plus I have a senior citizen and a 5 year old besides a wife in tow, all of whom are not very enthusiastic about sitting for 4 hrs at a stretch. Plus only 1 driver.

Leaves are numbered and my boss is not very happy with my 12 days absence. Rather spend more on doing what the places have to offer. Like nice food, colors, culture etc.

Next drive trip is Mumbai Ahmedabad/Baroda.Sometime in Jan. Can't wait to dig in the good food and the shopping stuff.

Perhaps in future, when more days permit and the wife gets up to speed on confident driving, more possibilities can happen.

Ah! Yes. The anthara mali. She is quite good. But Angelina Jolie preferred.
Old 1st November 2009, 19:19   #115
BHPian

OK. change of mind. Train travel is history.Its now a road trip. Mumbai-Udaipur-Kumbalgarh-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Mumbai. 18th-02 Dec

Thanks guys. will be posting on multiple thread contexts and look forward for your assistance.
Old 1st November 2009, 22:59   #116
Senior - BHPian

You'll never ever regret taking this decision to travel by road. Ok, now I get the Antara Mali angle. I'm not a movie buff and there was this mention of film Road, that went totally over my head.

Quote:
OK. change of mind. Train travel is history.Its now a road trip. Mumbai-Udaipur-Kumbalgarh-Jodhpur-Jaisalmer-Mumbai. 18th-02 Dec

Thanks guys. will be posting on multiple thread contexts and look forward for your assistance.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:27   #117
BHPian

Quote:

If it is Rajasthan IT HAS TO BE ROAD. Great decision. Its a haven even for off roaders since the BRO9Border Roads org) ensure that itis maintained well.

Check my experience two weeks ago @ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ur-baroda.html

Cheers, Sam
lightinin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 16:47   #118
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:

Way to go, no other way to explore Rajastan, most roads are good and you'd enjoy the drive. Nights would be pretty cold in December, so rig up with warm cloths. Let me know when you pass through Ahmedabad, if schedules permit, we can meet at the By-pass for a Chai.

Giving below a link of my old travalogue, what is left of it, the mods have archived most of it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...trip-logs.html (Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs)

=====
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:55   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Way to go, no other way to explore Rajastan, most roads are good and you'd enjoy the drive. Nights would be pretty cold in December, so rig up with warm cloths. Let me know when you pass through Ahmedabad, if schedules permit, we can meet at the By-pass for a Chai.

Giving below a link of my old travalogue, what is left of it, the mods have archived most of it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...trip-logs.html (Ahmedabad-jaisalmer-ahmedabad- Trip Logs)

=====
Dear Ramkya1,

Your log was the inspiration for my trip log. It is in this travelogue Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

Kids sitting behind did the hard work for me...

Cheers, Sam
lightinin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:13   #120
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinin95 View Post
Dear Ramkya1,

Your log was the inspiration for my trip log. It is in this travelogue Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community

Kids sitting behind did the hard work for me...

Cheers, Sam
Hai, happy to be of inspiration to someone

Just re-visited my logs briefly today; seems like a dream to read it again, great to have sites like this to travel down the memory lane and share it with like minder ppl.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote